Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#677666 10/13/21 07:52 AM
Styles and RealTracks Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The four BLANK utility styles need some attention and updates.

There are three (3) blank swing styles versus one (1)blank even style.
Two (2) blank styles have a tempo of 100 and two (2) blank styles have a tempo of 120.
Two (2) blank styles are assigned to the Jazz genre and two (2) blank styles are assigned to the Pop genre.
The 'Long Name" of the four blank styles do not follow a consistent pattern.
The "BLANK34" long name does not describe if the feel is even 8, even 16, swing 8 or swing 16.
The "Other Genre" labels differ with two (2) Jazz and two (2) Pop.

May I suggest the following changes and additions:

Change "BLANK 34" feel from "sw8" to "ev8".
Change the tempo of all BLANK styles to either 100 or 120. My preference is 120.
Change the Genre of all BLANK styles to "Utility" or leave the field empty.
Change the Group of all BLANK styles to "Utility" or leave the field empty.
Change the "Other Genres" to "Utility" or leave the field empty.
Add BLANK utility styles with 16th feel to compliment the existing 8th feel BLANK utility styles.
Add BLANK 2/4 utility styles with even, swing feel and both 8th and 16 note resolution. Note this request was originally made by forum member Islansoul.

The suggested changes and additions will make it easier for user to create custom MIDI, MIDI Supertrack and RealTrack styles while starting from a clean slate.

I would like it noted that when this subject was previously mentioned Peter Gannon made this response:
Quote:
Those are good ideas, we should have every combination of silent styles
Ev8
ev16
Sw8
Sw16
... for 4/4 and 3/4

> For example, anyone have any idea how a BLANK ev8 style would differ from a BLANK ev16 style?

There are lots of places in BIAB that make use of this. For examples:
1. If you have a ev16 style loaded and want to switch to a Ev8 style, BiaB will prompt you (by a green flash message) asking you if you want to expand the chords and melody ;and double the tempo)
2. When finding best soloists, RT, chord substitutions, it will match a 16th based soloist to a 16th based style.

For Ev8, Ev16, &Sw16 vs Sw8 the same thing applies, with the addition that the notation window in Sw8 (not sw16) displays using triplets (simplifying to 8th notes for two eight notes as in jazz)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard41 Blank StylePicker.jpg (172.78 KB, 101 downloads)
StylePicker window with BLANK filter.
Last edited by Jim Fogle; 10/13/21 07:57 AM. Reason: Added Peter Gannon Comments

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Jim Fogle #677724 10/13/21 02:48 PM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I will go ahead and pass this suggestion and feedback along! Thanks so much.

Cheers,
Ember
Jim Fogle #677747 10/14/21 02:49 AM
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
+1

Jim Fogle #677977 10/15/21 04:36 PM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Jim,

The blank utility styles have been fixed and additional blank utility styles have been added. The updated files will be available soon to users. Thank you as usual for your input, it helps us very much.

Jareth
PG Music Inc.
Jim Fogle #678025 10/16/21 06:06 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Jim’s analysis is very thorough. Thanks for making these improvements.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Welcome back to the BLANK styles wishlist discussion!

As noted above Ember and Jareth of PG Music responded to my original request and two new BLANK styles were included in the 2021 release.

Thank you Ember and Jareth for adding two BLANK styles as part of the 2021 release! Also a BIG thank you for making all the BLANK style long names consistent. It's a small change that makes a BIG difference when using the StylePicker and when the style name is displayed.

However, there continues to be a need for additional BLANK styles. There are no BLANK styles for 3/4 time Even 16, 3/4 time Swing 16 and the present BLANK style set does not include any BLANK 2/4 time styles.

As mentioned in my initial post, and as can be seen in the second screen shot below, existing BLANK styles need updating to be consistent with each other when displayed in the StylePicker.

All BLANK styles should have the same default tempo. Presently BLANK style tempos are split between 90, 100 & 120 BPM. This action will consolidate all BLANK style listings when the StylePicker is sorted by Tempo.

The StylePicker "Genre", "Group" and "Other Genre" columns should indicate BLANK styles are Utility styles. Presently BLANK styles are labeled Pop or Jazz in the "Genre" and "Other Genre" columns while the "Group" column displays either Jazz 30 or POP 70. Listing all BLANK styles as Utility styles in the "Genre", "Group" and "Other Genre" columns will consolidate the BLANK style listings while also making them easier to find during a search.

All BLANK styles should reside in the same MIDI Set. Presently they are split between MIDI Sets 24 & 43. This will consolidate all the BLANK styles when the StylePicker is sorted by MIDI Set.

New gripe for 2023: Make the Memo for each BLANK style display consistent information in the StylePicker. Here is the Memo for BLANK:
Quote:
Memo: In the Stylemaker, you can easily delete an entire instrument from a 4/4 Style by importing that instrument from BLANK.STY. Also use when importing an entire tune into BB.
BLANK.STY. Blank 4/4 Even 8th Utility Style
All MIDI. Tempo=100 (80-120)
Instruments:
while here is a listing from BLANKE16:
Quote:
Memo: No Memo Found -Examples: No Examples, Genre "Intensity" Score=70/100
BLANKE16.STY. Blank 4/4 Even 16th Utility Style
All MIDI. Tempo=90 (80-100)
Instruments:

PG Music, thanks for your continual product improvement. I hope other forum members will continue to show their support for this request.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard02.jpg (205.03 KB, 39 downloads)
2023 Missing BLANK STYLES
Clipboard01.jpg (222.73 KB, 41 downloads)
Current BLANK Styles StylePicker Listing

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi JIm,

I'm curious, IF a feature were added to let you easily change the feel for notation purposes, as well as the time signature, for ANY style on a song-by-song basis, would that be preferable to having new "blank" styles? I'm not saying this is something that would necessarily be added, as there MAY be complications with doing that, but if it WERE added, would that make things simpler?

I would guess that the main reason for using the "blank" styles is that you would want to start a new song with a "clean slate" and then start adding tracks. I can certainly relate to that. If you could just pick a SINGLE blank style to start your song, but then, for example, set the SONG to treat that blank style as 3:4, sw16, would that be preferable?

Tobin Frank (he/him)
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Tobin,

You've asked an interesting question. I know other users use BLANK styles so I hesitate to assume my answer is the same that another user might give. Your question presents some interesting possibilities. Hopefully others will share their response to your question.

Band-in-a-Box is a wonderful tool to use for experimentation and self education. One way I experiment and self teach is to create a chord chart, use comparable instruments while I try styles with different feels and time signatures and then listen at the differences. Sometimes I know in my head what I'm searching for but mentally don't know if a swing 8 or swing 16 works better until I hear it. I don't read music so for me it's not as much about notation as it is how the feel of the song changes. For example musicians might play the same music with 2/4 and 4/4 time signatures differently because the different time signatures naturally give different emphasis to different beats.

Having the capability to change the time signature and feel without having to swap styles would be nice when that's what I'm doing. However I believe the capability would have to at least include 2/4, 3/4, 4/4 and 6/8 time signatures to be a notable difference to having multiple BLANK styles.

Thanks for your interest and asking the question, it made me think!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,523
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195