Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#672776 09/13/21 02:17 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is a track for a space video I am trying to create. So far all I have is live guitar and keyboards. The end results will contain vocals.

I am struggling to come up with a drum track. I have Superior Drummer and Addictive Drums plus all the stuff in BIAB.

This is a short clip that can be downloaded.

https://soundcloud.com/planobilly/space

Any ideas for a drum track?

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A great track deserves great drums. Challenge accepted. Lets see if I can do some damage. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Dan...looking forward to what you come up with.

This is in Cm at 110 BPM.

So you can visualize what I have in mind for the video, the first 16 bars with the guitar hits see the spaceship in the distance, and get closer with each guitar hit.

After that, there is a transition to the inside of the spaceship, and the vocal starts. The person singing is an android/humanoid who is running the ship but does not consider what he is doing as singing. He has his back to the camera much of the time.

I know, send the guys with the white coats to Billy's house...lol

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Billy.
this is v nice, but i feel compelled to say i'm not sure this evocative track needs traditional drums.

i'm hearing more the idea of sparse tympani and orchestral drum hits throughout the piece judiciously placed, rather than a drum trak constantly banging away like one might hear in other genres. i'm thinking what would a orchestral arranger do in this situation ? i feel he/she would tsake a sparse approach with the occasional dramatic drum hit.
i hope you dont mind my honest comment.

best
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Billy.
this is v nice, but i feel compelled to say i'm not sure this evocative track needs traditional drums.

i'm hearing more the idea of sparse tympani and orchestral drum hits throughout the piece judiciously placed, rather than a drum trak constantly banging away like one might hear in other genres. i'm thinking what would a orchestral arranger do in this situation ? i feel he/she would tsake a sparse approach with the occasional dramatic drum hit.

best
om

Absolutely, please always feel free to comment as you like about anything I post.

Because I have been struggling with the percussion aspect I suspect you may be right. I also was thinking about some sound effects to emulate a spacecraft engine with the correct pulse to fit the music.

I defiantly can hear sparse tympani.

I have to run out to Miami to get a third Covid shot so I will be off the air for a few hours well...unless the Covid shot places a drum track in my DAw...You know, the nano stuff to track your whereabouts and control you...lol

Billy....lol

Last edited by Planobilly; 09/13/21 05:15 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Hey that's the spirit Dan!

I love to see people collaborate like this!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
First layer of drums are done! grin But it is hard to stop and not move to adding another layer. I have set a deadline for myself of end of day so I will upload what I got at that time.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Dan, Take your time. I am not in any hurry. This whole idea is in the early development stage.

If there is anything I can do for you just ask. The same goes for anyone else.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 09/13/21 10:21 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Billy.

best
om

I agree with the above. Along the lines of this thought, the sparkly DX-7 sounding electric piano seems too far forward compared to the other sounds.

The chord changes are ACE!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK, you asked for an "idea". So here is a quick mix.

Everything goes better with Toms

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Everything is better with Toms.JPG (64.39 KB, 65 downloads)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dan,

That's so cinematic it kinda' reminds me of the Spongebob Squarepants +++ Sweet Victory +++ Super Bowl performance.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Dan,

That's so cinematic it kinda' reminds me of the Spongebob Squarepants +++ Sweet Victory +++ Super Bowl performance.

Pretty good call there Jim. Now I have to wonder how did you know that? grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Sorry guys, I was feeling a bit tired and went to bed very early last evening.

Well...Thank you Dan for the drum track. It certainly gives me some ideas. I really appreciate you taking the time to deal with this.

I definitely think we all should follow Dan's lead in being willing to take the time to help other people with their music.

So, again thanks Dan.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 09/14/21 01:14 AM.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Rockstar...you are definitely right about the mix. In fact, I am not sure if that is even the sound I am looking for.

Jim, drums aside, the cartoon was pretty funny.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Pretty good call there Jim. Now I have to wonder how did you know that? grin

Ha Ha Ha, me too grin grin

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The way forward...

This whole project is upside down. I am writing the music for a video that has not been produced yet. In fact, I have only started to write the script and produce a storyboard. To make matters worse I have no idea what I am doing...lol

This idea has been rolling around in my head for several years.

I have about a zillion dollars tied up in Toontracks software and they have "orchestral drums" that have the sounds I am looking for. Another $250 dollars...Jezzes...will it never end!

As all this started out as a musical idea a long time ago, I never considered the possibility of this turning into a "cinematic orchestral" production.

A short look into orchestral VSTs left a lump in my throat as to the cost of such VSTs.

I have been wanting to do something different for some time. This is for sure different.

I am really in uncharted waters, in the deep end of the pool and over my head. It is becoming apparent I really need to score all this out. That is a scary idea!

I can see already that I will need some help. That most likely will involve psychiatric help also...lol

Cheers,

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Way to go, Billy! Nothing better than having an idea and taking it to fruition, especially a musical idea. Despite the frustrations, deep inside I'll bet you're looking forward to the challenges. You got my support, for sure.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Billy.
before spending oodles of dough..mario turned me on to free orchestral vst plug ins. he is an expert imho.
also google/you tube , and there are quite a few that sound great... includeing orch drums.
eg
https://blog.landr.com/best-free-orchestral-vsts/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy8grPuJi8c

i would talk to mario who does great cinematics if you peruse the user showcase.
also there are lots of pd orch sounds around. just read the licensing carefully. eg freesound.
best
oldmuso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/14/21 02:10 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the link oldmuso. I have been looking around for free or nearly free stuff. I will get Mario's thoughts on the subject. He is always ready to help anyone.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Way to go, Billy! Nothing better than having an idea and taking it to fruition, especially a musical idea. Despite the frustrations, deep inside I'll bet you're looking forward to the challenges. You got my support, for sure.

Thanks Trev...you are one of the good guys who is always reaching out to help people.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195