Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hey Charlie,

I am having a hard time following you.

Can you explain how you did this, what tool you used, what the steps were to find these tools in the menu, and maybe circle some stuff in Paint with some arrows and stuff.

I would not know where to begin.

Sorry!! Maybe I am dense!!!

The tool I used: Audio Editor

The steps to find these tools in the menu: From the Main Chord Page Views Bar | Audio Editor Icon\ Select the Track and highlight audio

________

Here's a video Dropbox link for a VLC mode video tutorial: Fret Squeak Repair video

Any questions or concerns, ask.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Hey thanks Charlie.

I guess I will watch the video and it will explain the steps and what you are using inside audio editor and how.

Thanks again.

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hey thanks Charlie.

I guess I will watch the video and it will explain the steps and what you are using inside audio editor and how.

Thanks again.

David, it takes longer to explain it than to do it. Thus the video. Plus, there are multiple ways to do it according to the producers wants and needs on a project. The video is just over 4 minutes and I demonstrate two methods.

But in short, the two methods in the video is to either copy/paste a bar with a bad squeak with a bar from elsewhere in the song. Essentially, the same as doing a punch in recording. The second method is to actually punch in record. To do that, regenerate the offending bar using either the Audio Track or any Utility Track. It literally takes less than a minute to do either. The producer has the option to do multiple generations the same as if a session musician attempted multiple punch in's.

Doing the repair in BIAB's Audio Editor has many benefits. I'm sure you're aware of using Multi riffs in RealBand and when the seven riffs are generated, the menu gives you the option to have the riff start a few ticks early and continue a few ticks later. Well, the BIAB algorithm also seems to use this feature when it cross fades the cut in and cut out of the replacement audio. This is part of the creation of what PG Music has always called 'smooth transitions'. In other words, BIAB makes sure that at Punch in is seamless and works. I have seen this in the past and demonstrated to some other forum members since the addition of Utility Tracks, we can now see the actual WAV form and can observe the small area of changes in the Wave form sometimes during editing. You can see it more often if you change the actual chord to another chord. For instance, as a test, replace an F chord with a Dm chord and you're more likely to observe WAV form changes at the beginning and end of a bar.

Compare the two WAV forms in the earlier post. Even though I copy/pasted an existing chord, BIAB made audio changes beyond the Bar beginning and ending points while creating the 'smooth transition'...

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Hey Charlie,

Really cool!

Thanks! I appreciate that. Makes total sense. And it is "one way."

smile

Something I have found with some Celtic tracks is they are squeaking all over the place, so I built the little tool I showed in the posted pics to "tame" them across the track in one fell swoop. It is doable.

I don't feel like buying RX 8 right now.

smile

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Tony,

I did it!

Cool.

I won't say I will do this all the time, but it is great to have this edit capacity in my tool box.

Very cool. Thanks!!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Spectral Edit Tool.jpg (93.74 KB, 87 downloads)
Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
David (and Charlie).

i'm not trying to be a "smarty pants", but heres the quikest least mouse cliks i know david in case you had
genned 2914 fp gtr in realband. and one reason of many je t'aime rb .

lets say on trak 15 in rb for arguments sake you genned 2914 , and you noticed for arguments sake bar 8 was squeaky. and was an em chord and also bar 14 is a good em chord no squeak
heres the QUIK TRIK.
1. bring up bars view in rb.
2. with mouse > clik on trak 15 bar 14 in rb bars view. (each bar is a little square).
edit copy.
3. NOW with mouse > clik on trak 15 bar 8 (the bad bar), and edit paste..et voila done.
ie paste overwrite.

i love bars view for this reeason. very simple.
(you can also use rb audio editor of course like in bb)
spend some time in bars view david and experimenting moveing chunks of audio and midi around its very powerfull. that one fix when i just did it took all of 2 secs to fix up 2914 one bar.
best
om
ps...for powertraks users that might read this and assuming the latest version has bars view still.
same deal.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 10/11/21 10:03 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

Muso,

That works too. I do that all the time.

But, there are other tools for other reasons as I have tried to explain.

Thanks.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie,

I think that is the first video I've seen you post. Nice job. The copy and paste from one bar to another is quick.

Here's a question for you. Can you use an unused Legacy track or the Audio track for the copy, paste and regenerate activities instead of a utility track?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<< Can you use an unused Legacy track or the Audio track for the copy, paste and regenerate activities instead of a utility track? >>

Yes, an unused Legacy Track or the Audio Track can be use for the copy/paste and regenerate activities rather than a Utility Track but I prefer to use Utility Tracks for the following reasons.

01. There are 16 Utility Tracks to only the single Audio Track. This is relevant because the Audio Track has more editing functions than Utility Tracks currently have. I think it's better to reserve the Audio Track for more advanced processes when possible.
02. It can be done on a Legacy Track but the process takes longer because there are additional steps to complete the task using a Legacy Track.

Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Justanoldmuso,

Good points. However, my video instructions addressed the fix based on the circumstances presented by the original poster. He used BIAB not RealBand and it appears his project likely had more than a single bar that contained fret squeaks so his situation would likely need to have multiple occasions to copy/paste or regenerate the track.

Yes, it makes perfect sense to do this in RealBand had the project been started or already resided in the RealBand program. Other than those reasons, it's more practical to do this in BIAB.

01. The time required to export just the single track in the Style and import it into RealBand would take more time than the fix would require using BIAB.
02. If he regenerated that track in RealBand, RealBand accesses and works in conjunction with BIAB to generate tracks and partial tracks. Thus, it's more logical to do it in BIAB.
03. If the poster saved the BIAB project and then opened that file in RealBand, again, that process alone takes longer than it would take to fix the problem in BIAB.
04. In addition, were the poster completely satisfied with the track other than the squeaks and had frozen that track, opening the file in RealBand would cause that frozen track to be lost because RealBand doesn't recognize and preserve tracks that are frozen in BIAB. RealBand would generate a complete new version of all the tracks upon opening the BIAB file.

An interesting point about Legacy Tracks. Because the task of copy/paste between bars on a Legacy Track can be done without using or having Utility Tracks, it has been a task that could be completed in BIAB since 2015 without using external software programs.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 10/12/21 01:34 PM.

Songwriting
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Charlie.
your excellent at helping folks with bb.
no argument. and great kudos to you for your vast knowledge.and i admire how you donate your time to help people.

the only reason i post rb ideas/tips/triks sometimes is
one never knows who is reading these forums.
it might be a new user to pg who is exploring realband for the first time. and wondering if there was a solution in rb that was appropo.

i think even you will admit the forums are top heavy with biab posts/topics/solutions ?
but there are those of us , like myself that like rb also,..because it TOO has somer pretty nifty triks and features, a lot actually...and just want to see rb prosper and develope further.

best regards/respect
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Charlie.
your excellent at helping folks with bb.
no argument. and great kudos to you for your vast knowledge.and i admire how you donate your time to help people.

the only reason i post rb ideas/tips/triks sometimes is
one never knows who is reading these forums.
it might be a new user to pg who is exploring realband for the first time. and wondering if there was a solution in rb that was appropo.

i think even you will admit the forums are top heavy with biab posts/topics/solutions ?
but there are those of us , like myself that like rb also,..because it TOO has somer pretty nifty triks and features, a lot actually...and just want to see rb prosper and develope further.

best regards/respect
om

No problem. So far, you and I are the only posters in this thread to have recommended PG Music products and its good we've both taken the time to submit a recommendation. I have no issue with anyone's recommendations or the solutions offered. All of them have merit. Most are dependent on individual workflow and not necessarily to how nifty a trick they are or how much someone has invested into an external software that emulates external hardware to artificially manipulate audio. That said, particularly for new users, which this is the original poster's first post, RealBand isn't the niftiest trick... BIAB's Audio Editor is for this problem. But every method that's been offered has merit and any one of them could be what's eventually chosen by the poster and others that may have a similar issue.

In regard to posts/topics and solutions I disagree there are too many about BIAB. BIAB is the flagship and all of the other PG Music is linked and dependent to BIAB. I speculated when posting my tip that most users would be unaware that this issue could be handled within the BIAB program in about 15 seconds. I didn't give consideration to RealBand because I didn't know what version the poster uses. It's irrelevant as this technique can applied to both Mac and PC as well as to every year and model version back to 2015.

This fix works nearly identically in RealBand so your suggestion is relevant and useful giving the original poster and any other reader of these comments the ability to choose any of the methods mentioned in this thread in relation to what they find to best fit into their personal workflow. Your tip to use RealBand is just as reasonable and useful as mine. Thanks for posting it.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 10/12/21 03:40 PM.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
So.... A lot of guys who work with midi spend hours trying to add squeaks and fret noise in the proper places to make it sound more realistic.

The easiest way I can think of to eliminate the noise you don't want is to use volume envelopes on the track. Zooming in helps. That makes the squeaks and fret noise easier to see and isolate. The TWO ways I would do this, and both involve reducing the noise, are muting and volume control.

I often do this in my DAW, simply because it's easier to do there.

An envelope is my go to. First, add a volume envelope to the track. When the noise appears.... simply zoom in to see the noise in the bar.... then drop three nodes.... one immediately before, one immediately after, and one on the peak. Pull the peak down. This method allows you to keep some of the noise, as the noise does in fact add realism to the track. However, by pulling the peak down, you have reduced the level substantially. If you want it gone... use 4 nodes and pull it out start to finish. Again zoom in... drop two nodes before and two nodes after. Pull the center down. Since most of the squeaks and fret noise are very short duration events.... milliseconds in most cases, the loss of the track audio is not even audible for that event. You can also use a "process audio"... "mute" event for the same purpose. Drag through the event in a DAW and mute it.

This is also really good to use for lip smacks, and breath noises in vocal tracks as well as anything else that clicks or pops in a track that needs to be removed.

Once you get the hang of working in this way, you can literally clean up a track in a matter of just a few minutes.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Good tips Herb. I've used those techniques in both RealBand and Studio One in the past. I agree that times it's better to leave some realistic noise or small mistake in a song and volume envelopes work really in these cases. Zoomed in micro mutes are also effective.

I know you're more than comfortable doing these tasks in Sonar and there's no reason to suggest you do otherwise but for those that either don't use a DAW, or prefer to stay in BIAB as long as possible, I'd like to pass along that your methods are also very quick and easy to do in the BIAB Audio Editor. The process is similar to cut/paste and just about as fast.

The Audio Editor doesn't have a envelope track but it does have both gain and audio leveling at the same zoom levels as a DAW so any offending region can be selected and the volume reduced, muted or erased. I've previously demonstrated the BIAB Audio Editor can also quickly copy new audio from somewhere else in the track or from another track or regenerate new audio if reducing a squeak, lip smack, breath or other noise isn't satisfactory.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
The advantages of using Spectral Editing is one can get shy of any noise within a sound. Be it high or low or even somewhere in the middle. Say someone singing accidentally bumps the mic stand. The bump is in the middle of a really nice note. Using Spectral Editing one can get shy or create a reduction of the bump causing minimal damage to the note.

It is not alway possible or desirable to chop up an entire piece to get shy of unwanted noise. As for squeaks the really nice thing by using Spectral Editing it is very possible to edit the overbearing noise to something that sounds way more normal.

Just a thought

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 10/14/21 12:18 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Songwriting
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Teunis
The advantages of using Spectral Editing is one can get shy of any noise within a sound. Be it high or low or even somewhere in the middle. Say someone singing accidentally bumps the mic stand. The bump is in the middle of a really nice note. Using Spectral Editing one can get shy or create a reduction of the bump causing minimal damage to the note.

It is not always possible or desirable to chop up an entire piece to get shy of unwanted noise. As for squeaks the really nice thing by using Spectral Editing it is very possible to edit the overbearing noise to something that sounds way more normal.

Just a thought

Tony

You and Herb both make good points to the advantages of external DAW's and software Plugin solutions to fixing unwanted noise in tracks. At the same time, both of you illustrate to me why using the Audio Editor in BIAB is the best solution over every other option presented in this discussion. Various software solutions mentioned have been Melodyne, TDR-Nova, Spectral Editing, a de-esser with the Izotope RX "de-clicker and Spectro.

But the disadvantage to all of these methods became apparent to me when the analogy came to my mind between creating BIAB tracks in comparison to a live studio recording session where Plugins and DAWs are king. The disadvantage is none of the methods are correcting the problem at the source recording. Each of these methods are 'fixing it in the mix' like a recording engineer would be forced to do in a studio recording session because the session player has recorded their part and left the building. Best practice in recording is to get it right at the source. Correct it at the source and while your session artist is on the clock. BIAB can do this in the Audio Editor.

BIAB can punch in/overdub/regenerate glitches at the source before a track is ever sent out to a DAW to be used in a recording. Using the BIAB Audio Editor provides a pristine recorded audio RealTrack and none of the plugins or DAWs will have to be used to fix the track "in the mix" like a live recording session after the recorded track has been made and the session artist gone.

As important as having a clean and clear recorded audio track is BIAB's capability of creating smooth transitions that not only make seamless cross-fades. Every cross fade may have a small bit to both the preceding audio and the following audio of the inserted audio clip modified by the BIAB algorithm to blend the inserted audio to the entire track. This ability is confirmed by observing Multi Riffs can be instructed to begin a little early and end a little late. This is done by BIAB and is included automatically in the Audio Editor.

In other words, BIAB's artificial intelligence is creating a complex, professional quality arrangement from the insert in addition to simply inserting the audio clip.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 10/15/21 02:39 AM.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

I for one appreciate the thought and effort that all contributors have made here because I have learned some interesting tips and tricks I did not know before.

When I am doing any process, I appreciate having a number of options to choose from depending what I am doing, and want, and how much time I have.

The BIAB process will work also in Real Band, a tool I have mentioned at length in other posts.

I like RealBand because I can work fast in it, though some have told me I should never ever use RealBand, for any reason whatsoever, just because. Why, I am not exactly sure.

In this screen shot I generated a Celtic guitar. These tracks seem prone to squeaks, not sure why.

When I played it back, I found it was not just a squeak that bothered me, it was the phrasing and flow. It sounded choppy in some parts. (Just an example, mind you.)

So, I copied the track, and highlighted the first problem section in gray.

Then I did a regen on just that section. I am sure you can do this in audio edit in BIAB, but I prefer to work in RB for this kind of stuff.

It is easy. I think each person finds out eventually how they want to do stuff.

In do vocals in RealBand and will sometimes do 12 takes of the main vocal, then create a final vocal master track and just clip in the parts like.

This takes me about 5 to 10 minutes. (The final cut and paste.)

Again, I am sure each person uses various tools and techniques and settles on what is best for them.

Peace out.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Regen Acoustic2.jpg (163.34 KB, 34 downloads)
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
"At the source" 100% agreement. There are quite a few problems with RealTrack when it comes to clicks, clangs, squeaks and worse. Almost all can be managed and "work arounds" abound but getting it right at the source is key to a good workflow and good result.
It's obviously cheaper to employ a software/code writer to fix some of these things than it is to hire a player, engineer and room to get it right though.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195