Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#676869 - 10/08/21 07:07 AM [User Showcase] Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid)
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Hometown Refugee

Here’s our first J&B post in nearly two months. We’ve long felt this tune had video possibilities so after a recent remix we decided to attempt it. Photographs (other than Peter’s) and video clips were shot with my iPhone 12 in three local small towns.

Bud would like to thank Janice for tolerating lip syncing for two vids* in short order, smile Peter for his guitar and photo and PG Music for making all this possible. And a shoutout to floyd for feedback and encouragement and to Marty for lip syncing counsel.

Your time to watch and comment are both welcomed and appreciated.

*Later we will post a video of Emerald (our recent collaboration with Scott and Ray). We mention it because our video work on it gave us encouragement to attempt another.

Video tech stuff: edited via Filmora, iMovie and Snapseed.
Audio tech stuff:
Janice: vocal > Rode NT1 mic > Scarlett 212 interface > Logic Pro X > Izotope Nectar
Peter: Guitar solo, turnaround, fills and rhythm

Bass: RT 2877 Americana / Waves Bass Rider / Izotope Neutron
Drums: RD Americana roots (toms - no kick) Waves CLA Drums / EMT 140 reverb
Guitar: RT 2878 electric rhythm
Pedal Steel: RT 2866 rhythm

Mixed in Logic Pro X
Mastering: (Izotope Ozone9 adv modules) EQ > Multiband Compressor > Imager > Maximizer > Tonal Balance > Logic Loudness Meter

© 2021 B. Merritt, J. Merritt & P. Fulham

#676878 - 10/08/21 08:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Janice, Bud & Peter,

Hometown Refugee is an absolute GEM!

I can truly appreciate all of the effort that went into this song and video.

You should all be very proud of this special creation.

Bob

#676883 - 10/08/21 08:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
Very Nice!

Beautiful song & excellent instrumentation.

Guitar is tasteful and compelling.

Janice's vocals shine as usual.

The mix is perfect and the video work is outstanding!

I guess you could say..............I LIKE IT!

Well done everyone.

moto

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#676892 - 10/08/21 09:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very cool song and video. Janice did an awesome job with the vocal and the video. Super production. I see this one is in Vimeo. Is it better than having it on youtube

#676894 - 10/08/21 09:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Frankp Offline
Apprentice

This vocal just shines in this mix, with great singing, and mixed perfectly.

Love the guitar playing, love the video.

Now, I'm going to watch it again.

Some tunes from me and my collaborator: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvGqM6ktMW5ltTnyit1KWPg/videos

Band-in-a-Box Ultrapak 2019, Windows 10, Reaper, Behringer u-phoria UMC404HD, Kali LP-8

#676898 - 10/08/21 10:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Veteran

Team,
Deep. Sad. Emotional. Beautiful! Amazing tune in all respects. Very vivid musical and visual reflection of our rural towns and time we live through. Excellent job of putting this together. One of your best songs this year. Bud, you got an eye for shooting and editing video. You definitely should do more. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#676904 - 10/08/21 12:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina

Wow ya'll this is really cool all around!

Nice video!!

Hey, is that your house???

I think I am finally beginning to understand why you guys are always singing the blues.

smile

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#676924 - 10/08/21 02:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Great audio and video, a real treat for eyes and ears! Very professional looking. Super job!

#676926 - 10/08/21 02:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: rsdean]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice, Bud & Peter,

Hometown Refugee is an absolute GEM!

I can truly appreciate all of the effort that went into this song and video.

You should all be very proud of this special creation.

Bob

Thank you Bob. And thanks for mentioning the effort. It was both fun AND quite tedious with the syncing.

We most appreciate your thoughts!

J&B

#676956 - 10/08/21 06:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: CaptainMoto]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Very Nice!

Beautiful song & excellent instrumentation.

Guitar is tasteful and compelling.

Janice's vocals shine as usual.

The mix is perfect and the video work is outstanding!

I guess you could say..............I LIKE IT!

Well done everyone.

moto

Thanks man. Those are very nice and supportive comments and are appreciated!

J&B

#676957 - 10/08/21 06:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
AMAZING.
The song lyrics, arrangement, elaboration by Peter and those occasional and emotive blue notes perfectly placed by Janice.
The Mix? ACE!
Video...this makes me glad.
It's a sad story and song but the video is a triumph.
Almost out of nowhere comes a glimpse at another facet of the team that is Bud & Janice - something that gladdens me.
peter you did a superb job of matching and enhancing the mood.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#676958 - 10/08/21 06:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
NigelSpiers Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
Hi Guys,

Very good song and great chorus and lyrics.

Well done to all of you.

Best Regards
Nigel

#676971 - 10/08/21 08:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Gary Weder Offline
Journeyman

OMG There I go wafting on as usual. Thank goodness for the edit button.

I enjoyed the music and the video . All around bona fide talent to the max.
cheers
Gary.

Edited by Gary Weder (10/12/21 06:28 PM)

#676977 - 10/08/21 09:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
Deej56 Offline
Expert

Loc: Mill Valley, California USA
J&B and Peter;

Wonderful production—all the elements are stellar: vocal, percussions, bass . . . everything . Terrific work on the video—I have no idea how that type of thing is done. Congrats on branching out so impressively.

My best to you all,

Deej

#677009 - 10/09/21 03:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
vicarn Offline
Journeyman

Lovely song from you all with a good mix.
Maybe too busy on the drums but maybe that's just for me.
Vic

Edited by vicarn (10/09/21 03:32 AM)

#677020 - 10/09/21 06:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Midwest
Can we just agree that the song, production and performance are all stellar? Cool! I always comment on those aspects because y'all dominate in those areas. cool

That being said, did the video meet those same standards? In my opinion, it was @%&^'$ awesome! Hmmm...I got censored. Let me try this another way. That video @%&^'$ blew me away! Ok. Moving on I guess. cry

Seriously, that brought it to the next level on every level. Janice is a natural at everything; that's obvious. I don't think you can teach someone how to sing like OR connect with a camera like that. Sure you can mimic it, like butter and "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" (I can believe it's not) but there's always something missing that makes it "real," authentic, and genuine. Most people would categorize those as synonyms, but I do feel they have very subtle differences to me. She is every subtle variation.

Video-I loved the choice of going to the "black and white" and all the shades that come with that side of things. At times, I feel the use of color may dictate an emotion as much as anything else; without realizing it, possibly into an emotion you're not intending. Your choice added TO the emotion and emphasized the feel without dictating it. I believe you know that many time I prefer to listen to a song without seeing the video at the same time. I made an exception here knowing your goal. Amazing! To me, this added to the song in every way. It was subtle, but never boring. The angles, the use of motion, composition, all masterfully done. I don't know how much you had to pay the wind, but you even had that workin' for ya! Now, I'm not going claim to be even remotely educated in these areas; but I do have to frame drone shots often enough. All I can say is, I felt major connection to the song BECAUSE of the video!

"Nothing lasts forever" in the cemetery, then even more so by what was a VERY large tree that is no longer there strikes every aspect of that moment. Speechless! SO, powerful. I don't believe that is an image I will ever forget. I sincerely believe made into a print, that image would strike a chord with so many people. Truly amazing!

How crazy is it that we can do this with a little device we carry around with us...and this isn't even it's primary use? These are the parts of technology I love. Especially in the hands of people who strive to use it to connect people.

Well, I'll end it there for now. My daughter was just telling me if I put a period between each letter I can type pretty much anything and the bots won't censor it. So here we go with my earlier comments using this technique...
In my opinion, it was R.E.A.L.L.Y awesome!
That video R.E.A.L.L.Y blew me away!
What do you know...it worked! grin

Edited by HearToLearn (10/09/21 07:26 AM)
As people have left the "." out so many times, "Caaron" has become the norm of it. Still said as the "." was there though. smile

#677024 - 10/09/21 07:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
jptjptjpt Offline
Expert

Wow! What a major production. What a great mix on the song. I loved the slight reverb of it all. Well written tune. Vocals were outstanding. The video was so well done. The shot of Janice sitting on a cut tree at the cemetery while singing "nothing lasts" was very poignant and pure art. Peter's guitar work is always thrilling.

Bravo!

Great collaboration.

https://youtu.be/JwblUfdbsEk

My music can be heard at: http://thecracks.bandcamp.com/

#677025 - 10/09/21 07:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Expert

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Oh, you already know I LOVE THIS, and the video is a great touch. What a great song. As always the mix is masterfully done, the playing is outstanding, and the vocals cannot be better. Great choices on the supporting cast as well. You guys are my favorite band.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper & Cakewalk

#677059 - 10/09/21 11:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Scott C]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool song and video. Janice did an awesome job with the vocal and the video. Super production. I see this one is in Vimeo. Is it better than having it on youtube

Thanks Scott!

I'll send you an email explaining our move from YT to Vimeo.

J&B

#677062 - 10/09/21 12:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Hometown Refugee ("performance" vid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Janice, Bud and Peter.

This is incredible. The sound of the production is stunning and the video raises the bar somewhere out past Jupiter.

Janice's vocals are absolutely extraordinary and Peter's guitar solo is so smooth and so easy on the ears.

I compliment Bud's iphone and video editing skills, too. The final presentation is a one-hundred-percent engaging production.

Super super superb entertainment.

All the best,
Noel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Enhance Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Installation

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows users - update for FREE today!

We've added a new "record using" option within the Audio Settings dialog, and updated many existing features based on user feedback.

This free update also includes the most recent build of our DAW Plugin (3.9.12).

Learn more about this free update and download it today.

Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Band-in-a-Box® File Associations

You may have noticed when you were installing Band-in-a-Box® for Windows that you were asked if you would like to Associate Band-in-a-Box songs and styles with Band-in-a-Box? But, what does that mean?

It's actually pretty simple - basically, if you select this option while you're installing the program, files with the extensions .SGU, .MGU, and other Band-in-a-Box files will open directly in the program if you select them from outside the program.

Missed this option during your setup, but you'd like to apply it now? Go to File | File Utilities | Associate File types with Explorer within the program.

New Update for RealBand 2021 Available!

Do you use RealBand (included in all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases)? Download the latest free update, which resolves a small viewing issue for Windows 11 users.

When you download the latest update for RealBand 2021, it will add all the updates we've made this year. See the full list here.

Ear Training Games in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

October 1, 2021 is National Kids Music Day!

Head to the Practice Window in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, and you'll see fun games that are fun ear training options for kids: Music Replay & Pitch Invasion.

Of course, you don't have to be a kid to like these games, I think there a fun way to learn at any age!

Music Replay is just what it sounds like - the program plays a 1-bar melody, and the user plays it back. Get it right, and you'll keep building that melody (and skill) within the game - get it wrong, and you'll be met with a warning tone and have to try again... it's quite addictive, and a lot of fun!

If you like a classic arcade game, then you'll love Pitch Invasion! We've managed to incorporate aliens with pitch-recognition skills in this exciting game, where you'll match the pitch of the alien ship descending towards your planet trying to destroy your collection of instruments - match the pitch and you've saved your instruments, make a mistake and the ship keeps coming... you'll have a few tries to get it right, if you're quick, but if all your instruments are destroyed - it's game over! The game speeds up as your skills improve, and you'll earn points along the way, with bonus points available throughout the game.

Open up your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows today to give it a try!

These ear training games are also included in Musical Arcade for Windows.

How to Make Backing Tracks with Band-in-a-Box®, by Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Nick Kellie recently got his hands on the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac, and put together this video showing off just how easy it is to make backing tracks in Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box Demo - How to make backing tracks

The Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Works Great in Windows® 11!

Simon did it again - another test in Windows 11! See how well the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin works with Windows® 11 in his latest video: The Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Works Great in Windows® 11!

Forum Stats
34989 Members
66 Forums
71233 Topics
617673 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Zandormaz, L.René, Bluest Blues, dautfred, mercabusca

34989 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
swingbabymix 315
Pipeline 291