Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#672929 - 09/14/21 06:33 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Need some drum ideas [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: Wauconda, Il.
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Wauconda, Il.
Billy sounds like you have taken on an ambitious project. Just a few comments on the drum thoughts.

Regarding orchestral percussion. I did make a couple attempts of working with this in the short piece you uploaded. I have gone down that rabbit hole over the past years and have a collection of suitable VSTs to produce this, for example, Kirt Hunter's kettle drums and tympanyi, Kontact Komplete 13, several of the Spitfire Orchestra products, and those are only a few of the products I remember I have.

As suggested by others here, these type of swelling and thunderous hits with long tails make sense in your space story board. However I found they just did not fit in the track you provided. These types of sounds simply need more "space" in the mix.

That short track has three sections: Intro (4 bars), Bridge (8 bars) and Soft Section (~18 bars). The Bridge section is the best candidate for the orchestral percussion, but each downbeat has a hard guitar strum which does not go well with a big drum hit. In fact, the Toms I used avoided the downbeat in all sections. And the Soft Section is too quite for a heavy hit.

Bottom line, it is a nice piece and a good start to your project. If there is anything else that I can do for you, just holler.

Dan

SoundCloud

#672931 - 09/14/21 06:37 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Need some drum ideas [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Thanks for the link oldmuso. I have been looking around for free or nearly free stuff. I will get Mario's thoughts on the subject. He is always ready to help anyone.

Billy

Hi Billy,

Along with the free orchestral VSTs you might want to check the free SFZ sounds:

https://sfzinstruments.github.io/orchestra/

I have found the least expensive really good orchestral sounds are Kirt Hunter Virtuoso Ensembles :

https://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/products/virtuoso-ensembles-kontakt-retail/

(wait for a sale - I purchased it for $149 - but it requires the full version of Kontakt)

and Amadeus

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/amadeus-symphonic-orchestra-by-sonic-scores-music-software

($149 and it runs on the free Kontakt Player)

I just found out that the Garritan Instant Orchestra is free:

https://garritan2017.wixsite.com/personal-orchestra-5

(I bought that a number of years ago - it still has usable sounds and this maybe the best free one out there)

These are just off of the top of my head. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Note that starting tomorrow I will be on vacation/holiday. Where I am going may not have WiFi so I maybe off line for about a week or so.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#672941 - 09/14/21 07:11 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Need some drum ideas [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
The free version of BBC Symphony Orchestra from Spitfire Audio is excellent.

It includes timpani... (and other percussion).

As an alternative, you might consider using some synth drums for a more futuristic sound. They (synths) all come with a wide variety of "drums sounds" and much of today's music is built around them - embracing the those-don't-sound-like-real-drums sound of synth-y drums...

#672944 - 09/14/21 07:16 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Need some drum ideas [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: Miami, Florida
Planobilly Online   content
Expert

Thanks Mario for the links. I will investigate those.

Billy

#672945 - 09/14/21 07:24 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Need some drum ideas [Re: floyd jane]
Expert

Originally Posted By: floyd jane

As an alternative, you might consider using some synth drums for a more futuristic sound. They (synths) all come with a wide variety of "drums sounds" and much of today's music is built around them - embracing the those-don't-sound-like-real-drums sound of synth-y drums...

Hi Floyd,
I think I downloaded the free BBC from Spitfire yesterday. Their paid version is pretty world famous.

Funny you should mention the synth drum idea. Some friends in Europe have been sending me ideas. Here is one.

https://soundcloud.com/planobilly/engineering-scratch-demo-engineeringscratchdemo-bagpipe-planobily-space-ideas

I am sure it will take me a few days to sort through all this.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Billy

#672947 - 09/14/21 07:41 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Need some drum ideas [Re: Planobilly]
Expert

Thanks Dan for all the feedback. What you are saying is certainly logical to me. All of this is just ideas that are being developed and the final product will most likely be quite different.

Perhaps I should have posted the original piano piece so everyone could get an idea of how all this started. Maybe I will do that if I have the time today.

Thanks for all the help.

Billy

#673043 - 09/14/21 04:30 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Need some drum ideas [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Boom. The spitfire is the best IMO

#673048 - 09/14/21 04:38 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Need some drum ideas [Re: rockstar_not]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rockstar_not

Boom. The spitfire is the best IMO

I forgot about Spitfire. Yes it is one of if not the best free one out there.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#673087 - Yesterday at 01:30 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Need some drum ideas [Re: MarioD]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I just found out that the Garritan Instant Orchestra is free:

https://garritan2017.wixsite.com/personal-orchestra-5

Sorry, this is a bogus site.

MakeMusic bought Garritan a number years ago, and it's still a commercial product.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#673097 - Yesterday at 04:52 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Need some drum ideas [Re: dcuny]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Whooops. If that's the case, then thanks for the heads-up !
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#673236 - Yesterday at 06:07 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Need some drum ideas [Re: Planobilly]
Loc: Akron, Oh
eddie1261 Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Akron, Oh
My best advice is simply to bang the drum slowly...

Edited by eddie1261 (Yesterday at 06:17 PM)

I do not work ANYWHERE!

#673245 - Yesterday at 07:00 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Need some drum ideas [Re: eddie1261]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
My best advice is simply to bang the drum slowly...

That's about how I figured this would go. He was asking for ideas. Billy heard it, so I'm good. cool

Edited by HearToLearn (Yesterday at 07:37 PM)
As people have left the "." out so many times, "Caaron" has become the norm of it. Still said as the "." was there though. smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 contient quelques 80 fonctionnalités inédites!

Nous avons beaucoup travaillé pour offrir à Band-in-a-Box® 2021® cette étonnante panoplie de quelques 80 fonctions inédites et sa collection de contenus originaux à savoir : 202 RealTracks, des RealStyles inédits, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes Instrument, des Performances Artiste, un Bonus RealDrums "Solo", des transcriptions RealDrums, les MultiStyles PAK 1, les Xtra Styles PAKs 10 et 11, et bien plus encore!

Achat | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

VIDEO: Band-in-a-Box® Works Great in Windows®11!

Here's an introductory look at Band-in-a-Box® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Band-in-a-Box® Tip - Remove Patch Changes from MIDI File

Don't forget to check out our Tips & Tricks Forum, where you'll read all about how other users are working with the program and sharing their handy tips!

Like one of the latest posts, HOW TO: Remove patch changes from MIDI file. Noel96 explains how to remove the patches from a downloaded MIDI file direcly in Band-in-a-Box!

Have a tip of your own? Make sure you share it to the Tips & Tricks Forum!

Forum Stats
34862 Members
66 Forums
70789 Topics
612743 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Drew_An, robinw, katamarie, EdWas1234, Johnnycake

34862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 178
VideoTrack 160