Page 1 of 2 1 2
Songwriting
C
colinb1 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
Hi - I hope someone can give me a definitive answer on this one.
I've put a track together using BIAB Realtracks and uploaded it to Tunecore for distribution. This morning I received an email from them which said:

"We have determined that the above release contains audio which violates third party rights. Any time you remix a recording you did not previously record yourself, you MUST have a license from the owner of that original recording, as well as a license from the publisher showing rights to create a derivative work."

So where does that leave me when I use Band In A Box to write and record a song? Looking online I am led to believe that when you buy & use Band In A Box that the tracks are free to use.

I'd be grateful for any helpful comments as I negotiate with Tunecore.

Thanks
Colin

Songwriting
C
colinb1 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
This is what PG Music had to say this morning.

"he arrangements made by Band-in-a-Box, RealBand, and PowerTracks are yours, and your songs may be used freely as long as they don't infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others, such as with cover songs. https://www.pgmusic.com/salesfaq5.htm#23

The following add-ons are under PG Music Inc. copyright:

Band-in-a-Box demo songs
Performance Series songs
MIDI Fakebooks (except the Sound Tracks MIDI Fakebooks)
PowerTracks MultiTracks

So in other words, you cannot use Band-in-a-Box to make a cover song and then claim it as your own. And you cannot use the list of items above as your own song."

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
"We have determined that the above release contains audio which violates third party rights"

Is it possible they are matching your song to someone else's BIAB song that uses the same tracks? Maybe you got unfairly flagged for "sampling".

Perhaps Tunecore just needs to be advised it's a BIAB track, and that this sort of match is to be expected.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

I also submitted a request to hear a definitive PG Music ruling on a question someone else raised about "sound recording" rights as opposed to "copyright" in another thread.

The way the industry is going with so many new rules each year, I would love to have an up to date statement on both.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=668455#Post668455

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Assuming that you do in fact have an original song and not a cover....

Perhaps your tune has a melody line in it that is close to a copyrighted song. I was understanding, and perhaps that is not correct, that you can request an override and ask a person to review the issue.

I've heard that BiaB created tunes are being flagged in this manner. I personally have not had that happen.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
From a technical perspective what would a algorithm “look” for to flag a BiaB track in an original song?

Obviously not rhythm tracks and while BiaB solos can be regened and comped to get them supportive and compatible with your melody I find it hard to imagine they are flagged as “stealing” a melody from a copyrighted tune.

FWIW

Bud

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
From a technical perspective what would a algorithm “look” for to flag a BiaB track in an original song?

Obviously not rhythm tracks and while BiaB solos can be regened and comped to get them supportive and compatible with your melody I find it hard to imagine they are flagged as “stealing” a melody from a copyrighted tune.

FWIW

Bud

Similar note sequences..... think of the My Sweet Lord fiasco over 3 notes. The algorithm spiders search all the new content posted and flag things it thinks are copies/violations. I think they are getting pretty good at that.... there was an app that was out years ago that would identify a song in a few notes and it was fairly accurate.

www.herbhartley.com

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
So if an RT solo had three notes that duplicated three in a song within whatever database the programmers used it could get flagged? That oughta keep em busy!

Bud

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I would interpret your song as being in copyright violation if your song performance consists only of a solo track. Realtracks normally are not distributed in isolation but as part of an ensemble performance. Assuming the solo is included in an ensemble performance, no.

If the solo comes from a Soloist RealTrack then it is governed by the RealTrack rules but if it comes from somewhere else like PG Music's Master Class Series then there is another set of rules.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
4 years ago I "borrowed" a Gong sound. Uploaded to my Soundcloud to store it briefly, and it was immediately flagged. It was nothing more that a few seconds of a single gong hit. I tried to delete it but I apparently uploaded it again, and again it was flagged. To this day I have never been able to delete these two flagged files. crazy

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
gong.JPG (22.16 KB, 228 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Songwriting
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi. I have an entire catalogue on Tunecore and I have never been questioned. Not all of my songs are BIAB but a few are. One thing you did not mention is "are you doing an original song or a cover"? I've done my own versions of covers with BIAB (Walk On By, Ooh Baby Baby) and distributed through Tunecore. However, I secured copyright permission through Tunecore before the music was distributed. So in essence even if you're doing a cover with your own version it's still considered a copyright violation unless you secured the rights. My original songs that I wrote with the assistance of BIAB have never been questioned. Also they are vocal driven songs. I'm also not sure if your song is instrumental or not. It appears that some way your melody was flagged. I'm sure you can put in a help ticket and ask them to clarify. They usually get back to you pretty quickly. The sites have seriously clamped down on copyrighted material. I've gotten copyright warnings on my YouTube Channel for my OWN songs. Because Tunecore is also my Publisher they actually have YouTube and Facebook rights (which I granted) to my own songs. Again if you believe this is in error submit a ticket and have them explain ... or go to DistroKid .. :-)

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Colin,

Did you by any chance include the names of the musicians who recorded the Realtracks (e.g. Guitar: Brent Mason)?

This has sometimes stopped songs from being accepted.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Dan, a gong hit? Really?

How does one determine and prove that the single sound is my gong and not your gong? Gongs are not unlimited in size, and there are only so many ways to strike them. Someone copyrighted a single gong hit?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Spooky stuff. I have a song on Youtube that I used BIAB on and someone claimed copyright ownership on one little part of it so Youtube flagged it. (The video link is below. The song is "I Won't Be Home Tonight".) I appealed and I am still awaiting a final ruling. The company makes a living off of claiming other peoples work as its own, from what I read.

Last edited by jptjptjpt; 08/28/21 09:38 AM. Reason: Added info about the song flagged.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Dan, a gong hit? Really?

How does one determine and prove that the single sound is my gong and not your gong? Gongs are not unlimited in size, and there are only so many ways to strike them. Someone copyrighted a single gong hit?

I mean this is like searching for the proverbial needle in a haystack.... however.... your gong hit and my gong hit... played in two different gongs of the same size....and even on the same exact gong...... and hit with the same force and the same mallet.... might sound the same..... but... if you decide to go forensic on the file, down to the bit level.... that's where you WILL see either a difference or an exact match. If it's an exact match, it's been copied. I'm pretty sure, although I have not bothered to take the time to actually test this out, no two unique gong hits are going to be bit for bit exact no matter how similar they sound. there will always be a difference at that DNA level.

www.herbhartley.com

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Someone copyrighted a single gong hit?

I keep wondering about this.

Maybe as part of a samples package?

The match is presumably made using a hash or fingerprint, which wouldn't necessarily discriminate between long and short recordings. And I suppose that even identical-sounding hits would fingerprint differently using mathematical analysis, so you really could tell this gong hit from that one.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Quote:
I also submitted a request to hear a definitive PG Music ruling on a question someone else raised about "sound recording" rights as opposed to "copyright" in another thread.

You keep asking for that but it's unlikely to happen. You're asking attorneys to practice law in a Users forum.

The EULA is pretty clear on this and relevant passages have been quoted already.

Back to the OP. I'm pretty sure that there's something going on you aren't aware of and that's copyright trolls. There are companies and individuals slapping their names on everything and anything they can—everything from sample libraries to Apple Loops and beyond. The biggest offenders seem to be based in Brazil but it's not just there.

The goal is to monetize music they don't own. Here's how it works: When the bots pick up on something that they've "registered", you get a notice as do they. If YouTube, they'll try to place advertising based on these bogus claims — otherwise, they'll try to get you to pay a nominal license fee. No human interaction is involved. Because of some massive copyright suits in the EU, everyone is afraid.

The bots flagged your music and now you have to deal with it. The easiest way is to immediately explain that the tracks came from BIAB (or Apple Loops or…) and upload the appropriate ELUA. Do not explain or interpret it unless you are an attorney. The supposed claimants have a response period — YouTube and others give them 30 days; I don't know the situation here. After this period, you should be given the go ahead or reasons why someone thinks they have a valid claim.

I've lost count of the number of times this has happened to me, my friends and the churches for whom I currently work. I fight every one by uploading the correct licensing and/or copyright info and have yet to get a response disputing my claims. Lots of 30 day waiting periods, though.

Standard disclaimer: Though I have worked in music industry and IP legal departments, I am not an attorney and I am not practicing law. My views are my own and I do not represent anyone other than myself. Most especially, I do not speak for any present or former employers.

If you need legal advice, see a lawyer. User groups and online message boards are horrible places to seek legal advice.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I found the simple lead sheet, single staff w/ chords, words, and melody easier to get through the copyright office than a recording. That's why recording studios have lawyers, isn't it?

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Mike.
its sad good church people (or anyone for that matter) have to endure this bot trolling.
i guess the game is the automated bots throw up a million challenges, and hope a few people pay up.
am i correct ? is that the game ?
oddly enough as an ex cathedral choir boy , if i ever do some original worship songs its obvious i'll have to keep them off the net, in case some bot falsely targets me.

it must be a pain going through all this and of course the extra added work for you.
am i correct in thinking if someone decides to fight back via eula or other means, the bot moves on ?

best to you.
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/31/21 04:21 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Mike.
its sad good church people (or anyone for that matter) have to endure this bot trolling.
i guess the game is the automated bots throw up a million challenges, and hope a few people pay up.
am i correct ? is that the game ?
oddly enough as an ex cathedral choir boy , if i ever do some original worship songs its obvious i'll have to keep them off the net, in case some bot falsely targets me.

it must be a pain going through all this and of course the extra added work for you.
am i correct in thinking if someone decides to fight back via eula or other means, the bot moves on ?

best to you.
om

Thanks,

Yes it is sad but also a fact of life. I've helped a number of churches with it now. It's not hard but these extra steps are a time consuming PIA.

Ignoring it can cause one to lose a YouTube channel or pay a troll. Both are unacceptable, IMO.

Anyway, I'm certain that using a gong hit triggered something somewhere. Next time, filter or resample it.

On the rare occasion that someone's rights really are being stepped on, you remove your content or pay the legitimate sync license. That's doing the right thing, of course.

Best

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195