Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#672805 - 09/13/21 08:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Look What I Found In The Chicken [Re: Ember - PG Music]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I watched a really interested video clip from the Explained series that goes over Music that actually, in the opening, explains that at a certain point that repetition -- even in nature -- starts to sound like music to us after a while. I think that grabbing audio samples or getting inspired by what we heard in the world around us is a very worthwhile experiment. Thanks for sharing!

Got link?

I keep thinking of Bernie Krause, the old Weavers / Moog-in-the-60s guy who became devoted to recording and integrating natural sound into music. He can explain how an entire ecosystem of audible creatures will negotiate for bandwidth, so that one species won't drown out another speaking in the same band, and then perform like an orchestra. It's like a native combination of composition theory and compression algorithms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Krause

#672808 - 09/13/21 08:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Look What I Found In The Chicken [Re: Birchwood]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

Hans, I appreciate your criticism about the piece being too short. I think that's actually for two reasons.

#1 is that this is pretty "dense" stuff, and a little goes a long way; I could keep doing what I do to come up with more minutes of material, but I don't know how much more of this even I would want to listen to! Sometimes I make things like this that are even shorter, "miniatures", because what happens within the first few seconds is about all there is to them – a particular concept implemented with some interesting results. Which isn't to say that a skilled composer couldn't take off and produce a more extended work, spinning off from this material. But I don't really possess those skills, myself.

#2 is that I don't want to impose on my potential listeners! I figure if you can see up front that a piece is only 1:18, you might be more inclined to give it a shot and maybe even stick with it to the end.

Regarding Satie, yes yes yes, I get the connection. I wish I could do that.

Listening to "Gnossiennes" right now, and my train of thought is drifting.

Do you know that Brian Eno composed the Windows 95 startup music?

#672829 - 09/13/21 11:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Look What I Found In The Chicken [Re: BabuMusic]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Haha. Forked off in 2 different directions. hehe. Man, I like your style and creativity, Mark, but you were wrong about the 1:15 of my life. I went on to Roosterramma then came back to this one again a couple times. Time well spent. I remember seeing Frank Zappa on TV in the 50s playing the bicycle with drum sticks.

Babu, thanks again for commenting, for allowing my music to inspire any association with the music of Frank Zappa, and for mentioning that wonderful TV video. I am very very honored by this particular connection. If I think of myself in terms of any single musician, I think of myself as a very, very, very inferior Frank Zappa.

I do this thing with chicken sounds (and natural sounds in general) as kind of an experiment, and I offer the output as the results of an experiment, and perhaps an engaging novelty. That way, if it's awful I can say, “Well, it was just an experiment!” and if it's at all listenable I can say, “How about that, some of this actually sounds like music!”

But underneath, I’m pretty serious. I get all conceptual and philosophical.

Whenever I come up with something like this that sounds at all interesting or maybe even good (!!) I find myself wondering if I am, with this simple approach of computerized pitch-recognition, unearthing actual latent musical qualities in the source material. Like: I’m expertly using Logic Pro as a tool to bring humanly inaudible chicken music to the surface. I’m tweaking things, for sure, but is there something there to start out with? Or am I “discovering” the chicken song in the way that a sculptor “discovers” the statue within the block of marble, which is to say, not really at all?

When I listen to the very audible mood changes in “Look What” I really do wonder where this stuff is coming from. I didn’t do it, the chickens certainly didn’t do it like THAT, and the human musicians playing didn’t do it. I guess the musicality there is most likely an emanation from the mind of the BIAB programmers behind the algorithms. But I really would like to give as much credit as possible to the chickens.

Again, the Ladies and Gentlemen of the Owen Farm chickenhouse thank you for your attention.

#673507 - 09/17/21 01:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Look What I Found In The Chicken [Re: Mark Hayes]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Stranger things have happened.

Well, maybe not smile

Far out bebop jazz in a barnyard!

Experimentally cool....

J&B

#673508 - 09/17/21 02:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Look What I Found In The Chicken [Re: Janice & Bud]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
bebop jazz in a barnyard!

I was going to say "BJIAB", then I thought, oh, maybe don't say that. =8^)

#673752 - 09/19/21 05:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: Look What I Found In The Chicken [Re: Mark Hayes]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

Oh yeah! That was cool, and I loved it. Unusual, yes, but still pleasing. Very clever.

#673766 - 09/19/21 07:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Look What I Found In The Chicken [Re: Mark Hayes]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Roosters.... you want roosters? I have 3 adults and a number of adolescent males.... The adults start out at 4:30ish in the morning.... announcing that shortly, the sun will be coming up.

That second one.... the real roosters.... that was the perfect soundtrack to the scene in a movie where the mentally disturbed individual is having a conversation with himself.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#674278 - 09/22/21 07:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: Look What I Found In The Chicken [Re: Ezekiel's Storm]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Oh yeah! That was cool, and I loved it. Unusual, yes, but still pleasing. Very clever.

Thanks! I have a link to a website with elephants, and vague plans to do them next.

Right now I'm just thinking "Look What I Found In The Elephant" and seeing a guy standing in back of an elephant, in a pile of elephant poop, holding up a gold watch.

He looks like... Jackie Gleason.

#674281 - 09/22/21 07:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Look What I Found In The Chicken [Re: Guitarhacker]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
That second one.... the real roosters.... that was the perfect soundtrack to the scene in a movie where the mentally disturbed individual is having a conversation with himself.

Interesting. I heard more menace in the instrumental. Maybe the chicken vocals just sound like normal speech to me, which I should perhaps be concerned by. At least I'm not clucking to myself yet.

#674559 - 09/23/21 04:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Look What I Found In The Chicken [Re: Mark Hayes]
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Expert

laugh

#675362 - 09/28/21 04:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Look What I Found In The Chicken [Re: Mark Hayes]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

<undeleteable>

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Boot Camp: An introduction to 10 major features and new RealTracks!

We've made a great tutorial feature for 7 of the 10 major features of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows.
(the other 3 drum stems, track settings, and ReMix Vocal Songs will be covered in "Boot Camp, part 2/2" - coming soon!)

Here is Part 1/2: Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Boot Camp: An introduction to 10 major features and new RealTracks!

Table of Contents:
All Tracks are Equal 00:50
Playable RealTracks 9:00
MultiRiff 24:35
MicroChords 38:24
Motifs 48:51
Volume Node Automation 51:18

Coming soon in part 2:
Drum stems
Track Settings "One-Stop-Shop"
ReMix Vocal Full Songs
222 new RealTracks
1-Click Downloader/Installer

NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 12 for Band-in-a-Box®!

If you love our existing Xtra Styles PAKs, you'll definitely want to have a listen to our NEW Xtra Styles PAK 12, with 200 more fully-produced styles! 50 each for: Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and our new Blues styles option!

Video: Xtra Styles PAK 12 Demos

Order this month and save 40%! During our Xtra Styles PAK 12 special, which ends December 31st, all of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-12 are on sale for just $29 each (reg. $49)! Looking for more Xtra Styles PAKs? You can purchase our complete library of all 2,000+ RealStyles with the Xtra Styles PAK 1-12 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)! Learn more & order now.

Note: These Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® version 2021 or 2022.

RealBand 2022 is Here!

There are over 30 new features to RealBand 2022, including the ability to install multiple VST plugins from a folder at a time, improved Audio Chord Wizard detection routines, the ability to record mixer movement for the masters/subgroups, new Transpose/Stretch All Tracks dialog lets you transpose/stretch/reduce all tracks and then conveniently save to a new file, the new settings to save selected tracks only and exclude muted tracks when saving all tracks to individual files, the option to save all tracks to a compressed format, and much more.

RealBand is included in ALL Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases – during our special (which ends December 31st) to save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in RealBand 2022 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows is here! There are 50+ new features, 222 new RealTracks(20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 12, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2021 - save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2022 packages during our special, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows.

Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!
(November 24)

Don't own a Jukebox? Well, if you have Band-in-a-Box®, you actually do with the Jukebox feature!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® songs within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, Harmony Settings, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening.

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual.
Mac Jukebox details found here.

Tell Us Your Favorite Band-in-a-Box Features

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We'd love it if you shared your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we absolutely LOVE getting feedback!

Take a peak at other posts while you're there - you never know... someone else's favorite feature might become yours too!

RealTracks Artist Pat Martino

We are saddened to hear of the passing of jazz guitar legend Pat Martino yesterday.

Pat was part of our RealTracks Artist "Jazz Pollwinners 2" series in 2014. You can learn about Pat and listen to his RealTracks contribution here.

Pat had been playing guitar since he was just 12 years old, and devoted himself to music in grade ten. On top of years of performing (he began playing professionally in 1961), Pat received many awards for his playing, including the "Jazz Legacy" Award in 2016 presented by Pennsylvania State Senator Vincent Hughes and his wife Sheryl Lee Ralph-Hughes.

Learn even more about Pat Martino when you visit his website, http://www.patmartino.com/.

Forum Stats
35215 Members
63 Forums
71758 Topics
625159 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Randy 51, lopez, kazim2u, johanw, Miguelsv

35214 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 449
Matt Finley 248