Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I use it. Do you?

When, where, and why?

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/normalize-dirty-word/

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
Veteran
I know there are those who say this function shouldn’t even exist. I use it when the music level needs it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I use it all the time when I'm recording non-musical audio, since often when I'm doing that I can't predict the volume of what I'm recording and I don't want the recording to clip. Normalizing brings it up to the loudest it can go without clipping or creating other audio artifacts.

I work here
Expert
Expert
I export the BIAB RealTracks to .wav. Pull them into Reaper then normalise all tracks to -12db. This gives me a point to start mixing without being too hot. The tracks combined will be somewhere near -6db (but it does vary depending on the style used) which is plenty of headroom to mix and “master”.

From there some tracks may need to come up, some down but I do have a consistent place to start.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Expert
Expert
Normalize is a poor description for what it really does which it to bring the loudest peak only to the maximum level. If the rest of the track is low by comparison, normalization doesn't fix that.

Since all of my projects during lockdown fly in tracks from other studios, it depends if I'll use it or not.

Quote:
normalise all tracks to -12db. This gives me a point to start mixing without being too hot.

For pop music, that's not a bad approach.
Quote:
I know there are those who say this function shouldn’t even exist.

Yea, that's just silly.

I can see how those who haven't a clue will apply it to every track then wonder why their mixes are distorted and horrible. Normalize is a tool like anything else.

Craig's article is really good for the person who takes the time to digest it fully and understand everything he's trying to say.

Too often, Sweetwater articles are written by manufacturer's reps or so-called "sales engineers" (ha!) who haven't a clue.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Veteran
Veteran
Here's a little side note about Craig Anderton, did you know he is presently the President of the MIDI Association? See the bottom of +++ THIS +++ webpage. I am a huge fan of Craig and the body of work he has produced.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
… I am a huge fan of Craig and the body of work he has produced.

Yes, I've been following him since his How to… articles on building your own effects boxes in the '70s.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Veteran
Veteran
I've been following him since his band Mandrake Memorial played The Electric Factory in Philly in the 60's. Great band.

Regards,

Bob

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
ive got one of craigs circuit building books around here somewhere...electronics projects for musicians if i remember.
now i think they are on the net.

best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/08/21 12:38 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Journeyman
Journeyman
I never use Normalize, because I completely loose control of my tracks in the mix - basically it's like adding an Adaptive Limiter on each track, which mean that all tracks will shout out loudest possible - which in my experience is like listening to a political conversation where all the participants shout at each other - probably interesting but very hard to focus on what being said.

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
Veteran
Veteran
No. When you use normalize, you set the target level. It doesn’t have to be a shouting 100%. You can simply boost the whole song by 3db, for example.

It’s an essential tool to have in some situations,

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Peters Garage
I never use Normalize, because I completely loose control of my tracks in the mix - basically it's like adding an Adaptive Limiter on each track, which mean that all tracks will shout out loudest possible - which in my experience is like listening to a political conversation where all the participants shout at each other - probably interesting but very hard to focus on what being said.

I do not use normalise to lift the tracks. I set all individual tracks to -12db as a point to start. It gives a base point that then allows me to make the shifts I want in the mix from a common base. Everything is at the same low volume then adding eq, compression or other effects can make the changes I want on each track. Then set each track where I want it in the stereo field and volume to have all levels where I want. (Where I feel they are best placed). Maybe use some reverb to move the track back a bit (or forward). Once I have the mixed tracks where I want them I use iZotopes Maximiser (limiter) as the last step to lift the tracks. (For most of my songs there is actual very little limiting involved. ). The levels are checked via iZotope Insight 2 as is the stereo field and phasing.

To me it makes the process easier to normalise everything at the start of the process. This can be achieved using other tools such as gain adjustments or amplification but I find “normalisation” the easiest and quickest way.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
When I discovered Izotope’s Ozone with its Maximize function about twenty years ago, that made the difference in producing tracks with the same energy as commercial tracks. Waves also made a tool for this.

However, there are still occasions where I use Normalize. It’s just a tool. Use it where it’s needed.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I only use maximizers when I master (I'm a great fan of Ozone) - never in the mix phase. Typically my final mixes neves exceed -6db measured from the Master fader, which mean that each track is as low as the -12 db as described by Teunis.

When I want to yank up the total volume, the first thing is a very lite compressor to glue the mix together, after that I use a Tape-emulator to crank part of the base volume up and add some tape saturation, then I add a Maximizer and in the end an Adaptive Limiter to take care of tiny spikes that clips and perhaps a final EQ if needed, but I try to avoid EQ'ing when mastering. I'm not say this is the only and correct way, but it works for me - the hardest part is to make sure, that I do not add unwanted dynamics or over do the saturation - it typically takes a few attempts per song to get it the way I want it.

I just tried to Normalize one of my songs instead of using my mastering chain - the final result is quite different from using my mastering method. I fully acknowledge, that everything comes down to the ears listening, time consumed in this stage of making music and last but not least personal preference/taste.

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
When I discovered Izotope’s Ozone with its Maximize function about twenty years ago, that made the difference in producing tracks with the same energy as commercial tracks. Waves also made a tool for this.

However, there are still occasions where I use Normalize. It’s just a tool. Use it where it’s needed.

Exactly.

Quote:
I never use Normalize, because I completely loose control of my tracks in the mix - basically it's like adding an Adaptive Limiter on each track, …

It's absolutely not basically like that at all.

Quote:
When I want to yank up the total volume, the first thing is a very lite compressor to glue the mix together…

Normalize does not take the place of any of this.

It's ok not to know how to use this tool. Craig's article can help you with this. If you're not going to use it, however, it helps to understand what it does and how it works, first.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran

It's ok not to know how to use this tool. Craig's article can help you with this. If you're not going to use it, however, it helps to understand what it does and how it works, first.

Thank you Mike - I will have a look at Craig's article, but I doubt very much that it'll change my approach smile

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Peters Garage

Thank you Mike - I will have a look at Craig's article, but I doubt very much that it'll change my approach smile

It doesn't matter. You should at least understand what it does and how it works. Ya never know when that comes in handy.

If you got in some of the tracks I see, you'd know why it's an important tool and nothing can take its place. Too bad that screen shots are a pia to post in these threads or I'd add a couple to demonstrate when it's needed. Perhaps tomorrow.

Veteran
Veteran

I "normalize" masters in Audacity all the time.

I am quite familiar with all the terminology in Craig's article and I own his trusty old "Big Book" for Sonar.

In the past, I really over-used tools like Ozone and I don't know why. Maybe I stopped trusting my ears and felt I had to. But I stopped. (I do trust meters though. Meters never lie.)

Most of the time now, I find that if I am careful with plugins in the mixing stage I get the exact sound I want before exporting.

At that point, all I want to do is get the "peak" where I want it, and I will often "trim whiskers" in Audacity by hand. I know, I know, I could use maximizing software, but I do not want to. It most often throws off the dynamic range I worked so hard to create and it all sounds too "metallic."

That is JUST ME though. I am sure everyone has their own way of doing it.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Too bad that screen shots are a pia to post in these threads or I'd add a couple to demonstrate when it's needed. Perhaps tomorrow.

If you do get a chance to do this, I think we'd all appreciate seeing your approach.

I work here
Journeyman
Journeyman
One very important thing I didn't know was the use of normalization to -3 or -6 db - at that point it started to make sense to me. Before this posting I only dealt with normalization to 0 db having results that completely crashed the mix balance and most of the dynamic.

I am going to play around with it on the work I do at the moment, and see what it does.

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I cited that above. Depending on the software, you can raise everything by the same amount with the target being 0 ( as loud as it can be without distortion); -3dB (for example) to leave a little room; or a percentage of full (0) such as 97%.

I use Logic Pro X for production I have never really been a big fan of normalize for what I read most people are not but this may apply to only Logic Pro x community, not sure. But I usually get my levels right, my thoughts are If I do that no need for the software to mess with my mix.

FREE Multitracks And Player APP Downloads! www.WorshipTracksLive.com
Veteran
Veteran
I doubt anyone would argue that they need normalizing when the levels are right. But anyone who always gets all the levels right has a magic touch I don't have.

Normalizing is just one tool. Use it when it's appropriate.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,561
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200