Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#669444 08/21/21 04:46 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey guys,

I have been using Melodyne for several years but never really tried Auto-Tune. I got a monthly package which is pretty pricy, about $25 dollars. There are 16 different plug-ins.

I have just begun to experiment with it. It is much different than I really expected.

I sang a simple four-bar set of vocal notes which I checked with Melodyne. The first two were flat so I fixed that in Melodyne.

The sounds that Auto-Tune had to deal with were on pitch.

The amount of control that exists is amazing. I am not talking about producing strange sounds but enhancing a vocal.

Are there others here that use Auto-Tune?

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
Yes, it's a treat to work with. A bit soul destroying though when you can see you're out of tune but can't hear it! This video is reassuring however! smile https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=669110#Post669110

Last edited by lambada; 08/21/21 09:56 PM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I am finding there is a lot more to Auto-Tune than pitch correction. Pitch correction across a complete track sounds pretty un-useable to me.

When I first used Melodyne I saw the same issue. I then learned to only correct notes that sounded bad enough to correct.

I am finding it necessary to play the vocal melody on the piano and learn that. Then I can go back and start to bend the notes around. Having my lead guitar player play the vocal line in rehearsal helps also.
I can sing on pitch if I have a reference but I could not sing F# off the top of my head if my life depended on it...lol

Having every note on pitch sucks.

Anyway, the whole professional set of 16 different plugins can be downloaded for a free trial.

I hear a lot of negative feedback about Auto-Tune. It reminds me of conversations with tube guitar amp purest. They put a transistor effects box between their guitar and the tube amp I just custom-built for them.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

When I first used Melodyne I saw the same issue. I then learned to only correct notes that sounded bad enough to correct.

Billy

That is the secret to using pitch correction software. I usually take the first take of my instrumental leads and correct a couple of missed notes. I have found playing/singing the same lines over and over losses a lot of emotion and drive. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
You probably know I add instrumental jazz arrangements to songs. My two favorite instruments for this are flugelhorn and soprano sax, instruments notorious for being difficult to play in tune. Plus, at my age my skills aren’t quite what they were.

Autotune does come in handy. I use it very sparingly, both for pitch and timing. The one place on which I concentrate most is endings of phrases. In particular, if the last note has a pitch that’s ‘off’, it makes the start of the next phase sound wrong.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yep, the trick is in how you use it.
It can indeed be used in such a way it is generally undetectable, and it can be overdone.

I usually try to delay the tuning a bit, so, like Matt, the note ends in tune but the initial inflection is untouched unless necessary.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Never used any of this on a vocal. I do like it for getting a good segue from RT to vocal as Matt alluded to and for occasionally changing a bass note. But I do understand its place in the vocal production arsenal. Just glad the producers of great bent note country and jazz singers never had access to it smile

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
There is a plug called AVOX DUO that is pretty useful. Another is called AVOX CHOIR that I think I may be able to use. I am not sure yet. It is not obvious at first glance how to ues this stuff. And there are the other ten or so plugins I have not really looked at enough to know just what they do.

None of the pitch correction type software is very useful for types of music where a lot of bent notes are going on. Just my opinion.

In general, if we are doing a vocal at home, I think it is better to punch it in than correct it with software.

It does have some enhanced vibrato control that could be useful also some throat changeability which is worth exploring.

There is a whole other world of music that never gets posted here because most of us are too old to like it. It is quite possible some of this Melodyne/Auto-Tune type software has other uses.

Fun toys to play with.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/22/21 05:11 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
"It is quite possible some of this Melodyne/Auto-Tune type software has other uses."

Do Melodyne and AutoTune let you take an arbitrary audio recording and transform it into MIDI?

Logic's flex pitch will do this, and I also use the polyphonic audio-to-MIDI product "MIDI Guitar". But I don't correct vocal tracks or physical instruments; I create new MIDI tracks from recordings of animals and things, to be set to virtual instruments. Wondering what the best software for that kind of extracurricular activity is.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes

Do Melodyne and AutoTune let you take an arbitrary audio recording and transform it into MIDI?

Melodyne does. I don't know about AutoTune.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Melodyne does.

Oh, good! I see that application is part of my Izotope subscription, I shall have to check it out. (I like to overload music recognition systems with complicated noise and see what they hallucinate.)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Plus, at my age my skills aren’t quite what they were.

We're still talking about music, right?

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Melodyne does.

Oh, good! I see that application is part of my Izotope subscription, I shall have to check it out. (I like to overload music recognition systems with complicated noise and see what they hallucinate.)

I believe your Izotope subscription contains the Melodyne Essential and that is the only Melodyne version that does not do Audio to MIDI. You would need to purchase at least the next version, the Melodyne Assistant, to accomplish audio to MIDI.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I believe your Izotope subscription contains the Melodyne Essential and that is the only Melodyne version that does not do Audio to MIDI. You would need to purchase at least the next version, the Melodyne Assistant, to accomplish audio to MIDI.

Well, that explains why I'm sitting in front of Melodyne, unable to find it. Good thing I checked here! It looks like I would need to even go higher to get the "DNA" for polyphonic function.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Melodyne does.

Mario, I have Melodyne Essential 4 which was upgraded to 5.
Both editions can perform audio to MIDI conversion on monophonic audio files.

They are unable to perform audio to MIDI conversion on polyphonic audio files.

Many users forget but the Band-in-a-Box Audio Editor can
Quote:
Transcribe - This will transcribe the audio as MIDI data and write it into the same track. Note that the audio in the source track should be monophonic (e.g., vocal, saxophone).
per page 318 of the BiaB User Manual.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Billy,

You may not remember but Peavey and AutoTune collaborated to create the +++ AT-200 +++ electronically tuned guitar. In addition to a standard "E" tuning the guitar can play in alternate tunings like Drop-D.

The AutoTune website also offered a kit to retro fit electric guitars and lap steels as well as pedal boards for vocalists.

I was a fan of AutoTune until they decided to get out of the hardware business.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

Mario, I have Melodyne Essential 4 which was upgraded to 5.
Both editions can perform audio to MIDI conversion on monophonic audio files.

They are unable to perform audio to MIDI conversion on polyphonic audio files.

Many users forget but the Band-in-a-Box Audio Editor can
Quote:
Transcribe - This will transcribe the audio as MIDI data and write it into the same track. Note that the audio in the source track should be monophonic (e.g., vocal, saxophone).
per page 318 of the BiaB User Manual.

That is interesting Jim as their web site says that it does not do Audio to MIDI. Thanx for setting the record straight.

I don't use RB much so I forgot about that function. Thanx for that also.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'll probably stick with MIDI Guitar, as I really need polyphony – I want to be able to take a recording of roosters on freight trains and turn it into a MIDI symphony.

The recognition technology is optimized for real guitar playing, but it handles whatever I throw at it pretty well.

https://www.jamorigin.com/

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Billy,

You may not remember but Peavey and AutoTune collaborated to create the +++ AT-200 +++ electronically tuned guitar. In addition to a standard "E" tuning the guitar can play in alternate tunings like Drop-D.

The AutoTune website also offered a kit to retro fit electric guitars and lap steels as well as pedal boards for vocalists.

I was a fan of AutoTune until they decided to get out of the hardware business.

Interesting stuff Jim. I had seen automatic tuners on a Taylor acoustic that actually mover the machine heads. I never came across the Peavey.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Gibson came out with motorized and automatic guitar tuners in 2008. +++ WikiPedia Article +++ and +++ YouTube Video +++ Really expensive and not well received.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199