Originally Posted By: Icelander
Oh wow, if there was an award issued for the "Geekiest post of a thread", then this one takes the crown for sure! laugh

*bows* I'm here all week!

But wait - there's more!

Originally Posted By: Gordon Scott
Right, so if I were to install Pro at, say, 2 minutes per disc at 8 hours per day, I could be installed in just a little over 10 months.

I suspect many of us would be dead before we'd installed that audiophile edition.

According to my back-of-the-napkin-math, just over 17 years. Incidentally, this is almost as long as it took between the Atari version of BIAB and the very first Audiophile edition.

It's easy sometimes to forget just how far things have moved on. My first hands-on computer, around 1973, was a Data General Nova 3 with twin 8" 160k floppies, a "massive" 128kB magnetic memory and a "top-loader washing machine" for 5MB Winchester + 5MB removable drive, the latter taking a couple or so hours to spin up or down.

My present actual washing machine almost certainly has more compute power, though it may still be lower on storage.

Depends. If you wash your jeans with a couple Micro-SD cards in the pockets, your washer could easily have a few terabytes of storage. Temporarily, of course.

Hmm, I wonder, though not much(!), just how many tons of paper tape even that Pro edition would need.

Paper tape apparently maxed out at 50 bits per linear inch (according to Google). Assuming 1.6 trillion bytes, or 12.8 trillion bits, that's 256 billion inches or 4,040,404 miles - which given how many 404's are in that number, it's no wonder I can't find my punched-tape Audiophile anywhere.

I work here