Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Folks,
SoundCloud link: MASTERED
I started the music for this one about a week ago. It's "fairly" well sorted in terms of arrangement but not mix, tone etc.
It needed a lyric & melody but I had nothing until I woke up yesterday with a line "He's locked & loaded as she walks to the door."
I ignored it for a while but it nagged so I sat and wrote it into a word prog then the rest dribbled out.
Not a happy narrative.
I decided to try an on the run no thinking melody so did two passes in the DAW with the new lyric.
Sloppy and ugly as expected.
I tidied it a little today but it's a vocal that needs to be replaced obviously.
Any & all suggestions about the lyric, melody, arrangement, playing etc are MOST welcome and will be, at the very least, tried.
BIAB provided the RealDrums and, via Janice & Bud, the Super MIDI farfisa style organ.
the rest is me on Harley Benton 12 string electric, Vantage bass, Squire Mustang, an ACtone pedal, a spring Reverb pedal and a Marshall amp.
UPPER GARAGE....working title (file removed)

Here's a new mix. I've tried all suggestions...including the harmony guitar which was fun to do but didn't work...more a lack of skill on my part...I even tried a pitched clone and that, as you'd expect, wasn't too lovely. I use some aggression, used drive, overdrive and distortion on the vocals but they all seem to grab hold of the sibilant zone and drove me NUTZ BUT it is in this mix. I've upped the PSP Vintage Warmer level for some grit but you'll hear what transpired.
New verse vocal (double tracked) and some levelling via automation rather than a VST.

I've removed the dirt/grit - it was causing all sorts of problems - not least of all IN my head. I've had another crack at the harmony lead part...only the 2nd half though. I removed almost all the compression plugins used on the previous mix and used gentler, stacked ones on this...had to do some more de-essing as a result. Vocals are much more up front now.
Latest mix no grit (file removed)

Lyrics...
V1
He's locked and loaded as she heads for the door
This battle won at the start of his War
Just shut your mouth or there'll be more
C1
It wasn't long till it came crashing down
The face transformed: the anger the frown
There's no one she knows in this town
There's no escape no where to run
There's nothing
V2
Bags packed and ready because she wants no more
And there's no protection within the law
Can't recall what she wanted him for
C2
Lover transformed: to a dangerous clown
He was her king but he battered his crown
There's nothing
SOLO
C3
She's going under and feels like she'll drown
The marks don't fade: they're the talk of the town
There's nothing
V3
He's all excuses for the heart that he tore
Just one more chance it's like it was before
A bed of roses till there's a thorn
C4
The face transformed: the anger the frown
He was her king but he battered his crown
There's nothing
C5
It all imploded: it came crashing down
There's nothing

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 02/09/23 08:51 AM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ray,

There's a lot to like here.

A good write. Interesting images/phrases throughout. A very interesting melody, too!

The opening is really nice. A nice combination of guitars, bass and drums. Very Catchy!!
Those guitars work throughout.

I like the soloing! A great fit.

The vocals seem too "sweet". The lyric (and at times, the melody) has a real edge to it. The vocal tone doesn't match that. I would expect a "rougher", "meaner", more "angry" kind of vocal (but I may be missing the point all together. I can do that....)

Cool stuff.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool song Ray. Lots of potential

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Ray,
Very cool stuff. A bit more than just a sketch smile
I like it as a whole. Strong lyrics/ phrasing. I read it in the morning, but was guessing what it will sound like within context.
My take.... polish mix, bring out vocals a little and call it done. Your vocals are GOOD! Excellent composition and arrangement too. I really see no point of re-inventing it, at least this version. Again, I think it only needs a mix and maybe optional couple of vocal re-takes. Your voice does work well on it! Good one. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Ray,

This is a good rocker.

I agree with above comments - I would bring up volume of the vocals a touch so we can hear the lyrics.

Well done.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
My 2 cents:
The vocals need to be more gritty and aggressive.
Current vocals are a bit too mild mannered for the song and the subject.
I'd also bring the vocals more forward and cut the effect a bit, just a little washy.

Think more Tom Watts

moto

Last edited by CaptainMoto; 10/15/21 01:46 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
My 2 cents:
I'd also bring the vocals more forward and cut the effect a bit, just a little washy.

Think more Tom Watts

moto

I agree. Either redo the vocals or take off all of the effects then start with a little distortion. Yes a little distortion on a vocal may do wonders for adding grit.

I really liked the backing tracks. Excellent chops!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ray,

There's a lot to like here.
A good write. Interesting images/phrases throughout. A very interesting melody, too!
The opening is really nice. A nice combination of guitars, bass and drums. Very Catchy!!
Those guitars work throughout.
I like the soloing! A great fit.
The vocals seem too "sweet". The lyric (and at times, the melody) has a real edge to it. The vocal tone doesn't match that. I would expect a "rougher", "meaner", more "angry" kind of vocal (but I may be missing the point all together. I can do that....)
Cool stuff.
fj

Thanks for responding Floyd,
It's an unsubtle and messy narrative but it is, almost 100% as it arrived. I did shorten the last line of each chorus as it was crowded and clipped.
The intro was simple to do as it was just the chords & no thinking required.
The solo, really, is my 1st attempt at starting off by just playing the scale...and it shows as the 1st half is just the bottom strings playing at being a bass part. After that, as you can hear, I played the chord tones on the E, B & G strings and that's about all. I did add some tube screamer to it but it went from being simplistic to being simplistic and messy.
Ha, my vocal as sweet...I know what you mean though. It is the best I could manage given I was singing it for the 2nd time and I couldn't get a "voice" other that my own that early on.
Yes, I'd expect a good, angry woman's voice in this. Instead I offer a poor sympathetic one. I'll work on things though...thanks.

Last edited by rayc; 10/15/21 03:23 PM.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool song Ray. Lots of potential

Thanks Scott, much appreciated.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Ray,
Very cool stuff. A bit more than just a sketch smile
I like it as a whole. Strong lyrics/ phrasing. I read it in the morning, but was guessing what it will sound like within context.
My take.... polish mix, bring out vocals a little and call it done. Your vocals are GOOD! Excellent composition and arrangement too. I really see no point of re-inventing it, at least this version. Again, I think it only needs a mix and maybe optional couple of vocal re-takes. Your voice does work well on it! Good one. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

Thank you Misha,
I'll give it a go based on your say so.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Ray,
This is a good rocker.
I agree with above comments - I would bring up volume of the vocals a touch so we can hear the lyrics.
Well done.

Best Regards
Nigel

Thanks Nigel,
I would've brought the vocals forward had it been a keeper but I saw/see it as a place holder.
It doesn't quite rock the way I imagined...the narrative and melody pull it back towards something that may be power pop IF there was a sparkling vocalist.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
My 2 cents:
Think more Tom Watts
moto

Cpt Moto,
I agree with you - either gritty or a sparkling clean one...either would do.
The only Tom Waits I truly enjoy is the stuff on Heart Attack & Vine.
As a non drinker non smoker I'll have to search for the Waits Plugin.
There's little modulation/spacial effect - just sloppy doubling really. I'll try to sort that if I don't find a singer in the meantime.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD

I agree. Either redo the vocals or take off all of the effects then start with a little distortion. Yes a little distortion on a vocal may do wonders for adding grit.
I really liked the backing tracks. Excellent chops!

Mario,
I'm no stranger to using some saturation and drive on a vocal...and there's a little free VST compressor ModernDeathcore, that adds some very cool aggressive colour, (no, not Death metal despite the name), it can be VERY cool when appropriately placed.
I'll investigate. Thanks.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Oh, man, I first heard this yesterday, but got interrupted before commenting. At first I wrung my hands together like an evil scientist, thinking Cool, a chance to collaborate with Ray. Then --well as mentioned by others, this song is essentially done. Just do everything prescribed and this is a winner. Really, man, your vocal sounds perfect --just bring it out and shape it. The melody is somewhat monotonous, but it's exactly what the song requires, and becomes quite catchy. That 12-string sounds really good throughout. Can't wait to hear the remix.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Rayc.
i really liked that clean gtr starting at 2m12secs.

and the gtr's each side of the stereo image.

nice ending.

best
om

ps getting rid of fizzies..per one of your posts.

Ray.
heres what i do with those genned fizzy rt's...a tricky mate.
sometimes works sometimes dont.
1. i load reaps reafir on the trak.
2. go deep zooming into the fizz (HA HA SONG NAME>> INTO THE FIZZ lol i'm in a silly mood today.)
3. get a noise print of the fizz.
4. in reaps apply the noise print fizz to whole trak NOT HEAVY JUST GENTLE REDUCTION.
5. delete reafir, then load in a gtr amp plug in and re-amp eg commercial paid plug in or one of reaps
free gtr plug ins eg bassman or free freeamp gtr plug in. etc etc.
give it a bash sometime.

best
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 10/16/21 02:52 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Oh, man, I first heard this yesterday, but got interrupted before commenting. At first I wrung my hands together like an evil scientist, thinking Cool, a chance to collaborate with Ray. Then --well as mentioned by others, this song is essentially done. Just do everything prescribed and this is a winner. Really, man, your vocal sounds perfect --just bring it out and shape it. The melody is somewhat monotonous, but it's exactly what the song requires, and becomes quite catchy. That 12-string sounds really good throughout. Can't wait to hear the remix.

Thanks Mr Babu,
If you want to collab just yell. I have so few skills I need to collaborate to finish things well. Besides collaborations can be ace fun as well as productive.
You're, as ever, very kind.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Rayc.
i really liked that clean gtr starting at 2m12secs.
and the gtr's each side of the stereo image.
nice ending.
best
om
ps getting rid of fizzies..per one of your posts.
Ray.
heres what i do with those genned fizzy rt's...a tricky mate.
sometimes works sometimes dont.
1. i load reaps reafir on the trak.
2. go deep zooming into the fizz (HA HA SONG NAME>> INTO THE FIZZ lol i'm in a silly mood today.)
3. get a noise print of the fizz.
4. in reaps apply the noise print fizz to whole trak NOT HEAVY JUST GENTLE REDUCTION.
5. delete reafir, then load in a gtr amp plug in and re-amp eg commercial paid plug in or one of reaps
free gtr plug ins eg bassman or free freeamp gtr plug in. etc etc.
give it a bash sometime.

best
om

I actually have ReaFir running on all non BIAB tracks to deal with the noise problem I have at my location:a BIG peak at about 17kHz and a hum at 50Hz & below. It's a decent filter but, like all, leaves artefacts.
I don't use amp sims/plugs...I do, occasionally, use an amp in a box pedal and when I do I use cab impulses to deal with some of the inherent issues.
If there's fizz in this track I'll go back and tweak.
Thanks for the pointers and the kind words.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray

I like the verse, guitars are good as is the bass & vocal.

I don't love the chorus drum - seems a bit busy and overpowering.

The solo which is good, might sound interesting with a harmony guitar?

Good work.

Peter

User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Ray
Good work.
Peter

Thanks peter,
I tried the harmony part but I failed to pull it off..nice idea though.
Yes, the drums are almost chaotic in the chorus - it was there, initially, becasue I wanted something garagey...eventually I decided to keep it as it offered the aggression and confusion of the chorus narrative...sophistry I know.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Ray

Good work.

Peter

Peter,
I've had another crack at the harmony part in the 2nd half of the solo and have attempted to tame the drums i the choruses a little more.

Cheers
rayc
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,690
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200