Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hoodoo Woman
© 2021 Trad Arr (Bessie Brown, 1923) J. Merritt, B. Merritt & P. Fulham

We thought we were knowledgeable about the public domain blues catalog until we discovered this song by Bessie Brown written nearly 100 years ago (originally as Louisiana Hoodoo Blues). Although she was a Bessie Smith contemporary we had not heard of her. A heckuva lyric in our opinion for the time (or any time) and we are thrilled to have found it. Thank you Ms Brown! And Peter and PG Music.
Listens and comments are appreciated. Lyrics on SC.

Glossary smile

Hoodoo - not voodoo but a well defined spiritual belief system that was brought over during slavery times and survives to this day in parts of the South - in Louisiana in particular. 

Dumplings - a notable southern US dough based dish but popular in many forms around the world.

Graveyard Dust or Goofer Dust - used to cast a harmful spell

Black Cat Bone - used for romantic success

Gris Gris - a packet of material to bring the wearer good luck

Conjure (noun) - a potent form of magic

Janice: vocal, melody & arrangement
Bud: very minor lyric tweaks, arrangement, progression, mix and Janice photo
Peter: guitar solos, fills, rhythm and arrangement

Bass: RealTrack 2435 NewOrleansShuffle Sw 130
Rendered DI > Logic Pro X bass amp/cabinet/mic > Waves Bass Rider

Piano: MidiSuperTrack 1800 Rhythm Texas Blues Rock Shuffle Sw 130
Logic Grand Steinway > Waves CLA Unplugged

Drums: RealDrums Blues Rock Shuffle > Waves CLA Drums
Snare double from from RD file sample > Waves CLA Drums
Kick double from RD file sample > Waves CLA Drums
Cymbal from RD file sample > Waves JJP Cymbals

Mastering: Ozone 9 EQ > Ozone 9 multi-band compressor > Ozone 9 Imager > Ozone 9 Maximizer > Ozone Tonal Balance 2 > Logic Pro Loudness Meter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is a big week on the forum: FJ drops a piece of wonderful love positivity and now J&B with Peter deliver a slab of the darker side of that same equation.
A track that deserves the glossary of terms.
Words that are common enough in usage but uttered in relative ignorance.

From the fire starter lead in the intro to the sputtering lick that sees the song out Peter plays to illuminate the song.
The rhythm section reminds me of Screamin' Lord Sutch's band...British heart pumping blues with a solid THWACK n Thud.
The narrative is a cool slice of obsession that's too god for Halloween festivities.
Janice's delivery - from the dragged syllables to the scat - is a perfect resurrection machine for this story of DIY possession & defence.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

This is one helluva good time y'all.

smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wouldn't expect less from the masters. Loved the bebop part!

Cheers

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Everyone, great job by all of you! That song was ahead of it's time! All parts sound excellent! Super polished and ready for the masses! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
This is a big week on the forum: FJ drops a piece of wonderful love positivity and now J&B with Peter deliver a slab of the darker side of that same equation.

From the fire starter lead in the intro to the sputtering lick that sees the song out Peter plays to illuminate the song.
The rhythm section reminds me of Screamin' Lord Sutch's band...British heart pumping blues with a solid THWACK n Thud.
The narrative is a cool slice of obsession that's too god for Halloween festivities.
Janice's delivery - from the dragged syllables to the scat - is a perfect resurrection machine for this story of DIY possession & defence.

We always appreciate your production counsel and comments here.

We felt like we found a gem and are very pleased that you feel we did it justice.

Your descriptions above alone are worth the effort!

"Dragged syllables to the scat" Yep, Janice had fun with this one and the vocals went very quickly.

Thanks for all Ray.

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Janice & Bud,

You have done a good job bringing this old tune up-to-date.

Everything sounds good to me except maybe the lead guitar solo - IMHO it is too far back in the mix - It is a very tasty guitar solo and deserves to be featured more.

The lead breaks in the Blues are normally the same volume, centre and front to back position as the lead vocals.

Would Love to hear a remix.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Another very tasty revitalisation, team. Great work by all, as per usual.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Janice & Bud,

You have done a good job bringing this old tune up-to-date.

Everything sounds good to me except maybe the lead guitar solo - IMHO it is too far back in the mix - It is a very tasty guitar solo and deserves to be featured more.

The lead breaks in the Blues are normally the same volume, centre and front to back position as the lead vocals.

Would Love to hear a remix.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel,
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm good with the solo volume (I have heard quite a few blues guitar solos grin ) it builds and gets louder as it goes (and sounds quite loud to me especially through headphones) - adds some dynamics.

Panning wise it's in the centre.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I can second that the solo is centred AND builds in level and tension.
I don't think it'd sound right any louder either.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud & Peter,

I love the way you are finding and breathing new life into these old songs.

A big swinging vocal from Janice up against Peter's blistering guitar is a match made in rock n blues...

The arrangement, production and overall presentation are top shelf. None better!

Loved it all!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ah, you know I'm a big fan of all you guys do --including your music. hehe. Anyway, this, as to be expected, is absolutely outstanding in every way. Janice, you could sing the bark off a tree; Peter, you were born with taste in your fingers, and, Bud, you add a whole new dimension to the concept of super glue. Great find on this treasure hunt, and, like musical alchemists, you guys turn it into gold. [And here I thought hoodoos were stalagmite-types in Bryce Canyon.]

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quite a leap from the original, this modern rock version is very far from the slow blues, but it really kicks and rocks. The production is excellent and Peter's guitar sounds amazing, really enjoyed the effects and playing. Janice's vocals are better than ever, great variations and the scatting part completes the perfect blues rock package full of gris gris, I'm sure Bessie is dancing to the tune right now.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

This is one helluva good time y'all.

smile

And we had the same producing it!

Thanks David

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Wouldn't expect less from the masters. Loved the bebop part!

Cheers

Mike B.

Thanks Mike. Janice had a lot of fun with that part!

J&B

User Showcase
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
WOWSER ! the lady can sing ! loved the vocal style on this.
one word SUPERB. I MEAN THIS SINCERELY !
loved that geetar at 1m25secs.
loved those notes at 1m47secs etc etc.
YOU GUYS KNOW HOW TO ARRANGE A SONG !
on the scat at 2m31secs how bout doubling the scat vocs ?
could be fun ?

i dont get excited bout much these days (jaded perhaps ?lol.) but such a pleasure to listen to this.
its a great pity this type of song never appears on the
hit parade these days.
TASTY ! you guys should call yourselves "TOTAL TALENT"
best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/19/21 10:24 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Dear Bud, Ms. Janice, & Peter...

First thought that came into my mind while I was listening to 'Hoodoo Woman' was, "Damn, but I wish I could have heard this performed live!" The production had a certain 'good-times-at-the-club' kind of energy, and the subject matter, as humorously sinister as it was, was just kind of thing an audience would expect to hear with the kind of music you all performed.

The other thing I really wanna bring out into the open, here, is 'PeterF'(s) electric guitar solo. Damn, man! Countdown...blast-off...reaching escape velocity, now...leaving the solar system...watch out for that black hole! Wailin'. If an electric guitar was a species of canine, this is the way it would howl. You took my breath away with this solo, sir. Really. I am, like, blo-w-w-wn away, dude.

Carve another notch on the bar stool leg, folks laugh !!!

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Everyone, great job by all of you! That song was ahead of it's time! All parts sound excellent! Super polished and ready for the masses! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi guys and girls love the energy and the vocal was awesome then again Janice always does a great job loved all of it and Peter super job on the guitar work!!!!! and Bud great work on the mix and arrangement you guys are a great team of talent thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Another very tasty revitalisation, team. Great work by all, as per usual.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks Leon!

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I thought this was a Janice bud and peter song !!. Honestly never read all the post until my first listen .

You do have a plus on us guys ...? You got janice !.

Seriously you all done a part and this sounds brilliant, I am off to try find the original !.

Thanks

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You three always kick butt (PC version) when it comes to the blues and this is no exception! I love the blues and I love this one.

Outstanding song.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice, Bud & Peter,

A big swinging vocal from Janice up against Peter's blistering guitar is a match made in rock n blues...

The arrangement, production and overall presentation are top shelf. None better!

Loved it all!

Bob

Thanks Bob it’s like a treasure hunt and each year on Jan 1st (in the US) more songs are added. We most appreciate your comments!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
J&B&P,

Great opening. Immediately think "this is a good mix!" and a comprehensive band sound to introduce the song and the players. SOLID.

There is NO question - That girl should be a STAR. (She IS a STAR in my book). A "truly gifted singer" doesn't even begin to describe it... Simply - As Good As They Come.

Peter's guitar work just keep getting better and better. This is polished to a very high gloss. A stunning solo!!

Bass and Drums are PERFECT. Piano is tucked in nicely.

Scattin' brings goosebumps.

DAMN! the mix on this is good!! Pro. No Doubt.

"Hitting on all cylinders" and then some.

fj

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Janice & Bud & Peter,

Another splendid composition. Nice voice, nice guitar solo and very well done arrangement. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi J&B + Peter,

Fabulous performance, really bringing this song up to date with a vengeance.

Obviously, Janice is flying on this one, but then so is Peter with what is almost a metal solo.
I can hear what Nigel means about the solo being too far back, but I also agree that the volume is about right.
I think the answer lies with the reverb, which seems to position the guitar further back. Maybe a shorter reverb would place it better?
A minor thing anyway, and the mix is generally great.
Loved the song.
Cheers,
ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Ah, you know I'm a big fan of all you guys do --including your music. hehe. Anyway, this, as to be expected, is absolutely outstanding in every way. Janice, you could sing the bark off a tree; Peter, you were born with taste in your fingers, and, Bud, you add a whole new dimension to the concept of super glue. Great find on this treasure hunt, and, like musical alchemists, you guys turn it into gold. [And here I thought hoodoos were stalagmite-types in Bryce Canyon.]

Thanks Marty. Reading that was as much fun as making the song!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud & Peter,

Loved it all!

Bob

Thanks for the blistering remarks Bob.

Peter

Originally Posted By: rayc

Thanks for mentioning my part it was an interesting & fun project all round.

Peter.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Good use of Public Domain material. Nice vocals and killer electric guitar work. Great mix. The band was rocking hot.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Damn, you are so good!
Janice - Big A+ From swinging vocals to freestyle impro - Amazing! Peter, fantastic guitars. Solo is a killer.
Bud, great work of putting it all together in one fantastic package. Super arrangement, mix and artwork!
I believe Bessie would approve. Congrats team! Also, thanks for the glossary! Enjoyed it, and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice, Bud and Peter,

I go for the Black cat bones! I have to of those black creatures, so within some time I have a lot of them (bones).
That Bessie is some vengeful woman if you take her man. But she could make very good lyrics on that too!
And the three of you made a marvellous song. The vocals are rock solid, but that is a 'normal' fact.
And so is the band (but that's a normal fact too). I enjoyed it very much and can't say that enough.

Did Bessie sang herself this kind of song? Did she sang more of these Hoodoo songs?
Or did her new husband stayed long enough?
By the way, now I'm trying to make me some of that gris-gris! Looks like usable stuff...

Kind regards,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Quite a leap from the original, this modern rock version is very far from the slow blues, but it really kicks and rocks. The production is excellent and Peter's guitar sounds amazing, really enjoyed the effects and playing. Janice's vocals are better than ever, great variations and the scatting part completes the perfect blues rock package full of gris gris, I'm sure Bessie is dancing to the tune right now.

Janne

Glad you got to hear the original. It’s fun to rearrange these old songs while trying to maintain the spirit of the original. Thanks for mentioning the scat and, yes, we too hope she would like it. Thanks for all!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud & Peter,

Loved it all!

Bob

Thanks for the comments Bob.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
could be fun ?

i dont get excited bout much these days (jaded perhaps ?lol.) but such a pleasure to listen to this.
hit parade these days.
best
om

Thanks for those supportive remarks! They are appreciated. The scat being a scat was just riffing like an instrument. She could never do it the same way again smile She struggles just to sing verses the same way!

Bud

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 08/25/21 04:59 AM.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Enjoyed the song and appreciated the glossary. I've been wondering about some of that ever since I first heard the Dr. John album:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gris-Gris

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear Bud, Ms. Janice, & Peter...

First thought that came into my mind while I was listening to 'Hoodoo Woman' was, "Damn, but I wish I could have heard this performed live!" The production had a certain 'good-times-at-the-club' kind of energy, and the subject matter, as humorously sinister as it was, was just kind of thing an audience would expect to hear with the kind of music you all performed.

The other thing I really wanna bring out into the open, here, is 'PeterF'(s) electric guitar solo. Damn, man! Countdown...blast-off...reaching escape velocity, now...leaving the solar system...watch out for that black hole! Wailin'. If an electric guitar was a species of canine, this is the way it would howl. You took my breath away with this solo, sir. Really. I am, like, blo-w-w-wn away, dude.

Carve another notch on the bar stool leg, folks laugh !!!

We much appreciate you mentioning hearing it live because that is exactly the feel we nearly always try to achieve with our productions! So that means a lot. And, yep, Peter scorched this one. Thank you for your continued support.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
could be fun ?

hit parade these days.
best
om

Thanks for the comments

Peter

Originally Posted By: jannesan

Janne

Thanks Janne

Peter

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic

Appreciate the comments Marty.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice PD find. Sounds like everyone is having lots of fun. I enjoyed it.
Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi guys and girls love the energy and the vocal was awesome then again Janice always does a great job loved all of it and Peter super job on the guitar work!!!!! and Bud great work on the mix and arrangement you guys are a great team of talent thanks eric

Thanks Eric!

We always appreciate you listening and commenting!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Oh yeah!!!

A shot of classic Janice and classic Peter. Bartender, I'll have another.

Absolutely loved this. Driving energy that keeps going.

Who through the gasoline on the fire???

Flawless production.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I saw the upload notice for this a while back on fb but I wanted to wait until I had enough free time to give it the listen I knew it would deserve.

You guys have a knack of finding these old songs and putting a modern spin on them, man, what a great song!

Great intro, and Peter always does a fabulous job on the guitars.

And Janice! She absolutely nailed the vocal, I don't see how it could possibly be better. And man, that scat is one of the coolest things I've ever heard! Just outstanding smile

Great song, great arrangement, great performances by all plus a killer mix = perfection!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
I thought this was a Janice bud and peter song !!. Honestly never read all the post until my first listen .

You do have a plus on us guys ...? You got janice !.

Seriously you all done a part and this sounds brilliant, I am off to try find the original !.

Thanks

Thanks!! The original is on YouTube and is waaaay slower.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
You three always kick butt (PC version) when it comes to the blues and this is no exception! I love the blues and I love this one.
Outstanding song.

Thanks Mario! We are assuredly fellow blues lovers.

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
You Do HooDoo !

You guys are knocking them out of the park.
Love the fresh take on this oldie.

Moto

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
J&B&P,

Great opening. Immediately think "this is a good mix!" and a comprehensive band sound to introduce the song and the players. SOLID.

There is NO question - That girl should be a STAR. (She IS a STAR in my book). A "truly gifted singer" doesn't even begin to describe it... Simply - As Good As They Come.

Peter's guitar work just keep getting better and better. This is polished to a very high gloss. A stunning solo!!

fj

What to say regarding your comments?

We hugely appreciate your review. Simply stated it makes it all worthwhile.

Thank you!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like how you find and then take these old songs and make them new while still maintaining the gritty feel of the original.

Nicely done.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
F
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
F
Great job, the mix is spot on! Can I ask a few questions...

- In your song description for the drums

Do you export the BIAB drums to midi and than use the Waves CLA Drums to be triggered? And then play it along the BIAB file? Does that what you mean by double?

I love the drum sound you have on this.

As well what does Public Domain music mean?
Thanks for the time and consideration for my questions, I'm trying to get better at the mixing and mastering aspect of music production...so I ask people who are good at it. grin

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Janice & Bud & Peter,

Another splendid composition. Nice voice, nice guitar solo and very well done arrangement. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks. It was fun!

J&B

User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
J&B and Peter,

Killer blues number—wonderful production, every single element. Peter’s guitar solos shine; Janice does her usual awesome job on those smoky vocals (nice scatting!). A wonder what you guys do with some of these old tunes. Sounds fresh and new! Great stuff!

All my best,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a great discovery! Loved this tune and of course it's a superb vehicle for Janice's amazing vocals. Terrific work putting it all together.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi J&B + Peter,

Fabulous performance, really bringing this song up to date with a vengeance.

Obviously, Janice is flying on this one, but then so is Peter with what is almost a metal solo.
I can hear what Nigel means about the solo being too far back, but I also agree that the volume is about right.
I think the answer lies with the reverb, which seems to position the guitar further back. Maybe a shorter reverb would place it better?
A minor thing anyway, and the mix is generally great.
Loved the song.
Cheers,
ROG.

Thanks ROG. I’ll defer to Peter’s response to Nigel regarding his guitar tracks. We felt they sat well in the mix. We’ve done 55 songs with Peter and I’ve never added an fx to his guitar smile

Glad you liked the tune!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Good use of Public Domain material. Nice vocals and killer electric guitar work. Great mix. The band was rocking hot.

Thanks for ALL of that!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Damn, you are so good!
Janice - Big A+ From swinging vocals to freestyle impro - Amazing! Peter, fantastic guitars. Solo is a killer.
Bud, great work of putting it all together in one fantastic package. Super arrangement, mix and artwork!
I believe Bessie would approve. Congrats team! Also, thanks for the glossary! Enjoyed it, and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

You are very generous Misha. Janice was delighted you liked her scatting. She often scats guitar and sax solos around the house smile. Your mix comments are greatly appreciated and we too hope Bessie would approve.

Thank you!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Janice, Bud and Peter,

I go for the Black cat bones! I have to of those black creatures, so within some time I have a lot of them (bones).
That Bessie is some vengeful woman if you take her man. But she could make very good lyrics on that too!
And the three of you made a marvellous song. The vocals are rock solid, but that is a 'normal' fact.
And so is the band (but that's a normal fact too). I enjoyed it very much and can't say that enough.

Did Bessie sang herself this kind of song? Did she sang more of these Hoodoo songs?
Or did her new husband stayed long enough?
By the way, now I'm trying to make me some of that gris-gris! Looks like usable stuff...

Kind regards,
Hans

Hey, good luck with the gris gris. Let us know if you win the lotto smile

Bessie did a very slow version with a completely different melody and we could not find any other songs like this from her. The Hoodoo and Voodoo songs were somewhat popular in the 1920's.

We're all three glad you like the tune!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Enjoyed the song and appreciated the glossary. I've been wondering about some of that ever since I first heard the Dr. John album:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gris-Gris

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Nice PD find. Sounds like everyone is having lots of fun. I enjoyed it.
Josie

Thanks y’all!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice, Peter and Bud.

This is so good that my "How Fantastic Is This Song?" meter went beserk!!!

From arrangement to performances to final production, this is very satisfying listening.

Janice: Your singing was way beyond brilliant. Your performance was bursting with sparkle and shine. After listening to this, I'm convinced that you own this genre! I loved the way you interwove your vocals with Peter's outstanding guitar playing. In so many ways, this was a duet of superb soloists coming together to create a masterpiece of the very highest calibre. Your scat singing had me grinning from ear to ear. It was sensational. You and Peter reminded me an awful lot of Cleo Laine and John Dankworth. In the below clip, Cleo does quite a lot of scat singing against John's saxophone playing. If you have a listen, I think you'll see why you reminded me of this couple.

Peter: Your guitar playing was absolutely incredible. I don't think I've ever heard you perform better. It seemed to me that you and Janice thrived on one another's musical energy. There was a remarkable synergy between the two of you that created a work where the "whole" was so much more than the "parts."

Bud: I don't know how you managed it, but you captured an incredible live-performance feel. This is truly a fantastic arrangement and mix. I envy your ability to pull this together and create such a fine finished product.

Literally... I'm blown away with the talent on show here.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Oh yeah!!!

A shot of classic Janice and classic Peter. Bartender, I'll have another.

Absolutely loved this. Driving energy that keeps going.

Who through the gasoline on the fire???

Flawless production.

That was great to read over the morning coffee. Thank you very much!
We are very glad you liked it.

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Lord only knows what kind of spells you was casting with that scat verse. Guys, this is killer. Excellent rhythm section with Peter in the lead. Janice singing every blue note in her repertoire from falsetto high to deep and dark. Excellent leads. All mixed clear as a Louisiana moonlight. (I don't think that's really a thing, but I'm sticking with).

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Wow. This is excellent.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
So again thanks for the comments on my part in this song.

I just listened to it again myself, and that vocal is truly incredible.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I saw the upload notice for this a while back on fb but I wanted to wait until I had enough free time to give it the listen I knew it would deserve.

You guys have a knack of finding these old songs and putting a modern spin on them, man, what a great song!

Great intro, and Peter always does a fabulous job on the guitars.

And Janice! She absolutely nailed the vocal, I don't see how it could possibly be better. And man, that scat is one of the coolest things I've ever heard! Just outstanding smile

Great song, great arrangement, great performances by all plus a killer mix = perfection!

Thanks Dave. And Janice was very happy you liked the scat. Hey Bud gets to hear scat guitars and saxophones around the house all the time! We appreciate you.

J&B

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
You Do HooDoo !

You guys are knocking them out of the park.
Love the fresh take on this oldie.

Moto

Thanks Cap’n!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I like how you find and then take these old songs and make them new while still maintaining the gritty feel of the original.

Nicely done.

Thanks Herb! There are some gems out there.

J&B

Originally Posted By: FireitUP!!!
Great job, the mix is spot on! Can I ask a few questions...

- In your song description for the drums

Do you export the BIAB drums to midi and than use the Waves CLA Drums to be triggered? And then play it along the BIAB file? Does that what you mean by double?

I love the drum sound you have on this.

As well what does Public Domain music mean?
Thanks for the time and consideration for my questions, I'm trying to get better at the mixing and mastering aspect of music production...so I ask people who are good at it. grin

Thanks!
Sent you a pm regarding your questions.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Deej56
J&B and Peter,

Killer blues number—wonderful production, every single element. Peter’s guitar solos shine; Janice does her usual awesome job on those smoky vocals (nice scatting!). A wonder what you guys do with some of these old tunes. Sounds fresh and new! Great stuff!

All my best,

Deej

Thanks for all man. Glad you liked the scatting!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
What a great discovery! Loved this tune and of course it's a superb vehicle for Janice's amazing vocals. Terrific work putting it all together.

Glad you liked it. Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Noel96

Hi Janice, Peter and Bud.

This is so good that my "How Fantastic Is This Song?" meter went beserk!!!

From arrangement to performances to final production, this is very satisfying listening.

Janice: Your singing was way beyond brilliant. Your performance was bursting with sparkle and shine. After listening to this, I'm convinced that you own this genre! I loved the way you interwove your vocals with Peter's outstanding guitar playing. In so many ways, this was a duet of superb soloists coming together to create a masterpiece of the very highest calibre. Your scat singing had me grinning from ear to ear. It was sensational. You and Peter reminded me an awful lot of Cleo Laine and John Dankworth. In the below clip, Cleo does quite a lot of scat singing against John's saxophone playing. If you have a listen, I think you'll see why you reminded me of this couple.

Peter: Your guitar playing was absolutely incredible. I don't think I've ever heard you perform better. It seemed to me that you and Janice thrived on one another's musical energy. There was a remarkable synergy between the two of you that created a work where the "whole" was so much more than the "parts."

Bud: I don't know how you managed it, but you captured an incredible live-performance feel. This is truly a fantastic arrangement and mix. I envy your ability to pull this together and create such a fine finished product.

Literally... I'm blown away with the talent on show here.

All the best,
Noel

You are too kind! But we appreciate every word smile Janice especially thanks you for mentioning the scat and the info about Cleo. We read about her and listened. Thanks.

Bud is most appreciative of your mention of the mix. The live feel is what we hoped to achieve.

And, yes, Peter is excellent in the way he accents the vocals!

Thanks for all and your support is very special.

J&B

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
J&B&P,

fj

Floyd said it perfectly!! Just like to add.....WOOOOOOW!!!! Take care. Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,505
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195