Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Friends,

I am posting this for regular users of the products, who are also using the BIAB tracks as part of an approach for constructing professional song pitching demos.

It is not necessary to write and say BIAB has a style picker, or anything that is stating the obvious. I think the people I am trying to reach will know what I mean here.

So here is the thing:

I am in the midst of trying to churn out a lot of demos, especially in the ephemeral area known as modern country, which is more like rock.

There are a LOT of gorgeous BIAB styles that are perfect if you are doing an album, but for stripped down demos that have a "2021" feel I am constantly looking for that proverbial needle--a good solid beat, and a snappy guitar that is not too busy or squeaky. Anyone who has done a Nashville session will know what I mean.

Made for G, C, D and Em patterns basically. Sounds simple, right? Harder to find.

Can people who are interested list their favorite particular styles (or even Real Tracks) from the more recent years, that work well in your estimation, with pop, ballads, or up tempo country in 2021?

Bear in mind I have all the Xtra styles, and know them all--but I would like to hear what YOU folks like the best. I might start a spreadsheet.

Also, if you have links to songs you have created with the styles you mention, that would be awesome.

Who knows, one day we might have our own list in style picker.

Songwriter styles with decent groove that aren't too "clever"--just tried and true and workmanlike, as a starting place.

Hope this makes sense.

smile

I'll start by the way, I think _Novel.style is cool. (I know I have used this on a song, but I just can't remember which one at this moment.)

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I put in this progression 1,4,5,6m,1,4,5,6m,ii,iii,4,5.

I played that out on about 50 Country 4/4 EV8 130. There are more to try, but I did not find anything like a typical Nashville "Demo" session. I am not sure it exists.

Demo songs and Radio Ready are not the same things. I assume you are trying to sell the lyrics and to some extent the general musical idea.

I like BIAB to generate ideas quickly. I take the idea out of BIAB to my DAW. First, I replace the drum track with one I have control over using Superior Drummer or Addictive Drums. Second, modify the bass line or just play a new one live on guitar or piano so I have midi.

Many of the piano parts in BIAB are pretty good, many useable. The steel guitar parts have to be cut apart to be made to fit.

Brent Mason could do exactly what you want if you were in the studio with him. There is a small amount in BIAB from him that is useful. The rest is overplayed crap.

I think the only way you will get anything close to what you are looking for is to cut segments from different styles and cobble all that together. A pretty time-consuming and irritating process.

If you know what you want to hear and know how to communicate you can get that demo done in a Nashville studio in two hours.

The good news is that there are some pretty good "BIAB" country songs that can be generated. The issue is it will never sound exactly like you had in mind.

The less BIAB instrumentation you use the better it will sound. Buyers are going to do their arrangements. You are basically selling the lyrics and perhaps the melody.

Also, who would be trying to sell to? Cody Johnson, Luke Combs, Aaron Watson, Cody Jinks...those sort of guys?

I would actually like to hear you do a song with just you and acoustic guitar.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
I don't use styles anymore, I start from scratch. I load the blank template, enter about 16 or so bars of the song I'm wanting to record, and then I go find one instrument to build the track around. Acoustic guitar typically, but I've also done it with bass, drums, or piano.
Once I have, for example, an acoustic guitar that I like, I'll find a complementary bass part. Then drums, and so forth.

It's a bit tougher to get a track that sounds like current country (which I'm not crazy about anyway) because, with much love & respect to the PG Music folks, a lot of the country options are very, very dated. But if you mix a lot of different genres together, you can come up with some pretty interesting stuff.

My "BIAB wish list" would absolutely be for the '22 version, a greater focus on new realtracks as opposed to adding a bunch of additional features. Love the new features, use many of them, but I get a lot more inspiration and use out of new realtracks. Just my opinion as always.

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Billy,

Thanks. There are two intersecting issues here. Let me see if I can explain.

For one, I have been playing professionally since I was a child, as I think we discussed, and I can play the guitar all day long and record it. I have played in pro sessions, and been in countless bands. Got it. ( I have also made numerous user tracks I use from time time, which have that "chunk a chunk" rhythm I can't find elsewhere.)

BUT--since I am working with A LOT of other people now on co-writing, the purpose of which is to PITCH a song, not do a finished song, I need some way to speed up the process, or I will be sitting in front of a mic or amp from 4 in the morning until midnight.

Therefore, I am looking for some styles or grooves to take some of the load off.

SECOND, playing along with Real Tracks is a source of inspiration and makes you think of grooves you would not have thought of, which you can jam to.

BUT--so many of the "country" grooves I have found, for the purpose of COMMERCIAL country, are too niche, or "fancy." Great for an album, yes maybe, for sure, but not quite what I am looking for in demo material.

SO--the closest thing I can find is to go back to Floyd Jane's top hits, so to speak, and create styles using what he is using because I am pretty sure he rolls his own.

NEVERTHELESS, I would love to hear from other songwriters if THEY have any favorite, workmanlike styles they use for writing and pitching songs, especially in the commercial country market.

There is a particular vibe to these demos, where the guitar is aggressive, but laid back and jaunty at the same time, and has a real "attitude." Guitarists will know one I am talking about. But it does not overshadow the lyrics, so it has punch, but is not too busy.

Yes, I can do it myself, but that means I have to mic up, spend many hours, that kind of thing. OK for one song, but not for 30.

SO--if anyone has any styles or tracks that YOU USE to create a bare bones demo groove, lay it on me.

Hope this makes sense!

I am continuing to hunt, and going through Floyd's stuff right now...

smile

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Roger,

Thanks. That is what I am looking for.

With that in mind, do you have any favorite acoustic real tracks that YOU use as the basis for starting a song off from scratch??

And, do you have any favorite styles that are CLOSE for what you are trying to achieve currently as a musician?

I am trying to make a list and analyze this.

Songwriting
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Not really, no. I've gotten to where I start from scratch 100% of the time, so I don't have any styles that I gravitate towards.

As far as which guitar I go with, it's a bit of a fishing expedition. I open up the main real track selection screen (the one that shows you every available real track), scroll down to acoustic guitars, and then just go through and audition them one by one. Sometimes I can narrow it down, if for instance I know that I want fingerpicking, strumming, etc. I also audition them without the band accompaniment, I like hearing them solo'd so that I can more clearly determine if they're what I want.

I do find that I gravitate more towards Americana, folk, or rock acoustics for what I do. I frequently use the acoustic parts played by Quinn Bachand, I really like what he does.

The main thing for me is to totally disregard the "genre" I see listed next to the realtrack, and just listen to them regardless. I've even found celtic styles, bossa...lots of guitar parts that are perfect that I might not have considered if I had looked the genre listing.

Hope this is helpful.

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I don't necessarily keep track of the styles I use.

however....one thing is certain.... BB and the available styles will always be a year or more behind what is currently popular simple due to the nature of the beast.
What style might be popular now.... has to be heard and acknowledged by the folks at BB. Then they have to set the parameters, and record the real tracks for that style. It either makes it into next years new styles release, or more likely doesn't, and gets into the following years release by which time it is well over 1.5 to 2 years past it's prime.

That said.... I think you can learn the style that is currently popular by dissecting it and figure out how it works....and use the existing BB tracks and styles to reassemble your own style, perhaps with some out of the box thinking and playing...as needed.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hey David,

You should PM Floyd Jane and have a conversation with him. He is a super nice guy and has answered many questions for me concerning what you can and can not get out of BIAB.

I would be glad to help you search through BIAB Real Tracks but I don't have a clear idea of what you are looking for.

There are modern country songs listed in the style picker by current artist but they don't sound anything like the artist.

Go here and listen to Sample two. Is this the type of guitar sound you are looking for? For me this is pretty much middle of the road modern country. I have never worked with this studio, just found them pokeing around.

https://www.countrysongdemos.com/songdemosamples

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 09/06/21 07:52 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the input.

As stated, I can sit down and play anything if it has a few strings.

smile

But that would mean I would have to actually work, and mic up.

What I am looking for is:

JUST AN IDEA ON YOUR OWN FAVORITE STYLES AND TRACKS FOR SONG DEMOS.

That is it. Just your favorite songwriting RTs or styles.

Floyd just hit me up with a bunch of stuff and I am working on it now.

smile

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

Brent Mason could do exactly what you want if you were in the studio with him. There is a small amount in BIAB from him that is useful. The rest is overplayed crap.

YEP

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Songwriting
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J
Quote:
list their favorite particular styles (or even Real Tracks) from the more recent years, that work well in your estimation, with pop, ballads, or up tempo country in 2021?...Also, if you have links to songs you have created with the styles you mention, that would be awesome.

Here is my short list:

_NOHURRY.STY (No Hurry Americana Train Gtr Sol)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13DAyZmpA6CMvGaxwSfPh1wIYtegjtISF/view

_DUSTY+.STY (Dusty Even- Country Rock Multi)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QdNNJ7gECt0v6TZ2DdA_CZCZVZunhdFI/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RiJz-jS7442Di4nSR9_C56C6sdUynUUY/view

_FETTLE.STY (Fettle Songwriter Waltz)
https://drive.google.com/file/u/0/d/1PtsPm7TvaK3c1WfLt0YahlUB26QT8uII/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TXLY7wh1quOPzovCR4rWk-vuh8EevwDR/view

_STUBORN.STY (Stubborn Americana Power Ballad)
https://drive.google.com/file/u/0/d/1LlLPYai-x4CyyTjrvQm4DoJkzzP3C-cU/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lhuuTbcdSxQ2CInNM8E2s-PlNHVpPWBr/view

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Great James,

Thanks so much! Listening to your songs right now!

smile

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Ok,

I am getting somewhere. Floyd turned me on to "Mod Country 16" drums and any of the styles with those drums seem to work well as bed for modern country, though you may have to add stuff. Double time acoustics and so forth.

The rock and bluegrass styles that use these drums are the beginnings of modern country at least, but they just don't necessary jump out at you.

Try _Decatur, _Glimmer and _Scream for example...

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
https://www.mikehenderson.com/mike-henderson/blog/new-single-starting-over-by-chris-stapleton
Mike Henderson and Chris Stapleton received an ACM Nomination for 2021 Song of the Year with this one. Sounds to me like it's right up your alley, Mr. S.

Last edited by edshaw; 09/10/21 09:24 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

It's a good song, for sure!

Songwriting
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
James Taylor is right up there.

Mike Reid / Allen Shamblin ( I Can’t Make You Love Me made popular by Bonnie Raitt)

Simon and Garfunkel

Whomever writes for Kasey Musgrave

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
David,

Luke Combs has received numerous songwriting awards in addition to his other awards.

You may find +++ THIS +++ newspaper article about the Nashville Songwriter Awards inspiring.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks Jim,

Yeah Luke is cool man!

smile

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Rockstar,

Agree on all!

smile

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Chris Stapleton - Arkansas

https://youtu.be/DRReg08kRrI

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Chris Stapleton is popular for sure. He is also considered to be a modern country artist. However I consider most of his songs owes more to the blues than to country.

"Tennessee Whiskey" is a good example. Compare +++ THIS +++ version of "Tennessee Whiskey" to +++ THIS +++ song by Chris Stapleton.

Yes they are two songs sharing the same name, "Tennessee Whiskey". But the first song by George Jones is undeniably country while the song by Chris Stapleton sounds like the blues to me.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Jim,

You can sure hear the blues in that opening figure he does in Arkansas.

Country has evolved over the years. I think those guys are pretty smart. As rock sort of lost a bit of steam the country guys said "hey, lets steal this rock stuff and add a little peddle steel and call it country"...lol

Three chord rock not so well hidden behind the country twang with a little blues added in for good measure.

No matter...I never get tired listening to songs about trucks, mud, beer, and good lookin women. What's not to like?

Well, you need to be pretty tall to stand up to the likes of George Jones.

I listen to Chris sing "Tennessee Whiskey" at "Farm Aid". I thought he did a good job, he is no George Jones or George Strait but I like him just like he is.

Everyone knows I can't sing but put me in the tubes in London and let me sing "All My X's Live in Texas" and I will do allright...lol

THe vocal may be out of tune and out of time but it will be the real thing from Texas...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Jamey Johnson is a fine song writer that you don't hear much about anymore. His main claim to fame is George Straits version of Jamey's song, +++ Give It Away +++

Songwriting
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

All good choices y'all.

Hey, the OP was about Band-in-a-Box styles that capture the flavor of such artists.

Do we have any more recommendations on actual BIAB STYLES people are using to WRITE songs in these veins????

smile smile

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David ...

I don't know if this is too dated for your use, but I like it quite a bit. If it helps, great. If not, nothing lost but a few minutes. Good luck with you and your future country stars stars. It's more on the softer side of country. Will look for others, more up-tempo, I might have used somewhere along the way.

Homesick And Blue (The label says Soft Pop Serenade. I think it fits modern country pop, too.)

https://soundcloud.com/alananddi/homesick-and-blue

File:_Homesick And Blue.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 80, Length (m:s)=4:18

Style is _HOMESIK.STY (Homesick Soft Pop Serenade)

RealTracks in style: ~2474:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2195:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm CoolJazzPopHeld Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 3059:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Muted16thsFintan Ev16 080
RealTracks in song: 2883:Pedal Steel, Background CountryEddy12-key Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1947:Mandolin, Rhythm PopModernGrooveAndy Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 626:Harmonica, Background Travis Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: BluesRockSlowEv^2-a:SideStick , b:Snare, HiHat

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199