Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I don't collect guitars and I have all I want...sort of...lol

I have a 1970's Mexican Strat that I took out of the case for the first time in several months. It was still in tune. Wonders never cease. I have owned enough Fender guitars in the past to start a music store. No more.

I looked on Reverb and these cheap guitars are now going for $500 and up...way up!!

I payed perhaps $250 used for the guitar. It is the best Stratocaster I every played. Sometimes you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good guitar.

Mine is far from standard except for the neck, machine heads and the body. Rio Grande pickups and to many other mods to list.

I am not sure what it is actually worth but a lot more than I thought it was.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I had a very nice Strat at one point, was a 1994 Mexi model, maple fingerboard on brown sunburst. Think I paid around $300 CDN for it at the time, about 10 years ago, and sold it within the year since I just didn't like the sound. If I still had it I could probably get around $600.

Thinking back, I'm fairly certain I could've been very happy with it had I changed the pickups, as I've since played some very high end American Strats that had the same 'Custom Shop Noiseless Pickups" and didn't like their sound much either!

Anyway, I'm very happy with my 1980 Ibanez Blazer, sounds better than most Strats I've played and only cost $100!

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Simon,

This is one of the points I wanted to make. As we said back in California during the gold rush, "gold is where you find it". The same thing can be said about guitars. A $100 Ibanez can sound better than a $1000 custom shop Strat.

I still have the pickups that came in the Strat but I got the Strat from the guy who makes Rio Grande pickups and I new what I wanted it to sound like. The pickups were over $200 bucks. I lined the inside of the guitar with copper and changed the pots and switches. I added a second capacitor and switch. I have a set of Grover machine heads for the guitar but never got around to installing them. I did rework the nut and a bit of polishing on the bridge. So...I still have five or six hundred dollars tied up in the guitar. I am very happy with the guitar. I will say I went through a bunch of Strats before I found a good one.

This does not compete with the Andersons or the Les Paul I own as it is it's own animal.

There are zero scratches or defects in the guitar.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/06/21 11:38 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
How about 1.5 Million

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have always loved my first and only Strat. A Mexican Strat from the mid 90s makes this going on 30 years old and still plays wonderful. A little dusty now, just like me. grin

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (70.69 KB, 156 downloads)
Last edited by MusicStudent; 08/06/21 12:43 PM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Billy, I would love to dig into the history of that Strat. Can you send me the serial number so I can do that? I love doing that kind of thing!

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Cool stuff Dan. I did a sound test I recorded with the Strat when I finished the work. I uploaded it to sound cloud but I must have deleted it.

I have another Robin Tonemunger. The Strat style on steroids. Both tone knob and volume knob pull out for two positions. This was the original prototype that was supposed to go to Europe for sale there but never happened. Bart and Dave and I have been friends at high school. Dave and I play acoustic and Mandolin together in a past life...lol I opened for the Electro Magnets for Eric Johnson with this guitar. Part of my distant past. OMG, I must be starting into my 13th childhood...lol

Billy

EDIT: Special 45 Long Colt guitar slide in the case that can be used for other things also...Sorry, it a Texas thang...lol

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/06/21 02:36 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Billy, I would love to dig into the history of that Strat. Can you send me the serial number so I can do that? I love doing that kind of thing!

Sure Eddie but the neck is not original. It is a Mexican Strat neck that Bart or Dave of Rockin Robin guitar company in Houston, Texas put on the guitar for me. I sort of remember that neck came off a guitar from the 1980 or 1990. Jezze Eddie, I been to sleep at least twice sense that time.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/06/21 03:23 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
I have a 1970's Mexican Strat that I took out of the case for the first time in several months.

Sure Eddie but the neck is not original. It is a Mexican Strat neck that Bart or Dave of Rockin Robin guitar company in Houston, Texas put on the guitar for me. I sort of remember that neck came off a guitar from the 1980 or 1990.

Hi Billy,
The serial number on that Mexican neck is from 2005/6 and the original 70s Strat would have had the three-bolt, micro-adjustable neck - not a straightforward switch.
I hope Rockin Robin gave you the old 70s neck to keep, because on it's own it's probably worth more than a Mexican Strat!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
To tell the truth there is know telling what I truly remember about all this Stratocaster stuff. I have had so many Strats I got from Bart anything is possible.

All things aside, this Fender Stratocaster plays super well no matter what the year. I have a warehouse in Texas that has a bunch of necks and guitar parts. I have not been there due to the pandemic in over two years. Several vintage Fender amps, airplane parts, and god only knows what else...lol

The current neck on the guitar does not require adjustment to very often even with me leaving it in the case for the last several months tuned to standard. tuning.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
and how did hank marvin get those great "tones" on his fenders...when others struggled to get them ?
what was the secret sauce ? eg on wonderfull land song...
and loads others.
best
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well "tone" produced from any guitar if a function of the player. Of course installing different pickups can make a radical difference in the sound. How to wind pickups is a whole other subject. Less pronounced differences can be a function of the bridge, Kahler bridges sound different than Floyd Rose but they don't look too much different.

Some things just keep the guitar in tune like locking machine heads which don't really change the tone.

Tone to a very large degree is in you fingers. No two people playing the same guitar will sound exactly alike.

The nut can effect both tone and function.

I have never liked the style of bridge of older Fender Stratocaster because of the allen screws which are sharp if not ground and polished. They sit at different heights to conform to to the radius of the neck and are uncomfortable to move the palm of you hand across.

Newer Strats have different bridges. As I have said before, electric guitars are not simple machines and many things are not obvious.

It is also very common for people to like things that don't function very well. Many times they just don't know any better and many times they put up with the lack of function because they like the look of something. Form is secondary for me and follows second to function. I don buy guitars because some of my guitar hero people play a certain brand or model. Peer pressure/influence is a common factor in decision making which more often than not produces poor results.

Billy

A few things every guitar player should have.

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/07/21 04:41 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
LOL...after I looked at the above picture it reminded me that " I don't like to ware no shoes , make love to the women while I'm living, get drunk on a bottle of booze" Saturday morning in Florida...LOL

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
LOL...after I looked at the above picture it reminded me that " I don't like to ware no shoes , make love to the women while I'm living, get drunk on a bottle of booze" Saturday morning in Florida...LOL

Was thinking that would make a good song until I discovered it is...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CwkDm1tE0

Last edited by musiclover; 08/07/21 08:55 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
LOL Musiclover, as you can see, more than a few people here in the States know the words to all of David's songs. Perhaps it is a sign of serious mental illness for me to communicate in fragments of lyrics of songs...lol

Cheers,

Billy

Another reason I like Anderson Guitars, I don't have to remember when it was made...lol Well...I suppose I do have to remember if it was 1912 or 2012.

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/07/21 11:34 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
LOL Musiclover, as you can see, more than a few people here in the States know the words to all of David's songs. Perhaps it is a sign of serious mental illness for me to communicate in fragments of lyrics of songs...lol

Cheers,

Billy

Another reason I like Anderson Guitars, I don't have to remember when it was made...lol Well...I suppose I do have to remember if it was 1912 or 2012.

The presence of that date stamp explains this tattoo under my armpit.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Simon,

This is one of the points I wanted to make. As we said back in California during the gold rush, "gold is where you find it". The same thing can be said about guitars. A $100 Ibanez can sound better than a $1000 custom shop Strat.

I still have the pickups that came in the Strat but I got the Strat from the guy who makes Rio Grande pickups and I new what I wanted it to sound like. The pickups were over $200 bucks. I lined the inside of the guitar with copper and changed the pots and switches. I added a second capacitor and switch. I have a set of Grover machine heads for the guitar but never got around to installing them. I did rework the nut and a bit of polishing on the bridge. So...I still have five or six hundred dollars tied up in the guitar. I am very happy with the guitar. I will say I went through a bunch of Strats before I found a good one.

This does not compete with the Andersons or the Les Paul I own as it is it's own animal.

There are zero scratches or defects in the guitar.

Billy

Looks great! I've always liked that particular blue Fender uses - what is it, Lake Placid Blue? Either way, looks great to me!

..... But not quite as nice as that Anderson laugh

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music

Looks great! I've always liked that particular blue Fender uses - what is it, Lake Placid Blue? Either way, looks great to me!

The have Lake Placid Blue and and Sonic Blue. My Telecaster is Sonic Blue. It looks SO MUCH BETTER with the black pickguard than the white!!! Picture is fuzzy because it was dark and I took it both zoomed and with a flash.

Last edited by eddie1261; 08/10/21 05:22 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So I don't know what color it is. It reminds me of a 1963 Chevy Super Sport Convertible I had as a kid.

But then again, the car was way cooler than the guitar...lol

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/09/21 05:38 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
If you like blue...

Seize the moo-ment
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,730
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197