Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
lol.
my wife needs a new win budget laptop for her work.
been looking at acer 5 for example.
what i cant seem to find out is do the new laptops come with 2 nvme ssd slots. very little info on ltops that come with 2 ssd slots.

preferably fast boot..would appreciate any input.

tia.
om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
If you google/bing laptop computers with 2 nvme ssd slots you will find some answers. From what I saw a couple with 2 such slots while most have only one. A deeper search than my glance may prove me wrong.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Mario.
best to you.
i posted cos ive been googling like crazy n finding v little info on 2 ssd nvme or 2 slot m.2 ltops.
its surprised me actually the lack of product.
most are one slot.
of course i have nefarious reasons my wife says lol.
i figure see how good hers is, if good...also might be usefull for running daw apps etc when away from home etc
on holiday and sketching out ideas.

i mistakenly assumed 2 slot internal ssd was widely available.

thanks/god bless.
om

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
i mistakenly assumed 2 slot internal ssd was widely available.

It's quite a high-end feature in a laptop. Look at brands like Sager for that kind of feature, and maybe professional series laptops like some Lenovo Thinkpads and HP Elitebooks.

On the budget side, you may find a laptop that has an M.2 slot as well as a 2.5" SATA bay - that would allow you to install two SSD's, albeit with one of them being a little slower than the other (but still MUCH faster than a hard drive).

I work here
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Simon.
good call on the 11400.
check this desktop deal by acer with ssd and 11400 etc.
900 buckies cdn
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ace...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

whaddya think for a daw.
ive used acer in the past. never EVER had even a sniff of a problem.

----------------------------------------------
on the wife lappie need, once again looks like acer 5 might be one solution. for value. but no 2 ssd slots looks like...maybe a ryzen.

whaddya think of these lappies for a daw.
pricey tho'.

https://www.adkproaudio.com/audio-video-production-computers/music-production-laptops

om

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 10/26/21 10:40 AM.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Simon.
good call on the 11400.
check this desktop deal by acer with ssd and 11400 etc.
900 buckies cdn
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ace...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

whaddya think for a daw.
ive used acer in the past. never EVER had even a sniff of a problem.

It looks like it'd be fine, but for the price you could build something far cheaper, or even have something custom built. Parts cost for an 11400 machine is about $675 for CPU, motherboard, 16gb ram, 500gb SSD, case, 450w power supply, and Windows 10 Home OEM. Most of the local shops will assemble and install Windows for around $100 if you buy the parts from them, so you're around $775 plus tax for an assembled computer. Replacement parts on something like that are easier to source - I'm not sure about Acer, but modern Dell/HP/other desktops use proprietary connectors for many things, and typically you can't replace the motherboard or PSU...

They look humongous, but if your goal is a mobile recording studio that's exactly the kind of thing I'd buy.

I work here
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Simon.
merci n thanks.
v good points bout parts.
i wish threadripper amd werent soo pricey.

wifey wants to buy me the biab 2022 upgrade for xmas.
i'm spoilt. she says that way she gets the tv remote lmao.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 10/26/21 02:38 PM.

Veteran
Veteran

There's always a trade-off, isn't there? wink

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Simon.
merci n thanks.
v good points bout parts.
i wish threadripper amd werent soo pricey.

Same, I'd love one. The i5 and my other i9 machine will do well for me though.

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Not a bad tradeoff I think - I'd much rather be making music than watching TV!

I work here
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Simon.
well as tv is awful these days (cept pbs) maybe i'll build a new pc for the studio.
based around that 11400 or a cheap ryzen. with 2 nvme or m.2 ssd. 32 g ram etc etc. gonna look at different mainboards.
i havent been keeping up on mainboards for awhile. i gotta do research.

tv has got silly with tooo many ads. specially american tv...in any half hour say of big bang its like half is all darn ads.
it seems the pandemic has meant even more ads. dunno why.
(ps evo has not disappointed yet/given me hassles.)
any tips on pc builds greatly appreciated.
best
om

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Not a bad tradeoff I think - I'd much rather be making music than watching TV!

Me included!

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Simon.
well as tv is awful these days (cept pbs) maybe i'll build a new pc for the studio.
based around that 11400 or a cheap ryzen. with 2 nvme or m.2 ssd. 32 g ram etc etc. gonna look at different mainboards.

Ahh yeah, PBS is good.

What do you need two NVMe for? Get one big one and partition it if you need to. On my upcoming 11400 machine, I'll have a 2tb NVMe and 32gb ram so those specs look good to me.

I work here
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Simon.
re 2 nvme.
in the spinning drive era for studio pc.s i used to have 2 drives in a desktop. one for win and one for daw duties,..so this let win do its own thing on its own physical drive. daws in the past seemed to work better that way. lots of studios did it plus mebe a third drive if into sample libs. a plus was also cross back ups.

now mebe given the speeds of nvme mebe this approach isnt needed these days. but i just like 2 drive approach ssd
cos also drives are cheap these days.

to explain further..way i work is once a song is finished
i offload to a raft of on site and offsite backups...
includeing old drives i put in enclosures and usb pen drives. i'm a tad crazy when it comes to backups.
also got couple of those usb boxes i can put ssd;s
n old spin drives in. lots of back up options.
thus i dont need big size drives.
couple of 256 gig nvme would do it for me.
one for win, and one for daw work...as i do a song at a time.

ideally simon, i would like a processor rated on cpubenchmark.net at 20,000...but i cant find one thats in my budget. so the 11400 rated at 13,000 i hope might fit the bill.
anyhoo most of my songs max out at 30 odd traks. and i'm not a plug in nut. i use mainly low resource plug ins. an old la producer i once knew used to
say 'if ya need a zillion traks n fx...
mebe songs no good...'
so far , over the years ive done bout 90
songs useing biab/rb/reaps , and keeping his philosophy in mind.

hope i make sense.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 10/28/21 01:18 PM.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Simon.
re 2 nvme.
in the spinning drive era for studio pc.s i used to have 2 drives in a desktop. one for win and one for daw duties,..so this let win do its own thing on its own physical drive. daws in the past seemed to work better that way. lots of studios did it plus mebe a third drive if into sample libs. a plus was also cross back ups.

now mebe given the speeds of nvme mebe this approach isnt needed these days. but i just like 2 drive approach ssd
cos also drives are cheap these days.

Ah yes, that makes sense. Multiple SSD's won't make much difference in speed in some circumstances, since they would all connect over DMI which is a x4 link and most NVMe SSD's are x4, so the link speed would be effectively shared on two SSD's if I'm understanding it correctly. I think transferring data from one SSD to the other would be faster but you're not likely to be doing a lot of that from the sounds of it.

Logically speaking though, it can definitely be handy to have system and audio data on separate SSD's.

i'm a tad crazy when it comes to backups.
also got couple of those usb boxes i can put ssd;s
n old spin drives in. lots of back up options.

IMHO if you're not "crazy when it comes to backups", you're not really backing up. ONE backup is not enough. I was taught that 5 backups, some in different locations, was the minimum.

ideally simon, i would like a processor rated on cpubenchmark.net at 20,000...but i cant find one thats in my budget. so the 11400 rated at 13,000 i hope might fit the bill.
anyhoo most of my songs max out at 30 odd traks. and i'm not a plug in nut. i use mainly low resource plug ins. an old la

The 11400 is rated at 17290 from Passmark, that should be plenty fast. My i9 is only 18823, not much difference - both are MUCH faster than my work machine with an i5-3550 which is rated 4770! It does the job fine though, more than enough for the audio work I do here.

Get plenty of RAM - I went with 64gb on my studio machine, but I probably end up with more tracks than you do for the type of music I'm doing.

Last edited by Simon - PG Music; 10/29/21 08:47 AM.

I work here
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Simon.
thanks for the reply.
tbh when apple m1 came out i found it v interesting.
but figured as apple was now doing its own silicon,
replaceing intel that intel strategically would reply with new product in some manner.

what i cant assess is 11400 vs m1 performance wise.
it doesnt look to me that m1 is slaying the 11400.
or am i incorrect in this viewpoint.

for example it doesnt bother me that 11400 is a couple of secs slower than m1 in mixing to stereo a 30 trak mix.
the m1 IS superb tech, i'm just wondering , in real life daily daw use how much diff a daw user might notice m1 over the 11400 given both useing ssd's.

just out of curiosity why 11400 over say a ryzen 5.
what mainboards do you like for 11400.

--------------------------------------

best
om

ps..lmao. i'm still rooting for the rasp pi.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 10/29/21 10:14 AM.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Passmark has a benchmark available for the M1 - it's rated at 15161 vs the i5-11400 rated at 17290. Remember that the first systems they put the M1 in were the more "light duty" systems like the MacBook Air and Mac Mini, the fastest of which are still a solid 30-40% slower than the M1. Also keep in mind that we're comparing a CPU that consumes only 15 watts and doesn't require a fan to a CPU that consumes 65 watts and requires active cooling.

Now they've just released the new M1 Pro, which benchmarks slightly higher than an i9-11900...

I personally chose Intel as some audio apps still don't perform as well on AMD. Motherboards, I like whatever is on sale.

I work here
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Simon.
i cant believe it, but refurbs are already appearing for m1 mac mini and 11400. i saw a couple of deals this week
on both but already snapped up. people are getting wise to the refurbs.

thanks for the info. its impressive the power needs of the m1...

best
om

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I'm not surprised there are refurbs for either. For Apple at least, anything is a refurb if it entered customer hands - aka if it was bought and returned opened. People have been wise to Apple refurbs for a while, but a bit slower on the Windows ones.

I'm very impressed with the M1 myself. Having 85% of the power of my i9 desktop in a 1.6cm thick laptop is just mind-blowing.

I work here
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
Years ago, I wandered into a common electronics store looking for a windows laptop - something to do documents on.

Their used prices were amazing. I ended up with a medium level Dell for $200.00. It had Windows 10 with no extras (ads, games, etc.)

Only problem it had was scratches from the security locks to keep it in the store while it was on display.

Still using it.

...Deb

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,689
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200