Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
DISCUSSION OF USER DEFINED CUSTOM BIAB CHORDS - NEW FEATURE IDEA or SILLY ?
reason for the post. i was busy on a new song idea this week, and this possible feature popped into my head.

over the years ive noticed certain users wishing to use a chord structure with a series of notes outside of biab's recognised set list of chords and extensions etc.
now i DO realise one could use notation / piano roll...but i got to thinking (and i dont claim to be a chord afficionado) it might be nice if a biab user entering chords in the biab chord sheet could also call on maybe up to 5 user defined chords.
lets call them "X CHORDS". user defined chords.
heres how it might work.
1. user defines notes in up to 5 X chords. X1, X2, X3, X4,X5 which biab stores.
2. in the chord sheet (for midi) when the user enters one of the X chords biab recognises it from the defined user list of notes in that chord , and voila plays those notes in the X chord for the instrument in question.
eg D,X3 or A,X2 kind of idea. these X chords entered in the chord sheet would of course show up in notation / piano roll etc. would this make things easier for certain users in useing special chord sets ?

i dont see how it might work for RT's as i dont know the internal workings of biab.
silly idea or not ?
best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/08/21 05:34 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps an item for the Wish List section?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
This would be possible for MIDI with the proper programming.

There is already a way to make a new shortcut for existing chords.

In RealTracks, this would not work unless the chord were already defined and artists played on it, or an alias was made to an existing chord.

Except for a few chords we’ve reported, most are supported in BIAB. Would you mind giving us an example of what you want?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Matt.
i dont claim to be a chord uber theorist...but for newbies another usefull feature in biab might be a user enters the notes in a chord and THEN biab id's the chord.
to save time trolling thru the chord builder.

heres why i suggest this also. sometimes i might spend some time looking in the chord builder and trolling through it to find the chord that best matches the notes in my mind.
lets take the chord notes for example...
F# + B + E + A
(which i'm sure your very familiar with. )
ie a nice chord one might put at the end of a song. where i come from we used to call this a 22nd chord.
dont know why. as i said i'm no uber theorist.

but..wouldnt it be nice to enter these notes into biab, and thus biab responds with its a such and such in the chord builder. this could save lots of time trolling thru the chord builder and extensions.
and would perhaps speed up , for newbies, the chord entry process in the biab chord sheet.
i would like to see this feature in addition to what i posted in my first post.
hope i make some sense.
now shoot me down..lol. cos your way better at this than i.
best
oldmuso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/08/21 01:18 PM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Do you have the Windows version of BIAB? If so, go to Windows menu, MIDI Chord Detection. Play the notes on your MIDI keyboard and BIAB will tell you the chord, giving you up to four choices in case it’s ambiguous.

This is perhaps my favorite function in BIAB, and it appears most users don’t seem to know about it.

For your example, BIAB calls it F#m11. There's a lesser chance it is a B4/F#. I don't particularly like either name, but then it's just all ascending fourths with F# in the root. The point is, unless it simply cannot form a chord in any traditional way out of the notes you feed it, BIAB will give you some good suggestions. I use this all the time doing transcriptions.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Matt.
but midi chord detect assumes a midi kbd.
if one is away from home base with no kbd...
a problem. eg in a hotel with a laptop only and biab.
roughing out a song.
thus i feel it would be usefull for both features.
ie user defined chords for the chord sheet and also entering chord notes and biab telling the user what chord to enter in chord sheet as a result.
btw in some circles i might be wrong f#m11 also includes a c# ?
the chord i cited had no c#...

what is interesting is even the net sites seem to disagree on
notes in certain chord shapes it seems.lol
best/respect
om

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
And a G# too. The ninth is implied in an 11th chord.

Four notes in ascending fourths is a pleasing sound but is not a traditionally-constructed chord in Western theory. I’m actually surprised BIAB attempted to name it.

By the way, MIDI Chord Detection does allow you to choose one of its recommendations and enter it into the chord sheet with a single keystroke.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Matt.
but midi chord detect assumes a midi kbd.
if one is away from home base with no kbd...
a problem. eg in a hotel with a laptop only and biab.
roughing out a song.
om

Maybe this will help:

https://www.scales-chords.com/chord-finder-guitar-piano.php?notes=E;F%23;A;B&chords=&scales=

Last edited by MarioD; 09/08/21 03:08 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
thanks mario. v interesting.
i'm gonna put a wish list item in also.
best
om

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
It does sound like an interesting idea to have chord detection with a software input instead of a MIDI hardware input. We will pass this along to the development team for consideration.

Best,
Chantelle
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
thanks mario. v interesting.
i'm gonna put a wish list item in also.
best
om

I just +1 on your wish list.

While reading it I realized that you figure out notes on your guitar so here is a couple of guitar programs that I use. One is like the piano one but for guitar because as you know we can't play many full jazz chords on 6 strings.

https://www.oolimo.com/guitarchords/find

https://www.oolimo.com/guitarchords/analyze

I hope these help.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
This may give some ideas:
Full Screen Pic

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This might have already been mentioned previously, but RealTracks are pre-recorded and therefore their available chords they'll recognize predefined by what the artist has played, so there wouldn't be an easy way to retroactively add in the custom chords, but for MIDI this is something that could be possible!

Cheers,
Ember
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
This would be possible for MIDI with the proper programming.

There is already a way to make a new shortcut for existing chords.

In RealTracks, this would not work unless the chord were already defined and artists played on it, or an alias was made to an existing chord.

Except for a few chords we’ve reported, most are supported in BIAB. Would you mind giving us an example of what you want?

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
With all the MidiSuperTracks you should be able to snap them to any chord/scale other than what they were recorded to. With RapidComposer I can drop a MidiSuperTrack phrase into it and it will refit it to any chord/scale, it's high time Biab can be made to do this along with having an option to snap notes in the Piano Roll to chord/scale marked by colors.

Apprentice
Apprentice
You are sooo right,…
Not about chords not being in the list, because all possible chords are in the list. (Save, maybe some chords only used by Debussy or Dave Liebman) But…
Today, midi styles play only 7 different chord types (for the bass, that is, for piano, maybe 10). For the real styles it’s sometimes better, sometimes worse.

My way of describing it.

Band in a box can DISPLAY all chord types, but can only PLAY the basic chord types, largely ignoring alterations or playing them wrongly. smile

Of course, the algorithm tries to enhance or embellish. Cause most people just write chords that don’t define the proper harmony. They write C7, where C7#11 is required. It’s a trade-off.

As users, we should write the chords properly and pgmusic should have their algorithm fixed so chords are played correctly.

If they fixed that, you would be happier. Me too.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
A few random related thoughts:

I don't know why the program sometimes does not play a certain chord, particularly an upper extension, but sometimes as simple as playing a major versus dominant seventh (horrors). My point is, I don't think it's because it cannot; I think it's because some algorithm chooses not to. And I'm not including the bass in this comment; Dzjang did excellent research on the limitations there.

If you examine what BIAB exports to Music XML, you learn a few more things. For example, you mentioned 7#11. A 7#11 and 9#11 are both exported as 9#11. For decades, 7#11 was not supported; you could not even enter it, despite its popularity in jazz fakebook charts. Now you can enter it, but it appears to be playing as 9#11.

NC is listed in pgshortc.txt but has never been supported as a keyed abbreviation for No Chord. Instead we use something like C. which works fine but messes up the printed leadsheet.

And then there is the 2 chord. A 2, add2 and add9 are all equated to a 2 chord in BIAB. Look at pgshortc.txt to see this.

In the case of Natural Arrangement, changing what I wrote makes some sense, although we have no idea what that algorithm is.

B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
I am not a Jazz cat, but I agree we should know more about the algorithms used, both for MIDI and RealTracks; when there is a discrepancy between what we entered and what is played, it should be clearly shown by the program; this is the only way to learn music properly

Bernard Rasson

BIAB Audiophile 2021, BIAB Megapak 2015 (for midi-only projects), Cakewalk, Roland XV-5080, Roland Fantom XR, Aria AC60 Nylon Strings Guitar, Almansa Spanish Guitar, Fender Stratocaster Japan, two laptops
Je parle français
Apprentice
Apprentice
I totally agree with Matt and Bernard.

And that was the reason for this thread, I think. If you want a certain chord, like that F#min11, bass and piano should reflect that very particular choice.

A lot of “modern” jazz cats write very exact chords (Kenny Wheeler writes down every extension, as do Pat Metheny and Joshua Redman). No guess work, cause they want specific harmonies to go with the melody.

I know PGMusic could help us out here. Sure, it would limit the variation for very basic chord charts, but it would add to the experience.

In the New Real Book some standards have alternate changes (as played by Herbie Hancock or Bill Evans). Bob Norton wrote them out for Band in a Box, very detailed and professionally done. Sadly, biab can’t play them properly and you lose the possibility to experiment with harmony and reharmonizations.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com
Veteran
Veteran
Guys, IMO this is exactly what Scaler does so well. BIAB, by way of its Styles, dictate the specific voicing (including extensions) implied by the chord/scale. This is the algorithm and as indicated, it is less than accurate. Scaler, on the other hand, will harmonize the chord/scale exactly, per instruction by the user, though triads, sevenths, ninths, 11ths and 13ths. Each chord voicing can be specifically set and played. Scaler creates the midi notes and then it is up to the user to direct the midi to the different instruments in the band (by the way, directing the midi to the band is something BIAB is the master)

Having said that, I have to concede that this apparent limitation by BIAB does not mean much to the average user. The product has done quite well for itself and its users for decades just as it is. But yes, a few would be a bit happier if a more intelligent fix was available.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,584
Posts734,714
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197