Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran

Every Time I Do on Soundcloud
Every Time I Do on YouTube

It's a song about a peppered parakeet –wait... no it's not. I don't even know what that is or even if it's a thing. I just like a little alliteration. It's a song about moving on when a relationship just isn't working. Well, the song just wasn't working until it got a healthy dose of Blue Attitude. When Dave Bell agreed to play some fills and a solo, the song started taking on a much better feel.

When I was laying down the bass track (going direct and with headphones), I noticed my phone, which was is my pocket, started playing an alarm I forgot to delete. It was right at the end. See if you can hear it. I have no idea how it was recorded, but maybe I should start doing my vocals through my bass pickups.

Comments and constructive suggestions are highly appreciated.

Style is _BLSHUFF.STY (Fast Swing 8th Blues w/ Organ)

RealTracks in style: ~425:Organ, B3, Background Blues Sw 120
RealTracks in style: 421:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Blues Sw 120
RealTracks in style: ~585:Guitar, Resophonic, Rhythm Blues Muddy Sw 120
Loop in Song: Loops PAK 1\Jazz\Drums, Acoustic, JazzPopSnapsClapsA Sw 120.wav
RealDrums [in style:BluesShuffleHard^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Ride

Dave Bell – guitar
me –bass and vocal (and alarm clock)

Every Time I Do
Comin' home one night... Or was it early the next day?
...I heard a peppered parakeet singin' songs my way.
She was singing, she was groovin' and I stepped in time to keep in line. Oh yeah.
And I learned her happy dance so I thought I'd take a chance once more with you.
But every time I do I can still hear you slammin' doors sayin' we're through.

Suddenly the Sun comes up and clouds my happy face.
The sunny day was pushed away, slowin' down my pace.
Then that birdie chased me down and she turned my gloomy frown around to a smile.
When you bounced back to my mind you pushed that parakeet behind somewhere. But she's there,
cuz every time you do I believe it's true. You don't care that she's there.

BR: I remember you and all the crazy things you'd do to stunt our stride.
Now you walk alone, and you see how much I've grown without you by my side.

Time goes by in time, and it's still without you here.
Your sounds are muffled footsteps, but the budgie's song is clear.
When that bird flew after me, I'll admit I couldn't see her flight that night,
She was singing songs of glee when she circled over me. I sing along so strong.
Every time I do I sometimes think of you but you're gone. So so long.
Every time I do I never think of you cuz you're gone. So long.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
nice shuffle song.
that bass really works well.
enjoyed it and the lyrics.
actually i liked the ending...change nothing.
(maybe people will play the ending backwards like they used to... to see if any hidden messages..lol.)
best to you.
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/08/21 05:09 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Marty,

Good rockin' Blues - well done.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,
...peppered parakeet.. sounds like a nice tropical delicatessen. Sorry, did not hear alarm, but I heard a very good blues rock tune. You are one hell of a singer! Dave's guitar sounds great, a perfect player for the genre. Performance and mix is ACE. I wish I could say something useful, but there is nothing I would change. Congrats on another fun collab!
Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As a non Continental America I hear the language slightly differently...
In the line
"Comin' home one night... Or was it early the next day?"
The use of THEEE rather than the softer the (thuh) sticks out.
Partially because of my regional bias but also becasue THEE seems to be a bit emphatic and formal in that line.
I wouldn't change it for me but have a listen and suss out whether formality and emphasis are required.
The song's a cracker ... I really enjoyed it.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Marty,

On SoundCloud I wrote you need a birdcage, or learn how to dance?
At least it's not your song. That is swinging enough to practise on.
Your lyrics are very funny. The parallel with that parrot (kind of) is very nice.
And I think Dave's participation on the guitar was a good one to brighten up the song even more.
So (my) tumbs up!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty / Dave,

Another great collaboration! Fun and driving rock - Loved it!

I would definitely make the title of this "Peppered Parakeet". smile

You guys have a winner!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very groovy blues with tight arrangement, great singing and guitar playing - enjoyed the bass line and Dave's soloing. Nice story with an interesting gleeful bird made me smile, liked the combination of the upbeat feeling and the break-up situation.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You can't go wrong with us even with an average blues shuffle but when it's this good ... yeah man!!!!

Really good vocal performance and write and vid.

Rock solid nailed foundation with your bass and Dave's guitar is excellent as always - as Gregg would say he's hittin' the note!

Excellent mix also. That bass is cutting through with zero mud. That takes both good playing and mixing.

Fun!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome groove Marty and Dave. Super vocal and Dave's guitar was awesome. Boy those walking basslines were just excellent. Well done guys.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Hi BabuMusic,

Really cool vibe with your song. The lyrics gave me a chuckle too. The song had kind of a "Your Mama Don't Dance and Your Daddy Don't Rock and Roll" kind of cadence. And wow, the Dave Bell fills and solo's make me kind of jealous because I can't play a lick. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the listen.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty

A very engaging shuffle, well sung and written. Bass sounds very good and Dave's playing is always a treat.

A cohesive "band" sound and nice work all round.

Peter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Good song. Superb guitar playing. Lyrics worked well. Everything sounded good, including BIAB. Good one.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great bluesy shuffle Marty! Your vocal is excellent! Your band is right and tight!!! Dave's guitar work is sweet! I love your approach to bass playing! You always do the right thing and play your lines right in the pocket! Nice work on a great tune! Thanks, Torrey

Last edited by Torrey Bliss; 08/10/21 07:35 AM.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks to everyone that mentioned my very small part in this song, and thanks to Marty for the invite!

Always a pleasure.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Hey Marty,

This sounds great! I really enjoyed this.

Good work guys!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
nice shuffle song.
that bass really works well.
enjoyed it and the lyrics.
actually i liked the ending...change nothing.
(maybe people will play the ending backwards like they used to... to see if any hidden messages..lol.)
best to you.
om

Thanks, OM (you are in my prayers -hehe). Wonder if playing the alarm backwards puts you to sleep.
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Marty,

Good rockin' Blues - well done.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks, Nigel.
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty,
...peppered parakeet.. sounds like a nice tropical delicatessen. Sorry, did not hear alarm, but I heard a very good blues rock tune. You are one hell of a singer! Dave's guitar sounds great, a perfect player for the genre. Performance and mix is ACE. I wish I could say something useful, but there is nothing I would change. Congrats on another fun collab!
Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

Thanks, Misha. You have no idea how useful your comment really is; it is highly flammable fuel for the next project.
Originally Posted By: rayc
As a non Continental America I hear the language slightly differently...
In the line
"Comin' home one night... Or was it early the next day?"
The use of THEEE rather than the softer the (thuh) sticks out.
Partially because of my regional bias but also becasue THEE seems to be a bit emphatic and formal in that line.
I wouldn't change it for me but have a listen and suss out whether formality and emphasis are required.
The song's a cracker ... I really enjoyed it.

Thanks so much, Ray. Man, I wish you were there when I was writing this. Much angst was put into that decision. You're absolutely right about the formality of THEE; it sounds rather biblical. You're also correct in that the long e is only used preceding a word that starts with a vowel or a silent h. Thuh sounded too duh so I tried changing the lyric, but the "the" always ended up in there. If it was a 16th note, it would've been fine, but it always ended up as a dotted 8th --too long for a duh sound. Wait --thanks for the inspiration, Ray. Here is what it should be: "Comin' home one night... or was it earlier next day?"

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice groove, smooooth vocals, great guitar, a winner all the way around!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hello Marty,

On SoundCloud I wrote you need a birdcage, or learn how to dance?
At least it's not your song. That is swinging enough to practise on.
Your lyrics are very funny. The parallel with that parrot (kind of) is very nice.
And I think Dave's participation on the guitar was a good one to brighten up the song even more.
So (my) tumbs up!

Hans

Haha. Thanks, Hans. Wish there wasn't so much water between us. It would be great to meet you in person.

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Marty / Dave,

Another great collaboration! Fun and driving rock - Loved it!

I would definitely make the title of this "Peppered Parakeet". smile

You guys have a winner!

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I went through a lot of mental experiments trying to make those two words make sense, but...

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very groovy blues with tight arrangement, great singing and guitar playing - enjoyed the bass line and Dave's soloing. Nice story with an interesting gleeful bird made me smile, liked the combination of the upbeat feeling and the break-up situation.

Janne

Thanks, Janne. Upbeat breakup. I like that. Sometimes it goes that way.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Marty,

COOL Rock-y Blues!!

Awesome Bass!

Dave is Smokin'!!!

Nice vocals.

Excellent mix. Tight.

Great listening...

fj

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,563
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200