Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I often like using styles that I wouldn't choose by myself, e.g. in order to enhance my own musical spectrum or in order to get unconventional results which might be surprisingly good. But when I go to the Style Picker window to pick a Style, I then often take just one of the top listed Styles or a Style that sounds interesting by its name. Therefore I'd find it nice, if the Dropdown-Menu of the Main Window's Style Picker Button would include an option "Random from all available Styles".

BiaB Pro 2022; Windows 10
Bass: Intermediate; Piano: Beginner
I came to this forum in order to suggest feature improvements for non-professional musicians like myself that use BiaB mainly as a playalong tool and as a learning tool
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MoveToGroove
... Therefore I'd find it nice, if the Dropdown-Menu of the Main Window's Style Picker Button would include an option "Random from all available Styles".

You can do that already. Set a list of available styles, scroll up/down through the list and randomly stop at any particular one. I tried it, it works.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
haha - manually scrolling and manually stopping is not the same than letting the software pick randomly :-) That's what makes me as described ending up mainly at the same styles (might be a mental thing), and takes more clicks.

Well, it's just a sugggestion for Playalong purposes.

I came to this forum in order to suggest feature improvements for non-professional musicians like myself that use BiaB mainly as a playalong tool and as a learning tool
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
haha - manually scrolling and manually stopping is not the same than letting the software pick randomly :-) That's what makes me as described ending up mainly at the same styles (might be a mental thing), and takes more clicks.

Well, it's just a suggestion for Play along purposes.

BIAB does pick for you. Just not Randomly. BIAB has multiple search features. If you want random and you're selecting by 'interesting names' simply don't select any search parameters and choose to audition styles from the entire list that have 'interesting names'.

I've missed your point and any of its potential benefits. Search parameters are meant to narrow a list to similar styles and parameters. If you find an 'interesting named' style and want similar styles to that interesting named style, BIAB can specifically do that.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
My mistake - sorry, I didn't explain good enough. So I try again :-)

Sometimes I do want to playalong with a style that is completely random. But since there is no option yet to let the software pick a style randomly, I have to open the style picker, scroll down manually and stop somewhere for picking a style. But what a person finally picks this way is not really random. It's influenced by selective perception, scrolling habits, unconscious laziness and so on. Therefore I'd find it nice if the option would exist that BiaB can pick a style ramdomly.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Good idea

+1

If I could add to this suggestion it would be to add and up and down arrows next to the style playing in your song. That way you could change to the next or previous style while still in the chord window. The selection of styles would be determined in the styles window, i.e. rock, 4/4, swing, etc.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
My mistake - sorry, I didn't explain good enough. So I try again :-)

Sometimes I do want to playalong with a style that is completely random. But since there is no option yet to let the software pick a style randomly, I have to open the style picker, scroll down manually and stop somewhere for picking a style. But what a person finally picks this way is not really random. It's influenced by selective perception, scrolling habits, unconscious laziness and so on. Therefore I'd find it nice if the option would exist that BiaB can pick a style ramdomly.

Oh OK, I get it. BIAB can do this.

Yes, there is an option to let the software pick a style randomly without opening The StylePicker Page. BIAB can easily do this and it's totally random because the StylePicker defaults to using the last used Search Parameter, whatever it may be. Thus, based on whatever was previously chosen when the StylePicker was last closed, that will be the random search unless the StylePicker is on the All setting and displaying all of the Styles contained in your StylePicker ...

This random search without ever opening The StylePicker is done by selecting StylePicker Styles for auditions entirely from the Main Page Chord Chart by using the Main Page Styles Icon sub menu.

The Main Page Song Settings; Start, end, choruses, feel, time signature, key and tempo can be whatever you set or use the Style defaults. You never see what the StylePicker Page displays so it's completely random.

01. Open a new or existing project
02. input chords or load a song or demo as desired
03. Set Song Settings if necessary
04. Rt. Click on the Styles Icon
05. Select Load Next Style or Load Previous Style as desired or randomly...
06. Click Play to audition the Style
07. Repeat 4-6 to continue randomly auditioning Styles from the StylePicker list.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Styles.png (33.53 KB, 110 downloads)
Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 10/10/21 06:10 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Good idea

+1

If I could add to this suggestion it would be to add and up and down arrows next to the style playing in your song. That way you could change to the next or previous style while still in the chord window. The selection of styles would be determined in the styles window, i.e. rock, 4/4, swing, etc.

This is done using the option to select Next or Previous from the Styles Icon submenu.... You never leave the Main Page Chord Sheet Page and all of the Style parameters are editable.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

This is done using the option to select Next or Previous from the Styles Icon submenu.... You never leave the Main Page Chord Sheet Page and all of the Style parameters are editable.

Charlie, thanx for opening my eyes! I never clicked on that down arrow; I thought it brought up the same style menu. The old dog learned a new trick.

Thanx again.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Charlie, that's still not random. Many styles of the same kind begin with the same name "Jazz ABC" - "Jazz BDE" and so on.

Well, this request is just a minor wish, nothing that's very important to me. But it's quickly scripted, I guess, so I thought I should just bring it up.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I can't imagine why you want this, since you could easily go from Elvis to samba to Mozart to polka. I think having some structure to within some search parameter makes sense, and that's what we have now.

But this is the Wishlist, and you're entitled to ask for what makes you want to make music, so +1.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Matt, to force myself to play various styles when I do playalongs.
Since you can learn from each style and since that also widens your evoked set. If you choose yourself all the time, you have the tendency to skip what's not matching your mood and to mostly play your favourite styles.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
With hundreds of options already available from the current BiaB menus and sub-menus, I personally would not prefer to see another menu item added if this was avoidable.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I can't imagine why you want this, since you could easily go from Elvis to samba to Mozart to polka.

Exactly. Making for quite a useful challenge to adapt one's playing.

I would welcome a feature like this myself, provided it didn't complicate the interface.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I’m not against it; I just think it’s so open ended as to not be useful. But this is a Wishlist, so I’m ok.

I do see some value. As a young musician growing up in a remote area, I played along to the radio. It definitely sharpens listening skills. But at least I knew some range of what genres I might expect from each station. That’s why I think we already have what we need. BIAB already has a lot of menu choices.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hm, is the current menu entry "Load Previous Style (alphabetically)" needed at all - in addition to "Load Next Style (alphabetically)"? Maybe just replacing "Load Previeous Style (alphabetically)" by "Load Random Style", so it wouldn't cause a higher number of menu entries than there already exist. But, well, as I said, this is just a minor suggestion, nothing that I'm deeply affected by.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Well let's hope they implement it soon... maybe 2022 or 2023..

Full Screen

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
yep wink

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I’m not against it; I just think it’s so open ended as to not be useful.

The father of composer Charles Ives used to have the family sing hymns together in different, unrelated keys, while he played along on the piano in yet another key, for ear training.

Whether or not that technique was useful might depend on what you think of what it did to Ives' ears.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes

The father of composer Charles Ives used to have the family sing hymns together in different, unrelated keys, while he played along on the piano in yet another key, for ear training.

Haha - interesting idea!
Reminds me to a Tony Toni Toné Song: Tonyies! in the Wrong Key"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-YL8zbGTzk

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195