Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
In my case I wanted to do a complete clean install since it's been 5 years since I reimaged my laptop. The instructions at Tom's Hardware offer both upgrade and clean install of Windows 11.

1) Download latest WhyNotWin11: WhyNotWin11 Download - They now have a new version of it that is more relaxed on TPM rules.
Thanks Matt Finley. His post: Rumors about a new version of Windows
2) Ran WhyNotWin11 and I had all RED items on Boot Method, Disk Partition Type, & Secure Boot. Followed steps I wrote on MBR, BIOS here: Rumors about a new version of Windows
3) Only had CPU Compatibility issue left in RED. My laptop CPU has not been supported since Windows 10 was released and it works fine for me. My CPU: Intel Core i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz. Tom's says a lot of Core i7s have been left off compatibility list for some reason even though they work fine.
4) Backup all needed laptop data to external and PC drives.
5) Prepped ISO, Tom's Hardware: How to Download a Windows 11 ISO File and Do a Clean Install - Go to the "Download a Windows 11 ISO That Bypasses TPM" section.
6) Follow additional instructions at Tom's for creating the bootable USB stick for the ISO. 8 Gig Drive Minimum, same link above.
7) Insert USB drive and boot to it to begin installation.
8) Choose basic options you normally do on a Windows install.
9) Install Classic Shell for the old Start button controls. Classic Shell Start Menu Button

I'll be in the process of building the laptop in the coming days as just the basic install is done now..... I still have lots of apps to install, especially music ones.....

P.S. - It did let me install Windows 11 without a Microsoft account. Although it kept reminding me to add one, it didn't force the issue. I've seen various reviews saying this is the first version of Windows that takes that option away. Not true. On the sign in to Microsoft account during installation, choose sign-in options, then "Offline Account". It will ask you to choose security questions to store locally in case of password issues.

P.S.II - I was also able to set up the laptop to auto login as I had on older Windows versions too. I'm old school and just want to turn on the computer and let it boot. I don't want no stinkin' password prompt! smile

If anyone has any questions or things to try in Windows 11, let me know. I'm on BIAB/RB 2020, so that's the only forum related software I'll be able to test once I install it.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Steve

Just be careful! There are rumours that Microsoft will not allow updates to a Windows 11 installation that has bypassed its requirements. I think they say you will still get defender updates, but not feature updates and bug fixes.

I have three computers that have been updated without problems as they met the Microsoft requirements, however I have several others which will stay on Windows 10.

Kevin smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Kevin Woolley
Just be careful! There are rumours that Microsoft will not allow updates to a Windows 11 installation that has bypassed its requirements. I think they say you will still get defender updates, but not feature updates and bug fixes.

Kevin, thanks for the feedback. Luckily, on the TPM workarounds, Microsoft has been the implementer of these so it's supported. I also believe that Tom's Hardware would indicate if any workaround would violate licensing. I think the main goal of Microsoft in all the requirements was to secure BIOS and the boot record to help prevent attacks of that sort on a user PC. That's why I support checking these items on that WhyNotWin11 utility: Boot Method, Disk Partition Type, & Secure Boot. I don't think Microsoft cares so much on the supported CPUs. I think they want the user to be aware that their CPU may not be able to handle the extra processing it may take for the new OS. My laptop CPU is not on their list more than likely since it was manufactured in 2013 (8 years old). It is a strong processor and I've had no crashes since installing Win11 yesterday.

Screenshot for my Win11 Activation status below.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Untitled.jpg (34.94 KB, 196 downloads)

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: sslechta
3) Only had CPU Compatibility issue left in RED. My laptop CPU has not been supported since Windows 10 was released and it works fine for me. My CPU: Intel Core i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz. Tom's says a lot of Core i7s have been left off compatibility list for some reason even though they work fine.
Originally Posted By: Kevin Woolley

This says to me that Microsoft might be implementing code that requires certain CPU features, as older CPU's may be unable to do a number of tasks even if they currently "work fine".

By CPU features, I mean things like newer SIMD extensions, AVX, TSX, and possibly virtualization extensions - basically some of the things that make a 2021 2ghz processor faster than a 2001 2ghz processor. If Microsoft chooses to remove some seemingly "fine" CPU's from their compatibility list, it's probably for a good reason.

Either way, I agree that some degree of caution should be taken with regards to unsupported computers and/or components.

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the feedback Simon....

UPDATES:

My laptop install has been almost a week now and I've discovered no major issues yet. I've loaded a couple of games that I've played before the wipe and they seem to do well. I still need to load BIAB and run some tests. No CPU/Memory/Disk issues of any kind yet.

M$FT has not launched the new version of Paint yet for Win11 (before end-of-year, I've read) and when I tried to copy the executable in from the Win10 Paint, it would not work. So until the Paint update comes out, there's no default image editor. So I may wait until that release before I start the upgrade on my main desktop machine.

Edit - I found an article on Microsoft's website you can access the old MSPaint for now by doing a Win + R, then type mspaint.exe. It works! This is strange to me since there's no mspaint.exe located in the Windows directory. They must be pulling it through the app store or a different file name.

Last edited by sslechta; 10/19/21 01:45 PM.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am looking at this more as a reason/opportunity to buy a shiny new PC. More research first, of course. Seeing ads pop up for the Intel EVO chip driven PCs. It won't be until next year until I'd buy yet another computer and reload ALL this software. I always feared those "We'll move all your stuff for you" things. Seems like they can build in logic that says more like "We'll move all the stuff we say you can keep".

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Eddie, the nice thing about wiping the laptop and starting a new install was that there's no bloatware. I just had the basic Win11 Pro install, no extra crap. Since I've only installed a few things so far like MS Office, a couple of games, etc., it's been running pretty fast.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Last Win11 update has added the new version of Paint. Looks cooler, I'll have to see over time if it's much functionally better.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Untitled.jpg (55.96 KB, 136 downloads)

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Paint? Your assignment is to do a better job than I did on coloring in the BIAB transport icons. With better tools, I'm sure you can.

And please keep us posted on the updates-supported issue.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Paint? Your assignment is to do a better job than I did on coloring in the BIAB transport icons. With better tools, I'm sure you can.

I'll do what I can, LOL....

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
And please keep us posted on the updates-supported issue.

As far as that AMD compatibility issue, it appears that is now fixed. This article is from AMD's site:

Windows 11 Performance Variation in Certain Applications on Compatible AMD Processors

Steve

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Last Win11 update has added the new version of Paint. Looks cooler, I'll have to see over time if it's much functionally better.

Excellent! Now I can do my job again...

I work here
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
Excellent! Now I can do my job again...

LOL, that's what I was thinking too..... It came in a KB update last week.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I know my laptop qualifies for the upgrade, but my home-built desktop fails on a few of the check items.

Right now, I'm going through and updating all my software (a lot) on both my machines (I keep them mostly mirrored to each other, so if something happens to one, I can work on the other), and then plan to image my Win10 laptop and try the in-place upgrade. In theory, I should be able to get back to Win10 via the disk image if there are problems. I just don't want start fresh and re-install everything, as that takes a very very long time (and involves de-authorizing certain software first, since sometimes new OS's make it look like a different PC). We'll see. Probably do it sometime in November.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wiped my wife's laptop and my home studio PC this weekend to install Windows 11 from the USB Win11 ISO stick I created for my laptop back in October when I started this thread. None of our machines have had any issues yet. Since I just got the main studio PC back up, I have the long process of installing all the music software as I get to it, including BIAB 2022.

P.S. - My machines were both on Windows 10 PRO and therefore upgraded to the same version of Win 11. The wife's laptop came with Windows 10 Home so the upgrade performed on it went to the new version of Home.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Great outcome so far. Keep us informed. Inquiring minds need to know wink

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I will say my update to Windows 11 was actually a great idea. It allowed me to organize my filing system to be way more logical and efficient with all my music software, VST's, voices, sounds etc. I had a mish mosh of drives and stuff all over the place and now it is all tidy and neat! Not one piece of software fails to work.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Window’s folks have the patience of Job! smile

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Since my desktop can't be upgraded (which is ridiculous, as I've got an i7 quad core processor, 32GB RAM, and 6TB hard disk space), I'm holding off on upgrading my laptop (which can be upgraded). Probably sometime after the new year, I'll upgrade the motherboard and processor on the desktop and look at Windows 11 then. For now, though, Win10 has been pretty rock solid.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
Since my desktop can't be upgraded (which is ridiculous, as I've got an i7 quad core processor, 32GB RAM, and 6TB hard disk space), I'm holding off on upgrading my laptop (which can be upgraded).

You should still be able to upgrade that desktop after some BIOS tweaks and Microsoft supported TPM bypasses. Just PM if you want to work through this, John.

Steve

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,555
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199