Go To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
jazzmammal #675636 09/30/21 11:57 AM
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
For me if you can't get excited about performing in front of a crowd you're in the wrong business.

Hi Bob,
If you're talking about the crowded restaurant, where the people are more interested in the menu than the set list, I've been there and done that and didn't find it at all exciting.
But laying down some Rock & Roll in front of a crowd of kids who are all dancing - now that's a real buzz....
Maybe you never got to do the restaurant?

Mark Hayes #675637 09/30/21 11:58 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
And I can imagine that being offered as a response to your questioner, one that doesn't treat her like a complete idiot for being naively enthusiastic.

I answered her honestly. Her feelings are not my concern or under my control. Nobody can make you feel bad but you.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
ROG #675653 09/30/21 01:27 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
For me if you can't get excited about performing in front of a crowd you're in the wrong business.

Hi Bob,
If you're talking about the crowded restaurant, where the people are more interested in the menu than the set list, I've been there and done that and didn't find it at all exciting.

That is exactly why we never took a class reunion gig. They could care less about music as most haven't seen each other in years and wanted to catch up.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #675659 09/30/21 01:47 PM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
after youve been thru serious surgery like i have,
i'm just glad to be around still doing my lunatic songs.

when i was in that hospital bed after surgery i must have said a million prayers to the big boss man in thanks that i recovered...and to get me back on my feet. and it worked. i'm still rocking, and after that experience i swore i would just enjoy every day, and take nothing for granted. a scary experience focuses a person on what is really important in life. for me its my wife and music.

whether pop music or any other genre, i always enjoyed the experience of the particular genre.
whether a mini opera or a cathedral or a hard rocking band, i did my best and loved it.
my motto is always think positive....and approach everything with gusto.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 09/30/21 01:51 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
HearToLearn #675677 09/30/21 04:05 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob the point is this. You are a CPA right? You do complicated taxes and all that accounting stuff.

Tell me how ridiculous it would be if you posted on Facebook and said "Tomorrow I start working for a new client that says his taxes are a mess." And 25 people replied

"YES!!!!" with thumbs up and heart emojis.

Because you are going to WORK???

Funny nobody replies that way to "Yeah I am wrapping the new car wash in aluminum this week." or "Man, I snaked out a basement drain today that was just crazy clogged with tree roots!"

Music is just like any other job. My original comment was that music is nothing magical or mystical. It's just something people can do. People who are just so mesmerized because they CAN'T do make me shake my head. Why? Because they CAN do it! Anybody can learn how to do anything if they want it bad enough. IF accounting was something I found amazing, I would go back to college and learn accounting. I'd love to know how to weld. I could go to welding school tomorrow if I wanted it bad enough. None of us came from the womb knowing how to play instruments. It's an acquired skill. You said you've been doing it since 1964. I started with music in April of 1956. Rather that stand in front of the stage making goo goo eyes and wishing, take music lessons and learn how! THAT is what I am trying to say. Every show is exactly like the last was and what the next will be. Performing our 21 song set for different nameless faces. What is there to be excited about? It's just work.

The however here is this. My life has been an exercise in trying to maintain an even keel. Not everybody is like that. I avoid high highs because they tend to lead to low lows. Think about a football team. If you go into a game SO high on emotion thinking you are invincible and you make a lot of mistakes because of it, and you get beat 56-0, what does that do to your psyche? How about the team that goes into a game understanding that there will be a winner and a loser? If they lose 56-0, well, one team had to lose. Sure it's just a defense mechanism but the idea is to protect myself from letdown. So you go out and just do your job to the best of your ability and in a businesslike manner, trust that the other band members will do the same, the people will love you and you get money for it.

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/30/21 04:09 PM.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #675688 09/30/21 06:37 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Tell me how ridiculous it would be if you posted on Facebook and said "Tomorrow I start working for a new client that says his taxes are a mess." And 25 people replied "YES!!!!" with thumbs up and heart emojis. Because you are going to WORK???

OK, I think I get this now.

You resent what you regard as inappropriate admiration because you think it denies you credit for the work you do to make the music you make.

If people type thumbs up and emojis, it means they think music is magic and you, the musician, are merely a priest privileged to be its conduit to others. It also means they think they do NOT make music only because they are NOT so privileged, not because they don't do that WORK.

If someone asks, "Are you excited?" before a show, it means they're thinking, "Are you ready to receive a gift from the universe that you will share with us?" and don't understand that good musicianship requires hard work.

Seriously. Something like that?

I recently ran into a weird personal thing with a friend who got cranky if I told her I admired her professional success in real estate. Eventually I understood that she felt my admiration meant I thought she was just "gifted" and so didn't have to work hard at it, though of course I never thought anything like that. Eventually I understood she really needed me to understand how much pain she had gone through to get where she was. What she never understood was that my admiring her success never meant thinking it was effortless.

HearToLearn #675690 09/30/21 07:05 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I only ever payed a couple of restaurant gigs
One with a keyboard friend And a couple with my lead guitarist buddy

Actually I enjoy playing mostly instrumental for a change
Kick back mostly fun for us to play a elevator music as far as the clientele was concerned and jazz of our on making

I can not say I have been smart enough to never “work” but I have not been involved in much I did not find enjoyable

I have never really been driven just by money

Someone here said that if they were independently wealthy they would play for free

Some of the most fun gigs I have played have been for free

I am also sort of like Bob and get pretty excited about a really fu n gig

I agree about having a good work ethic but I don’t agree that playing music is just another job

Music requires a lot work and skill and a large amount of art

I also required a lot of business knowledge to make any money

Well I got moved out of the ICU to a private room about midnight
I guess they assume I am getting better
This is my first real trip to the hospital for anything serious sense Vietnam
Pretty isolating due to COVID
Makes you understand a bit more clearly you will no live forever
Cheers
Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Mark Hayes #675720 10/01/21 01:13 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
You resent what you regard as inappropriate admiration because you think it denies you credit for the work you do to make the music you make.

Well, the theory is buried in there but you chose to bathe it in condescension.

I don't think I (or anybody else who is in a band) deserve any more acknowledgement than anybody else who excels in their profession. A gig is just a day at work and no big deal. There is a vast difference between support and misplaced admiration. Music is no big deal. Everything you know how to do in life beyond breathing you learned. Breathing is implicit. You just breathe, and in fact you breathe in the womb. You breathe liquid, but your lungs are functional in the womb. But you learned to walk by seeing others walk. You learned to talk by hearing others talk. Those are not implicit skills. They are acquired. Somewhat subliminal, but acquired. ANYBODY can learn to play a guitar or a piano. Now, are you going to play guitar like Steve Vai? Doubtful. Are you going to play piano like Rick Wakeman? Probably not. Should that deter you from trying? Absolutely not. Point being rather than stand on the sidelines and admire people who are doing nothing more than the job they trained to do for years, take up the same skill and strive to pass them by some day.

Denies me credit? The point is that I don't deserve credit for just doing my job. I am nothing more than 1/10th of a unit that bands together to create something.

I can't recall how many times over the years someone would come over to me on break and say something like "Man I wish I could play keyboards like you do." My answer 100% of the time was something like "You can. Music is an acquired skill like any other. I can hook you up with a good piano teacher and you can start lessons right away. In a year, you can take my place."

Also, never believe that you can see inside someone's head to know or assume to know what they think.

2. Send it to us.
HearToLearn #675734 10/01/21 02:39 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Sorry about the condescension. I did try, and I wasn't being sarcastic. I guess I'm reacting vicariously to all the contempt that I do find baffling. As might be obvious, I tend to put myself on the audience side here.

"I don't think I (or anybody else who is in a band) deserve any more acknowledgement than anybody else who excels in their profession."

Fine, but that's kind of why I gave the real estate example. I don't think this is an "artists only" thing. Sometimes people react strangely to attempted acknowledgement, for the reasons I attempted to make sense of. I might have foolishly asked her something about being "excited" if she was doing a big fancy deal or something.

You analogize your music to the dullest kinds of things, like shoving spam in a mailbox, but there are less dull jobs people have. Over and over you say "it's just a job", but that doesn't really say much. There are jobs and there are jobs. Usually, when people say that, it means, "I couldn't care less about what I do and really hate it sometimes but I need the money." I wouldn't ask those people about excitement, but I don't think that's supposed to be your problem with your job.

You leave very little room for anything resembling praise, and I wouldn't want to be in the position of a non-musician trying to offer it. It's almost like anything a non-musician might say would get the slapback, "Well then why don't you do it YOURSELF?"

But people get to be non-musicians and still admire musicians, there's nothing intrinsically broken about that. A person might have absolutely no interest in learning to play guitar himself, at all, ever, and yet still really appreciate good guitar playing, and even say that to guitarist players. I see nothing wrong with that.

I do get the thing about the guy wishing he "could" play guitar like you. I can understand why hearing that enough might make you want to scream and say "I PLAY like this because I WORK at it."

"Also, never believe that you can see inside someone's head to know or assume to know what they think."

That's what words are for.

I have a feeling I shouldn't have jumped in here, but too late now, and deletes don't work. I do apologize if I have crossed any lines.

eddie1261 #675739 10/01/21 03:10 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
[............. A gig is just a day at work and no big deal. .............................

I respectfully disagree.

If this is how one feels then they should not be gigging!

It is a big deal to the audience and to those who are paying you, i.e. the bar owners, restaurant owners, party house owners, wedding party etc. YOU are there to make them happy.

I'm not denying that playing an instrument and playing in a band is hard work. But people don't see that preparation, all they see is the finished product.

To me playing a gig and having the audience enjoy what I or the band is playing is the ultimate high. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
HearToLearn #675748 10/01/21 03:34 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I love to PLAY music.

And when I'm up there, that's exactly what I'm doing.

I enjoy myself and get into that place where there is no space, no time, no Bob, just the music flowing through me and the energy from the audience coming back to me.

It's not just another day at work, it's an opportunity to do what I love to do.

The only work involved is schlepping the gear. Semi-work is learning the new songs, it's not PLAYing but it's not really working either.

At least for me.

I love PLAYing music, and plan to do it as long as I can find an appreciative audience.

Notes

PS, IMO if you aren't looking forward to the next gig, and if you aren't having fun at the gig, you should probably get a real job with health insurance, vacation pay, paid holidays and sick leave.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
HearToLearn #675810 10/01/21 09:21 AM
Off-Topic
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
laugh

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
old men.jpg (55.94 KB, 140 downloads)
HearToLearn #675820 10/01/21 10:30 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, I can tell you one thing for sure
I would rather be playing a guitar on skid row
With a broken 6th string than be laying in this bed in the VA
Hospital in Miami
I be lucky if I don’t through one of theses sorry Xxxx
Nurses off th 11th floor…lol

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
axeplayer #675833 10/01/21 12:18 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: axeplayer
laugh

That's our band photo!!!

2. Send it to us.
Notes Norton #675835 10/01/21 12:25 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
IMO if you aren't looking forward to the next gig, and if you aren't having fun at the gig, you should probably get a real job with health insurance, vacation pay, paid holidays and sick leave.

I have all that as a retiree!!

You guys starting to see why I retired from music until this band? It became a job. This band was fun when it started. Now it's like having 9 wives. I couldn't coexist with ONE wife, much less 9. All the drama, the whining, excuses to miss rehearsal, one is a spoiled rich kid who has had everything handed to him/her, one is even lazier than I am...

I expect (demand) that everybody work as hard as I do. That has not happened. The ones missing rehearsal are the ones making the same mistake every meeting. It's a bunch of people who think there is a "good enough" in music. There is not.

2. Send it to us.
HearToLearn #675942 10/02/21 04:15 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are many right ways to go through life.

If gigging lost it's thrill for me and became work, I'd quit too. Fortunately, that hasn't happened (yet?).

To me, a successful life is having a maximum amount of fun and a minimum amount of misery or stress. Whatever you do, if you achieve that, I'd say you are a success.

We gigged last night and had a blast.

It was at a huge RV Resort. We play there often.

It's outdoors, the patio was full, so they set tables up in the parking lot. The crowd was enthusiastic, loving what we were doing and showing it, a friend who plays guitar in a Rolling Stones tribute band came by, and the 3 hours passed much too quickly.

I can't wait to do it again.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
HearToLearn #675945 10/02/21 05:10 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You have found your "why". I never did.

2. Send it to us.
eddie1261 #675950 10/02/21 05:31 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
You have found your "why". I never did.

It's the reason they say it's "A,E,I,O,U and sometimes Why." Not everyone has one.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
HearToLearn #676113 10/03/21 04:11 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think I knew it from the beginning.

My earliest favorite toys were ones that made music.

My father played violin, trumpet, ukulele, and later in life organ. I fondly remember my dad getting the uke out, opening song books and we children singing along with those old, corny songs.

Before I was eligible for school band, I got into the tonette and flutaphone (recorder) ensembles and learned how to read music.

As soon as I was eligible, I joined the school band. Pompano Beach, FL was a small town then so all the new guys got a practice pad and a pair of drumsticks. I learned the required rudiments quickly and learned to control the drumsticks.

Then the tenor saxophonist's family moved away, the sax rental was available, the band director asked who would like to try it, and I guess I was more enthusiastic than the others.

I took to it well, and was first tenor in the all-state band every year, and I also took section leader away from the default first alto.

My first professional gig was when I was in junior high school. I played in the school band, but after school, I was in this little rock n roll band. We were terrible, but so was everybody else back then.

We got the gig to play at a junior high dance. So there I was on the stage with my very best friends at the time. We were having the time of our lives, playing the top40 songs of the day to the best of our ability. I looked up and that cute girl who didn't even acknowledge my existence in English class was making eyes at me. And at the end of the night, they actually paid me money!!!

That night, I said, "This is what I want to do for the rest of my life."

I'm of retirement age and have no plans to do so. I still think gigging is the most fun I can have with my clothes on.

Insights and incites by Notes

Notes Norton #676122 10/03/21 04:42 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
My father played violin, trumpet, ukulele, and later in life organ. I fondly remember my dad getting the uke out, opening song books and we children singing along with those old, corny songs

My best response to that is "Oh man, I only wish..."

My old school Slovenian father thought anything but polkas and waltzes was not music, and despite sending me to music lessons at age 5 and buying me a guitar for Christmas when I was 11, fought me tooth and nail when I wanted to make music my life's career path. He refused to accept that there are ways to make a living that did not require a time card and a lunch box. He constantly discouraged me, badgered me in fact, from trying to follow my dream. He died during his 73rd year, when I was 39, after telling me on his deathbed that I was an embarrassment to him, that he was disappointed in what I had become, and that he was ashamed to admit that I was his son.

That was the last thing he said to me. I have been carrying that around for 31 years now, and I think about that every day. It will never go away. That man that I revered, that man who shaped me and who by example instilled into me my strong work ethic, died disappointed in me.

I have to go now.

2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,631
Posts735,243
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185