Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Been thinking about upgrading my laptop memory. According to the memory checker CPUID-CPUZ, my laptop is currently running with a CL latency of 21 at 1.20 volts. If I drop down to CL's of 16, say for example using Crucial Ballistic memory, it looks like the voltage on the chips ups to 1.35.

Is this voltage increase due to the lower CL or are there motherboards that run at a higher voltage?

Do I have to stick with only chips that run at 1.2 volts or could I go for better CL timings and run 1.35 volts?

My laptop is a Lenovo Legion series 5 (17IMH05H) with an 10th Gen i7 10750H processor and dual channel DDR4-3200 SODIMM ram.

I know we got some computer experts here on the forum and I'm wondering if you could steer me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just checking, can you remove and replace your processor? Some laptop builders used to solder in parts making them impossible to remove by non-techs.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You have me thinking now Matt. I don't think I have ever seen a laptop with a ZIF socket. Always soldered.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I might be able to do that Matt, but since it's a 10th Gen i7 I don't think I would gain much other than to go to an i9 or 11th Gen.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Jeff, although I have built all my computers since 1983, I've never experimented with overclocking or anything comparable, so I can't help with that kind of question. I value stability over speed in digital audio.

Just curious again, even if you can change the CPU, have you looked at a CPU comparison chart to see how much speed you would really get with a different CPU, without changing the motherboard and RAM? I'm guessing less that twice what you have now, or in other words, not worth doing it.

And won't your current setup run Windows 11 ok?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
Been thinking about upgrading my laptop memory. According to the memory checker CPUID-CPUZ, my laptop is currently running with a CL latency of 21 at 1.20 volts. If I drop down to CL's of 16, say for example using Crucial Ballistic memory, it looks like the voltage on the chips ups to 1.35.

Is this voltage increase due to the lower CL or are there motherboards that run at a higher voltage?

Do I have to stick with only chips that run at 1.2 volts or could I go for better CL timings and run 1.35 volts?

My laptop is a Lenovo Legion series 5 (17IMH05H) with an 10th Gen i7 10750H processor and dual channel DDR4-3200 SODIMM ram.

I know we got some computer experts here on the forum and I'm wondering if you could steer me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jeff

It's possible that lowering the CAS Latency value might require upping the voltage, as the RAM will be working harder and might need a little more juice. Googling that particular Lenovo, it specifies RAM voltage at 1.2v so I'd say you're better off sticking with that - because as Matt said:
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I value stability over speed in digital audio.

Stability is far more important than any minor gain in speed you might get. I have literally never seen any noticeable speed increase in any audio software by tweaking RAM timing or overclocking or anything - it really comes down to amount of ram and speed of storage (SSD or RAID-0).

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
You have me thinking now Matt. I don't think I have ever seen a laptop with a ZIF socket. Always soldered.

There are some. I've had older Thinkpads and HP Elitebooks that had ZIF sockets - was quite nice to get a cheap dual-core laptop and be able to toss in a quad-core i7. I haven't seen a laptop with a socketed CPU in years though, I kinda assumed they stopped making them that way.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Appreciate all the help here guys. I'm a tweaker by nature and looking to get the last remaining bit out of this new laptop.

Where I'm at issues with this is that this new laptop, even though running a 10th Gen i7 with an NVME SSD and a separate mechanical HD; it actually runs slower that my 7th Gen i7 desktop. The desktop also has an NVME SSD and mechanical HD. While buss speeds are the same, the desktop has better CL timings, but slower DDR4 RAM.

The desktop also has 32 gig of ram whereas the laptop has 16. With all of my music software the laptop never seems to use more than 25% of the RAM...but why would it be slower??

Got me stumped.

Jeff

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Could be a power management setting somewhere. The 10750H benchmarks around 30% higher than the 7700K.

Have you run any benchmarks on it to see where the bottleneck is? Run a CPU benchmark, GPU, and disk speed test on both machines, that might yield the answer.

Could also be preloaded software - many new computers come with a lot of bloat. Could be worth uninstalling some things, or reinstall the OS fresh. That's a bit of a heavy-handed solution though.

Last edited by Simon - PG Music; 09/08/21 11:10 AM.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Simon, it has been many years since PG Music posted some minimum scores to run BIAB well. What do you recommend using now?

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This might make a few of you cringe, but my work desktop has an i5-3550 which has a Passmark score of 4,760, with 16gb ram, 256gb SATA-3 SSD, and the integrated Intel graphics. It runs BIAB and RealBand quite nicely, so I'd say anything above that should be good.

Could go even lower though - I briefly tried BB on a very "lightweight" laptop not too long ago, which had a Intel Core m3-6Y30 sub-1ghz CPU, benchmark is around 1,947 and it seemed fine.

By comparison, Jeff's i7-10750H benchmarks at 12,522 and the 7700K is around 9,708.

Last edited by Simon - PG Music; 09/08/21 01:24 PM.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Some good suggestions there Simon...back to the studio to try and figure this out!

Thanks!

Jeff

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Anyone still using the Geekbench 4 single-core score as a standard?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Simon, I haven't seen Passmark mentioned in a long time. I use to recommend Passmark hardware and software packages to students for use in field testing pc components and I/O ports. Their USB port test can recognize a USB port with a weak power or data connection better than any other test I'm aware of.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
Some good suggestions there Simon...back to the studio to try and figure this out!

Thanks!

Jeff

No prob Jeff, let us know how it goes!

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Anyone still using the Geekbench 4 single-core score as a standard?

I don't typically use Geekbench scores, though since I'm a Mac guy I see them often on EveryMac.com which I use as a rough comparison when troubleshooting someone's system. I only look at the Passmark site since it basically lists every CPU from the last - I dunno - 20 years or so? It offers a good comparison.

Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Simon, I haven't seen Passmark mentioned in a long time. I use to recommend Passmark hardware and software packages to students for use in field testing pc components and I/O ports. Their USB port test can recognize a USB port with a weak power or data connection better than any other test I'm aware of.

Interesting device, looks really cool with the USB monitoring. A bit expensive for me though - I bought one of the testers below, which works well enough for me. Gotta be careful with it though, since it's possible to dial up a 4.5amp load which can easily fry a computer USB port - USB2 ports are usually limited to 500ma max and USB3 can be as low as 900ma.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
tester.jpg (167.07 KB, 7 downloads)

I work here
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195