Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#673591 09/18/21 04:03 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I recently bought a line6 Helix and a Variax to go with it, and I must say, I am very impressed.

I play cover songs, and my approach is to duplicate the original sound as much as possible. In the past, that frequently meant owning a ton of different amps, guitars and effects pedals, because each piece of gear has its own signature sound... and in order to get the same sound as the original recording, you need the same gear that was used on it.

The Helix has EVERYTHING... amp models, cabinet models, clones of all the classic pedals... and you can arrange them in any order. The best part for me is that its all MIDI controllable. By embedding MIDI commands in my sequence, I can change settings on the fly without having to shift my focus from playing to stomping on a pedal.

The Variax is an interesting guitar... it too is programmable. It has built-in models for a Strat, two Les Pauls, a Rickenbacker 12 string, an Epiphone Jazz box, several acoustics and a variety of other guitars and stringed instruments. You can even program different tunings, such as open G, DADGAD , virtual capo settings, or you can even create your own tuning and recall it later in a song. MIDI can change the guitar from a 12 string to a Les Paul in mid song, just mind-blowing what this combo can do. You can go from a realistic Beatles sound to Tom Petty to Led Zeppelin... and absolutely nail the original sound. Without ever touching a knob during the performance (assuming you get it all nailed down when you create your patches)

In a world that is more and more focused on streaming online, the ability to program a set list so you can go seamlessly from one song to the next without having to manually change any settings is priceless. One pause and the click-through rate starts to skyrocket.

And the best part is that the modeling is latency free as far as I can tell. The DSP processing in these units is very powerful. I could go on and on... But I just wanted to offer a heads up to anybody who might be looking for the features this provides.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I have a room in my studio, full of vintage tweed & blackface Fender amps, but they're all too heavy and valuable to gig with, so I looked into the Line 6, and some others, but settled on the $198 Fender Champion-40 with Digital Voice Models, FX, and Channel Switching... it has a 12" speaker, and weighs less than 20 lbs... It's crazy... I love it...

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
GREEN with envy!! I have wanted a Variax forever! I have played with one and loved the possibilities. To dial in and change to drop D or open E tuning... and to electronically capo...

Is your an old original or a newer James Tyler model? The JTs seem to have better electronics. Which of course means a higher price. The older ones, back like version 3, were badly affected by humidity. My friend used one up here and when he went to Florida all of a sudden 2 or 3 strings would stop responding. He tried everything. Sealing the body cavity better. Putting desiccant packets in the body cavity. Nothing helped. He had about 4 new logic boards put in over a few years. But then he got the JT and it has been flawless for like 6 years now.

And now you have one!!! AND a Helix!! Waiting for a demo!

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/18/21 05:54 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

I have a Fender Super Champ XD that serves the same purpose for me--just recording, and it is a BEAST. It combines the best of tubes and digital modeling.

I can't remember the last time I touched my Twin for recording.

Mic-ed up it does anything.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

I have the acoustic Variax and it is kinda cool, but the tones are a little too brittle for me, so I have to say I have not used it on finished product yet that much.

It is super fun to play around with though.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I had a Variax, but since I pretty much only play acoustic, I never really found the need to use it.

I ended up selling it to a friend who did gigs with his electric. He loved it, because it meant he didn't have to have to haul a bunch of gear around to get the sounds he needed for the songs.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
The Variax and Helix is such a great combo. You don't have to carry a load of stuff and can get a phenomenal number of sounds. Not infinite but it feels like it.

Last edited by etcjoe; 09/18/21 06:53 AM.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, I have to say I sorta take my comment back.

This thread caused me to plug it back in and experiment.

I had forgotten how cool it is, if you use the right effects, compression, reverb, etc.

I would not use it as the main upfront acoustic because of the way I play--I like a lot of instantaneous control and wide, varied string response because I pick with my fingers. I also like the main acoustic to "breathe."

BUT, for other tracks mixed down a little lower there some really neat things you can do with the Variax, especially percussive things, that you will not get with a normal acoustic.

Have fun with your model Pat.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I had a Variax, but since I pretty much only play acoustic, I never really found the need to use it.

I ended up selling it to a friend who did gigs with his electric. He loved it, because it meant he didn't have to have to haul a bunch of gear around to get the sounds he needed for the songs.

yes, that's EXACTLY what I love about the combo. Those two items replace a whole room full of amps, pedals and guitars (at least for MY purposes, which are pretty trival. I'm a hobbyist who makes no claims about having the talent to justify a need for really great gear.

My goal is to get as close to the original sound on every classic rock song ever recorded as I can afford, and I think I can start selling most of my other gear collection now.

Speaking of which, it would be kind of cool if the forum here had a dedicated thread for selling gear.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: etcjoe
The Variax and Helix is such a great combo. You don't have to carry a load of stuff and can get a phenomenal number of sounds. Not infinite but it feels like it.

The combo enables more possibilities than I will ever explore in my lifetime.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Yeah, I have to say I sorta take my comment back.

This thread caused me to plug it back in and experiment.

I had forgotten how cool it is, if you use the right effects, compression, reverb, etc.

I would not use it as the main upfront acoustic because of the way I play--I like a lot of instantaneous control and wide, varied string response because I pick with my fingers. I also like the main acoustic to "breathe."

BUT, for other tracks mixed down a little lower there some really neat things you can do with the Variax, especially percussive things, that you will not get with a normal acoustic.

Have fun with your model Pat.

I totally agree David. If you have the real thing, you don't need a model of the real thing.

And if your application is in a studio where there is no time constraint to change from one instrument to another that is the right instrument for the next track... that's a no brainer. You're doing it right.

My situation is always a live performance where I can't stop, switch guitars from an electric to an acoustic (even though the instrumental part in the song requires it)... so I have to fudge a bit. At the end of the day, modelling is best suited to live performances, and the advantages are:

1) not having to carry as much gear to the gig.
2) the ability to automate a lot of what you're doing
3) a much better representation of the sound you're imitating than you'd get by playing the acoustic part on an electric guitar etc

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
GREEN with envy!! I have wanted a Variax forever! I have played with one and loved the possibilities. To dial in and change to drop D or open E tuning... and to electronically capo...

Is your an old original or a newer James Tyler model? The JTs seem to have better electronics. Which of course means a higher price. The older ones, back like version 3, were badly affected by humidity. My friend used one up here and when he went to Florida all of a sudden 2 or 3 strings would stop responding. He tried everything. Sealing the body cavity better. Putting desiccant packets in the body cavity. Nothing helped. He had about 4 new logic boards put in over a few years. But then he got the JT and it has been flawless for like 6 years now.

And now you have one!!! AND a Helix!! Waiting for a demo!

Its one of the James Tyler models... a JTV-69S
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JTV69SEOW--line-6-jtv-69s-variax-olympic-white-with-ebony-fingerboard

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Growing GREENER as we speak!!!

Beautiful!

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Four guitars in one for the price of four guitars! grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat, that's a nice guitar. The thumb wheel control to select twelve alternate tunings is pretty neat. I believe the Line 6 Helix has a Variax digital cable port. The Variax port may be able to provide power to the Variax electronic circuitry. So you don't need to have a battery power pack installed in the guitar. The Variax can send a digital audio signal through the cable and an analog audio signal through the guitar plug.

One thing many people may not realize is that Yamaha bought Line 6. Yamaha has improved the Line 6 quality control.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent

Ha... that's funny...

well, I already have way too many guitars, but after some research, I may have to reconsider my "no more guitars" policy. I'm very impressed with the alt. tuning functions, and I hate dragging out my resophonics for a freeby gig...

BTW, just how heavy is your new Variax guitar? "don't want no heavy wood"...

Last edited by bloc-head; 09/18/21 03:45 PM. Reason: added text

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bloc-head

Ha... that's funny...

well, I already have way too many guitars, but after some research, I may have to reconsider my "no more guitars" policy. I'm very impressed with the alt. tuning functions, and I hate dragging out my resophonics for a freeby gig...

BTW, just how heavy is your new Variax guitar? "don't want no heavy wood"...

The variax comes in several models: One is a strat clone, one is a Les Paul Clone and they have a couple that resemble Ibanez shredder guitars. Weights (I'm guessing) are about the same as the guitars they're styled after.

One thing I didn't mention clearly: the Variax is powerful by itself, but all of its capabilities are accessed manually (ie. by turning knobs) if you are using it with a regular amp.

In order to access the programmability, the variax needs to be coupled with a Helix. I never intended to buy a Variax.. I already have plenty of guitars. But when I realized that all the features of a variax are MIDI controllable once you pair it with a Helix, I had to go that extra step. For what I do, its a natural progression.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Yeah, that is a common observation. The Variax isn't for everybody.

Most people would be better off spending their money on a vintage guitar that will grow in value. Tech toys don't grow in value, because technology quickly becomes obsolete, and demand for the product diminishes.

I'm at a stage in life where *I* am also becoming obsolete, so the window of usefulness for a tech toy is approximately the same as my window of life expectancy. I'm willing to pay a premium price for a tool that checks all the boxes for what I want to do on stage. At this point in life all my decisions are driven by the goal of keeping me interested. Once the interest in being alive goes away, its all downhill after that.

And regarding the very clever line "4 guitars in one for the price of 4 guitars"...
there are many more than 4 guitar models in the Variax. The guitar also comes with software that lets you create your own guitar model by changing the pickup locations and a variety of other variables that define a guitar's signature sound. So theoretically, the Variax replicates an infinite number of guitars.

That and the ability to change tunings on the fly AND do it all programmatically... that gets my interest.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Its really hard to articulate all the features of the Helix-Variax combo, because the list is huge. For anyone who might be interested in knowing more, go to YouTube and query the phrase LINE 6 HELIX or USING A VARIAX WITH A HELIX

You'll get enough hits to keep you watching for days.

In a nutshell, its like owning every guitar and every amp and every effects pedal ever made. Imagine the possibilities.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Pat, that's a nice guitar. The thumb wheel control to select twelve alternate tunings is pretty neat. I believe the Line 6 Helix has a Variax digital cable port. The Variax port may be able to provide power to the Variax electronic circuitry. So you don't need to have a battery power pack installed in the guitar. The Variax can send a digital audio signal through the cable and an analog audio signal through the guitar plug.

One thing many people may not realize is that Yamaha bought Line 6. Yamaha has improved the Line 6 quality control.

Thanks for weighing in Jim. As an engineer, you always have interesting observations to make.

On the Line6 user forum, a lot of long standing users have commented on the favorable change in quality since Yamaha took over. I'm a big fan of Yamaha products. My last gear acquisition before buying the Helix was a Yamaha acoustic (AC5R), which I researched a lot before buying an acoustic. I love it. The electronics are amazing, the Japanese workmanship is flawless, the action is as low as my electric, the acoustic tone is the best I've heard... and paired with the helix, it really delivers a nice sound. The Helix lets me combine a plugged signal and a mic signal and add separate effects to each path. Again, you can get any sound you want.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,009
Members38,513
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186