Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The thing I have always liked best about them is the user programmability. The ability to hold one guitar and with the turn of a knob tune down a half step, moved to open E, open G or dropped D tuning alone would make it worth my while. Especially to switch to and from slide guitar tuning. When you get into the timbres it's beyond remarkable how much they do. From 50s Les Paul to 60s Strat to Martin acoustic to 12 string... I saw a guy once doing a solo with a Variax, a looper, and a drum machine. A blind man would not have known it was not a whole band.

But Pat makes the most cogent point of all by bringing age and end of life concerns into the equation. He has chose to spend some money to own things he enjoys rather than worry abut an ever expiring future. I can't tell you how many people live a contradictory life where in one sentence they want to push every dollar into paying off their mortgage "So I can retire" and then never retire. I love and appreciate having good credit and not a lot of debt, but I will soon hit that threshold where I say "Screw the credit", run my credit cards to the max buying toys I want to enjoy, and wish the creditors well when they try to sue a dead man to recover the debt. That "richest corpse in the graveyard" mentality is just baffling to me. But I understand it from this aspect. Most of us in a certain age group are children of parent from the depression. We were taught that money is the way to keep score. And people work themselves into a stress induced stroke by age 60 trying to squeeze that last dollar out of the consumers. Just consider how it was some strange badge of courage for parents in the 60s to brag that they put their kids through college, because at that time, again based on THEIR history where college was for the elite and affluent, that made them somehow feel like they succeeded. Well, with the changing times came the changing mores. Everybody goes to college now. Most end up back in their parent's basement because they chose some obscure major that doesn't relate to the 2020s workforce. Nobody wins that scenario but the college that took $200,000 from the student (loans), and you have a 22 year old kid starting life in massive debt for an education that is meaningless in this world.

My own different drummer beats outa pattern of "Earn it, spend it, and don't worry about a tomorrow that never comes." Now, for perspective... I have always marched to my own beat. It has not always worked out, but I am what I am and would not change for anything. I am 70 and I don't even HAVE a savings account. I don't need one. Every month, you wonderful taxpayers give me enough money to pay my bills (by way of Social Security and disability) and have plenty of toy money left over. It is stable, it can never stop, and I have no threat of a medical event taking my money due to the VA taking care of veterans. So my situation is specific to me, though I won't say unique as there are a lot of me. I had a guy do some handyman work for me. At the time he was 69 (I was 65) and he said he was going to work until he had 1 million in the bank due to his all-consuming fear of a medical event that could wipe him out. He was heavily invested in order to speed up that process. I once asked him "What happens if your investments crash and burn? Then you love what you have invested. Does that mean you will NEVER retire? And what if you DO hit that million dollar goal and then NOT have that medical even that you worry so much about? You then die and leave one million bucks for the state to absorb into the state troth? And give it away to welfare people? Who wins then? Wouldn't it be a better plan to stop drinking yourself into a coma every day, to quit smoking, and improve the odds of that medical event never happening? Wouldn't that work too?

So Patrick Marr, you enjoy those new toys my friend. You worked long and hard through your life to have the stuff around you that makes you feel good! We truly have no future. We have a series of "presents", so you enjoy those new presents you bought yourself to enjoy your present!!

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

In a nutshell, its like owning every guitar and every amp and every effects pedal ever made. Imagine the possibilities.

I get your point...
I already have almost all that (except the banjo, I threw that down in a well) in my Home Studio... but to have "virtually" all that at a live performance, would be way cool.
I just don't know if I have enough live gigs left in me, to make the jump.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
The thing I have always liked best about them is the user programmability. The ability to hold one guitar and with the turn of a knob tune down a half step, moved to open E, open G or dropped D tuning alone would make it worth my while. Especially to switch to and from slide guitar tuning. When you get into the timbres it's beyond remarkable how much they do. From 50s Les Paul to 60s Strat to Martin acoustic to 12 string... I saw a guy once doing a solo with a Variax, a looper, and a drum machine. A blind man would not have known it was not a whole band.

But Pat makes the most cogent point of all by bringing age and end of life concerns into the equation. He has chose to spend some money to own things he enjoys rather than worry abut an ever expiring future. I can't tell you how many people live a contradictory life where in one sentence they want to push every dollar into paying off their mortgage "So I can retire" and then never retire. I love and appreciate having good credit and not a lot of debt, but I will soon hit that threshold where I say "Screw the credit", run my credit cards to the max buying toys I want to enjoy, and wish the creditors well when they try to sue a dead man to recover the debt. That "richest corpse in the graveyard" mentality is just baffling to me. But I understand it from this aspect. Most of us in a certain age group are children of parent from the depression. We were taught that money is the way to keep score. And people work themselves into a stress induced stroke by age 60 trying to squeeze that last dollar out of the consumers. Just consider how it was some strange badge of courage for parents in the 60s to brag that they put their kids through college, because at that time, again based on THEIR history where college was for the elite and affluent, that made them somehow feel like they succeeded. Well, with the changing times came the changing mores. Everybody goes to college now. Most end up back in their parent's basement because they chose some obscure major that doesn't relate to the 2020s workforce. Nobody wins that scenario but the college that took $200,000 from the student (loans), and you have a 22 year old kid starting life in massive debt for an education that is meaningless in this world.

My own different drummer beats outa pattern of "Earn it, spend it, and don't worry about a tomorrow that never comes." Now, for perspective... I have always marched to my own beat. It has not always worked out, but I am what I am and would not change for anything. I am 70 and I don't even HAVE a savings account. I don't need one. Every month, you wonderful taxpayers give me enough money to pay my bills (by way of Social Security and disability) and have plenty of toy money left over. It is stable, it can never stop, and I have no threat of a medical event taking my money due to the VA taking care of veterans. So my situation is specific to me, though I won't say unique as there are a lot of me. I had a guy do some handyman work for me. At the time he was 69 (I was 65) and he said he was going to work until he had 1 million in the bank due to his all-consuming fear of a medical event that could wipe him out. He was heavily invested in order to speed up that process. I once asked him "What happens if your investments crash and burn? Then you love what you have invested. Does that mean you will NEVER retire? And what if you DO hit that million dollar goal and then NOT have that medical even that you worry so much about? You then die and leave one million bucks for the state to absorb into the state troth? And give it away to welfare people? Who wins then? Wouldn't it be a better plan to stop drinking yourself into a coma every day, to quit smoking, and improve the odds of that medical event never happening? Wouldn't that work too?

So Patrick Marr, you enjoy those new toys my friend. You worked long and hard through your life to have the stuff around you that makes you feel good! We truly have no future. We have a series of "presents", so you enjoy those new presents you bought yourself to enjoy your present!!
Please stop making sense...

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

In a nutshell, its like owning every guitar and every amp and every effects pedal ever made. Imagine the possibilities.

I get your point...
I already have almost all that (except the banjo, I threw that down in a well) in my Home Studio... but to have "virtually" all that at a live performance, would be way cool.
I just don't know if I have enough live gigs left in me, to make the jump.

I totally get that. When I retired, my goal was to gig again, because I stopped when I got married and I thought I could pick up where I left off. Apparently times have changed. Didn't take me long to realize gigging live is hard work. Especially the part about moving gear.

That's where online streaming got interesting. There are a LOT of ways to stream music live, and you can actually earn money that way. Twitch, Facebook, StreetJelly.com, Stageit.com and many more similar sites let you turn on the PC and webcam and start playing music to the world. Danny Campo and I are both on Streetjelly, and some other BIAB forum people have also given it a whirl.

I don't need the money. Like Eddie said, my bank account automatically recharges once a month whether I need it or not. But I like the fact that I can keep all my gear set up and stream on a moment's notice.

A lot of people on these sites are amateurs, but that makes the seasoned players stand out. I figure most of the people here on the BIAB forum have been playing for years and have some chops.

If you love to play but you hate to schlep gear around, maybe online streaming is the right idea for this time of life. I'd love to see you on Streetjelly. And you can do that without spending a dime. You already have a ton of gear! (you might have to buy a web cam if you don't already have one)

My nick on Streetjelly is "Classy Croc" (pronounced like "classic rock") if you see me there, let me know you're from the BIAB forum

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Eddie, I like the way you think. We're on the same page about how to continue having fun while growing old.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjBvRURtc-Q

/relevant in a musical way smile
//sorry if I just wasted an hour and a half of your life, but I don't think that will be the case
///I bought the DVD twice; the extras make it worth it, like seeing the storyboard for the show, this show is planned from start to finish, like a lot of other top notch performers of the time

If you make it to the hour mark, the theatrics (lighting, costume, performance) become really original for the time

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjBvRURtc-Q

/relevant in a musical way smile
//sorry if I just wasted an hour and a half of your life, but I don't think that will be the case
///I bought the DVD twice; the extras make it worth it, like seeing the storyboard for the show, this show is planned from start to finish, like a lot of other top notch performers of the time

If you make it to the hour mark, the theatrics (lighting, costume, performance) become really original for the time

Speaking of which, the Helix is also capable of sending MIDI commands to external devices, like DMX lighting to create specific lights shows for each song. Or, to switch an amp from clean to dirty channel... or to change patches on an external midi controllable pedal, such as a Strymon or Eventide. But you don't need either because the Helix can already do what either of those high end pedals can do.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
sorry if I just wasted an hour and a half of your life, but I don't think that will be the case

Talking Heads is one of a few bands I would do a tribute to. To put it in the time they were performing, they were WAY ahead of their time. Tina Weymouth is one fine bass player!

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
yep, no doubt...

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I've been wanting a Variax for quite a long time, not so much for live performance, but for the infinite sonic possibilities with studio recordings.

This guy pushes the Variax technology to the limits, and I believe he's been awarded with a world record of tuning changes in one song! Even if you're not a fan of this style of music, I think this demo will show you just how much is possible.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
This guy pushes the Variax technology to the limits.

Nice find, I loved it.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
The price is not outrageous, i.e. 1 for the price of 4. Pretty reasonable for a nice guitar. Yes, the Variax cable from the Helix will power the guitar send all the programming and sound from the digital side as well as from the pickups if you turn off the Variax modelling. Yamaha makes the guitar quite nice and the Non Variax sound from my model sounds good as well. The wide range of sound is well worth it to me. Especially in a live setting. Works great in the studio as well.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
I've been wanting a Variax for quite a long time, not so much for live performance, but for the infinite sonic possibilities with studio recordings.

This guy pushes the Variax technology to the limits, and I believe he's been awarded with a world record of tuning changes in one song! Even if you're not a fan of this style of music, I think this demo will show you just how much is possible.

I think the beauty of the Helix and the Variax is using the pedal, switching tones and switching guitars and tuning with every button. You can have set lists all made up with every sound imaginable all controlled by the pedal board, so you never have to change guitars, or amp settings etc. you can assign the volume pedal to anything for each patch, you can add 2 more volume pedals (or controllers really) and assign each one to something you want to vary (delay, volume, distortion, chorus, flange, phase, you name it) Each patch on the Helix can have an assigned Variax model and custom controllable aspects.

Very intuitive and quite easy to do either on the Helix with controls there or using their software to make the patches and save them to the unit.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
great video to illustrate some of what's possible when you combine a Helix with a Variax.

I liked what he said about the complex things people do in the controlled studio environment, which may sometimes be difficult to reproduce on stage. The programmability and flexibility of this system pretty much makes ANYTHING possible on stage.

I am also reminded of the complex pedal setups artists like Eric Johnson have, which enable him to switch between dirty and clean amps and entirely different lead and rhythm guitar sounds. But his pedal board produces approximately the same 2 sounds on all of his songs. The helix/variax can give its owner the same kind of flexibility, but with the added benefit of making the lead and rhythm sounds almost infinitely variable.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What do the native sounds in the Variax sound like? Our guy used the 12 string a lot and the old Les Paul. He HAD the Helix but he didn't always have it engaged.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I found his explanation of the advantages of the longer scale length interesting, but could have used much more depth...Afer all the hype, I was disappointed in the video... I do see great potential in the Variax... I'd love to know more about the tuning, and pitch shifting/correction, how well does this work if the strings are slightly out of tune?? I also wish he had left off the fuzz, and demonstrated more of the tonal qualities of the different guitar models... I'm sure there are a lot better videos online... I'll be checking them out soon.

Looking forward to hearing what you do with it Pat.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I found his explanation of the advantages of the longer scale length interesting, but could have used much more depth...Afer all the hype, I was disappointed in the video... I do see great potential in the Variax... I'd love to know more about the tuning, and pitch shifting/correction, how well does this work if the strings are slightly out of tune?? I also wish he had left off the fuzz, and demonstrated more of the tonal qualities of the different guitar models... I'm sure there are a lot better videos online... I'll be checking them out soon.

Looking forward to hearing what you do with it Pat.

If the guitar is out of tune and you change the tuning using the knob to say 1/2 step down which is one of the options, it will still be out of tune but a 1/2 step lower. The Tunings are changed digitally of course but the change is done to the signal created from the strings and "pickup" in the bridge so they need to be in standard tuning to begin with. I have no idea about any pitch correction. As far as I know it does not do that but I could just be ignorant.

As to the native sound, mine is the sort of strat copy/body and you get a similar strat sound using just the normal magnetic pickups. since there are varying body styles and pickup combinations available, the only real way to find out is to play them.

The modelled sounds are all quite good. I am not too fond of the 12 string stuff on its own but in a mix it sounds fantastic. The Les Paul, Strat, Tele sounds are all good. The hollowbody stuff is good as well. There is a 335, Gretsch, Good resonator stuff and even a Sitar. The jazz guitars are modelled nicely too. Really good overall, in my opinion.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a first generation Variax 300 electric. There is also a first generation Variax 300 acoustic. The two modeling guitars have different guitar models installed.

All the first generation modeling algorithms are based on a standard guitar tuning. If the guitar is out of tune, the output will be out of tune. If you tune down half a step all the output will be down half a step.

The James Tyler Variax uses second generation hardware with more on board memory and a faster cpu compared to the first generation. The modeling algorithms were updated to take advantage of the hardware advances. It will be interesting to follow Pat's journey to see if the enhanced algorithms essentially follow the same tuning rules.

Pat, does your guitar have a tremolo (whammy) bar? If so, how accurately do the models follow the pitch shift versus how it sound with the pickups?

Second question, can you blend the sound of the pickups with a modeled output?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I have a first generation Variax 300 electric. There is also a first generation Variax 300 acoustic. The two modeling guitars have different guitar models installed.

All the first generation modeling algorithms are based on a standard guitar tuning. If the guitar is out of tune, the output will be out of tune. If you tune down half a step all the output will be down half a step.

The James Tyler Variax uses second generation hardware with more on board memory and a faster cpu compared to the first generation. The modeling algorithms were updated to take advantage of the hardware advances. It will be interesting to follow Pat's journey to see if the enhanced algorithms essentially follow the same tuning rules.

Pat, does your guitar have a tremolo (whammy) bar? If so, how accurately do the models follow the pitch shift versus how it sound with the pickups?

Second question, can you blend the sound of the pickups with a modeled output?

Hey Jim! Thanks again for weighing in!

After my experience with a Roland guitar synth, where glitches, latency and artifacts are all to be expected, I'm quite impressed with the realistic quality of the Variax modeling. I think its better than the Roland COSM modelling, which is also quite good. I can't differentiate between the Variax models and the real thing.

Yes, it does have a whammy bar, and it sounds just as it would on any Strat.

Yes, it is possible to combine the magnetic pickups with the modeled sound, but that is handled by the Helix. You have two separate paths in the Helix, each with a selectable input. Input on the first track can be VARIAX MODEL while input on the second path can be VARIAX MAGNETIC. To the best of my knowledge there is no way to use both sounds simultaneously with the Variax by itself.

Since you're right here in town, you're welcome to come over and play with it. You can PM me for my address. Or not. If you're as busy as I think you probably are, then you might not have time

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
What do the native sounds in the Variax sound like? Our guy used the 12 string a lot and the old Les Paul. He HAD the Helix but he didn't always have it engaged.

I guess the realistic answer, (without trying to make it sound like the Helix/Variax combo is the greatest thing since sliced bread)is to say that modeling provides a convincing representation of a guitar that was modeled under specific settings. If you have ever used Impulse Responses, you have noticed that a typical set of IRs will include a LOT of different files with slight differences in one setting. Differences in mic distance from the speaker cabinet, or mic used for an acoustic guitar. That is a limitation of modeling.

A good amp with a good guitar gives your guitar player all the flexibility he needs to extract the full spectrum of sounds out of his gear, and that's probably why he doesn't always use the Helix. Given enough time to tweak parameters by trial and error, it might be possible to get the same sound out of the Helix, but your guitar player probably has an understanding of his gear that lets him get from idea to tone with a lot less effort.

But I'm not a pro by any means. For me, it's way better than anything else I've ever used to duplicate sounds on the songs I'm trying to replicate.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,448
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195