Page 2 of 2 1 2
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
...plastic clips...

Guitar picks are, hands down, the best tool for the job when it comes to things held together with plastic clips.

Another reason us keyboard players didn't get the chicks...

As a keyboard player myself, I think it's mostly because it's impossible to look cool playing keyboards - unless your last name is Jarre of course.

I work here
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Are you saying Canadian born keyboardist Paul Shaffer ain't cool? C'mon

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ha, he looks like an an aging accounting professor trying to look cool... Been busy, sorry to be late to my own thread. A followup to my system. I took it apart and there was very little dust but I cleaned anyway. When I went looking for my PC toolkit I also found a little USB powered external 3.5" fan I bought years ago and completely forgot about. I plugged that in, placed it right next to the cooling holes and it works great. I can move my 40" tall portable swamp cooler back into it's den until next summer. I use it to supplement my AC because the elctric bills where I'm at are horrendous.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well, I'm still not completely out of the woods. After fixing the initial glitches from over heating, the system starting taking 15-20 minutes to boot. I didn't say anything here because it was working and I needed it to get me through the October 15 tax filing season. Then I would look to figure that out. I checked the Start menu to see if some app was hanging things up but saw nothing like that.

Last week there was a Windows update and after it installed the boot time was back to normal but yesterday it's back to being over 15 minutes again but it's not consistant. It seems to be going back and forth between normal and taking forever like today. This morning it took almost 20 minutes, I had it on for a few hours and decided to do a restart as a test and it booted right up. Before I give up and get or build a new system I was thinking of doing the Windows Repair thing where it cleans up the OS but keeps all the files and see if that helps but I'm thinking it's probably physical like a failing power supply or the memory or something like that. Any ideas?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
I was thinking about your power supply as I read your report. It’s easy to use a power supply tester to check that. Mine is maybe 15 years old now but it only cost me about $20 back then.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
With an intermittent issue like that, I'm leaning towards hardware myself. Power supply, hard drive, RAM, in that order I'd say.

If you have a standard multimeter you can check how many volts your PSU is putting out - it should be within 10%. Unfortunately that test does not properly load-test the power supply, but assuming you test voltage with the computer powered on that should be a start. I'd test from an unused 4-pin Molex connectors - you should get 5v and 12v from those. Do NOT try to measure Amps using a multimeter unless you know what you're doing, that will likely short out the power supply and - at best - pop the fuse in the multimeter without further damage, and at worst could start a fire.

Hard drive, try and get the SMART data from it. Even if the software says it passes, look for things like Load Cycle and see if they're excessively high (over 300,000).

Ram - load Memtest86 onto a USB stick and run that overnight until it passes at least 3 times with no failure. It's possible for inconsistent RAM to pass, hence going for at least 3 passes. Leave it for a few days if you like.

I work here
Veteran
Veteran
Memtest is a good suggestion. It’s the easiest way to rule out one possible cause.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,526
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199