Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#676427 - 10/05/21 07:53 AM [User Showcase] How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Hi everyone,

I wanted to make a bit a different song where the piano is in lead. It even starts with it...
And then I continue with the vocals and some other instruments. The SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/how-the-dice-fall?si=0aee54ec3a5a446cb03d1c7cbef2e768

I hope you like it, but I'm interested in what you really think of it.
I made it, because when I was young I really had those dreams of falling off a wall and then -in my dreams-learned how to fly. I still like that part!

Hans
=========================================
The Lyrics
How the dice fall
(c) HWBerkhout, 26/09/21

V
I took my heart in my hands
And I stared at that worn out thing
There is some love  inside it
Though for years no one came in

R
In early dreams I was falling
Allways from a wall
I never got me answers
About the meaning of it all

V
I had my heart in my hands
There is some love inside it
Though I let no one in

R
Now I have dreams about nothing
Only falling from a wall
But I won't be moaning
About the meaning of it all

=Solo=
V
I have my life in my hands
And I stared at my worn out soul
There is some crying inside it
A child, I can see through a hole

R
But I have dreams about nothing
Only falling from a wall
I learned some living and to understand
How the dice may fall

Still I have dreams about nothing
Only from that wall
I learned some living and to comprehend
How the dice must fall

=bridge=

V
But I ignored the child in my soul
Weeping on a wall
I was the one I neglected
That's how the dice really fall
===========================================
The instruments and other stuff:
Style: PBallads, Key: G (BiaB)
Bas, 3467Drums, ModernPopBallad 16thPiano 1 (1006) Symphony
Piano 2 (chorus) 3670
Me: composition, lyrics, vocals and keyboard for Strings (Sunset Strings, Realivox) and Drop sounds (Piano Colors from Native instruments)

Edited by Birchwood (10/06/21 05:27 AM)

#676483 - 10/05/21 03:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Lovely intro Hans. Just loved the lyric. Super vocal. Backtrack was very cool. Excellent choice of instrumentation. Well done...

#676485 - 10/05/21 03:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
Hans,

This is a really nice progression along with a lovely melody and narrative.

at the 0.17/8 point there's a very rough edit within BIAB of the piano chords...it's happens a coupe of times more after that one.
It's often difficult to over come but would be worth the effort as a) it's pretty naked in the intro and b) the progression is really nice.

Your vocal is still a little harsh in spots, as mentioned some time ago, but not off-putting.

Nice package, the strings add their sweetness well.
Good work!
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#676494 - 10/05/21 04:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I really like this one. Super job with that piano and the chord progression. The lyrics are top notch for sure and your vocal was very good, as was your mix.

It was very refreshing hearing a piano as the main instrument. Extra praise for that!

Thumbs up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#676503 - 10/05/21 04:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Liked the emotion in your singing, it made the song for me. Good lyrics. I felt the piano solo was a little sparse, but it was short, so no big deal. Good work!

#676560 - 10/06/21 06:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Online   content
Expert

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Oh, yeah. Flying In Dreams. A lot of us did/do that. It's interesting to ask folks their method and there are a lot of them. WOW! I typed that while the song was cuing, and I was preparing to tell you what I REALLY think of it. Then it started playing and, man, it hit me. Had to stop it and start it over.

I REALLY think this song is outstanding in melody, lyrics, vocal and band, and the mix is perfect. It is so well developed and so emotional. Your vocal is your best. Those strings are so well arranged and played. When you asked how I really felt, I really wanted to give you the tongue-in-cheek response, but the song kept my tongue in check. Man, Hans, I gave it 3 spins so far, and still think it's one of the best songs. Really!

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper & Cakewalk

#676578 - 10/06/21 08:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
A great write.
The instruments fill the space and the vocal dances across the top.

I can tell this has some deep meaning to you, it shows in your passionate delivery.

Don't change a thing.

moto

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#676589 - 10/06/21 09:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Veteran

Loc: Finland
Gorgeous classic hit ballad! Very emotional lyrics and the way you interpret is very heartfelt.
I really like how you make heart and soul something tangible. And how the story (and the person) progress with small steps to the revealing end.
Lovely piano, it truly shows the beauty of the chord progression and supports the strong melody. Strings complete the masterpiece. Drop sounds work nicely.
Perfect fit for the darkening autumn days.

Janne

Soundcloud
YouTube

#676671 - 10/06/21 05:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
NigelSpiers Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi Hans,

This is an excellent song - music and lyrics.

I particularly like your vocals - lots of passion.

Best Regards
Nigel

#676674 - 10/06/21 06:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Gary Weder Offline
Journeyman

Hans.
A lovely production with excellent vocals . I very much enjoyed this. Well done.
regards
Gary.

#676709 - 10/07/21 06:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Hans,

A very good write. Both lyric and melody are good.

I like the production. I agree with Ray about the piano. It's a great choice, but there are a few "glitches" to the track. And the vocal is a "bit too crisp" in places (there is more high-EQ than you need). It IS well sung!!

An excellent song.

fj

#676761 - 10/07/21 02:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
"I had my heart in my hands
There is some love inside it
Though I let no one in"

"But I ignored the child in my soul
Weeping on a wall
I was the one I neglected
That's how the dice really fall'

A few of our favorite lines ... great write.

John Lennon is back! We love this, Hans. The piano is lovely, as are the strings and the dramatic arrangement is powerful to go along with the powerful lyric. You are a master at dynamics.

And the mix sounds fine on our monitors.

Well produced in all aspects!

J&B

#676773 - 10/07/21 03:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
jptjptjpt Offline
Expert

This is very nice. Your vocals are the star of this show. Wonderful. Great lyrics. Then band isn't too bad either, especially that piano player.

https://youtu.be/JwblUfdbsEk

My music can be heard at: http://thecracks.bandcamp.com/

#676852 - 10/08/21 05:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
One of your best I think, Hans!

Love the melody and chord progression, and great vocal.

Well done!

#676916 - 10/08/21 02:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: TuneMonger]
Birchwood Offline
Expert

Hi Scott, Ray, Mario and TuneMonger,

Thanks a lot for listening and your reply on my song. I appreciate that very much.

I feared the song might have been a bit too dramatic, but after reading the posts I admit I was wrong on that.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely intro Hans. Just loved the lyric. Super vocal. Backtrack was very cool. Excellent choice of instrumentation. Well done...

Hi Scott, thanks! Especially about the lyrics.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Hans,
This is a really nice progression along with a lovely melody and narrative.
at the 0.17/8 point there's a very rough edit within BIAB of the piano chords...it's happens a coupe of times more after that one.
It's often difficult to over come but would be worth the effort as a) it's pretty naked in the intro and b) the progression is really nice.
Your vocal is still a little harsh in spots, as mentioned some time ago, but not off-putting.

Nice package, the strings add their sweetness well.
Good work!

Hi Ray, thanks as well for your nice comment, also on the narrative. After your post I had changed the song a bit. I renewed the singing part and I rendered the first piano a couple of times to get what it is now. But beside the renewing of the piano I didn't hear what you wrote about it. Floyd also mentioned some glitches in the pianotrack, while he listened to the newer version. So they still have to be in it. But I don't hear any of this, nor did I read complains about it from others. On the contrary, some said to leave it as it is. And that is how I feel about it too. Also about that 'naked' part...
But keep telling me what I can improve in my songs. I need that information.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
I really like this one. Super job with that piano and the chord progression. The lyrics are top notch for sure and your vocal was very good, as was your mix.
It was very refreshing hearing a piano as the main instrument. Extra praise for that!
Thumbs up.

Hi Mario, what a nice comment! And what a wonderful mark I got on the lyrics. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Liked the emotion in your singing, it made the song for me. Good lyrics. I felt the piano solo was a little sparse, but it was short, so no big deal. Good work!

Hello TuneMonger, Thanks for these nice words and the qualification of the lyrics! I think you've heard the first version of the song, in the second version the piano wasn't sparse (in my opinion). So, I listened :-)

I hope you all have a nice weekend,
Hans

#676963 - 10/08/21 07:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hans

A really emotive and well sung ballad.

Nice lyric and impressive use of the piano and percussion.

A very good song.

Peter

#676975 - 10/08/21 09:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Expert

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Hans,

I love a piano song . . . and this one is pretty darn sweet. At 45 seconds, I’m wondering whether the intro is a bit too long, but once the song kicks in it takes off. So perhaps fine as is. The vocal is stellar, crisp and magnetic. The melody on the chorus sticks the ear well. Like the strings behind the piano—just the right touch. A compelling emotion to this piece that resonates. Impressive work!

All my best to you,

Deej

#677046 - 10/09/21 10:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Deej56]
justanoldmuso Offline
Expert

Hans.
nice piano and lyrics mate.
i like it when you push yuour vocs.

nice ending .
happiness.
om

#677064 - 10/09/21 12:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Hans,

You've really done a great job, here. Piano is my instrument and it always makes me feel comfortable when I listen to it.

As I listened, I closed my eyes and simply let your singing and the music drift around me. There's nothing I'd change.

Another fine addition to your ever-growing collection!

All the best,
Noel

#677341 - 10/11/21 09:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: How the dice fall, a ballad with piano's [Re: Birchwood]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Hans,
I believe you achieved your goal. Nice piano lead ballad. Good use, not overly busy synths. Liked that sub bass synth. Good fit. Solid set of lyrics. Zero complaints on your vocals, which in my opinion were pretty good and mix is clear. Easy listen.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Enhance Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Installation

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows users - update for FREE today!

We've added a new "record using" option within the Audio Settings dialog, and updated many existing features based on user feedback.

This free update also includes the most recent build of our DAW Plugin (3.9.12).

Learn more about this free update and download it today.

Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Band-in-a-Box® File Associations

You may have noticed when you were installing Band-in-a-Box® for Windows that you were asked if you would like to Associate Band-in-a-Box songs and styles with Band-in-a-Box? But, what does that mean?

It's actually pretty simple - basically, if you select this option while you're installing the program, files with the extensions .SGU, .MGU, and other Band-in-a-Box files will open directly in the program if you select them from outside the program.

Missed this option during your setup, but you'd like to apply it now? Go to File | File Utilities | Associate File types with Explorer within the program.

New Update for RealBand 2021 Available!

Do you use RealBand (included in all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases)? Download the latest free update, which resolves a small viewing issue for Windows 11 users.

When you download the latest update for RealBand 2021, it will add all the updates we've made this year. See the full list here.

Ear Training Games in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

October 1, 2021 is National Kids Music Day!

Head to the Practice Window in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, and you'll see fun games that are fun ear training options for kids: Music Replay & Pitch Invasion.

Of course, you don't have to be a kid to like these games, I think there a fun way to learn at any age!

Music Replay is just what it sounds like - the program plays a 1-bar melody, and the user plays it back. Get it right, and you'll keep building that melody (and skill) within the game - get it wrong, and you'll be met with a warning tone and have to try again... it's quite addictive, and a lot of fun!

If you like a classic arcade game, then you'll love Pitch Invasion! We've managed to incorporate aliens with pitch-recognition skills in this exciting game, where you'll match the pitch of the alien ship descending towards your planet trying to destroy your collection of instruments - match the pitch and you've saved your instruments, make a mistake and the ship keeps coming... you'll have a few tries to get it right, if you're quick, but if all your instruments are destroyed - it's game over! The game speeds up as your skills improve, and you'll earn points along the way, with bonus points available throughout the game.

Open up your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows today to give it a try!

These ear training games are also included in Musical Arcade for Windows.

How to Make Backing Tracks with Band-in-a-Box®, by Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Nick Kellie recently got his hands on the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac, and put together this video showing off just how easy it is to make backing tracks in Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box Demo - How to make backing tracks

The Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Works Great in Windows® 11!

Simon did it again - another test in Windows 11! See how well the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin works with Windows® 11 in his latest video: The Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Works Great in Windows® 11!

Forum Stats
34989 Members
66 Forums
71233 Topics
617667 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Zandormaz, L.René, Bluest Blues, dautfred, mercabusca

34989 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
swingbabymix 315
Pipeline 291