Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Soundcloud is now offering a Dolby-based online mastering service, where you give it a recording plus $5.00 and it gives you back a "mastered" version that will supposedly rival the product of a high-priced professional engineer. https://soundcloud.com/you/mastering

As I understand the service, there are 3 areas in which these masters supposedly excel:

1) They should sound awesome, in terms of basic music mixing fundamentals. (This would be my primary concern.)

2) They should play with a consistent sound on all kinds of different hardware – audiophile studio setup, car stereo, phone speaker, etc. (If this really works, it would be great – I'm tired of feeling like I have to listen to everything I do on every device I can play it on.)

3) They should survive uploading to various online services (YouTube, Spotify, etc.) with little modification or "penalties" that affect playback.

Now, this is fun, and there's no doubt the smarts behind this service produce some nice-sounding results. But having given in twice, I can't help but worry about how quickly those fivespots could add up, and question how cogent the "cheaper than a pro" argument really is.

Wondering if others are trying this out.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 08/12/21 11:22 AM. Reason: Correction: Dolby, not Bose
Veteran
Veteran
Mark,

Several companies offer online mastering, some for a fee and some for free.

You may want to give +++ Bandlab's Online Mastering +++ a shot.

As far as I know the only limitation is you may need to provide Bandlab with an e-mail address to open a free account with Bandlab. FYI, I provided Bandlab with an e-maill address to open a free account and have never received any junk mail or newsletters related to the account.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Expert
Expert
$5 is nothing. You'll like the results or you won't. If pleased, no reason not to keep on keeping on. Compare with what Bob Ludwig or other equally well-known name will charge you. Then you get to the pros whose names you do not know—we can't do it for $5 either.

Your tracks go into a preset matrix of plugs and parameters that give pretty good results for a lot of people. It will likely survive the automatic compression applied by YouTube. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that but you do get what you pay for.

At this point, a reality check is in order.
Quote:
2) They should play with a consistent sound on all kinds of different hardware – audiophile studio setup, car stereo, phone speaker, etc. (If this really works, it would be great – I'm tired of feeling like I have to listen to everything I do on every device I can play it on.)

That mix does not exist and never will. The destination makes a huge difference. CDs, Radio, YouTube, TV etc. each has different requirements. KLOVe Christian radio is a good example where, if you don't master for their 10W format, your mix is at the mercy of the brickwall limiting that they will apply for maximum signal strength.

If you have a desire to master, $5 per song is a really inexpensive way to learn. You pay the money, compare it to your own attempts and learn things or not. Which leads to

There's no set of plugins or tools that just does the work for you–it does not matter how many marketing departments and fanboys of A, B, C or whatever say differently. Likewise, if inexperienced, you will not learn enough in a 30 day evaluation.

That said, iZotope Ozone is on sale for half price or less (depending on the bundle).
iZotope Ozone 9 Sale

It's a good set of tools at a great price with good support forums etc. Ozone Standard will get you there but the Tonal Balance Bundle includes Ozone Advanced (more and separate plugins) and Nectar 3 Plus for the price of Nectar, an awesome tool for vocal production that includes Melodyne. Music Production Suite 4 adds Insight 2 (advanced monitoring), RX 8 (audio cleanup) and three wicked cool reverbs (R4, Nimbus and Neoverb). Divide any of those prices by $5.

These aren't the only tools I use anymore but it's a good basic set that will let you master for any environment you encounter. Learn how to use them and you'll be telling others,
Quote:
$5 is nothing. You'll like the results or you won't etc.…

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks, gents. I now have a Bandlab login and will be exploring the other tools mentioned.

As for Soundcloud mastering being an inexpensive way to learn, I wish! I may love the results, but I'm not going to be able to reverse engineer them for future projects. It's not like you get a report of all the changes made; you have to be able to listen to the recording and hear, then reproduce, them. And if you can already do that, hey, you're in better shape than me.

Plus, you're starting their process with an already-mixed-down stereo recording, which isn't the way one would work when starting out with 8 tracks. Of course, if the output from this base stereo mix is a whole set of separate mixes optimized for different hardware/streamers, that would be extremely useful, but this is not that; it's just one stereo remix.

Give me a service that lets me upload a Logic project then sends it backs to me with individual tracks adjusted then mixed down, with a full report on all actions taken! Now THAT would be $5.00 well spent!

Veteran
Veteran
Likely similar algorithms to what Ozone can do. You select a genre, a source option (CD, Stream, Vinyl, etc) and perhaps a few more and voila. Or you can purchase and select one Ozone's zillion presets. Ultimately it's whether you like the result or not. I reckon after paying $5 for enough of them you could just buy Ozone. I started with Ozone presets but now use its separate modules and roll my on.

Everything is so contextual. An algorithm can easily tonal balance your tunes by genre, roughly determine compression needs, give you the right LUFs for streaming or even "match" a reference song but does it match what you feel? Has it "changed" your notion of how the vocal or an instrumental performance should sound to you, etc.

Old man rant.

Bud

EDIT: just noticed that Mike had already mentioned Ozone.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I need to learn more about Ozone, reckon I'll try their free trial. I'm looking for something to integrate into Logic, not something to process Logic output, so this should tell me how it hangs together. Thanks.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Later... oh MAN! Looks like the way to try Izotope tools is to subscribe to the entire product line and get 7 days of everything for free. This is as daunting as Adobe. I need to focus on seeing what Ozone is and avoid the temptation to "try" (as if I actually could) all the other pretty stuff. But it's all SO pretty!

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Later... oh MAN! Looks like the way to try Izotope tools is to subscribe to the entire product line and get 7 days of everything for free. This is as daunting as Adobe. I need to focus on seeing what Ozone is and avoid the temptation to "try" (as if I actually could) all the other pretty stuff. But it's all SO pretty!

Mark, I’m a happy user of Logic and Izotope and BiaB products since 2012. Have fun!

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
So is everyone mastering their own stuff now days? What happened to the idea that another set of ears was a better idea for mastering?

I am not suggesting that one thing is better than the other, just asking the question.

Also professional mastering has gone from not so expensive to out of site so it is certainly not economically viable for most of us.

Here is a quoit from Pro Musician Hub. "How Much Does Music Mastering Cost?
The cost of music mastering can vary depending on who does it and where you live. In general, you can expect to pay between $50 and $200 for each song if you want to receive a quality end product. When you master an album, 10 tracks will run between $500 and $2,000.

If you need to mix and master the track, you will spend between $150 and $700 for a good quality song. The cost can be significantly higher if you use a top level producer, but you can get a radio-worthy product in this range. Mixing and mastering an album with 10 tracks will cost between $1,500 and $7,000.

So a five dollar fee is not much if it provides any value. The last time I posted some quick demo track to soundcloud they offered me three free mastering service. As the demo was meaningless to begin with I tried it and it sounded much better than the raw stuff I posted.

Learning to do pro level mastering is not an easy thing to do and escaping you own bias is also not easy. Just why the idea of another set of ears comes into play. Many pro studio engineers do not master their own stuff.

Five bucks? Less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Having said that most of my hobbies have become more expensive than I can any longer afford. Two days of fishing in my stupid little boat now cost around $1500. I just hope I die before I run out of money...lol

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

Learning to do pro level mastering is not an easy thing to do and escaping you own bias is also not easy. Just why the idea of another set of ears comes into play. Many pro studio engineers do not master their own stuff.

Five bucks? Less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Having said that most of my hobbies have become more expensive than I can any longer afford. Two days of fishing in my stupid little boat now cost around $1500. I just hope I die before I run out of money...lol

Billy

Even with iZotope Ozone mastering is a steep up hill learning, and the tool, though brilliant, is not for free - so I second your world class sentence
"Most of my hobbies have become more expensive" - that's indeed 9999% true

I'm not poor - I just have an expensive hobby

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
(Note...please dont slam me for the following views. they come from the school of studio hard knocks...lol..
note below "gas" is gear acquisition syndrome.)

RE..MODERN MASTERING AND OTHER TOOLS.
1. whenever i get "gas", and i must say up front lots of these modern tools are very good, i ask myself "am i fooling myself ?"..."do i really need this "?..."am i trying" ...to quote a studio engr i once knew "to put lipstick on a pig" ? to quote him.."if the darn source traks arent there, your out of luck buddy".
2. i also remind myself that loads of world class songs were done in past music eras when these tools hadnt been created. so why do i need them ? maybe i'm just not good enough in my creation of the original song track ?
i'm always beating myself up like this..lol.
3. there is always the danger if one doesnt fully understand the dsp based software tool, that actually i might be doing more harm than good to the song. there is also the aspect that my application of the tool , although it might make my song sound groovy on my speakers etc etc,..it might not on other peoples systems. been there done that.
4. given the above, i think of the word "paranoia". this is the root of our continued "gas".
yes, i, like everyone else wants the best result for our songs, but i feel we get too paranoid.
sometimes. we worry ..will people hate the song ? am i good enough ? and many other thoughts percolate through our minds. my goodness , in my paranoia ive even dreamt in my sleep...lol.
thus, given the forgoing we get into these cycles of worry and "gas"... and buying more and more stuff.
frankly i realised years ago this is unhealthy, both for my psyche and my wallet.

SO WHAT IS THE RESOLUTION ?..heres mine.
i just say to myself to do my best, and dont worry if i dont have all the latest tools, ...
and if people dont like the song...so be it.
i take my lumps.....then i go buy a nice present for my wife, who , crazily encourages my "gas"..all the time...lol.
ps..Note....if a big record label shows interest in signing you , probably they will take your song (or songs) and remix probably useing their own studio engineers and tools.

and heres a finance tip from my old grannie who i dearly miss and lost years back....
"let your eyes be your guide, and your money the last thing you part with". very wise was my grannie.
best and i hope i make some sense.
oldmuso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/10/21 02:43 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
Obviously a lot of folks have vested financial interests in maintaining a carte blanc notion that one should not do their own mastering.

Just saying.

Bud

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I have to confess, I'm a little unclear about what exactly mastering IS in the modern world of DAW music-making.

I mean, if I have a Logic project with 4 audio tracks and 4 MIDI tracks, feeding into a stereo output track, I will be making tweaks to both the 8 part tracks and the output track right up until I bounce it. So where is the line between mastering and whatever precedes mastering in post-production?

The sense I'm getting (BTW in case it isn't obvious I'm an non-pro as is possible to be) is that the mastering being discussed here comes after a final stereo mix, and is applied to a stereo recording. Certainly that's what the Soundcloud thing is. This of course involves the limitation that all the parts are married at that point, and can no longer be individually adjusted (fancy AI doesn't count). Does mastering as such involve only global changes that affect the entire recording?

I do totally get it if we're talking about a process where you get multiple masters for a variety of services and hardware platforms. (Here's song123-for-youtube.wav, here's song123-for-apple-music.m4a, etc.) But Soundcloud doesn't offer that. You just get one recording, with very little in the way of controls ("Blue Sky" vs. "Thunder" etc.) and a specific emphasis on avoiding loudness penalties by streaming services.

Veteran
Veteran
Yes mastering is considered post mixing. I never light up a mastering chain until I’ve stuck a fork in the mix. The idea as you alluded to is making global touches to the mix. For me it’s typically light EQ, multi-band compression, imaging and limiting. No way could I envision doing such as I mix. There are times when I might make a change to the mix after mastering but not often and if so I go through the chain again.

FWIW, etc,.

Bud

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks, Bud, this is all very helpful. Oh, and playing with Ozone presets in Logic is way fun.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I would spring for that at least once. Thanks for the heads up

Veteran
Veteran
All of this high tech modern stuff or old lo tech stuff no matter where or how it is done does not preclude making a good song with nothing more than a tape recorder, a guitar and a vocal. Do the guitar reverb with your vibrato and sing in a way people like. Write lyrics people like, which by the way you have little control of.

Write a song and when you get through write another one. If you live long enough you may just screw up and write a hit song...lol

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Journeyman
Journeyman
Well Billy - having written songs for 15 years or more is one thing, but it's also very satisfying to make them sound like it's not recorded on a tape deck device from 1970's - but getting close to pro-studio quality, because today it is within reach.

To me it's more fun to hear your own work in an audio quality that sounds awesome, where ever you play it back.

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
Expert
Expert
Matter of choice , I am busy recording my music on to reels of tape on my 1970s Revox A77 And I've never heard them so Good !!.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I am busy using 2021 audio mastering software on low quality cassette tracks from 1982 (the kind recorded by bouncing between two stereo decks, the kind so old you should really bake the cassette before playing it.)

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 08/14/21 02:30 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,623
Posts735,196
Members38,520
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186