Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Band in a box has been used for some time.
I mainly use BB VST. I will replace the drum with ujam drum
I found a problem. There are a lot of styles in band in a box, but most of the combination routines are bass, drum and guitar (sometimes 2 or 3 guitars)
I was wondering if the guitar would feel tacky with too many timbres, so I tried to replace it.
Because now many music has no guitar element, just synthesizer.
Sometimes when I remove some guitars and replace them with synth, I feel very modern.
Different rhythm will make the music feel different
Of course, I also like the combination of guitar and synth

WIN10 20H2, AMD R4800H ,16G , 2T ,FOCUSRITE 2i4 MKII,Studio One,FL STUDIO
Expert
Expert
Hmmm.
Again, the main purpose of BiaB is to recreate the sound of real musicians playing real instruments.

The RealTracks in particular, are actual recordings of real musicians and real instruments, adjusted by software to match the pitch and timing of the chord progressions you define. There are MIDI data to go with these tracks, but that MIDI data is just an approximation to what the musician actually played, though it may well still help with what you want.

MIDI tracks and MIDI-Supertracks are intended to be actual MIDI and might better suit what you want, depending partly on whether the synth idea you have is polyphonic or a monophonic.

As far as synthesizer sounds go, there are countless synthesizers out on the 'Net that can be controlled by the MIDI you choose. In many ways, it's the "morphing" of the synthesis that sets its character, so controlling that is definitely (IMHO) a task for the producer, rather than a tool like BiaB.

Whether you use a software synthesizer or a physical synthesizer is probably personal preference.

I think, personally, that trying to include a rich set of moderns synthesizers into BiaB would, at best, be a never-ending process of "add a synth"; "it's too dated"; repeat.

I think you really need to find synthesizers on the 'Net' or from a hardware manufacturer to get the sounds you want, and then use BiaB's MIDI to control the notes and the DAW's automation to control any morphing. There are free software synthesizers out there, as well and a large number of commercial offerings.

Last edited by Gordon Scott; 10/25/21 02:13 AM.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Expert
Expert
There are 76 pages of free software synthesizers, at around 10 per page, here: https://vstwarehouse.com/software-synthesizer/

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
SBMix.
with resperct your approaching this wrong imho.
you have a threadripper pc right.
ryzen will eat realband for breakfast.
try this method.
1. open realband (rb)...and config your asio interface.
2. layout your chords.
3. start auditioning midi styles.
4. when you find one you like , start right cliking over blank rb traks and gen midi bass/drum/synth traks whatever. at the same time plugging in modern sounding
sample player and/or synth plug ins. ive already given you links to loads of free plug ins.
5. work on your modern arrangement till you get it right.

THEN later you can do further tests adding real traks if you wish. THE KEY IS RIGHT CLIK OVER A RB FREE TRACK
AND YOULL SEE A BIG VERTICAL MENU. LOOK AT THE GENERATION OPTION...the beauty of rb is you have 48 traks.
also a tip LEARN BARS VIEW, very usefull for moveing around midi bars/arrange as you want.

best
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
OM in all due respect there is nothing wrong with SBmix's approach. Note there is nothing wrong with your approach either.

I have done what SBmix has done. In fact in a song I will be posting soon I took a Celtic harp RT, used Melodyne to convert it to MIDI (the chart version of said RT was not correct), then used that MIDI track to control an orchestra harp. I have also used RTs converted to MIDI to control soft synths. Note that I did the conversions in my DAW Studio One Pro.

The bottom line is that there is usually more than one way to achieve your goals in BiaB, RealBand, and/or any other DAW.

YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
With all due respect to both of you, I don't believe the OP is looking for this or any other kind of advice. He says, "I found a problem." That problem is too many guitars & too many Jazz styles, and "too few modern synths" & too few Pop styles. He knows how to fix it for himself, but he wants to be really clear that this is a serious problem with BIAB: it's just too old-fashioned.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 10/25/21 08:29 AM.
Expert
Expert
define old fashioned..........maybe BIAB isn't the program you want if you want a different kind of music.

if it doesn't do what you want try something else. i have a martin d35. it's not a stratocaster but i'm not accusing martin guitars of being old fashioned. in fact i've got a strat clone for when i want it. both are guitars but i choose the right one for the right job. maybe BIAB isn't right for the OP.

Veteran
Veteran
Exactly, what Bob said!

There are a huge number of music making applications other than BIAB. BIAB doesn't and shouldn't have to be all things to all people. crazy

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
i just went thru the stylepicker useing the following filters. ultrapak 2020 no addons...
funk 665 results
rap 91 results
modern 687
pop 3,553
tek 68
electro 57
edm 27
synth 603

i still say rb is the appropriate pg app cos of all the
midi and plug in manipulation capabilities.
as to limited synth capabilities i disagree.
i have synth out the ying yangs includeing sforzando
and free synths i got like dune and loads of others.

i really think folks any music genre can be done in biab or rb. ITS ALL IN THE METHODS YOU USE.imho.
you can even start off with blank style in stylepicker and roll your own approach.

i really wonder if people saying biab and/or rb cant do certain moderrn styles//things have really delved into all the features of both at a deep level.
let me say in the past with styles ages ago i would have agreed with the too many old/jazz styles comment.
but in the last few years i really cant say that.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 10/25/21 10:59 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
BIAB doesn't and shouldn't have to be all things to all people. crazy

I'd go further than that ... there are literally hundreds of synthesizers out there, each with dozens of parameters that can be tweaked either to get a specific sound, or to get morphing sounds.

I cannot see any way that an application like BiaB could, or should, sensibly even try to replicate the countless, tending towards infinity, sounds and morphs that can be produced. It would, IMHO, be crazy even to try.

BiaB will send MIDI to a synthesizer.
Use a synthesizer.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Yes MIDI, as said audio is one type of sound that you can't change but only add FX to but with MidiSuperTracks or MidiUserTracks the sound can be unique and infinitely variable.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Save the Biab song to SGU
Open SGU in JJazzLab
Select a style https://psrtutorial.com/styles/PSR-SX900%20Styles/Dance.zip
Export to Midi
Import Biab

https://psrtutorial.com/sty/yamaha/psr-sx900.html

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Key-Styles-Dance.png (148.47 KB, 196 downloads)
JJazzLab-2-Bar.png (19.26 KB, 191 downloads)
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S

Pipeline:

This is very interesting. There are a lot of styles in Yamaha, Korg and ketron arranger keyboards
Can you use BIAB to open these styles?

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Rename TurkishEuro.T152.prs or TurkishEuro.T152.sty to
TurkishEuro.T152.prs.mid

File > StyleMaker > StyleWizard

The midi file will have section markers, you should be able to make a MultiStyle with the A B C D parts.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Key-Style-Markers.png (19.11 KB, 166 downloads)
S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
Pipeline:

I opened Yamaha's style file with band in a box
But it feels messy.

my video:

https://ufile.io/lucpabak

P
Veteran
Veteran
P

S
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S
I don't understand cry

Expert
Online Content
Expert
I never even knew this existed. Quite useful. It really needs an XG soundfont or soundsource to sound really good though.

Kevin smile

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=309685

The keyboard style midi file will have Midi Section Markers
Open the midi file in the Style Wizard
Set the A section
Set the B section
Set A Fill
Set B Fill
Set what instruments go on each track

The Lyrics window will show the Midi Marker Sections

Then "Generate NEW style..."

BB21-StyleWizard.png (48.86 KB, 91 downloads)
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I don't know how you create the MultiStyles+ ?
If I Edit the current Midi MultiStyle I can't see the C D sections.
And can't see how to add Endings in the StyleWizard ?
May have to ask in the Beginners Forum.

BB21-MultiStyle.png (65.22 KB, 85 downloads)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199