Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#660544 06/15/21 03:22 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
drm Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Posts for BIAB in Linux go back over more than a decade.

We can understand that porting might be difficult. They likely tied themselves to some windows API and microsoft C++, and now they feel stuck.

Even so, PGmusic could at least include a Wine environment in their test suite.

Long term, I would suggest migrating to a Qt based API and standard C++. You can easily abstract and isolate the few os specific things in a small number of conditionals.

It is not as big a job as it might seem at first take and the benefits are obvious.

Python would take about 1/5 the time of doing it even that way. But I don't expect you do that for something you want to keep proprietary,

Last edited by drm; 06/15/21 03:23 AM.
drm #660561 06/15/21 04:17 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I would suggest migrating to a Qt based API and standard C++. You can easily abstract and isolate the few os specific things in a small number of conditionals.

It is not as big a job as it might seem at first take and the benefits are obvious.

Definitely appreciate your ambition and don't wish to jump on that, but given your statement, I wasn't so sure that this would be so straightforward. Do you have some inside information? Can you give some insights as to how this could be so easily achieved?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
drm #663020 07/05/21 10:08 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
It's running good natively on Linux in wine after first trying in VirtualBox, it's near as quick as on Windows.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3y2wjiuxn8t0tov/Biab-Ubuntu-Crossover.mp4?dl=0
The 2 issues are still unresolved,
1. Windows Media Player to play demos (this has been a nightmare trying to get it integrated)
2. CoyoteDXi needed to render in the BBPlugin

I don't know if the Coyote uses the gm.dls but if I load windows\system32\drivers\gm.dls into VstSynthFont it works.

They are the 2 issues that need resolving for Linux users.
The wmp can be fixed by adding an internal Delphi player into bbw/bbw4 like http://www.geocities.ws/jovi9200/

The Coyote issue preventing bbw4 to render can be fixed by getting bbw4 to use a soundfont without the DXi.

Copying the wmpXXXX.dll's from windows\system32 to wine windows\system32 and registering them gives the wmp demo buttons in the picker windows, it don't play but it prevents errors when opening the picker windows.

The sync playback is in-sync with the track in the DAW.

If anyone has a solution for these issues please post.

Full Screen

Got the current version Plugin running now, in Reaper it's using LinVst .

drm #663063 07/06/21 05:55 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Pipeline,

To clarify, do you mean the main Band-in-a-Box for Windows program or the Band-in-a-Box for Windows VST plugin works in Linux in Wine? Your screen shots appear to be using the Band-in-a-Box for Windows VST plugin.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Jim Fogle #663095 07/06/21 12:30 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

drm #675944 10/02/21 04:44 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
I've been meaning to try this for some time, but other stuff has been getting in the way.

I've just installed my go-to music Linux(AVL-MXE) on my home-office PC, swapped out LinVst for yabridge, set up wine, installed qsynth and the sound fonts from JJazzLab and installed BIAB. I've also installed the trial versions of EZBass, EZDrums and EZKeys from Toontrack.

I installed BIAB (presently the build-838 download copy, not yet activated), with a couple of complaints from it, but a mostly successful install AFAICS.

Started jack and qsynth.

Started BIAB(64). It complains "can't find sound font file GM.DLS" (I've see something somewhere about that)
Tried a few MIDI output options until one worked. Set up a simple 12-bar blues with the default style and hit play.
It plays! Sounds good, CPU load about 16% on this rather old i7.

So far, so good.

At the moment it baulks (unhandled exception) when I try to "browse styles with info", so I have a problem there. That may be an install fail, or related to the Windows Media Player issues pipeline mentions as I haven't yet installed WMP. VCL media player plays the demo .wma files just fine, but that may not help BIAB demoing. I'll start with the update to 842 and see where I go from there.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Gordon Scott #675987 10/02/21 11:31 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Yes the yabridge is better as it has the drag n drop working now so it will drag wav mid out of the BBPlugin into the DAW.
When you go to Generate in the BBPlugin it stops as bbw4 gets an error can't find CoyoteDXi
BBOutput.txt (to get the trace in SavedTracks you need to have a txt file "PreserveAllFiles.txt" in \bb\BBPlugin)
Code:
;Error #-29, CoyoteWT Wavetable synth not installed. Cannot render file. Please install it, by running menu Help-Install CoyoteWT inside Band-in-a-Box.

Hopefully PG will add an internal wma demo player and fix the bbw4 so it's not looking for CoyoteDXi.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BBPlugin-yabridge-drag2.gif (360.8 KB, 183 downloads)
drm #676410 10/05/21 03:15 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
At least part of my BiaB on Wine not working properly is a missing GM.DLL on my system, which winetricks presently fails to install due to a checksum mismatch. Maybe that's a temporary issue. I'm not so sure that the whole problem as when trying to open the "styles with info" I get a different type of error report.

I'm running the 64-bit Wine, which may be a contributory factor. All the Toontrack stuff I've tried so far seems to work very well, though it's still early yet and there are several areas I've yet to try.

Edit: Scaler2 also seems to work just fine.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 10/05/21 09:12 AM.

Gordon Scott #676508 10/05/21 01:50 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
In the Biab wine folder put these in the Windows\System32

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qx9k87ybh4dyudl/wmp-dll.zip?dl=1

these will give the play demo buttons that won't work but will allow the Style Picker to open.

Pipeline #676592 10/06/21 07:18 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
In the Biab wine folder put these in the Windows\System32
Ah, OK. I actually did a Biab-64 install, so I guess I may have either to revert to 32-bit or find the equivalent 64-bit versions.

I'll simply try as you say first, but expect to be disappointed.
I have the list of files, so I'll try a few things.

Thanks pipeline.

Edit: Ah ... actually they may be 64-bit-compatible versions and I believe I may just copy wmp.dll (or maybe all files) to syswow64.

With just the above, StylePicker opens OK, uses MIDI styles OK but doesn't presently use RealStyles. I'll play around some more.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 10/06/21 07:41 AM.

Gordon Scott #676612 10/06/21 10:48 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I was using Crossover but the demo has ended so I open the wine 64bit install and it got the same error so I copied the wmp dll's from crossover and the Style picker opened, this is the same for the other picker windows, anything with the integrated window media player.

Pipeline #676613 10/06/21 10:57 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I am using the Audiophile wav version, I don't think the wma worked as again it needs the window media decoder to decode the wma to wav for Biab to use.
There is a decompress.exe or decompress.zip in one of the bb folders, though there should be a button in the pickers to decompress the wma RT RD to wav.

drm #676629 10/06/21 12:06 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
I've read elsewhere that converting the .wma files to .wav files solves some propblem like that. I may just try a few and see what happens.

The 32-bit version does pick RealStyles, though didn't actually play them. The latter may be simply that it didn't offer wineasio, so maybe I don't have that installed.

If I get back to this tomorrow, I'll check for a wineasio and I'll try installing the rest of the wmp.dll file set into syswow64.

I still have that GM.DLS checksum mismatch. I'll just try that periodically for now to see if it gets fixed, otherwise I'll get more proactive with it.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 10/08/21 01:32 AM.

Gordon Scott #676640 10/06/21 12:39 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Do one RealTrack folder and one RealDrum folder then just generate those two tracks.
I think I set VstSynthFont as the default midi device.

drm #676920 10/08/21 11:11 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
I tried converting one RealTrack folder, using ffmpeg in a script and copying the wma file to .wma.bk. BiaB then complained that it couldn't find the .wma files, so perhaps the ability to use .wav is special to the audiophile edition. I restored the .wma files, it found them again, but of course still can't/won't play them. I may have hit a dead end with that for now.

I've done only a minimal installation at the moment. I may install more and see how the MIDI SuperTracks behave.

Ordinary MIDI playing through qsynth with the JJazzLab sound font sounds quite good, though I haven't yet tried any brass and brass is usually a disappointment via MIDI.

Gordon Scott #676928 10/08/21 11:47 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
in the RealTracks folder root create an empty txt file "AudiophileVersion.txt"

I think you can run Decompress.exe in the instrument folder and it should just decompress that folder.

drm #677053 10/09/21 07:46 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
I don't have a compress.exe or a decompress.exe in my bb paths.

It does occur to me that the reason my use of ffmpeg to decompress didn't work out is because I imagine all the files ending .bt0 contain index data into the related .wma files. I suspect decompress.exe also generates the matching .bt0 files, or their equivalents.

It seems also that when trying to demo some RealTracks, BiaB is going to the pgmusic website and using a .wma from there, which again, of course, doesn't play.

I seem to be having some general issue with winetricks and checksums, which may well be complicating the whole thing, so I'll ask on the MX-Linux site for advice.

drm #677210 10/10/21 07:52 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
I think that does exactly the same as ffmpeg did. I did the decompress, tried it, then renamed the .wma files as .wma.bk and tried again. At present, still the same.

I wondered for a while if the problem was with audio output, not BiaB's handling of the RealTrack files, but opening one of the .wav file into an audio track demonstrated that those are playable.

Whenever I try to run even a solo track with one of the .wav instruments, I get a bunch of those Yellow pop-up windows in the bottom-right corner. Too many to read and and I can't presently find a log of what they say, not get rem reliably, nor copy and paste the content ... frustrating. One of them says something like RAcG.ST2 file couldn't be found, and/or the .wma file couldn't be found either on this machine, or on the pgmusic demos server.

.ST2 files seem to be in bb/Soloists and it's correct that that file doesn't exist there. As they seem to contain data about the soloists, maybe the file missing is of no consequence.

If I right-click a musician in the mixer window and click Select Real Tracks, I'm offered a list, but the one I've chosen says "N/A" and the next time is not displayed (If have the show-NA checkbox unchecked). Trying a "Rebuild and Fix" tries to do something but complains that the .ST2 and .XT2 files are missing. It says to either find them and copy them into bb/Soloists, or reinstall BiaB.

I haven't yet registered this copy as I'd like to get it reasonably working before I do that. AFAIAA there's nothing from the Pro version that's disabled prior to registration, so I think that is not the problem.

Gordon Scott #677220 10/10/21 10:25 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
So you have the "AudiophileVersion.txt", you don't need to rename the .wma just leave them and it should choose .wav
Did you run the installer or copy the bb folder from win drive ?
You can try and copy the bb folder directly from the Windows machine.
You can hit the printscreen button to read the yellow flash popups or
C:\bb\Data\bbw4_64exe_FlashMessageLog.txt

Pipeline #677356 10/11/21 09:12 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
So you have the "AudiophileVersion.txt", you don't need to rename the .wma just leave them and it should choose .wav
I have. I had put it just into the RealTracks folder, but I've now also copied it first to the bb folder and then to the Drums folder. The first of those looked like it changes something as the yellow pop-up appeared different.

EDIT: as adding this/these file did not solve the problem, after getting things working I tried removing all AudiophileEdition.txt files and the .wav tracks still play as expected.

Did you run the installer or copy the bb folder from win drive ?
You can try and copy the bb folder directly from the Windows machine.

I installed it. I'll try copying (I'm not sure there's enough space at present, but most will likely copy OK. I'm considering rebuilding this whole machine with an SSD, so if this works out OK, I'll ensure the AVL:MXE partition has enough space. The copying takes a while ... at least a couple of hours as I write.

You can hit the printscreen button to read the yellow flash popups or
C:\bb\Data\bbw4_64exe_FlashMessageLog.txt

Ah ... found that. It may appear both there and/or
bb/Data/Logs/bbw4_64exe_FlashMessageLog.txt
though as I'm part way ythrough the copy, I may have replaced them with older files.

There are also a few other *og.txt files that may be useful, though some are from 2020, so presumably obsolete. I'd previously been searching only for files ending .log .Log or .LOG

-----------------------8<--------------------------
OK, copy complete.

Oh, wow, the RealTrack is playing!

A quick check of a non-.wav file does not play, so presumably I will have to decompress all the .wma files. I've just used ffmpeg to decompress the drum track and that now also plays.

This copy is still not activated ... presumably PG do some kind of validation against hardware (or its simulation).

I wonder if I can prove which changes were needed and which were not. I shall try some tests.

Thank you so much for your help and patience, pipeline.

I'll report further finding here.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 10/16/21 12:58 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200