Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#679292 10/25/21 06:50 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Our tires were slashed in our driveway. Felt so weird someone would do that. Have no idea who vandal was.
Need suggestions for security camera with lights motion activated easy diy install and use and reliable. And CHEAP.
Anybody using one you'd recommend?
Josie

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I use cameras from Arlo.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Same as Matt, Arlo. I use 4 cameras.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Trail cameras also work quite well and can be cheaper than camera security systems. They start around $35 retail and up at Wal-mart. Battery life runs close to one year. They have the same motion range as security systems and are quite rugged in severe outdoor weather conditions.

They are more mobile than home based security systems and run independently of each other so if one suffers a failure, it has no effect on any others you may have. They can be placed in stealthier locations and easily camouflaged to be undetectable.

You can set them and forget them for a year unless you have reason to check them.

Trail cams come in many configurations and with many options. Work indoors and outdoors. Resistant to extreme weather. They can upload to the cloud as well as send images and text alerts to your mobile phone instantly. Some even sweep up to 360 degrees.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Great idea Charlie, thanks!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Being in the security business for 30 years..... I often tell folks to buy those inexpensive trail cameras. Put several around and have them looking at the area you want to observe as well as a few just looking at the obvious cams. People will steal the cameras and you can often get really good pics of them if you place a few in hidden places.

There's been a lot of really low cost consumer grade stuff coming on the market that works well enough for most cases like yours. I don't deal with those so I'm not up to speed on the low end gear. What I install is higher end commercial grade high resolution IP cameras and is cost prohibitive to most homeowners.

Hopefully, that vandalism was a once and gone thing. Tires are expensive.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just to comply with forum rules, make it ‘music-related’. For example, you need surveillance because someone left an accordion in your unlocked car.

The trail cam is a great suggestion, including as a way to protect the more expensive cameras. Good thinking.

Arlo, in case other readers do not know, is the kind of device that syncs to your WiFi. I can look at my house door, yard and dock from afar. I keep my Arlo base station and my Internet modem and router on an uninterruptible power supply.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
This morning I was starting out on a walk with the dogs. 6 AM. Someone thought I was breaking into my own house. Dogs are small so they did not see them. All they saw was skinny little me fuddling with the keys.

I am not happy at all about the incident.

...Deb

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Matt, are the Arlo cams hard to zero in on the exact amount of movement before the capture is triggered? I have Foscams and they are a NIGHTMARE to get just right. I go back and forth from no captures to 100 a night from leaves blowing across the yard. Level 7 is too soft, level 8 is too hard.

Josie is your driveway where the crime happened in a very dark place or is it well lit? I have 4 solar powered motion detecting light on my property, 2 of them aimed at where the trailer is parked. When I leave the car in the driveway in front of the garage I want a lot of light on it should there be movement (and for topic compliance I'll add) because sometimes there may be an amp or something left in it if I am too lazy to unload it.

Herb, is that not the ultimate in irony when someone steals a camera that is put in place to deter theft?

Although maybe not as bad as a guy who hoards guitars and rarely plays guitar anymore... (That would be me...)

Either way Josie, it sucks that you had to go through that. I hope either your homeowner or car insurance covered it. I don't know your area but it sounds like punks with nothing better to do likely did it. Mainly because they did all 4. Someone revenge motivated hits one and runs because they know whatever they are getting revenge for makes them an immediate suspect. Two at most because they know people carry ONE spare...

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Just to comply with forum rules, make it ‘music-related’. For example, you need surveillance because someone left an accordion in your unlocked car.
grin grin grin

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you so much guys. My driveway is too dark. I really appreciate all the great info.
I knew y'all would point me to the right path.

Josie

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Thank you so much guys. My driveway is too dark. I really appreciate all the great info.

Josie

Motion sensor security lighting might be a very good deterrent (in case someone also attempts to place a banjo alongside the accordion... grin ).

The units come complete with bright low-power LED lighting and integrated motion sensor, adjustable timing - typically a few seconds to 10 minutes, and an adjustable light sensor so that they can be set to only work after sunset.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2021-10-27_13-41-33.jpg (33.46 KB, 146 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Or, you could just get some 'real' security....

EDITED to keep post musical...

This security will make a culprit sing a new tune

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
working-dog-1781147_1280-1.jpg (73.97 KB, 138 downloads)
Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 10/27/21 01:05 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance

Josie

Get cameras that have IR illumination built in. They will say that in the specs. IR is invisible to the human eye so the perps think they're working in the dark.... as a result, they are less cautious about showing their faces and the IR lights them up like daytime.

Get the highest MP ( megapixel ) rated camera you can afford. You will not regret that. Better pic quality when you digitally zoom in.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Or, you could just get some 'real' security....

EDITED to keep post musical...

This security will make a culprit sing a new tune

That's just is too funny Charlie...lol

Just to keep it musical.

No one messes with me after I got BIG TINY LITTLE JUNiOR

No lights in the world can compare with a well-trained Dobe.

Sorry, you have to deal with low-life genetically defective humanoid garbage.

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Get cameras that have IR illumination built in.

Good advice Herb. Most all security cameras offer that as a default option these days. The Arlo ones that Matt and I use have it as well. Mine have an option to turn on a spotlight when motion is detected too.

Steve

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I use both.
Motion detecting lights (multiple) and camera.
The camera also sends a notice to phone in case I am not home and sends the most recent video to phone if requested so I can see what's going on before reacting.

We also have dogs, one that is old enough to be helpful and bark, and a couple pups that are still learning <grin>
Won't be long before they are bigger than the old guy though.

I used to work construction in Chicago many moons ago, and had a few rough guys that were 'ex' gang members under me (though I am sure at least one still had a lot of pull observing how the others respected him).
Anyway .. he once told me, when a thief is looking for a house to break into and there are 10 houses on the block .. if four of them have a dog, you got 6 to pick from.
That stuck with me

Last edited by rharv; 10/27/21 02:09 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
A nosy neighbor helps also.

Years ago, my sister had a car repossessed for lack of payment. The car did not run and she did not have the money for the repair.

Her neighbor had my phone number.

First call: someone is messing with your sister's car. My response: It is getting repossessed.

Second call: the car in now in the street. My response: It is getting repossessed. They have to move it.

Third call: it is on a trailer and is being driven away. My response: that happens when a repossessed car doesn't run.

Her response: I guess I am being a nosy neighbor. My response: yes.

Never heard from her again about the car.

...Deb

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Josie. My suggestion is that if you are going to light the area, put the lights on a motion sensor. The light turning on will startle the vandal, and the appearance of the light will provide a warning to you and/or your neighbors that something is going on outside.

Also, don't make the light shine on your neighbors' houses. Don't be guilt of light trespassing.

I have a rude neighbor across the street and back from the road about 300' who has multiple very bright lights aimed outward, and 3 of them are shining into our bedroom window. He says it's a theft deterrent.

I say I can make hand-shadow puppets on the opposite wall inside my house at night.

I've planted some Downy Jasmine bushes, hopefully by next summer they will be tall and dense enough to block the light.

Good luck, I hope it never happens again to you.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yep... motion activated lights are one of the cheapest and easiest ways to deter criminal activity. No one wants to be seen while doing their nefarious deeds.

Light shows them and light attracts attention. They want neither.

www.herbhartley.com

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,465
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195