Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Perhaps everyone but me has discovered what I am about to describe.

The first note of several songs I have analyzed starts on the fifth scale degree.

Hey Jude, sang in the key of F by Paul. The first note is C.

Big City, Merle Haggard Key of E. The first note is B.

Star-Spangled Banner, in the key of C. The first note is G

I am sure there must be hundreds of other examples. I just never noticed this before.

"After you’ve been studying music theory, one thing that you’ll start noticing is that the perfect fifth seems to be a recurring theme. This interval is the most consonant of all intervals which can be formed from a different note other than the root. Many people believe this interval is the basis of harmony." a quoit from hubguitar.com

Obviously, songs can start on any scale degree but there does seem to be something special in starting a melody line on the fifth.

As I analyze my own melodies I find I am most often starting on the root and sometimes on the ninth. Starting one phrase on the ninth and the following one on the fifth.

There is this guy Joseph Bologne, Chavalier de Saint-Georges that I like. One of his claims to fame was his ability to create one great melodic line after another in a single work. He is sort of "required" study if you live in Paris...lol

I am slowly beginning to understand the relevance of studying classical music and the use of those ideas in popular song creation.

Feedback?

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I find Hookpad (https://hookpad.hooktheory.com/) and its related database TheoryTab DB a great resource for analysis of songs if you have not come across it before. It is also a fun way to put together the structure of a song which you can then transfer over to BIAB or vice versa if you want to.

Patrick

BIAB 2024 Ultrapak, Studio One
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Patrick. I will give it a look. That is something new to me.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Billy,

You are so right. And classical music...oh yeah. I start off every day with Bach, because as Pablo Casals is supposed to have said, "I don't know about you, but I like to start off the first two hours of my day with God."

But your observation on Hey Jude was so keen, so astute, so right on target, so perfect, and so marvelous in all ways it almost seems like you have been talking with a super genius.

Where oh where did you stumble upon this? Have you been talking to Paul??? Or someone else.

Man, I gotta know.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
What is this "perfect fifth" of which you speak?

Jim, George, Jack, or Crown?

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 08/26/21 01:04 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Herb,

He's talking about Episcopalians.

As the Bible teaches us:

"Wherever you find two or three of them gathered together, you will also find a fifth."

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Isn't that HookPad something, Patrick. Thanks for finding it.
NCH Crescendo permits users to plug notes into a staff, in a
little different way.
Well, Billy, you may have opened up an area of interest here that
could turn into something quite challenging. Good thing David is
interested. He's one of many truly accomplished who hang out here.
Me? In my current composition, the notes on the first three bars
of the line are devoted to the melody. Tie the last note of the
third line to the first note of the fourth bar, make that one a
quarter note, and use the remaining three notes of the fourth bar
to play a walkup, walkdown, or fill. Rinse and repeat.
This opens up some theory challenges, but also provides some
structure and logic to the lines. Song is in G. Intro is CCGG/DDGG.
Sure enough, all four melody lines of the first 16 bar verse
lead off with the fifth -- d for the two G chords and a for the two D chords. Hmm..

Last edited by edshaw; 08/26/21 02:11 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi David,

I wish Paul would come over and stay a few days at my house. I am sure he would like my wife's cooking and we could go ride around in the boat. I would go to great lengths to protect his privacy.

I have a habit of talking to myself actually. It may seem strange but everyone knows I have PTSD so I can get away with it...lol

In a quest to find better melodies I started to wonder if they had elements in common. They are often short phrases that have to start and stop somewhere. They generally need to resolve to something or have some feeling of connection to the next phrase or two but they need to resolve or we are left hanging or worse.

I started sustaining a C chord in my left hand to construct melodies. I found that if I started on the fifth, songs I know just started to appear. So I went looking for songs that started on the fifth.

If you sustain a chord and start an octave up, that note will obviously sound good. It is perhaps the most common place to start a melody. Leaving passing tones out of the discussion for the moment and assuming one is not looking for discordance purposely only certain notes are available. Obviously, the minor second sounds discordant as hell. The D note is the 9th which can be both a melody note and change the C major chord to C add 9. The minor third...well you get the point. So what this teaches me is not so much which note to start on but which not to start on or use.

There are other ways to look at these issues from a mathematical perspective of the physics of sound but that is a pretty arcane subject for most musicians.

I need to buy some well-written sheet music to analyze some of the classic music. None of us learn music in a vacuum so there is nothing strange in picking good ideas from the music you like.

We have a tradition in the blues world that if I play the song more than twice I wrote it...lol

There is a lot to learn.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/26/21 02:41 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
I resemble that remark!

...Deb

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: PatrickS

I find Hookpad (https://hookpad.hooktheory.com/)...
Patrick

Cool website.

I have no idea about music theory other than the basics.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
Songwriting
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
[quote=PatrickS]

Me either !! I do know one thing. Most music is not science. It's feel. You can study all the courses, theory, and all that stuff and still struggle if you don't feel it. I always relate a lot of music to the gospel an baptist church people. They don't know crap about structure and have the best keyboardist/organist, drummer and man the vocalists are unreal. They go with the flow :-)

Songwriting
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Originally Posted By: Henry Clarke
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt

Me either !! I do know one thing. Most music is not science. It's feel. You can study all the courses, theory, and all that stuff and still struggle if you don't feel it. I always relate a lot of music to the gospel an baptist church people. They don't know crap about structure and have the best keyboardist/organist, drummer and man the vocalists are unreal. They go with the flow :-)

Not knowing theory is fine, if that's the way you make music. Others make music in a more theory-based way, and that's fine, too. Not using theoretical principles does not make your music more authentic, or organic, or whatever. A prison work song is a prison work song, and a Baroque fugue is a Baroque fugue.

PS – I doubt most Baptist church music directors would agree that they "don't know crap about structure".

First of all I'm not anti music structure.. 2nd. I did not say "music Directors. I said musicians and vocalists. I'll just leave this right here. No need to go any further. Of course you can have the last word if you wish.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

You are so right. And classical music...oh yeah. I start off every day with Bach, because as Pablo Casals is supposed to have said, "I don't know about you, but I like to start off the first two hours of my day with God."

On that note, is it not Bach who is associated with arpeggiated chords as much as anyone? Thinking about the fugues and not counting Flatt & Scruggs. Back when I was a student of hillbilly music theory, I practiced chord theory endlessly on the clavier. Well, actually it was a $35 battery operated portable Yamaha keyboard from Wal Mart, but for all intents and purposes....Anyway, I was surprised and delighted when the 1-4-5 arpeggios strung together sounded something like music; by accident, really.

Last edited by edshaw; 09/01/21 03:03 AM.

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Chaconne, Italian Ciaccona, solo instrumental piece that forms the fifth and final movement of the Partita No. 2 in D Minor, BWV 1004, by Johann Sebastian Bach.

If you go to 4.50 in this Bach piece you can see and hear the use of arpeggios written in Bach's own hand.

https://youtu.be/U2UyC2VcOj0

A century and a half after Bach composed the piece, Johannes Brahms wrote:
On a single staff, for a small instrument, the man writes a whole world of the deepest thoughts and the most powerful feelings.

What amazes me is this sounds as modern as it does classical.

Far be it for me to pontificate on classical music...lol I know nothing more than what I hear...lol

Analyzing and critically thinking about what I hear and see written in music is the only way I have to understand how it is made.

This is not to discount Henry's comment about feel. I think I understand very well what he was trying to express.

While science may not be able to produce music it is the only device we have to define it that is reproducible by people everywhere.

I doubt seriously that I will spend any time in purgatory for my predilection for science...lol

The word "music" has in fact no universal definition in my mind. In many cultures, there is no word "music".

"Although we may find it hard to imagine, many cultures, such as those found in the countries of Africa or among some indigenous groups, don’t have a word for music. Instead, the relationship of music and dance to everyday life is so close that the people have no need to conceptually separate the two."

Enough from me for one day.

Chears,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I found this to be an interesting video on "The Death Of Melody"

It also irritates me and makes me wonder if I should be studying how to eliminate melody in things I am writing....lol

https://youtu.be/K0Vn9V-tRCo

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 08/31/21 11:03 PM.

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
In closing, he shows scenes of young adults gathered around the table, each absorbed in his or her own smart phone, seemingly oblivious to the presence of others. Hmmmm....

Last edited by edshaw; 09/02/21 08:54 AM.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: edshaw
In closing, he shows scenes of young adults gathered around the table, each absorbed in his or her own smart phone, seemiingly oblivious to the presence of others. Hmmmm....

I see this in restaurants all the time. Even families at a table with each one of them on the phone. WTH (What The Heck - PC version)!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

I was in the gym working out today, and FOLLOWING THE SCIENCE Y'ALL!!!--

And I had an album of 80s hits on my MP3 player. So I hit play.

Some of those songs gave me goosebumps.

I remember when music did. I miss those days.

When I listen to most of the crap today I feel nothing. It feels musically dead and devoid of all heart, art and soul. I don't feel a thing, most of the time. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

You can call me an old cranky such and such but I don't give a flying flip. I HATE modern music and most of modern culture. It's crap.

So there.

smile

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I remember when people who got gersberms from 60's music were saying that same bad stuff about 80's music, with its soulless sequencers and such.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
But Mark,

I don't care what other people say or think.

This is social media man.

I only care what I say!!

smile

Dawn of Mankind to 1955--Great

56-74 Great

75 - 85 Almost Great

86-92, Sort of

93-2000 starting to loose its grip

2001-2010, not totally horrible, only mostly

2011-2018 Mostly Awful

2019-2020, Hmmmmmm....End of Days????

2021--Please God make it stop.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,630
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193