You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#669356 - 08/21/21 08:28 AM [Off-Topic] Posting Demo Videos in Forum
Loc: Wauconda, Il.
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

I don't think this topic has been fully discussed here in the forum in the past. Thought it may be nice to see what others think of this. Any thoughts on the concept or the product? grin

Free and open source software for video recording and live streaming

Ever wanted to make a screen capture video to illustrate a workflow and place it in the BIAB forum? This is the secret the pro's use. Did I mention it was FREE. grin

OBS Studio
Latest Release27.0.1 - June 11th
WindowsSupports Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 macOS 10.13+ Linux

OBS Studio

Points to consider:

1) While a picture is worth 1 1000 words, a video is worth a 1000 pictures. So when you really want to make your point clear, nothing better than you presenting it in a video.
2) OBS Studio has a bit of a learning curve, there are lots of demo videos on YouTube to help with that.
2) You still have to "host" the video you make on the web, in order to upload it into the BAIB forum. This is where a free YouTube account comes in handy.
3) The free YouTube account does permit you to upload private videos which can be viewed only by those you provide a link to.
4) You do not need a video camera (webcam), but it can be used if you have one. You will need an input microphone. TIP: Get a Webcam.
5) Here is a recent example from the forum.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=668885#Post668853

SoundCloud

#669489 - 08/22/21 05:48 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Posting Demo Videos in Forum [Re: MusicStudent]
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Veteran

I tried OBD a while back, but found Flashback Express (which is also free) worked better for me. Easier workflow.

#669496 - 08/22/21 06:15 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Posting Demo Videos in Forum [Re: Rustyspoon#]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
I tried OBD a while back, but found Flashback Express (which is also free) worked better for me. Easier workflow.

Good to know. I had not seen Flashback Express. I have tried several free products and always found limitations. Specifically in recording of both incoming and outgoing audio. Even OBS struggles with all my audio drivers, but is doable! I just downloaded Flashback and will do some "playing around" to see how it handles that for me.

Thanks. grin

SoundCloud

#669513 - 08/22/21 07:43 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Posting Demo Videos in Forum [Re: MusicStudent]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Here is a Youtube guy who covers all these screen recording software. This provided very detailed reviews of all the packages.
Spreadsheet list all Screen Recording Reviews by Priest

SoundCloud

#669669 - 08/23/21 08:01 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Posting Demo Videos in Forum [Re: MusicStudent]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Perhaps not as much interest in this topic as I thought. But, as Marty predicted, "... I am sure your kids will love it!" grin

Just to close loose ends. Flashback Express is nice. Fully agree with Misha, more simple in workflow than OBS. And Flashback Pro ($45) integrates post editing features not present in OBS. However, I have already climbed the OBS learning curve and OBS, as best I can figure, provides audio capabilities beyond Flashback. For example, with the OBS audio mixer, shown below, you can add up to 6 audio input tracks at any one time.

Attachments
Post attachments only available when logged in

SoundCloud

#669706 - 08/23/21 11:10 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Posting Demo Videos in Forum [Re: MusicStudent]
Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
sslechta Offline
Veteran

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Perhaps not as much interest in this topic as I thought.

No worries Dan. I think a lot of people are set in their ways on which tools they like to use in this regard. It is interesting information however.... Thanks!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2020, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win10 PRO, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#669729 - 08/23/21 01:31 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Posting Demo Videos in Forum [Re: MusicStudent]
Loc: Akron, Oh
eddie1261 Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Perhaps not as much interest in this topic as I thought.

I don't know that it's lack of interest as much as the topic being played out. There are a LOT of videos here and on The Tube about HOW to use BIAB. It comes down to the metaphor that seeing more videos about how a car works isn't going to make you a better driver. If you have no talent, more videos watching BIAB make backing tracks is going to help you. So many of these videos get off into the deep water of "and then you load this as a VST and inside that you load your actual sound VSTs into that" when there are a lot of people here who don't play an instrument and have no concept of keys and time but make songs out of the example tracks in the software. The people at the level of Pipeline and several others do a great job with it. Also OBS is really simple and with just minimal computer skills you can record your screen. It's as simple as clicking the button that says "record". So sure there is interest but the point of the thread has been played out. And people like me are not advanced enough that I am going to teach anybody how to do anything in the software.

My only wish is that some newer guard people would post Real Band demos. BIAB is so old school that I won't even use it and in fact have never booted it up. I prefer a more DAW-like screen. Thus I rarely watch any of the videos. I am also hard headed so if any video requires me downloading 17 pieces of software I will pass. I don't want my email in 17 more places that result in junk mail.

Edited by eddie1261 (08/23/21 01:34 PM)

Do you realize that a good night of sleep is nothing more than the human version of "Turn it off and turn it back on again"?

#669943 - 08/24/21 10:25 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Posting Demo Videos in Forum [Re: MusicStudent]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
I just use Zoom to make my screen recordings. There is also Loom where the videos can be recorded, hosted and shared directly from the site.
Here is an example

Edited by JoanneCooper (08/24/21 10:31 PM)

#670047 - 08/25/21 03:57 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Posting Demo Videos in Forum [Re: MusicStudent]
Loc: Victoria, BC
Simon - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
OBS is great - I use it for recording videos here at PG Music, as do some of my colleagues.

I did find that it does not work so well in Windows 11 while I was recording the demo video - quite a few times OBS stopped all audio from working, and there were a couple times where the screen recording froze but the audio kept recording, so I often had to repeat what I just did. Screen recording can be a tricky thing though, as it usually has to try and hook data from the graphics driver, which in Win 11 might operate differently than Win 10. Indeed I had a fair bit of difficulty with some things in this very early release of Windows 11, although Band-in-a-Box and RealBand both worked great.

Rambling aside, OBS is great software which I'm sure will work great with Windows 11 once the OS is out of beta.

#670233 - 08/26/21 06:04 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Posting Demo Videos in Forum [Re: MusicStudent]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
I'm looking for the best streaming software and most people recommend OBS to me... I will try it later this year.

@Simon
You are brave... trying out W11 is not something I will do before I am absolutely sure that all my applications will run on it. smile

Will

#670242 - 08/26/21 07:17 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Posting Demo Videos in Forum [Re: MusicStudent]
eddie1261 Online   content
Veteran

OBS can be easy or difficult depending on what you man by streaming. When I stream on that computer running OBS I have a green screen, 3 dozen scenes, a voice changer, a USB mixer... getting all those pieces to work can be taxing. But just to do a vanilla stream, no problem.

Do you realize that a good night of sleep is nothing more than the human version of "Turn it off and turn it back on again"?

PG Music News
A Look Back... Band-in-a-Box® 2015 NAMM Demonstration #TBT

Watch Tobin (and Charlie!) demonstrate Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Windows at the 2015 NAMM Show: Play video...

Tobin does a great job of showing just how easy it is to create a song with Band-in-a-Box!

This video was posted on January 23, 2015 to the Keyboard Instrument Chops and Gear YouTube Channel.

Enhance Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Installation

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows users - update for FREE today!

We've added a new "record using" option within the Audio Settings dialog, and updated many existing features based on user feedback.

This free update also includes the most recent build of our DAW Plugin (3.9.12).

Learn more about this free update and download it today.

Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Band-in-a-Box® File Associations

You may have noticed when you were installing Band-in-a-Box® for Windows that you were asked if you would like to Associate Band-in-a-Box songs and styles with Band-in-a-Box? But, what does that mean?

It's actually pretty simple - basically, if you select this option while you're installing the program, files with the extensions .SGU, .MGU, and other Band-in-a-Box files will open directly in the program if you select them from outside the program.

Missed this option during your setup, but you'd like to apply it now? Go to File | File Utilities | Associate File types with Explorer within the program.

New Update for RealBand 2021 Available!

Do you use RealBand (included in all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases)? Download the latest free update, which resolves a small viewing issue for Windows 11 users.

When you download the latest update for RealBand 2021, it will add all the updates we've made this year. See the full list here.

Ear Training Games in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

October 1, 2021 is National Kids Music Day!

Head to the Practice Window in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, and you'll see fun games that are fun ear training options for kids: Music Replay & Pitch Invasion.

Of course, you don't have to be a kid to like these games, I think there a fun way to learn at any age!

Music Replay is just what it sounds like - the program plays a 1-bar melody, and the user plays it back. Get it right, and you'll keep building that melody (and skill) within the game - get it wrong, and you'll be met with a warning tone and have to try again... it's quite addictive, and a lot of fun!

If you like a classic arcade game, then you'll love Pitch Invasion! We've managed to incorporate aliens with pitch-recognition skills in this exciting game, where you'll match the pitch of the alien ship descending towards your planet trying to destroy your collection of instruments - match the pitch and you've saved your instruments, make a mistake and the ship keeps coming... you'll have a few tries to get it right, if you're quick, but if all your instruments are destroyed - it's game over! The game speeds up as your skills improve, and you'll earn points along the way, with bonus points available throughout the game.

Open up your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows today to give it a try!

These ear training games are also included in Musical Arcade for Windows.

How to Make Backing Tracks with Band-in-a-Box®, by Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Nick Kellie recently got his hands on the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac, and put together this video showing off just how easy it is to make backing tracks in Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box Demo - How to make backing tracks

Forum Stats
34997 Members
66 Forums
71255 Topics
617995 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
ged1200, apexel, PROJECT M, Alice Dawson, CAFA

34997 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 299