Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The computer will not even boot up to the bios.

Everything else in the old computer is more or
less new. So I want to replace the motherboard and processor with one that can be used with win 11. This computer will be a backup and does not need to be super fast as the new i9 I built serves that purpose. I was also considering installing a win 7 CD I have to be able to use a very nice Pro Fire 2626 interface plus a Native instruments pedal board that will not work on Win 10.

I was considering a Micro Center Intel Core i5-10600K Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.8 GHz Unlocked LGA1200 (Intel 400 Series chipset) 125W Bundle with ASUS Prime B460M-A Micro mATX Motherboard Aura Sync RGB, Dual M.2

I have 16 gigs of DDR4 setting here extra from the last build.

Better ideas?

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/10/21 08:19 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Your ideas sound fine to me. But do you know that your power supply is ok? RAM fully seated? Do you get any beeps or codes when booting?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Matt,

I replaced the power supply not very long ago. The computer stopped suddenly and it tried to re-boot continually until I disconnected the power. I have not checked the ram but I will.

No, it did not beep or say a lonesome word. I have not dug into it but the MB is getting pretty old and the i7 is the same one you have in some of your machines. 47??...I don't recall.

Any way it is like a old girlfriend who just keeps coming over that you don't want to see but you are still are half way in love with...lol

It turns back on and stays on now but sends no signal to the screen.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
That could be a motherboard problem. Did it used to give you beeps at power on?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Some motherboards will beep a certain number of times, as Matt suggested. Some motherboards will flash an LED a specific number of times to report error codes. Check the motherboard's handbook for how to interpret error codes for your specific equipment.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Honestly a 9th or 10th gen i5 is probably powerful enough, or an equivalent Ryzen. I tend to go for either Asus or Gigabyte motherboards if I have a choice, but I've also had MSI and Intel boards that were good.

Also, if the BIOS uses a battery, remove it for a while just in case. Also also, try adding a discrete video card if it doesn't have one, or remove it and use integrated video if it does. Triple also, unplug anything from the power supply except the motherboard.

I work here
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Some motherboards will beep a certain number of times, as Matt suggested. Some motherboards will flash an LED a specific number of times to report error codes. Check the motherboard's handbook for how to interpret error codes for your specific equipment.

Hi, this is the same issue that caused me to replace the power supply, a new heatsink and fan and spend $1500 plus on a new I9 machine. Now the old machine has quit again and I am fed up with dealing with it. It will not run win 11, not that I have any interest in win 11 at the moment.

The motherboard is old, five years plus, DDR3 and a i7 4470 around 2013 I think.

Time to upgrade.

My Nissan Truck is giving me a bit of trouble, my body is screwing up, and my brain also needs an upgrade...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Guys,

I did all that stuff...changed video cards. This is a dead motherboard I am pretty sure. The motherboard never beeped. It flashes codes but they are normal.

My main question now is what processor and motherboard to buy. Everything else is OK, new SSD. I don't need anything special for a video card. I generally like ASUS GigaByte also. The other thing was a bundle for around $300. I have not really started searching for the best deal.

The new i9 is faster than I can actually use. It does run BIAB a warp speed.

What I want to do is play my guitar, not work on this wayward computer...lol Redheaded step child it is becoming.

Seize the moo-ment
Online Content
Hi Mat
If you going to setup window 7 on the new machine you will need a motherboard that accepts a (Intel) skylake CPU I7 or less as Windows 7 cannot be set up in any newer MB and CPU. I believe also that new Graphic card and other things won't install with a windows 7 system on new MB's.

From Windows 7 help and support
Hardware & Devices

"The 300-series intel motherboard chipsets will not work with win7 (i.e. the usb ports) unless you get a usb add-on card. My recommendation is get a Z270 motherboard with an i7-6700k."

https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/419410-motherboards-win-7-support-whats-best.html

Hope this helps as Microsoft shuts the door in many ways on the old windows 7.1.

Windows7 x64 Ultimate, Sound Blaster ZxR
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
why not just get a refurb pc with win 7 (or 10) on.
loads around under 200 bukkies.
best
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Found this processor for pretty cheap
Intel Core i5-10600K Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.8 GHz Unlocked LGA1200 (Intel 400 Series Chipset) 125W

Seize the moo-ment
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Found this processor for pretty cheap
Intel Core i5-10600K Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.8 GHz Unlocked LGA1200 (Intel 400 Series Chipset) 125W

Great CPU, but the 10th generation Intel chips are not supported in Windows 7 - this stops with the 9th generation for i9 and i7 chips, and 6th generation for i5 and i3. There's a full list of supported CPU's on this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

I work here
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Glad to hear everyone has been able to give you some helpful advice! However, this is the Band-in-a-Box for Windows subforum. You may get even more suggestions and recommendations if you post next time in the Help! Tech S.O.S subforum which is specifically for the purpose allowing people to get assistance from the community for any computer related or music equipment tech question, found here: https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=93&page=1

We hope this helps!

Cheers,
Ember
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have a Lap Top that is running on Win 7. I think I will just keep this machine on win 10.

I ordered this
GIGABYTE B460M DS3H V2 (LGA 1200/ Intel/ B460/ Micro-ATX/M.2/ SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 1/ Motherboard)

Took a look and returned it.

I got this instead. GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS Elite AC (Intel LGA1200/Z490/ATX/2xM.2 Thermal Guard/Realtek ALC1200/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 2/Intel 802.11ac/2.5 GbE LAN/RGB Fusion/Gaming Motherboard)

It will be interesting to see how this new i5 runs in comparison to this old i7. The new i9 has been for sure faster with BIAB.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I have a Lap Top that is running on Win 7. I think I will just keep this machine on win 10.

Good plan. I wouldn't want to use Windows 7 unless I absolutely had to.

I ordered this
GIGABYTE B460M DS3H V2 (LGA 1200/ Intel/ B460/ Micro-ATX/M.2/ SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 1/ Motherboard)

Took a look and returned it.

I got this instead. GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS Elite AC (Intel LGA1200/Z490/ATX/2xM.2 Thermal Guard/Realtek ALC1200/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 2/Intel 802.11ac/2.5 GbE LAN/RGB Fusion/Gaming Motherboard)

Good move. The Z-series chipsets are always a bit better.

It will be interesting to see how this new i5 runs in comparison to this old i7. The new i9 has been for sure faster with BIAB

It'll be just a little bit of a speed boost: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-4770-vs-Intel-i5-10600K/1907vs3735

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195