Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Not that I wouldn't like Jazz - in fact, I do like it very much - but for specific practicing purposes (or probably even for specific creation purposes), the "De-Jazz Chords" function (in my German BiaB it is named "Akkorde entjazzen", so I guess that in the English version it is named "De-Jazz Chords") is very welcome.

But: Unfortunately this feature seems to work only once for the same song.

So if there's for example a C9 in my song, the "de-jazz chords" feature turns it into a C7. But if I use the "de-jazz chords"-function again, that C7 will not turn into a C then. So it seems that an already de-jazzed song can't be de-jazzed again / further de-jazzed.

Since I'd like to be able to automatically turn all chords of a song into triads, it would be great if the "de-jazz chords" function would work again for an already once de-jazzed song.

Last edited by MoveToGroove; 10/01/21 02:07 AM.

BiaB Pro 2022; Windows 10
Bass: Intermediate; Piano: Beginner
I came to this forum in order to suggest feature improvements for non-professional musicians like myself that use BiaB mainly as a playalong tool and as a learning tool
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Good point. I tried to explain this earlier also. Real Tracks are recordings of real artists. They may take personal licence to embellish performances in their own ways. When it comes to a 'straight' performance, this can be different to what is expected.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hey VideoTrack,

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, in particular since the limitation does not only apply to Realtracks. - You think the limitation to only one dejazz-step exists because of licensing aspects? I'd think that it's more probable that the reason is of some kind of technical nature?

I came to this forum in order to suggest feature improvements for non-professional musicians like myself that use BiaB mainly as a playalong tool and as a learning tool
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I don't mean a 'legal license', I mean how the musician feels that they want their performance to sound. In other words, how they might put their own 'stamp' on their music by playing a musical phrase in a certain way.

Whether based on RealTracks or MIDI, it is still a musical 'performance'.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Here is the correspondence I am having with another forum member:

"Originally Posted By: swingbabymix

Originally Posted By: MarioD
The only way to get exactly what you want is to either edit audio in a program like Melodyne or to edit MIDI in the piano roll view or the notation view. [quote]

Yes, sir.
Now listen to the video and you will understand what I mean [quote]

My friend I did listen to your video.

What the program gives you is what it has and that isn't necessarily what you want. Sometimes you can get closer by regenerating but even that may not be what you want. Thus my answer.

In your video case one would put the track into the polyphonic version of Melodyne, delete the section you don't want, and then extend the notes of the chord that you do want.

I use mostly MIDI but I run into situations like this all of the time. In my DAW I modify tracks into something that I want.

BiaB is an excellent program but it may not give you the exact results that you want. That's just the way it is. YMMV
----------------------------------------------------
I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I'm venturing into an area I do not know well here, but isn't BIAB based on a C7 chord pattern when styles are made? The exception would be some very simple classical or folk styles. If I'm right, 'reducing' to a 7th chord is as 'low' (simple) as it goes.

Interestingly, I sometimes use upper extensions to force what I want. If BIAB is giving me an occasional major seventh when I write x7, sometimes x9 works better to force a dominant seventh. Just a little obscure factoid.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
VideoTrack, I'm really not sure if we are talking about the same thing. And that applies even more for Mario. So I conclude that I probably haven't explained good enough what I mean.

Let's say that I (beginner at the piano) use the chords generator in the melody maker and want to playalong with only triads - 7th chords would disturb my clear view onto what I'd have to play and they would also sound a bit different from what I'd play then.

The chords are chosen by the AI, not by the musician who had recorded the style patterns. And for sure, the musician had also recorded a triad, but the AI just has chosen a 9th-chord here. So what has the recording artist of the style pattern to do with that?

And still, what should that musician have against it at all? Isn't that exactly what the style patterns are meant for? Using them for progressions that you like to use them for? And btw: if he really would have something against it, why would he then be ok with one step of de-jazzing, which would also be already quite a significant modification?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hey Matt,

you mean that BiaB can't go lower than a 7th-chord? I don't think so, since the first step of de-jazzing would turn an original C7 into a C.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MoveToGroove
Hey Matt,

you mean that BiaB can't go lower than a 7th-chord? I don't think so, since the first step of de-jazzing would turn an original C7 into a C.
I agree but I wasn't willing to say that is the case for the jazz styles. I like your proposal, to let the 'subtraction/simplification' process work each time and be cumulative.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MoveToGroove
VideoTrack, I'm really not sure if we are talking about the same thing. And that applies even more for Mario. So I conclude that I probably haven't explained good enough what I mean.

Let's say that I (beginner at the piano) use the chords generator in the melody maker and want to playalong with only triads - 7th chords would disturb my clear view onto what I'd have to play and they would also sound a bit different from what I'd play then.

The chords are chosen by the AI, not by the musician who had recorded the style patterns. And for sure, the musician had also recorded a triad, but the AI just has chosen a 9th-chord here. So what has the recording artist of the style pattern to do with that?

OK I understand now. I thought that you were typing in the chords but I see now that you were having the chords generator in the melody maker generating the chords. My bad.

Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.

+1

Last edited by MarioD; 10/01/21 10:58 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hey Mario,

no problem & I'm glad that I could explain it better now ;-)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks also for the clarification. I hadn't completely understood the intent previously.

Does the simplification option (force song to simple arrangement) assist in any way?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2021-10-01_23-41-39.jpg (107.77 KB, 14 downloads)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I've just tried it, VideoTrack, and the result: I don't think so.

It's difficult to say what the combination of "Force Song to simple arrangement" and then "De-Jazz Chods" does exactly, but after using this combination there are still 7ths in the arrangement.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I've thought about other cases where I could need a "Double-Dejazz"-function, and those would indeed use an existing song as a basis:

1) Loading a BiaB Demo-Song and then making the chords as rudimental as possible
2) Importing a song from a midi file and then making the chords as rudimental as possible

Both for the same purpose again: Playalong only with triads - just like the approach of "Easy Fake Books".

So what do you think about these cases? Legit or not legit?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199