Hans,

Great song - great sound!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Ray, Janne, Misha and Marty,
Thanks for listening and commentiong on the song.
I appreciated it very much. And humour as well!

I received some tips on the eq and tried to solve that immediatly. But it turned out not to be that simple. It had something to do with the bg-vocals. And they already gave me some big problems with aligning them. There was an annoying delay. You probably heard them too. I couldn't solve it, not with vocalign or by hand. Turned out it had to do with my pre amp for the mikes...
I think the version I made some hours ago dealt with it (mostly). Any tips on that?
That's why I underlined 'humour'!

Originally Posted By: rayc
Very aggressive and a little funky.
The aggressive vocal does give an impression of the situation.
The fem vox were distracting in some places...usually when they were over the top of, rather than supporting your lead vocal.
Cool ending...well done Hans, well done.

Ray, I wrote you by email if you could explain 'aggressive' and which fem vocals you meant; the solo girl or the ladies. Well you explained it all to me. The most comforting part was that aggressive isn't bad when you are floating in the situation I sang about. So the last sentence became the most important; well done!

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Creepy text, Deliverance meets Godfather.
Excellent interesting chord progression combining rock, blues and folk. Really great arrangement, excellent selection of instruments. Enjoyed the rhythm, variation between electric and acoustic guitars. lots of interesting changes, the ladies fit very well and so does the talkbox soloist. Your vocal blends nicely to the mix.

Don't stop watching movies, it seems to inspire you to be very creative smile Definitely one of your best works in all aspects.
Janne

Hi Janne, you Finish people must like creepy things, don't they? I also watch movies from Finland. You mostly make crime movies that involve forests and dark ponds. My story was nothing compared with them! When will you make a song on that?
And thanks for the nice words you used!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Hans,
Very cool tune you cooked! Interesting rhyming & lyrics + engaging delivery. Musical bed is great with many surprising elements. Solid mix. The only thing which somewhat creates a bit harsh tension for me is that ladies vocals compete with yours. Since they are more like background vocals I think they would be better if scaled a bit down in the mix and maybe more spacy rev/delay fx on them? Just an idea. Good one! Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

Hi Misha, I feared you would write about the eq, the delayed bg-vocals and the annoying solo girl. To my relief it was 'only' the competition between me and the ladies in the chorusses. Several times I lowered their volume because I heard that competition too. There was one thing I wanted to stay: that choir was special, so has to be heard. See it as a kind of focus. I used two tracks of the Ladies on both sides of the spectrum. My vocals are strong enough to win the competition. Still, in my most recent version, some hours ago, I skipped one track and I did this as well for some instruments to give more space on the hertzes, so to say.
Let me know what you think. And thanks again for your nice words on the song!

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
If you don't mind could you list the movies that resulted in this? smile
We would like to make sure we don't watch them! But we will
give them credit for inspiring a great song.
J&B

Haha, that's great. Put me on that list. Cool concept, Hans, and well done giving it that twist of humor. At first I was thinking this guy should watch more comedy, but then realized you may need those kidnapping movies to balance out the natural humor. I'd much rather kidnap someone from Holland than James Bond...

Not sure I liked the ah-ah girl. She good, but she might do better in the horror category. The rest of the instrumentation, feel, changes and your convincing vocal are perfect. Five stars!!!!!

Hi Marty, I think it will stay a secret list! I only gave away one name. I wrote that as a reply to J&B.
And I wrote to you on SoundCloud I actually don't like comedies. There are very good ones, of course. But I do like it when humour plays a rol in a movie or in real live. I was a chairman in my working days (making songs is no work, my sons say) and mostly stressy things were at hand. I used jokes a lot then. When most people laugh it creates space for the stressy things. At least I noticed.
But I shure will make a list of all those stars I received from our forum. 5 from you already! Thanks.

I think this reply became huge. You don't have to read it all. Therefore I wrote your name in the first line and after your reply. Easy to skip all other stuff.
But thanks for listening and till the next song from one of us.

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
Leon1 #673155 09/15/21 09:11 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi OldMuso, Mario, Jptjptjpt and Leon,

Thanks for listening and your nice comments on this song.
I wrote one post ago to have some difficulties with the backgroud vocals. i seemed to have solved this, but I didn't. Until the version I made some hours ago. I never faced such problems, but now I know how to del with this kind of latency in the Daw.
So phew, at last it sounds how I would like it to sound.

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
nice song opening.
wow what did you use for those haunting femme vocs ? wild lead bw. this is very very good.good tempo.
nice song dynamics later on in song. bringing it all down. loved ending.
i can see this was lots of work. i'm mighty impressed.

very well done bw.
om

Hi OldMuso how right you were on the amount of work on this song, but also long after you heard 'your' version.
The femme vocs are from my keyboard and software from Realitone. I even could let them sing some words instead of ooh's and aah's. But this is the first time I used them solo and as a choir. To my surprise it was less dificult than I thought.
And the tempo had a whole evolution. It started way down (90 bpm) as a Blues and ended on 110 bpm and as a kind of Rock.
Glad you liked it!

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hans I'm late to the party but I'm glad that I made it. It would be a crime to miss this one!
Everything has already been said that I would have said. You had me hooked from the first measure to the last.
Loved it.

Hello Mario, If you were late, what am I now? But I needed all my time on some sound difficulties I wrote to OldMuso (above). And the rest of my time flew away on playing a granddad, buying a new (E-) bike, my cats, cooking and so on.
Time flies, not only if you're having fun...
Thanks for that nice review "It would be a crime to miss this one"(!) I wished more people felt that way ;-)

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
I love the strong steady beat. Good song. I like the treatment on the vocals. I also like the female vocals. That's cool. Good one.

Hi Jptjptjpt for these nice words. Glad you liked the Ladies. It was my first time with them!

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Yeah, Netflix has been getting quite a bit of use at our place too, Hans. This is built around a fun idea and a very creative groove. Long time since I heard a talk box solo (Peter Frampton comes to mind). Nice.
Regards,
Leon

Hi Leon, I think all of us have a lot of fantasy on their musical projects. I'm always amazed to hear songs made out of ideas from all kinds of angles. And the lyrics even more. And you are one of them! Even without Netflix.
When you mentioned Peter Frampton on that talkbox I immediatly knew what song you meant. Very funny you came with it. But I thought I recently heard a song on the Forum where someone used it as well. I think it was Ray, but I'm not sure. But I like the sound of that instrument (in some kind of songs, like this one).

So I was very pleased with your posts and I wish you a very pleasant day,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I've been curious about those Realivox Ladies so I was particularly interested in hearing this. They sounded good. I liked the line "But I'm from Holland," that was great. Good song, good work.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Oh wow! Loved it. Fun tune, vocals great!

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
rsdean #673453 09/17/21 04:42 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Gary, Scott, David and Bob,

I enjoyed your replies on my song. Thanks for that!

Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Hans.
Loved this , my favourite of yours. Creative , innovative and well put together. made me want to move my two left feet ! Bravo.

Hi Gary, that sounds splendid; becoming your favorite song. (But; what was wrong with the others then? ;-))
I hope at your age two moving left feet won't be a problem? I will make a sentimental song within some time. One you also call your favorite and change one left feet into a right one. Kind of magic, but that is what music does to us, don't you think?

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved this tune Hans. Your instrument selection was excellent. Very cool how the song sat back and the the energy built and built then dropped back off. Super vocal. Perfect for the song. Super aggressive. Well done. That talkbox was need. Will have to look into that. :-)

Hi Scott, thanks a lot. Now I understand ággressive. I asked Ray to explain this to me. I usually have a negative feeling about that word. That's why I was confused. When you asked if I need a lead and a bassguitarist, I was thinking what kind of songs I would like that in. This latest song was already close to the finish. I only had problems with a latency-issue for my vocals. And you don't sing... So I come back on that soon!

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Very funny and catchy!
Such a great sound and mix too!
Lots of clever dynamics.

Hello David, your lyrics are as big as a book, but in your replies you be as short as can be. Mostly one sentence. But I got 3 of them! And nice ones too. Thanks for your post on it!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Hans,
Great song - great sound!
Bob

Hi Bob, I think you were imitating David Snyder with your reply. In one sentence you told it all. Great! Even David needed 3 sentences... Thanks, man.

As I said I liked your replies. Sometimes it takes a while before I can answer them, but I really cherish them all.
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool and intriguing song.

I like the mysterious sound you created with the tracks.

I like the females vocals; I would just lower their volume in the mix when you are singing.

Talkbox solo was a good choice.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi TuneMonger, Mike and ezekiel,

Thanks for your very nice comments on the song. I appreciated what you said.

TuneMonger, I had the Realivox Ladies for some years, but I used it rarely. I don't know why. Probably because I mostly like background vocals that can sing the same words as the leadvocal. The ladies can sing a bunch of words, but not my lyrics. That leaves only me...
In this song I used both possibilities; solo and choir. You can try it too!

Mike, I was amazed to receive this nice post of yours. I thought it wasn't your style at all. Thanks for the compliments!

Ezekiel, I remixed and remastered the song and I think the choir leaves my leadvocals more space.

Best wishes,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195