Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
RE. george bensons version of "on broadway"
ive always loved the above tasty version, and for my own fun ive wanted to do my own version.
"but" had great difficulty finding a suitable biab style to use. (yes ive spent ages going through the stylepicker many times in my ultrapak.).
possibly the problem is its very syncopated..thats why i like it.(or i'm stupid.)
its a v slick beat. straight ahead styles just don t work.
dont have the "feel".
HAVE I MISSED A STYLE ? ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS ?
maybe the biab style just dont exist.
any help gratefully received.
best
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Did you enter the song name into the search?

If that didn’t help, I suggest searching on nortonmusic.com

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Did you enter the song name into the search?

If that didn’t help, I suggest searching on nortonmusic.com

I had tried entering the song name in the Styles Search. It came up with a version by the Drifters.
I didn't think it was close to the Benson version, so I didn't make any recommendations.

I did find _CABNJAM, which was at least close (?)

However, yes, try Norton Music. Perhaps?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
Hello justanoldmuso,
I think the George Benson song is characterized by the arrangement. If you set the chords as shots in Band in a Box (with the drums running through) you can get pretty close to the original with different styles.
Just Enter F..d for the first chord and ^Eb/F..d for the second and so on. the added "..d" instruct band in a Box to play shots and let the drum roll on. The preceding "^" pushes the second chord by an eighth. I have implemented this example with the _FAST_EP.STY and it sounds quite suitable. You may find some other even styles more suitable: _SCRAMBLE.STY, _HELLA.STY ...

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
On_Broadway.png (113.73 KB, 204 downloads)

Biab/RB latest build, German Language Pak, Win 10/64 Pro, 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM. Notation SW Finale, StaffPad, SmartsScore – Playing Double Bass, Guitar, Piano
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Brille.

thanks for the graphic. much appreciated. kudos.

ive tried on broadway several times over the years experimenting in biab with various combos of pushes etc etc, and other tricks, and got close but not quite there... but not that one of yours.
i'll give it another go. great !

btw...could you clarify...my version here starts off in A flat. am i missing something ?
so i checked on you tube, mostly A flat, occasionally live bway is pushed up a tone.
the joy of the song is the syncopation of course. very catchy.
i'm looking at doing an acapella voc style with simple backing.
for fun.
best
om

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Brille
the added "..d" instruct band in a Box to play shots and let the drum roll on. The preceding "^" pushes the second chord by an eighth.

Well done Brille... your example works great for the feel...
I'd leave off the [/] on the 2nd chord and allow the bass to follow the chord down a step...

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Expert
Expert
Also on the 2 key changes, I'd probably just open 3 discrete Biab sessions in the 3 different Keys, and then export eveything into my DAW..
I may try that later...

Last edited by bloc-head; 09/20/21 08:54 AM. Reason: added text

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Brille and bloc head.

THANK YOU BOTH. BRILLIANT !

i now have the feel ive been yearning for, for ages.
stupid me that i didnt see it.

but i dont have styles _FAST or _SCRAMBLE or _HELLA.
i have ultrapak 2020. are these styles on add on packs i dont have ?

you have no idea how helpful you both have been...kudos to you....and bestest of wishes.
om
ps blochead , yes for different keys i do the same trick often.
but so far i can do it in one bb display....
copying and transposing the parts.
also leaving out the slash works.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Brille and bloc head.

THANK YOU BOTH. BRILLIANT !

i now have the feel ive been yearning for, for ages.
stupid me that i didnt see it.

you have no idea how helpful you both have been...kudos to you....and bestest of wishes.
om
ps blochead , yes for different keys i do the same trick often.
but so far i can do it in one bb display....
copying and transposing the parts.
also leaving out the slash works.

Thanks OM,
Also on the last chord after the walk up to the [V], before starting over, make that a hold (except for the drums) [^V...d] To me, it sounds better as a hold (instead of a shot) on the last (5) chord.
I hope that makes sense...

Last edited by bloc-head; 09/20/21 10:03 AM. Reason: added text

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso

_Hella is from RealTracks Set 367, released with 2021

The others are available in the Xtra Styles PAKs https://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win
(6 & 8 respectively, I believe).

Callie
Marketing Representative
PG Music Inc.
Expert
Expert
justanoldmuso,
You may try my version "Auf dem Kudamm", I just created (you have to rename file type .txt to .SGU). You could do without the slash notes (/F). You can also change (all or some) last shots in any bar to "holds" – it's all a matter of taste. The song uses realstyle _M16SPNO.STY which was contained in BiaB 2020 Ultrapak, as far as I know, but you may try other ones like the nice _HELLA.STY contained in BiaB 2021 Ultrapak (its always a good idea to upgrade ;-)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Auf dem Kudamm.txt (31.15 KB, 11 downloads)

Biab/RB latest build, German Language Pak, Win 10/64 Pro, 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM. Notation SW Finale, StaffPad, SmartsScore – Playing Double Bass, Guitar, Piano
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Callie, is PG Music considering developing a more native style that might sit the O/P's request?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
here's my take on the song.
a different style might work better...

On Broadway.txt (32.95 KB, 17 downloads)

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Brille...
your a peach for that file,....
actually i had already done an arrange, but now looking
at your file, its helped to amend my own.
great stuff/kudos brille.
every happiness to you.

what i do now is take the arrange and go thru every single style to see what golden nuggets of sound i can extract and futz with/editing/realigning in reaps.
i'm al;ways looking for sound picture nuggets.

Blochead.
yep i was also doing tests useing holds in various places. i'm always experimenting.

once again thanks for both your help
om

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bloc-head

Actually, not bad at all smile

I changed the file extension to .mgu and un-muted everything and removed the solo on the Strings track and frankly, it's really good. Great effort.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
oops just noticed bloc heads file.
will download ...and try it.
cheers
om

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Actually, not bad at all smile

I changed the file extension to .mgu and un-muted everything and removed the solo on the Strings track and frankly, it's really good. Great effort.

Thanks VT... That's the 1st time I've attached a song file to a post on this forum, by renameing the filetype to .txt
Is there a better way to do this, so that the person downloading the file can read the song name after it's downloaded?

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
bloc-head.
i got your file.
well done.

frankly i think this song illustrates why flexible slides
per my wish in biab's wish list (see pipelines beauty graphic bars view -@old musos bars view) would be more flexible than fixed push amounts. its this type of syncopation where slideing chords by a certain amount plus or minus to create feel would work nicely.
like i used to employ slides in powertraks years ago.

bh. once again thanks to both you and brille.
what i do ios in reaps, slide the sound nugget clips derived from biab around cos sometimes the pushes are too fixed.

best
old sliding downhill skier muso...lol.

Expert
Expert
"flexible slides" sounds like a great idea to me, especially if you could employ them on individual drum hits for that "in-the-pocket" feel

I will probably record my own guitar solo on this song, but if I wanted to add a "real track" solo, would I have to remove all of the {pushes, shots & holds} in that section of the arrangement?

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

Thanks VT... That's the 1st time I've attached a song file to a post on this forum, by renameing the filetype to .txt
Is there a better way to do this, so that the person downloading the file can read the song name after it's downloaded?

The way you attached was fine.
You could also name the file 18328.mgu.txt and then people would just know the remove the '.txt' characters after downloading.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,564
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200