Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I watched a really interested video clip from the Explained series that goes over Music that actually, in the opening, explains that at a certain point that repetition -- even in nature -- starts to sound like music to us after a while. I think that grabbing audio samples or getting inspired by what we heard in the world around us is a very worthwhile experiment. Thanks for sharing!

Got link?

I keep thinking of Bernie Krause, the old Weavers / Moog-in-the-60s guy who became devoted to recording and integrating natural sound into music. He can explain how an entire ecosystem of audible creatures will negotiate for bandwidth, so that one species won't drown out another speaking in the same band, and then perform like an orchestra. It's like a native combination of composition theory and compression algorithms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Krause

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hans, I appreciate your criticism about the piece being too short. I think that's actually for two reasons.

#1 is that this is pretty "dense" stuff, and a little goes a long way; I could keep doing what I do to come up with more minutes of material, but I don't know how much more of this even I would want to listen to! Sometimes I make things like this that are even shorter, "miniatures", because what happens within the first few seconds is about all there is to them – a particular concept implemented with some interesting results. Which isn't to say that a skilled composer couldn't take off and produce a more extended work, spinning off from this material. But I don't really possess those skills, myself.

#2 is that I don't want to impose on my potential listeners! I figure if you can see up front that a piece is only 1:18, you might be more inclined to give it a shot and maybe even stick with it to the end.

Regarding Satie, yes yes yes, I get the connection. I wish I could do that.

Listening to "Gnossiennes" right now, and my train of thought is drifting.

Do you know that Brian Eno composed the Windows 95 startup music?

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Haha. Forked off in 2 different directions. hehe. Man, I like your style and creativity, Mark, but you were wrong about the 1:15 of my life. I went on to Roosterramma then came back to this one again a couple times. Time well spent. I remember seeing Frank Zappa on TV in the 50s playing the bicycle with drum sticks.

Babu, thanks again for commenting, for allowing my music to inspire any association with the music of Frank Zappa, and for mentioning that wonderful TV video. I am very very honored by this particular connection. If I think of myself in terms of any single musician, I think of myself as a very, very, very inferior Frank Zappa.

I do this thing with chicken sounds (and natural sounds in general) as kind of an experiment, and I offer the output as the results of an experiment, and perhaps an engaging novelty. That way, if it's awful I can say, “Well, it was just an experiment!” and if it's at all listenable I can say, “How about that, some of this actually sounds like music!”

But underneath, I’m pretty serious. I get all conceptual and philosophical.

Whenever I come up with something like this that sounds at all interesting or maybe even good (!!) I find myself wondering if I am, with this simple approach of computerized pitch-recognition, unearthing actual latent musical qualities in the source material. Like: I’m expertly using Logic Pro as a tool to bring humanly inaudible chicken music to the surface. I’m tweaking things, for sure, but is there something there to start out with? Or am I “discovering” the chicken song in the way that a sculptor “discovers” the statue within the block of marble, which is to say, not really at all?

When I listen to the very audible mood changes in “Look What” I really do wonder where this stuff is coming from. I didn’t do it, the chickens certainly didn’t do it like THAT, and the human musicians playing didn’t do it. I guess the musicality there is most likely an emanation from the mind of the BIAB programmers behind the algorithms. But I really would like to give as much credit as possible to the chickens.

Again, the Ladies and Gentlemen of the Owen Farm chickenhouse thank you for your attention.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Stranger things have happened.

Well, maybe not smile

Far out bebop jazz in a barnyard!

Experimentally cool....

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
bebop jazz in a barnyard!

I was going to say "BJIAB", then I thought, oh, maybe don't say that. =8^)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Oh yeah! That was cool, and I loved it. Unusual, yes, but still pleasing. Very clever.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Roosters.... you want roosters? I have 3 adults and a number of adolescent males.... The adults start out at 4:30ish in the morning.... announcing that shortly, the sun will be coming up.

That second one.... the real roosters.... that was the perfect soundtrack to the scene in a movie where the mentally disturbed individual is having a conversation with himself.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Oh yeah! That was cool, and I loved it. Unusual, yes, but still pleasing. Very clever.

Thanks! I have a link to a website with elephants, and vague plans to do them next.

Right now I'm just thinking "Look What I Found In The Elephant" and seeing a guy standing in back of an elephant, in a pile of elephant poop, holding up a gold watch.

He looks like... Jackie Gleason.

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
That second one.... the real roosters.... that was the perfect soundtrack to the scene in a movie where the mentally disturbed individual is having a conversation with himself.

Interesting. I heard more menace in the instrumental. Maybe the chicken vocals just sound like normal speech to me, which I should perhaps be concerned by. At least I'm not clucking to myself yet.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
laugh

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
<undeleteable>

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195