Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box VST and Pro Tools/AAX DAW Plugin (Windows)
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
With Biab it generates up the track into RAM then plays from there,
BBW4 (Biab) will do the same for the Plugin then writes it to a wav file.

If I drop a wav/wma from my RealTracks folder into Reaper, slice it up, change the pitch, stretch and rearrange it, (Non Destructive Editing)
when I play it back it will still be playing the same original untouched source wav file.
Couldn't you get the Plugin to do the same ?
Rather than all the time waiting for it to be generated to wav files,
it should be way quicker to generate up just the reference data and play direct from the wav/wma source files.
Then the time would be just in the render to wav when you finally get what you need, rather than all the render time for something that may not be right, not to mention all the SavedTracks hard drive space.
That's why with the Vol/Pan and more audio sends it can be all done in the Plugin without using any hard drive space or long render times.
I know if I generate a track in Reaper with a script pulling the needed sections out of a wav file to fit the chord track it's instant,
it's only simple random matching where as Biab will do more musical calculations but it should be near as quick, it would have to be as quick as generating midi.
So moving just the necessary generate code from BBW4 into the BiabVST code would give you instant play.

It's like if I freeze all the tracks in Biab and save to SGU it will store all the reference data for the tracks: file, bar/s, time start/time end, transpose and stretch amount.
So if I open this SGU in the BiabVST it should be able to read and play those section direct from file without generating into RAM then rendering to wav.

See pic below Reaper is just pulling out sections of wav that match the chord track, it will just play direct from the source until I render it.

Then this is the render time in the next pic, it will render all those sections to a new wav on your hard drive.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Reaper-Instant-Track-Glue.gif (359.56 KB, 543 downloads)
Reaper-Glued-wav.png (35.59 KB, 541 downloads)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I believe part of the reason is to keep system requirements down as low as possible.

Currently Band-in-a-Box will run on just about anything - pretty sure it'll run on a potato. If we program BB to render everything in realtime, then our users who are still running some very old computers will need a faster CPU, more Ram, faster hard drive, etc.

Granted, I would support having "realtime" as the default and keeping the old "generate" as an option for those who are still running potatoes. But I'm not in development so I have no idea how much coding it would take to do it all in realtime.

I work here
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
...then our users who are still running some very old computers will need a faster CPU, more Ram, faster hard drive, etc. ....

We are talking about the BiabVST not Biab that old users with old PC's with a Pentium 100 use, we are talking about users with high end DAW's not PowerTracks, this is what the BiabVST was made for. You can't hold back modern day studio users with high end DAW's because of old users from the 90's.
That's why I said get all the generate code into the BiabVST then development will be at the speed of light away from the old BBW4 code.
There will still always be a Delphi Band In A Box for all those users that are comfortable and at home with it.

P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Here's a video playing back the 24bit 48KHz files that are pitched and stretched with non destructive editing in real time, these files are all on a USB 3.0 drive same as RT/RDs.
So if the BB Plugin can move to this method there won't be any wait time, it will play a frozen SGU from Biab instantly in your DAW.

I put all this info up as there are big (good) changes coming so I might be doing other things and might not be around too much.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/szd9wcytf2vgv78/Reaper-24bit-48KHz.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by Pipeline; 11/21/20 04:39 PM.
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
This is an actual RealTrack playing direct from the Biab RealTracks folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/maxphbq184wg3sx/Reaper-RealTrack.mp4?dl=0

P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Now with the Audio Sends you would be able to leave the tracks in the Plugin as data without having to render to wav and drag into the DAW tracks, you just render the DAW project.

P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Here's 1/8 changes with a RealTrack playing direct from the bb\RealTracks folder, so it should be easily doable in the Plugin.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lpq2hoes8eqe84/8th-Chord-Changes.mp4?dl=0

Same deal with the RealDrums playing direct from the bb\Drums folder

P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Another thing, using track data you should be able to highlight a section of chords, right click copy data, then paste data over the same chords in another section.
So if you have a riff you like playing in one spot you can copy it to another, all without wav rendering time same as I can in Reaper.

To give you an example how easy this works I put a RealTrak and RealDrum in a Reaper project, just remove the .mp4 from the download below.
RT 372 & NashvilleSwing Example wav.rpp.mp4

The project will look for
\bb\RealTracks\Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 120\AcG011.wav
bb\Drums\NashvilleSwing8^\nashvilleswing8^_110_Style.wav
so point Reaper to those folder when prompted.
If you don't have wav just convert those two files from wma to a wav also.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Reaper-RT-RD.png (112.49 KB, 484 downloads)
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
pipeline.
happy new year.
notice your graphic before the last one ?
showing reatrak at bottom ?
wouldnt it be great if my bb chord view wish showed all those different reatrak song sections as matching tabs at the top of biab chord view ?
see what i mean ?
best.
muso.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
YES, I think have the Tab name/color whatever you name and color the song section as, this way you are not limited to a set of names and colors.
It's a good idea, it's all doable and other users have been requesting it also, but what can you do ? hope wish pray ??
If Biab had scripting we could make it up right now.

ReaTrak-Sections.png (262.04 KB, 241 downloads)
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
pipeline.
yep wish bb had scripting.
frankly i'm teed off.
i'm not bothering posting suggestions in wishlist anymore, cos it seems other users dont care much.
i mean c'mon tabs in chordview is obvious. like above in reaps. also obvious is changeing the oddball chorus feature.
i feel we are both "tilting at windmills".

sorry but i think i'm going to be on here less.
careing bout this stuff isnt worth it.
just this week i had to do more workarounds.

regarding support for ancient pc's, thats why i hinted in the
wishlist to have an early warning system so people didnt
crash etc etc when trying to load in some cpu hogging crazy plug ins.
but noone seemed to support that idea.
one person maybe. sigh.

keep up your great work, and much respect to you.
muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 01/10/21 03:46 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
BB needs to hire The Workarounds but Reaper don't it goes solo.
I went through years of frustration and stress until I found Reaper and scripting and now with the BBPlugin I think just about anything you can conceive of, you can create in Reaper.
Rather than hoping wishing praying cursing.. for it in BB you can get it started now in Reaper.

With the Song Section Tool I made up, I could add that with the Chord Sheet so whatever song section it's on it will display that without any BBPlugins showing.
This would also work without the BBPlugins.

ReaTrak-Song-Section.png (76.95 KB, 219 downloads)
S
Veteran
Veteran
S
I can't understand. My English level is too poor. If I only rely on translation, I really don't understand.
But it feels like you're doing a great thing. come on.

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix
I can't understand. My English level is too poor. If I only rely on translation, I really don't understand.
But it feels like you're doing a great thing. come on.

Reaper is a DAW that supports user enhancements by script programming. Pipeline enhances Reaper with script programs.

If you use the Band-in-a-Box Plugin in the Reaper DAW, Pipeline will program a script to add almost any feature you can imagine.

Pipeline has already created a large number of scripts so Reaper can work better with the plugin.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
S
Veteran
Veteran
S
That's great. Talent!

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
It seems I have to keep posting on this as it's not being understood by some and is being knocked. A lot of it's got to do with PG being scared stiff of offending old users with this modern software because they are still running really old computers and may be just be using the BBPlugin in PowerTracks on Win98.

In the demo below Reaper is using 76meg RAM 0% CPU Reaper-Host32bit 13meg playing direct from a PG WD USB 3.0 hard drive, using EnergyXT 32bit 2005 VSTi playing 1 RealDrum & 8 RealTracks of random sections, would do a lot more but takes too much time putting them all in.
This is how the BBPlugin needs to work to give INSTANT GENERATE & PLAY. At the moment there is too much time waiting for it to generate up unnecessary wav files filling up the hard drive.

If you still have to use bbw4 though I would recommend getting away from it, you could get bbw4 just to write the section data to the SavedTracks folder (like the same data that is saved for frozen SGU) that would then give the Plugin the sections to play from in the original files. bbw4 would need to append the current track's section data file in the SavedTracks folder if a new section of it is regenerated in the BBPlugin. So rather than having wav files filling up the SavedTracks folder bbw4 will just do the first step without generating up to RAM then rendering to wav it will just generate the txt files for each track, the txt files will contain the wav/wma/m4a file name, the start and end time of the section, the transpose and stretch amount, the BBlugin will then playback those sections same as EnergyXY VSTi in the pick below.

All you have to do is download Reaper (free to try n try) and try what I have show, learn how it works, you can't learn from RealBand how it works as it's destructive editing.

Full Screen

P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
If you can't get away from bbw4 and do it all in the BBvst at the moment then this is how it can be done:

BBvst-Play-Drirect.png (115.34 KB, 579 downloads)
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
and this is XP playing RealTracks/Drums Direct from USB 2.0 hard drive:

Reaper-BB-Tracks-WinXP.gif (442.77 KB, 438 downloads)
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
When you generate a song in Biab main
1. It will choose random sections that will fit the chords of the track from the RT source files.
2. It will join those sections together into RAM creating 1 linear track and plays that back.
3. bbw4 takes it one step further and renders it to a wav file in the SavedTracks folder that the BBPlugin then reads.

If you Save the Biab main to SGU frozen that is the same as the text file as it contains all the randomly chosen parts in a linear formation.

If I open the frozen SGU and just re-generate bars 5 to 8 then Save as a frozen SGU again that is the same as appending the track's text file in the SavedTracks folder.

The pic below is just a Reaper project file I simplified as an example, if I copy a section from one saved project to another it will have a new section of track when I play it back same as when I regenerate a section in Reaper it will append the sections in the project file with that new section in the text.
If I generate the whole track then it will write all new section of text.
It's like a media player song playlist, you can add all new songs to the play order or you can just change a few different songs in the middle, so the media player knows what items to play and in what order.
In the project text file it has the position, start pos in wav, end pos in wav,
PLAYRATE 1 1 0 -1 0 0.0025 (tempo and pitch amount)
and file source.

So if bbw4 will
1. It will choose random sections that will fit the chords of the track from the RT source files.
2. Write these sections direct to SavesTracks as
Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 120.txt
3. BBPlugin will read and playback the "playlist" of all the different sections listed in the text file directly from the source wav\wma.

It's like if you just generate midi it is super quick as it just writes a text file (.mid)
the mid text file triggers sounds in the sound font or wav sample in the sfz in Sforzando.

With direct play the text file will trigger a sample section of wav/wma to be played in the source file.

THAT'S IT

Pipeline #680678 11/02/21 05:56 PM
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Here is a simplified demonstration:
The BBPlugin is playing back the Pedal Steel wav in SavedTracks,
why not play it back direct from the RT folder and only render it together to a new file if it needs to be dragged out ?
Why spend all that time to render to RAM then render to wav a new file to fill up the hard drive ?
Any transposition or playback rate adjustment will be applied with dllelastiquePro3.dll in realtime.

This 2005 32bit VST has no problem, look at the different sections of RT RD source files it's playing:

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Blake - PG Music 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195