Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
U
OP Offline
U
Dear Anyone.

Hokay, I know 'standalone VST' is probably an oxymoron but here goes.

I've got a 32-bit DAW, designed for disabled people like me, which I love and understand perfectly. But the world's gone 64-bit crazy and I can't find many 32-bit VSTs. So I gotta few, but I've also got a totally legit., paid-for and licensed standalone 64-bit Kontakt. And Lunaris, also totally legit.

I know there's Vienna for linking computers and VSTs but I'm wondering if that's a bit overkill for a guy with only one PC. Is there something that would do the kinda job Vienna does, but on a smaller scale, just linking 1 DAW on 1 PC to about 3 standalone VSTs, Kontakt, UVI and Halion.

Just so you know Halion's a demo. UVI's legit. Kontakt's paid for. If I could link them, I'd pay for Halion too Even though UVI sound bundles are OWCH pricewise, they do have great sounds. Before buying 'em, I need to be sure I could use 'em!

Yours hopefully

Chris.

U
OP Offline
U
Sorry for replying to my own question, but just had a thought (god that hurt my head!)

Would Unify do it (link to a page I just found - https://www.pluginguru.com/products/unify-demo/

It doesn't specifically SAY you can link 32-bit to 64-bit standalone with it but one of you guys might know...

Can afford that if it'll do it (just!) unless you guys know anything else.

Yours hopefully

Chris.

Veteran
Veteran
Link 32-bit DAW to standalone VST ??

I would like to try to help, but I don't understand exactly what you are wanting to do. I run both Unify and Kontakt in my DAW (Reaper). I also run Kontakt in Unify in my DAW. Also, as you know Unify and Kontakt have standalone versions which do not require a DAW. I don't see any mention of the BIAB-VST or the BIAB Standalone VST which would bring you to this forum.

Bottom line, when you say "link your DAW to a standalone VST", I just don't know what that means?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Chris, have you tried jBridge?

https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

It will allow 64 bit VSTs to run in a 32 Bit DAW. I have used this in the past and in fact have one 32 bit VST running in my 64 bit DAW. Yes it works both ways.

My past experience showed that it worked most of the time so you might want to the demo prior to purchasing it. It is not very expensive, less than $20 USD.

I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Don't forget that Band-in-a-Box is available as both 32 and 64 bit programs. There is also a 32 bit Band-in-a-Box VST you can use inside your DAW.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
U
OP Offline
U
Dear All, esp. Music Student.

I apologise for not being clear - and I'm trying everyone's ideas out even as I type this, just wanted to clarify stuff before I forgot (head like a machine-gunned sieve, me!)

I've got a standalone Kontakt, a standalone UVI Player (which is basically like Kontakt except it only plays UVI libraries. Which are great but EXPENSIVE!! You DO get a few nice free sounds with it though to whet your appetite - the entire set of sounds is SEVEN HUNDRED BUCKS near enough.....!! But like I said the free ones are nice.

I've also got a couple of other softsynths that are standalones - got their own virtual keyboards you play with the mouse and everything. They're all 64-bit. And I've got my lovely Quick Score Elite, which is a MIDI program, you put in notes with the mouse onto staves. Dunno if I can show you a pic., but just imagine a piece of A4 manuscript paper with lines and stave and everything, only each stave is a separate instrument.

Now I've got a bunch of proper VSTs but they're.... not the world's greatest. Freebies most of them, some of them darned good freebies, none of them up to Kontakt standard. So I got the latest version of Kontakt, and the others, cleaned myself out a bit doing it - and discovered they didn't have 32-bit plugin-versions when you installed them. I'd assumed - wrongly - you'd get the option of 32-bit or 64-bit. Yup - teach me to read websites better before pulling out bank cards, won't it!

So I was sitting looking at my DAW and these standalones and I wondered if there was a way to take the MIDI info. output by the DAW and shove it into the standalones which, as far as I know - I'm a composer, not a computer scientist, and not a good composer at that! - were designed to use MIDI. I hadn't heard of JBRIDGE, I'm going to try that. I wasn't after free ways to do anything, it's just I'd no idea what to go for. Then I read about Vienna and that seemed like the kinda thing that might do it. And I read about something called Unify.

I've read and re-read the Unify blurb and I still don't really understand it. What I THINK it is, is a VST you can put other VSTs into. So in your DAW you load up Unify, then you open up Unify and put your other VSTs into it. I'm not even sure if I'm right about that. But if I AM - I couldn't find out if Unify ITSELF has a 32-bit version you can put 64-bit stuff like modern Kontakt into. I THINK it can take 32 or 64-bit VSTs itself, but I'm not sure if UNIFY is 32 or 64 bit!

By then, my brane had 'ad enough and was trying to crawl out my ear and hide. So I came over here for advice, which you nice gentlemen have given me. This isn't to say I no longer would like to know what the heck Unify is (am I thinking of it right?)

Jim - I'd never heard much about Band in a Box other than to do with Applemacs. I thought it was Applemac only, like Logic is these days (believe it or not I possess the last ever PC version of Logic somewhere! It is ANCIENT!) I know absolutely zero about BiaB, I'll look it up and thanks for the info.

Music Student - as you run Unify in your DAW, you could help - is the thing 32-bit or 64-bit, if the latter is there a 32-bit version? And is it basically a box to put other VSTs in, as I've put above? If so can it hold 32-bit AND 64-bit VSTs simultaneously in a 32-bit DAW? I've read and re-read the blurb, not too sure what it is. Would love you to tell me.

And I'm going right now to the link rharv gave me, just stopped long enough to write this (which some will probably rightfully think was far too long!!)

Yours with thanks to all - especially Music Student if he, or someone, can help me wrap my head around Unify -

Chris.

Last edited by ulrichburke; 08/22/21 09:40 AM. Reason: Spelling booboo!
Veteran
Veteran
Chris, both Kontakt and UVI come with both stand alone and VSTi versions. I think jbridge is the way to go. Try the demo to check if the 64 bit Kontakt and UVI VSTis work with it. This I believe is your easiest and best route to take.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
OK, now we can talk about Unify.

Your basic understanding of Unify is correct. It is "a VST you can put other VSTs into".

Unify itself is 64-bit, but the Windows version includes built-in support for jBridge, an inexpensive 32/64-bit VST bridge program. You can load 32-bit VST plug-ins in Unify on a Windows PC using jBridge.

You can load Unify into your Daw, or, you can run it standalone. It is a fun tool. They have an active user forum and provide quick support when needed. I use this frequently.

There is a free version of Unify you can try before buying. See https://pluginguru.com/product/unify-demo.

Will ALL plug-ins work in Unify? PROBABLY NOT. Beta testers and early-adopters have found several plug-ins that don't load properly in Unify, and some that will cause Unify (and your DAW) to crash.

If you have a favorite plug-in, and you know you'll be disappointed if it doesn't work, check with support first, before buying Unify. They are always working VERY hard on plug-in compatibility issues, so plug-ins that don't work today will work in Unify eventually. I run a lot of the Kontakt libraries in Unify with no problem.

Let me know if any other questions or any specific tests I can do for you.

Dan

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Do you just want to send midi from the DAW to the Standalone ?
if so you can use LoopMIDI

Expert
Expert
Just for clarification, this is a Windows issue only. Kontakt 32 and 64 bit do not coexist on the MacOS but can in Windows (for now at least).

JBridge on the Mac can bring 64 bit VSTs into some 32bit apps including BIAB 2018 and earlier but it cannot bring 32 bit VSTs into 64 bit apps and DAWs after High Sierra (and it never worked very well for that).

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Veteran
Veteran
At one time PG Music offered jBridge at a lower price than the price available at the +++ website +++. However I can no longer find the links. You may want to ask PG Music Sales.

There is jBridge for Windows and jBridge for Mac. jBridge for Windows can bridge 32 to 64 or 64 to 32. Sometimes jBridge for Windows can be useful for 32 to 32 or 64 to 64. jBridge can be used as a standalone tool.

Band-in-a-Box for Windows automatically uses jBridge as needed in the background.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
I have jBridge and have never really used it, or lets say, I couldn't get it to function like I thought it was supposed to. I attempted to load some 64 bit things into my 32 bit DAW and things didn't appear to work right.

So, for the time being.... I have determined that my DAW and it's musical VST collection will remain as it is and that I will not be buying the new stuff. That's OK with me.... it certainly saves on the money. When my DAW computer dies and no longer boots, and I can no longer get parts to fix it, I will upgrade everything to 64 bit and repurchase the things that I consider to be essential.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
A virtual MIDI cable like Pipeline described should do what you want. There is also LoopBe30 that I've used a a virtual MIDI cable for many years now.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
At one time PG Music offered jBridge at a lower price than the price available at the +++ website +++. However I can no longer find the links. You may want to ask PG Music Sales.

We are no longer are a reseller of Jbridge. Otherwise it is a great piece of software, and it still works with BIAB.

As for suggestions, I think Jbridge would be the most straightforward way to go, though it's a bit complicated to set up. Otherwise the virtual MIDI solutions like LoopBE should work well too.

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,553
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199