Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#673348 - 09/16/21 01:21 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT
Loc: Victoria, BC
Callie - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#673350 - 09/16/21 01:30 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

I’ve been using it almost 30 years. It’s fun to look back.
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

#673351 - 09/16/21 01:37 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: Rouen, France
Marco76 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Rouen, France
Excellent !!!

#673430 - 09/17/21 04:58 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: Iceland
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Wow, have you come a looong way or what! shocked

No seriously, this time you've really topped yourself, that's an absolutely brilliant find cool

p.s. If anyone could dig up a sample of what the program actually sounded like back then, with its 3-track limits and all, I'd be most interested to hear it wink

#673440 - 09/17/21 06:36 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: Florida
etcjoe Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Florida
I think I bought it in 1991 or 1992, I can't remember, I used to have the diskettes. Remember those! Threw them out quite a while back when my wife said I had to clean/straighten my music room!

#673568 - 09/18/21 03:52 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: Callie - PG Music]
PatrickS Offline
Enthusiast

I well remember using BIAB on an Atari 1040ST. It certainly has advanced in all respects. Imagine how many diskettes you would need to use for the current version!

#673578 - 09/18/21 04:41 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: PatrickS]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

going thru the attic i recently found an atari st sequencer 1 diskette and some games...ah those were the days.lol.

the st had good midi timing if i remember.
om

#673584 - 09/18/21 05:22 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: Callie - PG Music]
swingbabymix Offline
Journeyman

30 years ago, BIAB had found the right direction.
Chord, style, generation
After 30 years of accumulation, a revolution in music production will be set off in 2021.
Many people may not realize it.

#673968 - 09/20/21 08:10 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Congrats!

But there is no way anyone will ever, ever, ever compete with this EPIC demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdpWc0hT5OQ

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#673984 - 09/20/21 10:18 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: Callie - PG Music]
Mark Hayes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Callie - PG Music
I think our name was a great start!

I recall being aware of the existence of BIAB back in the early 90s, but I never tried it out until a few months ago. Why not? Well, partly because of that name, which always had cheesy associations for me.

#673988 - 09/20/21 10:34 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: David Snyder]
Callie - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Congrats!

Great video flashback - thanks for the share!

#673993 - 09/20/21 10:57 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: David Snyder]
Loc: Derry,Ireland
musiclover Offline
Veteran

Loc: Derry,Ireland

Congrats!

Great video, we need Peters brother in law to join the forum.

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2021, Cubase elements 11 and Cakewalk by Bandlab.

#674004 - 09/20/21 12:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: Mark Hayes]
Loc: Southeast USA
bloc-head Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
Originally Posted By: Callie - PG Music
I think our name was a great start!

I recall being aware of the existence of BIAB back in the early 90s, but I never tried it out until a few months ago. Why not? Well, partly because of that name, which always had cheesy associations for me.

I loved the name Band-In-A-Box way back in the midi only, floppy days... now, I think the name is "cheesy"... but I do love the program & PGM... and especially this outstanding forum.
Native Komplete w/ S49 Kbd Controller

#674008 - 09/20/21 12:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: David Snyder]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

“The computer will add a few colorful things that will add some zip to the song.”

And there it is.
BIAB 2021 Win Audiophile & Mac UltraPak. Software: Studio One 5 Pro, Adobe Audition CC, Notion 6; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & A5X monitors

#674009 - 09/20/21 12:17 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: musiclover]
bloc-head Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: musiclover

Congrats!

Great video, we need Peters brother in law to join the forum.

I totally agree... I love this guy...

#674011 - 09/20/21 12:19 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: Matt Finley]
bloc-head Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
“The computer will add a few colorful things that will add some zip to the song.”

And there it is.

Ha, this is great

#674058 - 09/20/21 05:52 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: David Snyder]
Simon - PG Music Online   content
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: PatrickS
I well remember using BIAB on an Atari 1040ST. It certainly has advanced in all respects. Imagine how many diskettes you would need to use for the current version!

Doing some rough math, if you were using 360k floppy disks it would take nearly 73,000 floppies to fit the Pro version of BIAB 2021, which is the smallest one available. For the Audiophile edition it would take nearly 4.5 million! The stack of floppies for the Pro would be almost 80 feet high, and for the Audiophile would be nearly a mile!

Congrats!

Hah, great find David!

#674904 - 09/25/21 08:37 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: Simon - PG Music]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
Doing some rough math, if you were using 360k floppy disks it would take nearly 73,000 floppies to fit the Pro version of BIAB 2021, which is the smallest one available. For the Audiophile edition it would take nearly 4.5 million! The stack of floppies for the Pro would be almost 80 feet high, and for the Audiophile would be nearly a mile!
Oh wow, if there was an award issued for the "Geekiest post of a thread", then this one takes the crown for sure! laugh

#675140 - 09/27/21 08:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: Simon - PG Music]
Loc: UK
Gordon Scott Online   content
Apprentice

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music

Right, so if I were to install Pro at, say, 2 minutes per disc at 8 hours per day, I could be installed in just a little over 10 months.

I suspect many of us would be dead before we'd installed that audiophile edition.

It's easy sometimes to forget just how far things have moved on. My first hands-on computer, around 1973, was a Data General Nova 3 with twin 8" 160k floppies, a "massive" 128kB magnetic memory and a "top-loader washing machine" for 5MB Winchester + 5MB removable drive, the latter taking a couple or so hours to spin up or down.

My present actual washing machine almost certainly has more compute power, though it may still be lower on storage.

Now I casually consider whether to go to 1 or 2TB on my next SSD drive.

Hmm, I wonder, though not much(!), just how many tons of paper tape even that Pro edition would need.
AVLinux: Saffire Pro 40.
Win8.1: BIAB2021 UltraPAK, Scarlett 8i6.

#675412 - 09/29/21 01:49 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT [Re: bloc-head]
Loc: United States
Sironedragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: United States
COOL MUSIC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Enhance Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Installation

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows users - update for FREE today!

We've added a new "record using" option within the Audio Settings dialog, and updated many existing features based on user feedback.

This free update also includes the most recent build of our DAW Plugin (3.9.12).

Learn more about this free update and download it today.

Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Band-in-a-Box® File Associations

You may have noticed when you were installing Band-in-a-Box® for Windows that you were asked if you would like to Associate Band-in-a-Box songs and styles with Band-in-a-Box? But, what does that mean?

It's actually pretty simple - basically, if you select this option while you're installing the program, files with the extensions .SGU, .MGU, and other Band-in-a-Box files will open directly in the program if you select them from outside the program.

Missed this option during your setup, but you'd like to apply it now? Go to File | File Utilities | Associate File types with Explorer within the program.

New Update for RealBand 2021 Available!

Do you use RealBand (included in all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases)? Download the latest free update, which resolves a small viewing issue for Windows 11 users.

When you download the latest update for RealBand 2021, it will add all the updates we've made this year. See the full list here.

Ear Training Games in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

October 1, 2021 is National Kids Music Day!

Head to the Practice Window in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, and you'll see fun games that are fun ear training options for kids: Music Replay & Pitch Invasion.

Of course, you don't have to be a kid to like these games, I think there a fun way to learn at any age!

Music Replay is just what it sounds like - the program plays a 1-bar melody, and the user plays it back. Get it right, and you'll keep building that melody (and skill) within the game - get it wrong, and you'll be met with a warning tone and have to try again... it's quite addictive, and a lot of fun!

If you like a classic arcade game, then you'll love Pitch Invasion! We've managed to incorporate aliens with pitch-recognition skills in this exciting game, where you'll match the pitch of the alien ship descending towards your planet trying to destroy your collection of instruments - match the pitch and you've saved your instruments, make a mistake and the ship keeps coming... you'll have a few tries to get it right, if you're quick, but if all your instruments are destroyed - it's game over! The game speeds up as your skills improve, and you'll earn points along the way, with bonus points available throughout the game.

Open up your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows today to give it a try!

These ear training games are also included in Musical Arcade for Windows.

How to Make Backing Tracks with Band-in-a-Box®, by Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Nick Kellie recently got his hands on the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac, and put together this video showing off just how easy it is to make backing tracks in Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box Demo - How to make backing tracks

The Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Works Great in Windows® 11!

Simon did it again - another test in Windows 11! See how well the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin works with Windows® 11 in his latest video: The Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Works Great in Windows® 11!

Forum Stats
34989 Members
66 Forums
71233 Topics
617670 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Zandormaz, L.René, Bluest Blues, dautfred, mercabusca

34989 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
swingbabymix 315
Pipeline 291