Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#667041 08/04/21 02:43 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Play these chords any way you like. G minor, F major, E flat major, D major.
Or put them in BIAB.

Why does the D major sound pleasing when it is out of key?

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Billy, the Eb (usually it would be a 7th, i.e. Eb7) is a tritone substitution for a V7, i.e. in the case the Eb is a substitution for an A7.

The easiest way to think of tritone substitution is to replace the 7th chord to a chord, usually another 7th, 1/2 step higher than the chord you are going to next. In other words instead of G7 to C you could use C#7 to C or in your case instead of A7 to D it is Eb to D.

I wouldn't say that the D is out of key either. Based on just those 4 chords I would say that the song is in the key of D.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey...I meant for this to be in G minor. The 5 chord is a minor to keep it in key. I also play B flat major to F major with a F, F#, G bass walk back to the G minor with this progression. Sorry I should have stated the key.

I think this sort of half step down is actually pretty common. Perhaps that is the only reason it sounds normal.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think those four chords establish the key as Gminor. The D chord is most of a D7 chord, which would be expected here.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Matt,

I understand the 7 part of D7 because the 7th note of the scale is C in G natural minor scale. What I don't understand is why the F# sounds ok in the D major chord because it is not in the scale

The 5 chord in a G minor natural is D minor or D minor 7. Well unless I am complete confused.

Lost in Miami...lol

Billy

EDIT: The Chords in natural minor keys follow the pattern, minor diminished major minor minor major major. Correct?

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/04/21 05:18 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Whilst such notation seems 'out of place', there are no absolute rules that state which notes can only be played.

Study some of Bacharach's, Jim Webb's, Billy Joel's or Jobim's classic compositions. Those composers introduce subtleties that make their music sound great by not adhering to things like "never use an F# in a G minor song" wink. It introduces an element of surprise that is pleasantly interesting, and I think that's the key point you have witnessed.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So, thanks Mr. Down Under...that is logical, at least to me. When I am analyzing something I do it on the piano because it is so much less trouble than on guitar. I wrote this thing on guitar, I think I may have got this idea from Mark Knopfler. I just don't remember.

I am trying to devise a melody line and a fifth harmony. That is easer for me to peck out on the piano.

This whole pandemic thing is giving me the isolation blues. No bass player to go to her house and my keyboard player is back at home in Buenos Aires Argentina. And I don't have a airplane of my own any longer and I am certainly not " flying in from London from over the poles on a big airliner"...lol

It is always good to speak to someone living in tomorrow. We only got a 4 hour time difference here but the guys from California think cocaine will make up for the 4 hour time difference. Running for cover...lol

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/04/21 05:47 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Related question...why does Bb sound so good in the key of C? (Or maybe it is the same question already answered and I just don't know my keys or transpositions very well!)

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
or a C chord in the key of D? D-C-G is a common sequence on guitar in the key of D although I know the chords are the ones for the key of G...........

maybe key signatures are a bit more fluid than guitarists think.......

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Related question...why does Bb sound so good in the key of C? (Or maybe it is the same question already answered and I just don't know my keys or transpositions very well!)

If you were to sit at a piano and play C-E-G with your left hand and then Bb-D-F with your right you would be playing a Bb over a C major, or a C11. Very common and tasty chords. That chord on a Rhodes with some chorus.. c'est magnifique. The relationship of those 2 will be clearer on a keyboard than a guitar, but if you just barre the 3rd fret of a guitar and play all 6 strings you get the same effect. Great passing chords, those 11ths.

Last edited by eddie1261; 08/05/21 01:32 AM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Perhaps the real question is by what process can a decision be made as to what "out of key chords" are most likely to sound good in any key.

I tend to design song that stay in key. They sound more like songs from the 1950's and 1960's. It is a more simplistic way to create a song. Problem is I want to expand my ability to develop chord progressions.

This chord progression in G minor in this post came about from me just messing around on guitar. There was no critical "classical training" understanding involved. The progression stays in key except for the D major chord which has one note in the triad, F sharp which does not occur in the G natural minor scale.

What Video Track said is the most logical answer to why it sounds good but does not provide a way to consistently repeat the general idea.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/05/21 02:52 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

Hi,

I just played that Bb idea on the piano in a simple three chord progression in a more or less rock style . C, Bb, F. It does sound good and very normal.

It has at least one thing in common with my question. There is only one note that does not occur in the C major scale which is Bb. So perhaps that is one of the things to experiment with.

As passing tones/chords anything is possible I assume. F# is a common "walk up chord from F to G in the key of C.

The selection of chords is also genera based. The eleventh chords Eddie was talking about sound great in jazz but would be out of place in traditional blues for example.

As I frequently say "there are no wrong notes/chords" just ones that sound better.

The girl Eddie posted the photo of, Annie Clark plays minor seconds which is a pretty irritating sound to me. Go play C and C# at the same time. It does not get much more discordant that that. Having said that she has won a Grammy so a lot of people like her.

I frequently listen to people from Berkley or North Texas University in Denton Texas, both world famous music school. They` can play anything but often play stuff that just does not sound good to me. But...that is just me.

I never took the time and money to get a degree from a well known music school. I am sure I would think and play differently if I did.

Billy
EDIT: Also one other thing occurred to me as I have been think about this. The Bb forms the dominate seventh in the key of C. I don't clearly understand the relationship with leading tones and resolution back to the root chord. Just think out loud.

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/05/21 05:32 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
or a C chord in the key of D? D-C-G is a common sequence on guitar in the key of D although I know the chords are the ones for the key of G...........

maybe key signatures are a bit more fluid than guitarists think.......

Again that three chord progression only has one note out of key for the key of D....F#.

I have to go experiment some more with chords that only have one note out of key.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe this will help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonicization

Basically it says that a song can go through a number of temporary key signatures. Arnie Berie in his book "Chords and Progressions for Jazz and Popular Guitar" calls them key areas.

For example a chord progression in the key of C may look like this:

C-AMaj7-A6-E-E7-Am7-Dm7-G7-C.
The key areas are C - the first chord, A major - the AMaj7-A6-E-E7 then back to C.

In other words you do not have to stay in the original key signture for the entire song.

I hope this helps.

PS - if it sounds good then it is good.

Last edited by MarioD; 08/05/21 04:41 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This toes the line that is the "wrong notes" and "wrong key" discussion. There is no such thing as wrong. Music has trained us to accept the concept of wrongness. There is NO wrong. There never WAS a wrong. What there IS is what we have been programmed to accept as right. Songs get written in keys for the soprano vocalist, and then that song is covered by an alto so it's dropped a 5th, and people say it's the "wrong" key. It may be the wrong key for the soprano. It is the exact right key for the alto. There is no wrong key. There are no wrong progressions. There are no wrong notes.

See this Vic Wooten video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHdo1qWNWI4

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Mario. The concept of tonicization is something new to me along with something call Picardy third.

I assume all these concepts are well known to classically trained musicians. In the past I never understood the value in studying classical music and hoe that information could be applied to popular music.

The more I play piano the more I have a desire to get better educated. For a large part of my life guitar music has been dominate in popular music. I got caught up in guitar like zillions of other people across the whole world. No education, just pick it up and start playing it. Learning by coping other people not having any idea of what I was doing technically.

Learning that way is not a bad thing. Mark Knopfler learned that way.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Whatever you decide you think sounds wrong now will evolve with people over time.

In jazz, you are never more than a half step ‘off’. And if the soloist plays the same ‘off’ note again, it tells people you meant it and it becomes OK.

And anything goes for a passing tone.

Charlie Parker said something like, learn the rules, then break them.

Some like Ornette Coleman broke all the rules, but I’m not convinced he could have played a C Major scale upon request. That’s different.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
LOL...Yes Matt, that is a classic method for fixing a guitar solo screw up. Just repeat it so everyone thinks you wanted it that way.

I know music theory is supposed to define music and not the other way around. But the more you know the more tools you have to work with.

As I have dug into this and played others here on the forums suggestion a pattern is developing with the business of using a out of key chord that only has one note out of scale.

Asking questions is one of the fast track ways for me to learn new stuff.

Also the pandemic has separated me from most of my musical friends, many of which dislike the whole computer communication thing. We are so use to interacting face to face it is difficult to change.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here is a very rough draft of the general idea with many mistakes with the lead guitar I have to fix plus I have not written a vocal which will likely change everything.
I have to do some work on the C minor bridge but I am beginning to understand what I am doing from a theoretical perspective.
https://soundcloud.com/planobilly/g-minor-mixdown

All comments welcome.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/05/21 11:53 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
G minor, F major, E flat major, D major.

Relative Major and Minor Substitutions

A simple chord substitution is to swap out a minor chord (Dm) with its relative major (D). These chords share two of the same three notes, while the the one in the middle of the triad, is a semitone higher.

Usually you are able to have the same melody over either chord, although there will be a noticeable difference (if you have a good ear) in sound. You appear to like the difference.

The Beatles used this technique to differentiate sections of songs. The verse and chorus of “I Want to Hold Your Hand” features the Major V, but then the bridge (“And when I touch you . . .”) comes in with a minor v.

I Want to Hold Your Hand -Beatles

chorus IV V I vi IV V I

Bridge IV V IV V IV V

So you are in good company with you song writing skills. Try to mix it up each time through.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,491
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195