Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
RE...AFFORDEABLE MODELLING PORTABLE AMP/PEDALS.
i'm listening to lots of the above recently. but very little cranks me up soundwise on you tube.
maybe the dsp tech is just not there yet.
lots of what i hear sounds "digital" rather than rock authentic.
some stuff is way outside my budget and costs couple of k.
looking for a unit thats highly flexible and doesnt sound like a cow passing gas. dont want that "PHHHHHTTT" sound.
and portable so i can take to a hotel room when my wife and i are on holiday; so if i get an idea..away i go on the laptop.
sorta sounds i like are all the normal classic rok sounds...
so something i dont need to do lots of tweaking to either.
some units want one to page thru useing a fone. not for me.
any ideas ? ..dont want to lug amps around.
i want something that makes me grin big time.
best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/04/21 01:39 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
IMHO you are not going to be happy with a laptop even if you invest a lot of money into something like Amplitube or Overloud THU. Those speakers just don't hack it.

If you are using good headphones then I would suggest Amplitube 4 or Bias Amp 2.

Or you could try something like this:

https://topreviewinfo.com/best-bass-guitar-headphone-amp/

and run it into your laptop. Something like this, your laptop, and BiaB/RT on your laptop may make the best scenario. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
Amplitude 5 has been out nearly 10 months and is working great for me. Even the free CS version comes with a few good amp models, You do want a decent pair of headphones.

Amplitude 5

If you sign up for their newsletter, IK drops the occasional free presets and amp sim.

I have a small practice amp with an effects loop (discontinued or I'd link it)that I run through the iOS version on an old iPod. It sounds surprisingly good. There's an Android version as well.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
I traded an instrument that needed a LOT of work for a modeling amp. I was pleasantly surprised. Is it as great an amp as my Fender Blues Jr? No, but it isn't at the bottom of the heap either.

It gives me a chance at trying out amps without any cost. I can decided if I want to put more money into the "sound" I am looking for or move on.

As mentioned by others the sound from a laptop will be problematic.

...Deb

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
All.
thanks for the input...
1. i would never use laptops on board sound. i just take my small audient usb interface on holiday..
as...so far..it hasnt given me any hiccups/probs/hassles.
2. ive got some free software modellers like freeamp...frankly they are ok for rough guide rhythm
traks down in a mix. but for those signature lead breaks (not fuzzy like a cow passing gas...) with great memorable sound pictures...nope.

i'll again look at the amplitubes and ilk etc etc...but last time i looked..didnt crank me up so much.

listen to the sound pictures on david lyndleys mercury blues or say pat benetars lead guitarists rock sound pictures, or say 38 special lead guitarist on hold on loosely. those are the sound pictures that crank me up
and give me grins.

its sorta like electric cars...lol..lots of promise...but dont deliver the range one wants.
(btw from my degree background in science i reckon we are looking at another 10 years for maturation of battery tech. just my opinion. to think in the 1950's the uk had electric vehicles delivering milk to peoples houses...lol.)
best
om

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
I think you would be happy with Amplitube 5. I have the $299.99 version and it covers a ton of amps, effects, and cabinets. I highly recommend it.

Actually 38% Of American Cars Were Electric In 1900, see here:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/25/38-percent-american-cars-electric-1900/#:~:text=Here%20are%20just%20some%20of%20the%20electric%20cars,Edith%20Bolling%20Galt%20Wilson%2C%20liked%20electric%20cars%20too.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
If this is just for noodling in a hotel, the iOS amplitude works great.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
rockstar_not.
actually..now that reaps and traction work on this...this has me intrigued...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSvHJ97d8n8
(sadly biab doesnt)....could be interesting to take on holiday.
ie the computer is in the keyboard.
traction is looking really nice..see you tube re the pi computer.
Mario.
checking out amp 5...today...thanks. i always keep an open mind.

best.
om

Veteran
Veteran
Are you taking a guitar with you, or just working on existing tracks?

If taking a guitar,
I have an older small VAmp sitting here I don't use much, just hate tossing it when there is nothing wrong with it.

The volume/wah pedal on the VAmp is pretty useless (no resistance), but there are lots of sound/sim possibilities .. and for on the road it packs small.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Journeyman
Journeyman
If you want a little box you can use outside the computer I like the Tech21 FlyRig.
I have The blonde model. I've used it for 3 years now. I practice and gig with it.
It works great for me but I'm really only after a clean sound with a little reverb
There are a number of flavors of the flyRig. Some are tweaked to sound like a bunch of hard rock guitar players I have no idea who they are.

Quilter just released an pedal/amp called the SuperblocK. They have a US and a Brit version.
I'm a fan of their stuff. I've gigged with the MicroProHd amp for a couple of years now.
Portable and good sound for my stuff.
The superblock has a small 25watt amp built in so you can actually drive a speaker with a wall wart. On the 9v battery I think it puts out a watt or so.
Anyway the US version is voiced to sound like a couple of different fender amps. Right up my alley.
The brit is probably voiced toward marshall/vox.
I think they are about $250

Hands down favorite modelling combo amp seems to be a Boss Katana (various wattages available).
That's really your basic modelling amp, but apparently approved by a lot of tone junkies.
Its all you need for home/practice/gig apparently. I've never used one.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Rharv.
you are so truly kind hearted...but ive tried that already.
kudos to you.

All.
what ive found over the years is..the dsp algorithms in both modelling amps and software only vst plug ins...do a pretty decent job with clean guitar tones.
but its the classic rok tones (i dont mean metal..) of the 70's used in wonderfull lead breaks (eg 38 special..)etc where the algos seem to fall down.
some get close...but i often feel there is "something missing".
lmao...its like my life has been spent pursuing magical rok tones. like a lot of you i suspect.

i got various stuff here..eg zoom pedal...once again ok for clean...but not much else.
i'll look at all suggestions made....and let me say your all grreat people.
merci.
best
om
ps...this might be usefull to someone...i came across an in line mic pre thats cheap (for eg shure sm series mics)
called art rp 1 WITH VARIABLE INPUT IMPEDENCE...bout 80 buks.
dunno if any good. might be of use for someone with a low gain mic pre in a usb interface.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/05/21 02:49 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
My first modeling amp was a used
Line 6 pod 2. Used on eBay for less
Than half of the cost of new at the time.

I recently got a Spark amp from positive grid.
You can hear it on my more recent songs.
Practically all my guitar is through the pod
Until the last year. On occasion i mic my boogie.

Look at the used gear on ebay and you can get a
Great deal.
Or.... Buy a Spark amp new. That spark is a great amp. I can get feedback... The kind you have with a cranked up stack where the held note goes harmonic, at whisper volume. Tone from glass shattering country clean up to over distorted metal. Affordable too. The biggest problem is the backorder time. My wait was 4 long months.

Here's a song that I played all the guutars through the spark.

https://m.soundcloud.com/herb-hartley/we-aint-got-there-yet-1

This amp is lightweight, but has 40w out so it can handle a small band on stage if you don't want ear splitting levels. This was recorded at living room volume with a mic 18" from the amp. It has Bluetooth and interfaces with a tablet or phone for absolutely beautiful control. Tons of built-in effects pedals and amps that you can customize and save as presets. Literally over 10,000 combinations for the perfect sound. Headphones out and USB out for direct recording without a mic.

Check it out. I think it's what you May be looking for

One more thing.... Joe Walsh was reported to have used a line 6 pod2 on a number of his recordings. In the interview, he mentioned that he liked being able to walk in with his guitar and a pod, plug in and not have to lug a big amp and then mess with the setup required.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 08/06/21 03:08 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have had good distorted rock tones from every amp simulator I’ve owned for the past near 20 years. It takes as much time to dial in gain, tone controls, compression, etc as it does to do a good job RECORDING a tube amp.

Don’t confuse the sound you feel in your clothing from a big bassman or twin reverb, with the sound of the same being simulated for recording.

You need to know what you are doing to record a real amp and have it sound like what you remember on stage or in the garage.

In the same way, it takes time to figure out how to dial in amp simulations, which are pretty much either just for playing over a PA or for recording.

My amp simulator has about 25 different amp sims. I’ve only taken the time to dial in the nuances of two of them, a Two Rock Emerald 50 w combo and Fender Deluxe Reverb.

With those two only, and a couple guitars, I can cover just about any tone needed with the right pedals and signal chain and pickup selection and knob settings on my guitars.

This is really no different than pedals and amps and cabinets and mics and all of the fiddling you have to do with that. But it weighs tons less! Literally.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I have purchased Waves GTR3.5 (and in addition I could select Waves Audio PRSV9 as a free plugin - part of their deals) - both Amp and pedal simulators. Considering the price, I think they sound much better than other pure software Amp simulators. Off course you will never have the exact same feeling like playing directly through an amp, but for holiday use I would say they might do pretty well

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Rockstar_not.
gosh..your a better man than i am then; if you get the sounds you want....over 20 yrs.
that blows me away. good for you.
an example of a sound i like is the "amp roar" at the beginning of the hit "turn me loose".

i'll be the first to admit i often loose patience going through lots of software menus in vst amp plug in software. (or any software for that matter.)

ALL.
thanks for all the input. and suggestions. very appreciated.
i am looking closely at that spark also. but of course not maybe a solution when one is crossing borders to go to a different country on holiday. i'm tryin to keep what i lug around to a minimum.
which leaves me with software plug ins i guess.
i also like marios little pocket sized gadget amp idea. for roughing out traks...thanks mario.
once again thanks everyone.
best
om.

Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
I paid $100.00 for this and was really surprised. Nice thing. Also, very easy to carry. There may be other manufacturers of similar products. I don't know.

Mustang micro

...Deb

Veteran
Veteran
It doesn't get much smaller than a guitar headphone amplifier. Amplifier manufacturers like Fender and Vox offer them plus there are specialty manufacturers.

While I'm normally not much for "best of" lists they can provide with a pretty good idea of what is available. +++ Here +++ is one such list.

Tie that together with an effects pedal like the +++ Zoom MS-50G +++ multieffects pedal and you'd have an awesome practice set up.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Smallest is the phone in your pocket.

My first amp sim was a Johnson j station I borrowed from a friend for a month or so. Then went cheap and bought a Behringer V-Amp 2. That had a great Fender black face, Marshall plexi and Vox AC 30 sims

I know I used the V Amp blackface sim on the clean and lead sounds on this recording. https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/YeadyV7QzJku5dxi7

Recorded that around 2000-2001 if I recall correctly with a MIM strat.

Veteran
Veteran
The Mustang critter that plugs into your guitar isn't bad but it does, more or less, sound like the modeller amp it's named for.
I've had a couple of MultiFX units in the past, I still have them (FX500/FX900/ZoomR16 & Roland Disclab 1), but none have decent crunch/distortion/fuzz and ALL need the fizz/top end rolled off.
I did have a nice, cheap VOXAC30 unit that plugged into my guitar...pre digital so analogue and circuit based. It sounded pretty good, albeit a little noisy. I "loaned" it to a friend.

For the tone you're after you should be using a ROCKMAN - the sound of Boston. They're out there in the ether, somewhere. Mind you outside a mix the Rockman can sound a little thin as it's made to "fit" and be EQd.
Oddly of late Rockman gear is being called the sound of the 80s but he was replicating/creating his sound of the 70s.

The couple of ampinabox pedals, (Joyo ACTONE is the best of mine), I do own & use are OK for draft work but I use them with some nice cab sims I acquired from a guitarist friend, (chap who only plays Gibsons & Mosrites into Marshall stacks with no fx and captured his own cabs - he's pretty cluey with tech but doesn't use it much in music making - he doesn't use his sims for anything but songwriting), and those cab sims EQ the pedals tones into something much more realistic. (I use Reaper so load ReaVerb and then load the cab into that via the file option followed by the -18dB option).
Most of the Spirit Level tracks I played rhythm guitar on were that pedal and cab sims.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
goodness. i'm stupid. thats the word i'm looking for "fizzy". thanks Rayc.
i dont want the "fizzies" in guitar sounds. i find i have to eq off the high treble.
other day i'm listening to "juke box hero", once again good rock sound. nice.
then my wife and i were watching old csi miami reruns, "wont get fooled again song" used.
hiwatts ? good rock sounds again. nice.

do you want to hear how REALLY DUMB AND STOOPID i am ?
i'm in reaps with input monitoring on one day and fooling around with the built in amp sims, and i stumbled on it...THE SOUND I LOVE; i was yelling so much my wife came rushing in thinking i had a problem.
but i never wrote down the darn settings because i had to rush to an appointment. the silliness of it is i normally document settings like crazy.
but for one smidgeon of time i had it..lmao.
thanks for all the suggestions.
om

B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I think you would be happy with Amplitube 5. I have the $299.99 version and it covers a ton of amps, effects, and cabinets. I highly recommend it.

I also use Amplitube, and can highly recommend it.

BTW, IK Multimedia is currently (until August 31) running a "Group Buy", where you buy one product and get X additional products of equal value for free (currently 3 free products, but will be more as more people join). For instance, buy Amplitube 5 CE for $149, and get T-RackS 5 SE, SampleTank 4 SE and Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE for free. Extremely good value for money, IMHO. Bummer I already own most of those products ...

/Björn

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I've always liked Revalver, had it since it was still owned by Peavey. Good sound, good impulse responses, and fairly cheap.

For hardware units, the last one I had was a Zoom G3. It wasn't bad sounding for it's time, but isn't as good as what's available now.

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,599
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193