Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#674648 09/24/21 02:23 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
OP Offline
I want to use tracks i created in BIAB for live gigs, looking for input on process, should I save tracks as wave files to another device or just use BIAB for playback.

zansongs #674663 09/24/21 03:13 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Lots of info/approaches about this subject on this forum.

I have a relatively simple workflow to produce backing tracks for my work as an instrumental musician.

I create my basic arrangement in biab using real Tracks. No midi.
I take the .wav file biab output as single tracks per instrument into my daw(logic).
There I mix, eq, automation, limit, etc to output a 320kbps mp3 file for performance.

I use Anytune Pro on my tablet or phone to manage and play the tracks behind my guitar.

Pretty simple stuff.
Others do differently.

Last edited by mrgeeze; 09/24/21 03:17 AM.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
zansongs #674669 09/24/21 04:10 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, this topic has been brought up many times.... you can do a search.

I think most folks around here prefer to render their BIAB/RB tracks to a high quality .MP3 as you can play it from so many devices.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
sslechta #674670 09/24/21 04:31 AM
OP Offline
I'd like to use a foot pedal though to start, stop and change tracks.
I'm doing the vocals and guitar so I mainly want just some bass, drums and occasional piano

zansongs #674671 09/24/21 04:58 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
i use an Irig Blueboard Bluetooth Pedal to control the playback software at the gig
4 pads on the pedal.
Configurable in the software.
I set mine upas follows:
start/stop playbacck
next track
previous track
loop section on/off (I loop sections of songs for improvising)

You can even add an expression pedal to control volume on the Blueboard
I tried it a couple of times but it was more complicated I liked. A bit of latency was annoying.

Now I focus on EQ and Limiting (LUFS) of my tracks during creation. The need to up/down volume at a gig (after initial sound check) has all but disappeared.

There's some discussions here regarding loudness penalty and programs like mp3gain to produce tracks that have consistent volume. That's a skill you'll want to acquire when using tracks to play out.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
zansongs #674682 09/24/21 05:43 AM
Veteran
Veteran
"Live Gigs"

I've heard talk about these.....a long time ago....

Now, if you had said "Live DJ", that would be more apropos. grin

Regards,

Bob

zansongs #674685 09/24/21 06:15 AM
Veteran
Veteran
My advice is to travel light and keep it simple.

Convert the song files to waves and use your favorite wave player.

I recommend a backup plan as well. MP3s on your phone for example.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/24/21 06:15 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
zansongs #674708 09/24/21 10:14 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
GuitarHacker makes an important point
Backups are a necessity. Both in the studio and at the gig.
Not only another set of audio files but a way to hook into your performance rig. Quickly.

My approach is again, simple.
I use the same playback software and mp3's on my PC (mac), tablet, and my phone.
I coordinate track files, track settings and setlists easily on all devices .

The playback software (Anytune) on my Mac(BIAB and my DAW also reside) is the master.
I do all my testing in the studio then propagate the results to both of my performance devices (slaves).
Anytune makes this multi-device replication very easy.
I have one set of files replicated across n devices. I store a copy in the cloud because I'm a pessimist.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Guitarhacker #674724 09/24/21 12:06 PM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
My advice is to travel light and keep it simple.

This!

From what I've seen, our more successful giggers tend to use a tablet of some sort to play MP3/wav/etc files from. We have an iPhone/iPad app that can serve this purpose, or you can use any audio player app.

I personally wouldn't gig with a Windows machine unless I absolutely had to, and unless I had two. If you only need something that plays your song and don't need any sort of show control, VST's, or any of that sort, stick to the simplest device you can get away with.

I work here
zansongs #675112 09/26/21 11:59 PM
J
J
What I would like to be able is to define parts in BB, like intro, chorus, verse, bridge, end, and be able to select them with a foot switch.
On a live gig, I like to have guest so I'd like to able to loop more chorus, or chorus+verse than originally planned.

In short, I cannot know the exact sequence of part/sections I'll need that day.
That's why mp3 won't work.

Does that exists ?

zansongs #675113 09/27/21 12:05 AM
J
J
It's already possible to set "bar based section letter". Is there a possibility to tell band in box, while playing, "when you'll finish this part, jump to the section X" ?

zansongs #675144 09/27/21 06:13 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Here's a 2 minute video explaining how you can do pretty much all of that at your gigs. I know, I do it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4XcsYySauI

The software mentioned is free on IOS and Android
I think its $20 on Mac.
I believe there is some upcharge ($5) for some features you may need. All in all, a pittance for the service it delivers

The bluetooth pedal mentioned costs $100.

Might be worth 2 minutes of your life to evaluate.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
zansongs #691615 12/16/21 11:30 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
This is all interesting but does anybody use BIAB live on stage. Seems PG has developed several interesting features for that purpose. Like the conductor and the idea of not freezing the tracks to obtain small differences in the track to obtain a more lifelike quality.

Dell 610 dual Monitor, win 7-10, Sonar Plat, ProTools 10 & 11, Reaper 4, BIAB/real Band 2022, Easy Drummer, Superior Drummer, Kontact Essentials, Personnel Orchestra, Korg Legacy Analog & Digital
zansongs #691617 12/16/21 11:49 PM
Expert
Expert
i agree with simon. convert to mp3s so you can have an ipod, back up on your phone and another ipod sourced cheaply off ebay

the benefits of being able to change the song on the fly don't outweigh the horrendous risks of failure.

i found it difficult to remember which guitar patches to use on my processor playing live without a note on the music and all it takes is momentary distraction for you to get lost. on the other hand you might be more clever than me.

with a live band you can change the order of a song by talking but that flexibility is lost once AI takes over.

zansongs #691635 12/17/21 02:23 AM
Expert
Expert
I put all my BIAB tracks into Reaper where I mix and “master” them. I set all my tracks to about -14LUFS then export them. I convert the wav files to MP3 @ 320bps. I generate the words and chord sheets in a program called SongBook Pro. Each song has a pointer to the MP3. I start the song scrolling and start the MP3. The words and chords appear as required. These are all on a 2 in 1 tablet/laptop.

On the tablet/laptop I have Overloud THU setup for my guitar. I control THU with a Behringer FCB1010 midi foot controller which allows various “stomp boxes”, Volume and auto Wah rates to be controlled.

The guitar and the MP3s are balanced in the PC and go via an external audio interface which is plugged into a PA. All balanced and requiring minimal effort (usually no interference) when doing a gig.

Very simple setup that works for me.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 12/17/21 02:25 AM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
zansongs #691781 12/17/21 12:24 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Teunis makes an important point regarding output leveling all your tracks to the same volume. Nothing is more annoying at a gig (both to you and the crowd) than volumes that jump all around the place.

A free utility mp3Gain has helped me much in this regard. It is available for both Win and Mac.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
mrgeeze #691783 12/17/21 12:29 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
so nobody uses the conductor feature on live gigs?

Dell 610 dual Monitor, win 7-10, Sonar Plat, ProTools 10 & 11, Reaper 4, BIAB/real Band 2022, Easy Drummer, Superior Drummer, Kontact Essentials, Personnel Orchestra, Korg Legacy Analog & Digital
earl kirby #691848 12/17/21 06:10 PM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
i agree with simon. convert to mp3s so you can have an ipod, back up on your phone and another ipod sourced cheaply off ebay

the benefits of being able to change the song on the fly don't outweigh the horrendous risks of failure.

Exactly. My thinking with this is - which one crashes more often for you, your computer or your iPod\iPad\tablet\etc? I'll assume it's the computer.

Originally Posted By: earl kirby
so nobody uses the conductor feature on live gigs?

We do know of a number of users who do - I suppose they just aren't here to comment on this thread!

I work here
zansongs #691853 12/17/21 07:40 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Just like the space shuttle, redundancy is the only real answer to electronic failures. No matter how one creates and uses backing tracks, sooner or later something will fail no matter what sort of equipment you use.

Other than a complete PA failure the last resort backup is a guitar amp and a very loud vocal...lol or an instrumental till a break to fix the issue.

I have never had a PA failure. I always carry a backup guitar amp and two or three guitars. Extra microphones and chords. Chords fail pretty often if you don't know how to take care of them.

I also am on the hunt for the best equipment/processes I can afford for a duo. I want to use Auto-Tune and other computer-based FXs plus the backing tracks. Auto-Tune requires a different setup for every key change for example but is programmable with midi. It also can cause problems when you are just talking.

I am finding really good backing tracks are not easy to acquire unless you can play all the instruments or have tons of money to have studio musicians produce them.

Reliable equipment exists but the better you get the more it costs in general.

Having a setlist pre-programmed with midi and a way to pause it and micro loop with a footswitch and stuff like that gets really complex....at least to me.

Bob "Notes" has been doing this for years and is a good guy to ask about these issues.

My younger friends use their iPhones for everything. I would pitch mine off the nearest bridge if I could get away with it. I really dislike the thing. Old guy thinking...lol

Here is a video that has some good ideas for a simple setup.
https://youtu.be/GGRgkYFTR_k

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 12/17/21 08:09 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Planobilly #691860 12/17/21 08:22 PM
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Just like the space shuttle, redundancy is the only real answer to electronic failures. No matter how one creates and uses backing tracks, sooner or later something will fail no matter what sort of equipment you use.

Other than a complete PA failure the last resort backup is a guitar amp and a very loud vocal...lol or an instrumental till a break to fix the issue.

I have never had a PA failure. I always carry a backup guitar amp and two or three guitars. Extra microphones and chords. Chords fail pretty often if you don't know how to take care of them.

I also am on the hunt for the best equipment/processes I can afford for a duo. I want to use Auto-Tune and other computer-based FXs plus the backing tracks. Auto-Tune requires a different setup for every key change for example but is programmable with midi. It also can cause problems when you are just talking.

I am finding really good backing tracks are not easy to acquire unless you can play all the instruments or have tons of money to have studio musicians produce them.

Reliable equipment exists but the better you get the more it costs in general.

Having a setlist pre-programmed with midi and a way to pause it and micro loop with a footswitch and stuff like that gets really complex....at least to me.

Bob "Notes" has been doing this for years and is a good guy to ask about these issues.

My younger friends use their iPhones for everything. I would pitch mine off the nearest bridge if I could get away with it. I really dislike the thing. Old guy thinking...lol

Here is a video that has some good ideas for a simple setup.
https://youtu.be/GGRgkYFTR_k

Billy

One of the best nights I can remember is we were well into a gig and the region received a major blackout. No power = no PA no Amps. What to do? Well we simply sat on a table in the middle of the auditorium got out a couple of acoustics and my ole banjo started doing some songs (we had 4 piece harmonies.) within no time a heap of people were singing along and we had a great party. As I said one of the best nights I can recall.

Where there’s a will there’s a way (or a relative).

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,734
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197