Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Folk,I moved houses/states recently and found, after setting up my recording space, that a sub 50Hz hump, largish 20kHz peak and raised noise floor appear on all recordings made through my Focusrite 2i2.

I swapped all cables, used a different computer, set up in a different room etc. but the problem persisted. I bought a power condition but things didn't change.

I bought a new, more expensive interface, SSL2, and blammo - no change.

The recording space is a rectangular, full brick built room faced with gyprock/sheetrock, timber lines ceiling and about 60 underground. It has cheap tracklights in the ceiling.
Any ideas?

Last edited by rayc; 08/27/21 11:31 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Journeyman
Journeyman
Try recording with the lights off. Those tracklights maybe part of the problem.

...Deb

Veteran
Veteran
Could you please elaborate, what do you mean by 20 kHZ peak? Most of us here haven’t been able to hear that high in over 50 years. How does this limit show itself? Your dog knows, but isn’t saying.

Assuming all your cables are the same as in the other location, are they all shielded?

Do mic and speaker cables run parallel to power lines?

Did you get an AC outlet tester to make sure the house is wired correctly (no reversed or floating grounds)?

Is all the audio equipment on one circuit (should be)? Are there other devices like a furnace, microwave, fluorescent lights or refrigerator on that circuit (shouldn’t be)?

Any radio stations or hams nearby?

Where is your router?

Any equipment suffer a beating during the move?

Tons of possibilities. Start disconnecting to try to isolate the problem.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
You need to first check that there is a proper ground for the electrical system in your new house. A little two-dollar tester will be enough. Different electrical outlets frequently have a different ground reference value. Plug into one plug. Turn off your cell phone. Turn off the lights. Turn off electrical appliances one by one.

Record just the ambient noise to see what you can hear. I can hear my wife talking on the phone downstairs out in the backyard with the door closed.

I am not sure what you are recording. Guitar DI? Microphone? The lowest string on a four-string bass guitar is around 40Hz. Few people can hear above 20K Hz.

Here is a small amount of info you can read https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64533&start=0.

What sort of floor do you have? Hard or carpet? The high-frequency noise is likely coming from electronics equipment such as a computer monitor.

I have to turn off my AC to record. I have to send my wife to the mall...lol

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DSM
Try recording with the lights off. Those tracklights maybe part of the problem.

...Deb

Thanks Deb, That is one of a couple of things I'm interested in. they generate heat, they don't generate much light and the wiring of them s always a little suss.

Cheers
rayc
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Could you please elaborate, what do you mean by 20 kHZ peak? Most of us here haven’t been able to hear that high in over 50 years. How does this limit show itself? Your dog knows, but isn’t saying.
Assuming all your cables are the same as in the other location, are they all shielded?Do mic and speaker cables run parallel to power lines?
Did you get an AC outlet tester to make sure the house is wired correctly (no reversed or floating grounds)?
Is all the audio equipment on one circuit (should be)? Are there other devices like a furnace, microwave, fluorescent lights or refrigerator on that circuit (shouldn’t be)?
Any radio stations or hams nearby?
Where is your router?
Any equipment suffer a beating during the move?
Tons of possibilities. Start disconnecting to try to isolate the problem.

Thanks Matt,
1.the peak and hum are visible on any of a number of EQs graphs within my DAW. MOST folk can't hear 20kHz but what happens up there can be heard by some and can, easily have an impact on audio recording and treatment.
2. All shielded well enough...no parallels.
No outlet tester but do have the power conditioner which would rectify the supply to some degree. I will look into a tester though. On that line the ground loop switch on one of my pedals make the problem worse.
Tested in other rooms down & upstairs and no change so not a single circuit thing. No appliances on the circuit.
Radio station - nope semi rural location - there is a mountain though I don't have a ham radio so wouldn't really be able to tell about other ham radio users.
The machine is offline and the router in the opposite corner of the house AND upstairs. The entire downstairs is brick built walls interior and exterior as well.
Nope no damage, new interface has same problem.
Everything has been isolated, swapped. moved and tested in various modes - including with my hand on them.
Yes tons of possibilities many of which I've addressed and the reason I asked...thanks.

Cheers
rayc
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
You need to first check that there is a proper ground for the electrical system in your new house. A little two-dollar tester will be enough. Different electrical outlets frequently have a different ground reference value. Plug into one plug. Turn off your cell phone. Turn off the lights. Turn off electrical appliances one by one.

Record just the ambient noise to see what you can hear. I can hear my wife talking on the phone downstairs out in the backyard with the door closed.

I am not sure what you are recording. Guitar DI? Microphone? The lowest string on a four-string bass guitar is around 40Hz. Few people can hear above 20K Hz.

Here is a small amount of info you can read https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64533&start=0.

What sort of floor do you have? Hard or carpet? The high-frequency noise is likely coming from electronics equipment such as a computer monitor.

I have to turn off my AC to record. I have to send my wife to the mall...lol

Billy

I've checked the ground spike is properly connected and well buried but haven't plugged anything into a socket/power point, (as we call them in Australia), yet.

We live in a quiet pot where a car driving down the road is remarked upon. The bush turkey, crows and magpies sing a lot, the trees sussurate a bit and any conversation in the house can be heard throughout...phones...I'd need to send my up the street not to hear her talking into one.
The hump & spike come with balanced and unbalanced cables, dynamic & condensor mics, DI or mic'd guitar. Not being able to hear 20kHz (considered excellent hearing in a youngster,) of the 20Hz doesn't mean they don't have an impact on audio production though - a sub hump can often be the result of DC offset problems and cause a mass of issues.
The monitor is the same as I used in NSW, all gear in the same relative position too, as is all the gear but the new interface, power conditioner and pedal power supply - all bought in an attempt to alleviate the problem.
We don't have AC - yet.
Thanks for the outlet tester suggestion - I'll follow it through.

Cheers
rayc
Veteran
Veteran
You are right, a 20K Hz signal won’t be heard except maybe by grandchildren, but it will affect plug-ins attempting to analyze and process sound.

I just looked up and discovered 50 Hz is your power frequency in Australia. It’s 60 Hz in the US. That doesn’t change any of my answers.

The tester I use now is a $20 tester at Home Depot made by Klein Tools. It has a text readout in addition to the light pattern found on the $7 version that used to be all that was available. I have no idea if the one sold here for 60 Hz works in Australia but check Klein Tools. I carry a tester in every gear bag and won’t plug in any gear to an outlet before testing it first.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Here is what I have to deal with...lol

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Veteran
Veteran
The 2i2 is USB powered. It doesn't plug into anything but the USB port.
Are you sure the noise is coming from there?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
The 2i2 is USB powered. It doesn't plug into anything but the USB port.
Are you sure the noise is coming from there?

Thanks for asking. As explained above, I'm certain it's NOT coming from the 2i2. As mentioned above the new interface presents the same issue so it's not based on the interface or preamps.

Cheers
rayc
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the response folks.
The power point tester is my next purchase...possibly the cheapest and easiest of the process though it could lead to some expensive modification.
Thanks Noel, that's a cheap one that can be had fairly locally.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
no connections.png (7.44 KB, 159 downloads)
Nothing connected to the interface.
bal cable IN.png (11.26 KB, 160 downloads)
Balanced cable (XLR) connect to the interface.
bass to DI GND 20dB attenuation bal to interface.png (32.52 KB, 157 downloads)
Instrument to DI unit. DI unit to interface via XLR cable attenuated.

Cheers
rayc
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Do you have a laptop? Might be a bit overkill, but try running a laptop from battery with the Focusrite powered off it, and shut off the power to the whole house from the mains. If you're still getting the high-frequency noise coming in, then it's something environmental to the area you live in, and if it goes away then it's something powered by your house and you can hunt it down by turning on breakers one by one until you find the culprit. Once you've found the circuit it's on you can experiment with any noise filters or the like that others have mentioned.

I'd suggest using a receptacle tester on EVERY outlet in the house, not just for the noise issues but for safety. Some older equipment (old guitar amps in particular) connect the neutral line to the chassis, where if the live/neutral wiring gets swapped it'd be connecting the live 230v to the chassis!

I work here
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
Do you have a laptop? Might be a bit overkill, but try running a laptop from battery with the Focusrite powered off it, and shut off the power to the whole house from the mains. If you're still getting the high-frequency noise coming in, then it's something environmental to the area you live in, and if it goes away then it's something powered by your house and you can hunt it down by turning on breakers one by one until you find the culprit. Once you've found the circuit it's on you can experiment with any noise filters or the like that others have mentioned.

I'd suggest using a receptacle tester on EVERY outlet in the house, not just for the noise issues but for safety. Some older equipment (old guitar amps in particular) connect the neutral line to the chassis, where if the live/neutral wiring gets swapped it'd be connecting the live 230v to the chassis!

Thanks Simon,
I've an outlet tester coming in the post and will do that part 1st then try the laptop blackout process. yes, it sounds drastic but where I lived for the previous 24 years power outages were so common that we had torches and candles at hand in all rooms as well as a camping stove and matches always at the ready. Resetting clocks is the only thing that annoys me...so many clocks need to be reset now almost any/every electronic device has a clock.

Last edited by rayc; 09/02/21 09:21 PM.

Cheers
rayc
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Good to hear Ray! Yeah the blackout process is drastic but it's the quickest way to determine if the noise is something you can control or not - and if you can't control it, then I suppose buying cables with better shielding is in order. Hopefully the power at the new house is a bit more stable than the last one!

I work here
Veteran
Veteran
Interestingly, that doesn't appear to be 50Hz mains interference. The frequency is quite variable, verging on white nose perhaps.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Interestingly, that doesn't appear to be 50Hz mains interference. The frequency is quite variable, verging on white nose perhaps.

Nope, not 50Hz interference. The response isn't particularly variable...a relative straight line could be extrapolated between the the low hump and the high peak.
I was told, today by a sparkie, that in Qld, a carrier freq. is used for signals to solar panel inverters. Also that the inverter may be producing interference. I'll start with a wiring check via the power outlet meter.

Cheers
rayc
Veteran
Veteran
Does your house have any intercom system that utilizes the mains wiring to communicate data. Perhaps a neighbor has a system?

This could get tricky...

rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Does your house have any intercom system that utilizes the mains wiring to communicate data. Perhaps a neighbor has a system?

This could get tricky...

Quite tricky. No local intercoms and the distance between dwellings is rather larger than suburban NSW too boot. The power point tester arrived today, thanks for the link & recco, all points in the room have been tested as well as any power boards. All are AOK.
I've ordered ferrite beads as the next step...oddly largely O.O.Stock in many places in Oz and LOTS of bad reviews for most online sellers (mainly masquerading as local but actually in mainland China).

Last edited by rayc; 09/08/21 07:05 PM.

Cheers
rayc
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195