Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
It's a simple question and hopefully there's a simple answer to it.
I have a style that sounds quite decent: _J085_AS Night Jazz Ballad Quartet(85 RS)
I'd like to change the piano to a vibraphone.

How would I do this (in as much detail as possible)?
TIA

R
Expert
Expert
R
I'm not sure if you want the actual style changed or just one song to use the Vibes. Your question specifies the style so I'll answer that one. This assumes that there is no Vibes RealTrack and will use MIDI.

1. Make a copy of the original style before changing
2. While in BIAB, select the style or open a song containing the style
3. Edit the style (ALT F9)
4. Press the Misc button and then the More... button
5. Select Piano from the Instrument dropdown box
6. Select 0 <No Soloist> from the Soloist dropdown
7. Click OK and OK to exit from the Misc screens
8. From the Stylemaker screen, press the Pat. button
9. In the Piano Patch dropdown, select the 12 Vibes patch
10. Press OK
11. Press Save

Your style is now changed

Last edited by Rachael; 03/25/10 03:07 PM.
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

I'm not sure if you want the actual style changed or just one song to use the Vibes. Your question specifies the style so I'll answer that one. This assumes that there is no Vibes RealTrack and will use MIDI.

1. Make a copy of the original style before changing
Your style is now changed

Thanks very much Rachael.
It worked!
Now that was so intuitive. It would have taken me oh.... maybe a few months before I would have figured out all that!

Just one thing now.
The piano has been replaced with midi vibes, which is great.
But the rhythms it's playing are really hokey sounding.
I tried going in there and grabbing the only decent rhythm and changing its value to 9 and changing all the other values from 5 to 1 but when I regenerated the song nothing changed (I did save the new style changes before I re-generated the song).

I assume I'll need to re-weight the rhythms and/or write some new ones, but how do I make them stick?
Thanks again!

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
OK! I am now having some success with it!
Yippee.

I went into the style and copied the only good pattern there was over all the 1's (the 5's that were changed to 1's) and it really helped.
It's not perfect yet. I'll need to tinker with it some more, but it's almost there.

R
Expert
Expert
R
You can always find another style with a better sounding Vibes and add the desired RealTracks to it now that you know the procedure.

R

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

You can always find another style with a better sounding Vibes and add the desired RealTracks to it now that you know the procedure.

R

Yes, thanks! Speaking of better sounding vibes...
Right now I'm using the VST/dxi synth settings in BIAB (I think).
The vibes sound pretty poor actually.
I have an old Roland Sound Canvas SC55-mkII that should have better synth sounds overall.
I haven't used it in ages and wonder how I would connect it to my computer now to try it out?
It has MIDI in, out, and thru jacks as well as what looks like a PS/2 connector to a computer.

Do you know how I could connect it to a new computer quickly?

TIA

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
SC55, you would need a MIDI converter to connect to a modern computer, typically either the soundcard with MIDI connects on it or alternatively, a USB-to-MIDI converter.

But don't count on the sounds in the long-in-the-tooth SC55 to sound better than what the VSC Roland Virtual Sound Canvas offers. VSC came along *after* the SC55, or maybe at the same time, and it has slightly better and richer samples in it to my ears.

On top of that, the Patch of interest here is the Vibraphone, a rather "easy" MIDI emulation as instruments go, do to the ADSR characteristics.

Very likely that the VSC sounds better than the '55 all the way around. If it doesn't, check your soundcard's Volume faders for both Master and Wav output, for if they are not turned all the way up, the software MIDI synth sounds suffer.

--Mac

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

SC55, you would need a MIDI converter to connect to a modern computer, typically either the soundcard with MIDI connects on it or alternatively, a USB-to-MIDI converter.

But don't count on the sounds in the long-in-the-tooth SC55 to sound better than what the VSC Roland Virtual Sound Canvas offers. VSC came along *after* the SC55, or maybe at the same time, and it has slightly better and richer samples in it to my ears. -Mac

Thanks Mac.
My sound card got fried a while back during a lightning strike.
I went out and bought an Edirol USB Audio Capture UA-25EX unit to bring in audio recording to my computer.
I honestly don't know what my 'sound card' is now as a result. I only plug in the UA-25EX when I need to record my guitar or use a mic.
In BIAB, VSC shows up for midi.
That's all I know about my 'sound card'.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I call the thing a "soundcard" -- even if it no longer resides in a slot inside the computer. Whether it is USB, FireWire, or some connect to come along in the future, it is still doing the same job as the venerable old "soundcard" -- it is just that the card, or the printed circuit board, to be more precise, is now located outside the PC box.

The Edirol USB Audio Capture UA-25EX has MIDI connects built into it. You can use those to connect MIDI controller to Input and MIDI synth/sampler to output or standalone MIDi keyboard with both controller and built in synth to input and output.

--Mac

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

The Edirol USB Audio Capture UA-25EX has MIDI connects built into it. You can use those to connect MIDI controller to Input and MIDI synth/sampler to output or standalone MIDi keyboard with both controller and built in synth to input and output.

--Mac

Thanks Mac, I didn't even realize that I could connect my Sound Canvas SC55 to my computer with the Edirol UA-25EX.
I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
OK I just hooked up my Edirol USB Audio Capture UA-25EX to my SC-55 and I can't hear any Midi yet.
I just hooked up OUT of SC into 25EX In and IN of SC into OUT of 25EX.
I also told BIAB and my computer about the changes (25EX as midi device).
I also disabled VSC in BIAB.

Anything else obvious I'm missing?

TIA

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
OK I'm making some progress but I'm not quite there yet.
After twiddling with some settings inside BIAB I am at this stage:

When I play a midi file outside of BIAB and plug in headphones into the SC55 I can hear the midi file fine.

When I play a song inside BIAB I can hear the audio parts through my computer speaker but not the Midi part. When I plug in my headphone into the SC55 I can hear the Midi part that was missing.

I would like to know a simple way to get the audio + midi coming out of my computer speakers, the way it was yesterday, when I wasn't using the SC55 (just VSC software).

TIA

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Ya gotta also hook up the stereo audio output of the device to the soundcard's line input...

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

Ya gotta also hook up the stereo audio output of the device to the soundcard's line input...

Thanks Mac. I have a couple of questions about this.
If we don't get it straightened out in the next post or two I'll start a new thread because my original question has been answered.

First, about your reply, hooking up the output of the SC55.
Do I take the SC55 output and connect it to the UA-25EX's inputs on the front?
Wouldn't that create an endless loop?

The other thing I'd like to understand is about my 'sound card', audio and midi.
As I mentioned my internal sound card got fried during a lightning strike (the card that was built into my motherboard).
Despite this, I can still hear audio and midi WITHOUT my UA-25EX (external sound card) being powered up!
I don't understand how I can hear sound without a sound card?

Yes, I need my 25EX to record my guitar and my voice, but I don't understand how I can hear the audio without the sound card.

TIA

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Trace back down the speaker wires to see where they are attached to the computer, that would probably be an "internal" sound card that is part of the motherboard.

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

Trace back down the speaker wires to see where they are attached to the computer, that would probably be an "internal" sound card that is part of the motherboard.

Yes the speakers are plugged into the speaker outs on the MB.
But the main MB drivers with their software mixer etc. don't function 99% of the time.
Once in a blue moon the computer will start up with the drivers loaded.

The rest of the time the computer somehow manages to churn out sound, replacing the Realtek drivers with Windows' default sound drivers.

I just plugged in the outs of the SC55 into the ins of the 25EX and no midi sounds are happening through the speakers.
The SC55 shows midi activity on its screen.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If the speakers are plugged into the output of the motherboard's built in soundcard, then there is no way that any audio from the outrigger USB sound device can be heard.

You would need powered speakers, attached to the Line Out of the 25EX in order to do that.

I think you are in over your head, given what you've already told us (and what is likely left out) -- but you might try not using the audio of the 25EX and simply try plugging the audio outputs of the 55 into the Line inputs of the motherboard's soundcard, see if you can use that.

First things first.

--Mac

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

If the speakers are plugged into the output of the motherboard's built in soundcard, then there is no way that any audio from the outrigger USB sound device can be heard.

You would need powered speakers, attached to the Line Out of the 25EX in order to do that.

Yes it seems this is the only way the SC55 will be heard, but I didn't know this before.
And what about recording the sounds from the SC55. Same hookup?

Quote:

I think you are in over your head, given what you've already told us (and what is likely left out) -- but you might try not using the audio of the 25EX and simply try plugging the audio outputs of the 55 into the Line inputs of the motherboard's soundcard, see if you can use that.

Hey, I'm the first one to admit I'm in over my head. I wouldn't be asking these questions if I wasn't.
I just tried plugging in direct from the 55 into the Line input of MB but still no Midi happening.

This triggered a memory from around the time shortly after the lightning strike.
The jacks (line direct/mic in/line out etc. from the MB are screwed up/not working).
This is the main reason I went out and bought the 25EX. To have a way to get sound into the MB/computer.

A few things were messed up by the lightning strike this was one of them. The other was a blown
MB ethernet adapter.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

But the main MB drivers with their software mixer etc. don't function 99% of the time.
Once in a blue moon the computer will start up with the drivers loaded.

Please think of the possibility that you're having hardware issues here and not necessarily software. Perhaps the issue isn't with configuration or setup or settings at all.

From my own experience, whenever I've had PC's that were obviously 'hit' after voltage spikes (or lightning strikes), your PC is bound to do some pretty strange things either right away or in the near future -- assuming it survived the electrical 'jolt' in the first place. As your electronics were never designed to survive such a thing, you just never know to what extent your net damage is going to be. You may have some electronics (IC's, etc) overheating at some point, you may have some parts of your system working intermittently, you may have some that appear to work (on the surface of things) but then are actually CAUSING problems with other parts of your system, etc.

It's a crap-shoot whether you should even continue to use the system or not. If you weren't 110% certain and you are 'relying' on this machine, I'd recommend that you take your PC to a shop and have them perform a few detailed diagnostics on it and then give you their opinion on whether it's safe to use or not and whether you should continue investing in it (just how reliable or unreliable it will likely be). Only you yourself can decide whether it's a good idea to continue to invest your time and money into it -- Myself, I doubt I'd even plug a new peripheral device into it. I'd be overly concerned for the welfare of any new box I plugged into it! And as you may or may not know, electrical 'hits' take their toll on your electronics (all over your house, not just your PC). You can count on it reducing the lifespan of all your equipment.

I've built, configured and repaired PC's and peripherals for many years (for 1000's of business users) and quite frankly, depending on the necessity or application of that particular PC, I wouldn't do anything with that machine that was in a critical application or where you aren't prepared to endure some weird things happening from time to time (not to mention you should consider that it will crap out on you altogether sooner than you think). I use those 'questionable' PC's for printer servers or the like. Remember too that it's likely to be okay maybe if by 'weird stuff' we're saying that we'll need to endure the inconvenience of an occasional reboot. But what about those things you can't predict? What about if your PC starts to take a toll on the new technology you're likely to be adding to it in the future? Right now, you don't know the percentage of the problems you're having can be traced back to software or hardware.

I know it's not an easy proposition but why do you think that those companies selling 'spike' protection equipment can offer you thousands (even hundreds of thousands) of dollars to insure you against something like this? And even then I can tell you that it still happens -- Spikes will get past the protection equipment from time to time. I've seen this happen and my company has filed a few claims like this before. Not before months of pulling-your-hair-out troubleshooting. There's really no way to protect against mother nature's power -- With the technology we currently have, we cannot even generate the power that Ma' Nature creates in one single lightning strike!

Similar to your situation ... I had a PC (on $50,000 dollar-insured, surge suppression) one time that the morning after a bad storm, wouldn't power up -- black screen. We went through that machine with a fine-tooth comb and eventually the solution was to physically pull out the fried modem and sound card -- the mobo survived but evidently the peripherals sustained the bulk of the hit. Once replaced with new peripherals it was fine -- or so we thought, until six months later with the mobo finally died. Lesson learned I guess.

On another note, if I were you and I was fighting the gremlins that you are, I'd yank that original sound card right out. There's even a good chance that the old card is or will cause you additional future problems. Secondly, if the sound card is built in (integrated into the mobo), then you should have a switch on the mobo to turn off external peripherals (read your documentation). And apart from that, if you have a more advanced mobo, then you might find the on/off switch for your integrated devices to be in your system setup / BIOS (usually accessible during hot boot). Finally (assuming you're still in fight-my-gremlins-mode than you are ready buy a new system), Tiger Direct (at tigerdirect.com) can get you a replacement board (probably with more features than your old one). If you're not comfortable with that (or like me, you get tired of it nickel and diming you and wearing out your troubleshooting patience), start over with a new machine -- It could cost you a lot less money and time.

Ike
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
thanks, Russell.

I agree with what Russell says here.

You should replace that computer or resign yourself to many things going bump in the night and not having any place to stand on as to whether or not it can be fixed with a tweak or is a user problem or is just the lightning-struck motherboard acting up.

Not a good thing.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,534
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200