Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Well this is embarrassing. This isn't a Bose service, it's Dolby, but although I am able to change my original subject, all replies retain the incorrect information. Sorry about that!

Veteran
Veteran

Jim,

I just tried the Bandlab online tool. Pretty cool for four presets.

I would just advise: Make sure not to press button at end: "Would you like to share your mix with Bandlab so others can use it for free and make samples of your tune? Press here. Press here."

Other than that, cool!

However, it is funny, I used Loudness Penalty to spec out a tune and master it for Spotify. Then Bandlab turned it up 1.7. Then Loudness Penality said turn it back down.

Will it never stop!!!!!

smile

Veteran
Veteran
That's ridiculous beatmaster. You need to get with the program.

Follow the science man.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Tascam-Porta-One.jpg (36.93 KB, 157 downloads)
Expert
Expert
David Man !! Good pic but that isn't a Revox L.O.L.

As i said matter of choice , think that's why the clinical sound from CD discs is fading and reel to reel is the new Black (vinyl).

And the vinyl come back !!, that's following the science . l.o.l.

Not to mention plug ins tape saturators etc .???.

Last edited by beatmaster; 08/13/21 08:03 AM.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes

a) but I'm not going to be able to reverse engineer them for future projects.

b) Plus, you're starting their process with an already-mixed-down stereo recording...

c) Give me a service that lets me upload a Logic project then sends it backs to me with individual tracks adjusted then mixed down, with a full report on all actions taken!

a) if you have decent ears and gear you will be able to hear and see differences in level, EQ etc. THAT's the learning point if you're inclined to pay a fiver for this sort of thing.

b) MASTERING has, traditionally, been preparing a finished mono, stereo or surround sounds track for reproduction. many M.E.s will happily STEM MASTER for a client - a blend of correcting sonic errors of the stems and mastering the end result of that and CAN, if requested/advised and agreed, involve a little rebalancing of those stems to make a better end result and therefore a better product for reproduction. I've asked for stem mastering many times and learnt an HUGE amount from it. I haven't had that done for quite a while because I learnt plenty that improved my mixes as well as tracking. It's obviously more time intensive and costs more. A good M.E. will let you know if you need to fix stuff before they'll touch your song - they don't want to be associated with something that is a bad end result.

and
c)that's mixing...there're lots of folk who will mix via up n download for you but it's pretty expensive. Most will allow a few revisions with the cost package and may even master the end result for you.

Having a realistic expectation of your skills as a cook, a chef's skills and what an automated sausage maker can do is always a good thing.

If you REALLY want to find out the difference save up a little then invest in having a mix of yours mastered by a M.E. and by one of those up n download processes then compare the differences.
It'll let you know a lot about your song, your recording and what can be done with it. All up you might be out AUS$60, (I wouldn't recommend using an expensive or NAME M.E. 1st time but you'll KNOW.

I get my stuff mastered IF I think the song's good enough becasue I don't have the ears, room or gear to master effectively and I'm easy pray to ALL of the psychoacoustic tricks employed by shysters and the automated lot.

SOME folk can self master because they have decent ears, lots of experience AND patience. Bud, above, is one of them but I only know three home recordists who have what it takes to make a master sound like a master.

I still have two Yamaha FourTrack cassette machines (MT100s) and a VERY old stereo reel to reel machine. I do use them when I'm in the mood OR want THAT sound. I'm not keen on using a tape saturation plug when I can saturate a reel of tape and use the outs from that, (cassettes don't REALLY do the tape saturation thing though running them into the red does sound good often). I even have an outboard Dolby tape processor to do the NR thing. Working ITB isn't bad though - particularly when a 24 channel deck & machine aren't in the room.

Last edited by rayc; 08/14/21 10:12 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Veteran
Veteran

One psychoacoustic trick is to make it louder.

Oooh, ooh, it sounds mastered.

No, they just turned it up and charged you...

smile

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
(replying to rayc)

Regarding the ability to "reverse engineer" Soundcloud masterings by listening:

Sure, I'll be able to hear some stuff, especially if the tweaks are static, like if SC just applies a customized "Blue Sky" patch to the entire recording.

But if it's dynamic, if SC is adjusting dozens of parameters constantly, from moment to moment, frequency band to frequency band, yikes, that's just not something I can imagine hearing clearly enough on my own to try to reproduce.

An obvious factor here is that Soundcloud/Dolby DOES NOT WANT TO BE TOO HELPFUL in this area, and the more I contemplate this sad little factoid of life, the less inclined I am to want to put time or money here. I mean, when I say it would be nice if, along with the recording, you also got back a report saying "we did this this and this", it almost sounds ridiculously kumbaya, since of source they aren't going to do that if they want to keep you coming back for another $5 hit (no pun intended!)

Having now played around a bit with Soundcloud and Izotope, and having subscribed to the sprawling Izotope package for month-to-month use, I don't see myself using Soundcloud again. Maybe I'll check out the free preview clips for ideas, but not buy the whole track. This is all for my personal use – and if I'm looking to learn, why go to someone who will never tell me what I need to know?

Thought: Soundcloud wants to sell me a subscription to fully prepared fish dinners. Izotope wants me to learn to fish and cook so they can lease me fishing tackle and kitchen appliances.

Anyway! Regarding the relationship between mixing and mastering:

All the information you provide here is much appreciated (and obviously much needed by my fairly clueless self.) To be clear, I know nothing of the real world of professional musicians or engineers, I work at home on my iMac, and am about as likely to consider hiring a pro to mix my latest creation as I am to consider hiring a pro to write this post. So I just work away using BIAB and Logic and whatever until I can bounce it down to what I think is good; there's no reason for me to add a separate mixed-down stage to the project since there's no need for that division of labor.

Thanks again...
Mark

Veteran
Veteran
Mark,
I work at home on my P.C.
I work away using BIAB, my instruments and Reaper until I can bounce it down to what I think is good.
IF my song and mix seem "good" I spend the small amount of cash to have it "mastered" because I can't do that step, for the reasons explained.
I don't do it often.
The difference it makes is amazing.
The difference having an objective pair of ears listen carefully and communicate what they hear is equally amazing.

I suspect the Soundcloud, and other algorithm based, processors are static...IF you're lucky they "listen" to the track, match your requirements to a template and modify the template according to the source the process.
if you're unlucky it'll just apply the template before processing. It's very unlikely they'd shift settings within a track.

The "subscription model" is the new way of milking.
At AUS$1.10 a day for the Izotope bundle seems cheap but it's $1,200 over three years. OUCH.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Soundcloud at least pretends to listen; there's a cute animation. Thing is, during the setup operation, it does this for 30 second "preview" chunks you choose, and can re-choose if you want, and I'm not sure what the price is for choosing badly. It says to pick the part with the most dynamic range, but what if I don't? Do I get a terrible master because of that really noisy part I forgot about?

Regarding subscriptions: Yeah, there's some heinous stuff going on, but I find a subscription to something like EastWest's "ComposerCloud" really valuable as a source of bazillions of virtual instruments I could never buy on their own. Izotope gives a free week, which I went into expecting I'd pay $20 for the first month after that; I may or may not continue, but I don't know how else I could get to try out all this stuff.

Veteran
Veteran

Mark,

From time to time, Ozone Elements goes on sale for 29.99. I think it may be on sale at plugin boutique right now for 19.99.

Ozone 9 Elements packs a lot of punch for 30 bucks. It has a stereoizer built in (Imager) and also a master assistant button that will listen and make suggestions as a starting point.

The presets I think are more than enough as starting points for most mixes.

As I have said elsewhere, the "master" is really a final little sprinkle of fairy dust--the hard part is in the mix, and if you are careful with effects and EQs on each track, then the master should be easy.

It is a mistake to try and solve mixing issues in a "master"--which I am sure you already know. You cannot take the tomato out of the tomato soup once it is made, so to speak.

Anyway, for ease and economy I have recommended Ozone 9 Elements to a lot of folks and they seem happy. Sometimes less is more--though I am sure Ozone would be happy to sell you the $5,000 version.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks, David.

The pricing here is crazymaking: Ozone Elements currently goes for $129, unless you buy it with 3 other things where the whole "suite" is... $49? I think that's really happening, but it does make the unfamiliar wonder if there's some product difference to be known about.

I'll probably just keep using "MUSIC PRODUCTION SUITE PRO" for the next month, then let the subscription drop and go for something like this.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
I'll probably just keep using "MUSIC PRODUCTION SUITE PRO" for the next month.

That the version I have. I like to have all the tools at my disposal and they are awesome tools!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Steve. To be clear, I'm talking about the "Music Production Suite" subscription service, which I believe is not *exactly* the same as the purchaseable product package. (One difference may be the inclusion of standalone applications, not sure.)

Oh, and now I see there's the "Izotope Everything" package, for a mere $2500! https://www.izotope.com/en/products/everything-bundle.html

Veteran
Veteran
Mark,

Keep your eye on that Musicians Bundle if it is $49.

I got it with Ozone 9 Essentials, Nectar 3 Essentials and Neutron 3 Essentials. (Also Iris and Rx, but I don't ever use those.) By the way, I have older, fuller versions of the same, but the features inside Essentials are all I ever use. And they are lightweight.

Nectar 3 is Amazing for vocals, and I use Neutron 3 in the signal chain on almost every track on every song, with the bass, drums, guitar and vocal presets (along with other plugins).

These plugins really bring tracks to life. For example, if you have a BIAB acoustic and you run it through the 12 string preset on Neutron 3 your eyes will pop out. It's a huge difference.

If you can get the same for $49 and learn how to use them they will radically change your sound.

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the clarification Mark. I have "Music Production Suite 4" as an outright purchase and do not use their subscription service. During previous years I had smaller packages and when upgrades came around would spend a little more $$$ to upgrade the whole package.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
@DavidSnyder: "Ozone 9 Elements packs a lot of punch for 30 bucks. It has a stereoizer built in (Imager) and also a master assistant button that will listen and make suggestions as a starting point. The presets I think are more than enough as starting points for most mixes."

I found that using Ozone9 Elements as a plugin on a vocal track, often with Nectar Essentials plugin ahead of it, provides some interesting "magic" even with just using the presets supplied.

"Misusing" a plugin instead of for what it was intended can add some fun to the creating music process!

Cz...
BIAB,Bandlab Cakewalk,Kontakt, Cantabile, SampleTank4,IK BX-3, VB3, iZotope Suite, IK TRacks, Melodyne Studio
Kurzweil PC4SE, AXIOM-61key & IKiRigPro-32key boards, Roland SD-50 MIDI, Behringer 404HD, Maschine MK3,TC Helicon Voiceworks
Veteran
Veteran

I agree!

I misuse plugins all the time!

smile

As I said in another place, I use Neutron Essentials on almost every track, and Ozone 9 Essentials and Ozone Nectar 3 on every mix.

I have to say, though, I also have Ozone 5, and that thing is a BEAST. I see on you tube that a lot of producers swear by it and seem to like it too.

Older versions of stuff can have their place.

Like Nectar 2.

Also a beast.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Keep your eye on that Musicians Bundle if it is $49. I got it with Ozone 9 Essentials, Nectar 3 Essentials and Neutron 3 Essentials. (Also Iris and Rx, but I don't ever use those.)

Now on sale for $29.

https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/elements-suite.html

Veteran
Veteran
Get it.

smile

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Get it.

smile

I did. =8^) Just finished deleting all the subscription stuff and tried out my new plugins.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,632
Posts735,245
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 180