Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have lost my ever-loving mind! I know Towns, Guy Clark, personally.

Born in Houston, Texas. Been to San Antonio a hundred times.

Have I just gone brain dead and forgot?

I was trying out a new headset for my wife's new iPhone.

Opened the first youtube video I came to.

Copperhead Road by Steve Earle.

I was bolded over by both the instruments used and the lyrics.

How could I possibly have missed this?

The song and the lyrics. https://youtu.be/qdcF2V8OhcE

The backbeat on the drums at about 2min 40 is killer.
I am going to buy a Mandolin and learn to play this song!!

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 10/19/21 05:05 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Billy,

I don't know how missed Steve Earle. "Copperhead Road" was a pretty big hit. He has of course recorded several other good songs as you'll find by searching youtube.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What the hell has changed with the format on the forum? This new format sucks!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just checking...naw too much to the right, has to be some sort of error, don't like it...

Last edited by musiclover; 10/19/21 01:18 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Steve Earle - Guitar Town (Official Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AINUPFbFpqg

Steve Earle: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onxGMaIDxi0

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
What the hell has changed with the format on the forum? This new format sucks!

I suspect it may be related to the length of the string in the link from the original post:

"The official video. https://www.bing.com/... etc"

I don't think this issue occurs elsewhere.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
The energy of this song hooked me. Probably "the" song that connected me with Steve Earle music.

It had very good chart and playlist success for quite a duration.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copperhead_Road_(song)

How did you miss it? Maybe Living in a mine

Now that you have found Steve you may enjoy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Townes_Earle
I sure do. ex. "Christchurch Woman" "Harlem River Blues" Sadly there will be no New music from JT Earle

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I deleted the extended Vemo info, so things are back to normal.

Some of this for me has been a function of some pretty severe side-effects of my illness. I was Genuinely wondering if I just forgot. But for sure, I never listen to Copperhead Road.

Also, because Steve and I have so many mutual friends, it seems impossible that we would not have met somewhere along the line.

On a regular basis, just about all of the singer-songwriters wound up playing at a strange little joint called Anderson Fair. I cannot recall names Eric Tylor Towns, Van Zant, Guy Clark, Billy Simmons, David Wintz Nanci Griffith, and a host of others.

On a side note, Anderson Fair had two rooms, one for talking and one for listing. I can not tell you how many times Eric stopped in the middle of a song and told people to shut up or get out...lol.

As I have listened to steve's recordings, he does a classic Eric Tylor type of guitar sound now and then.

I sent him an email through his management company. I don't know if he will respond or not. I would love to sit down and talk with him about old friends we know who have passed on

Steve played bass in Guy Clark's band at some point.

As I have lived and worked worldwide, it is entirely possible I was not around when a specific song was published.

Non the less Copperhead Raod is a fantastic song.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Check out all of Steve Earle’s albums, he is a killer talent. Right up there with Bob Dylan as a lyricist. Also, make sure to check out the MOUNTAIN album by Del McCoury Band with Steve Earle. Steve sings lead on all of the songs and plays mandolin and guitar. Some of the best down and dirty bluegrass you can ever be exposed to. Steve spent one season touring with Del but was eventually asked to leave because of his propensity for dropping frequent F bombs on stage which didn’t sit well with the Bluegrass crowd.

There is a line from Roger Creager’s “Everclear” song that goes like this:

When I'm drinkin' everclear, I think I'm king of this whole world
I'm bigger and badder than John Wayne and cooler than Steve Earle.

Unless you have seen Steve play live, this lyric is meaningless. Search for his live concert on Austin City Limits YouTube channel.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Keith for the heads up.

Steve could know Eric Taylor as they played in many of the same venues. Eric played a large number of coffee houses and tells a story about the difference between what you can sing about in a Catholic coffee house and a unitarian coffee house...funny story

I use to play in a few pretty rough biker bars and developed some songs that were pretty rude or a little too close to home for some people. Pour a few shots on top of that and all manner of "bombs" can fall out. Been told to stop it now and again.

Miss Johnson at the Evening Shadows in Houston told me once don't be singing those crack cocaine songs in here because that poop is right on the other side of the door and we don't want to be reminded of it.

In these days of extreme political correctness, I have tried to eliminate as much as I can of language the people find offensive. Sometimes it is better just to not sing the song because some offensive situations are what the song is about, to begin with.

I read that Steve is strongly politically motivated on some issues and it is part of his persona to be direct in his speech even if it cost him some jobs.

I any rate and however late he is someone I would like to emulate. Cool stuff.

Billy

Seize the moo-ment
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,692
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200