Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#679178 10/25/21 03:00 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I have a Galaxy A2

Mrs. Notes is using an aging iPad Air - it needs to be replaced. She doesn't want another Apple device.

All she uses it for is couch-surfing, so it needs WiFi but no phone.

We want it to be nice but not expensive, as she has a high-end ThinkPad for serious work.

Any suggestons?

And why?

Thanks.

Mr. Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Notes.
i am highly impressed with my 80 buk amazon fire tablet.
it is FAST. if all you want to do is net surfing , cant be beat imho.
my wife uses it for girly stuff, candy crush game,lol
and researching new stuff for the house etc.
i use it for looking at studio stuff.
i love the high res screen and it boots fast.
no brainer imho in a world where tech is rapidly obsolete...also have a cheapo chromebook i'm useing now
..not as portable as fire tablet but also nice
om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 10/25/21 03:27 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Another +1 for the fire tablet.

I have had one for a number of years now. Since it is an older model it takes a few seconds to boot but once it is up and running everything is quite fast.

Also I have an SD card installed that contains all of my software documentation. Thus I can keep my DAW, BiaB, soft synths, etc up and running while I view the docs on the tablet.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks!!!

Will the Fire run the Android apps I already have on my phone?

I read it's based on the Android OS, but not sure if I can get to the play store.

The only app I would really like to be sure she can get is My Radar.

Thanks again,
Bob

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
i have a samsung galaxy tab a - runs android latest version and didn't break the bank

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Notes.
i went on my fire to the app store for it.
loads of apps includeing weather.
just google amazon fire weather apps and see what takes your fancy. frankly ive never dloaded a weather app.
cos fire tells me what today/the week is gonna be like.
i guess its built in.

om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
frankly ive never dloaded a weather app.

I pretty much just look out a window...

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For straight forward day to day apps, I have found that Android is Android. Different speed processors and more memory and all that are overkill to do simple things. I only use my iPad to watch football on Sundays when there are 3 games on at once. I watch 2 on computer monitors and one on the iPad.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Since we play a lot of outdoor gigs here in Florida, real-time radar is a great benefit. We can see the showers, how they are moving, and how likely we are going to get wet right here, not in the general area.

The rain down here is mostly scattered T-Storms. NOAA can say 70% chance and the showers might be no closer than 10 miles from us, or often, since we have a strong sea-breeze, they might be confined to a few miles west of the coast where we are.

We all have our wants and needs, I haven't watched a football game, or any other sport on TV since the 1970s. Actually I haven't watched any TV since the early 1990s - zilch - nada - zero.

I'm thinking either a Fire or a Galaxy Tab A right now.

I'm pretty invested in Android myself, so I would be able to set it up for Mrs. Notes easily.

I'll be glad to see the iPad gone. Transferring files from Android to Windows is easy, transferring files from Apple to anything non-Apple is a PITA.

I originally bought the iPad for the music apps, which I found I never used. I messed around with Garage Band a bit, but I ran into it's limitations rather quickly, it ain't no Band-in-a-Box.

I thought the battery was tanked, so I bought an Android for myself, and later I realized it wasn't the battery, but the charger. Mrs. Notes has been using the iPod since, but now the battery isn't holding a charge all that long, and I'd rather replace the tablet. I found a place that will buy it and refurbish it. https://www.gizmogo.com/

Thanks again for all your input. I'm putting my thinking cap back on.

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You do have to be aware of hurricanes and such down there. Not to mention "the daily storm" you get. We just had some f0 and f1 tornados touch down here (Only 4-5 miles from me to be exact) and the whole of northeast Ohio said "Huh? HERE???" The first confirmed touch down around me in 16 years.

I got the iPad for Facetime calling. Most of my friends have Android and use Duo or Zoom, but there's that straggler here or there who is still an Apply fanboi with the yearly phone upgrades to run the latest iOS...

Last edited by eddie1261; 10/25/21 03:55 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The hurricanes are usually no problem. Unlike tornadoes, earthquakes and tsunamis, we usually get days of advance notice to prepare.

Those afternoon T-Storms are another problem indeed. Sometimes they seem to come out of nowhere. I've lived in Florida since I was 10 years old, so I have a basic handle on the weather patterns, the problem is that Mother Nature gets inventive from time to time.

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
The hurricanes are usually no problem. Unlike tornadoes, earthquakes and tsunamis, we usually get days of advance notice to prepare.

Those afternoon T-Storms are another problem indeed. Sometimes they seem to come out of nowhere. I've lived in Florida since I was 10 years old, so I have a basic handle on the weather patterns, the problem is that Mother Nature gets inventive from time to time.

Notes ♫

Nothing like a Soupy Green Sky in August (there's a song title for you!), sitting in a plane at Miami Int'l and watching the ground staff disappear. Lightning within 5 miles (or 10, can't remember). Sit on the plane until they come back.

Isn't the Everglades the lightning capital of the U.S.?

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Notes I was driving back from Florida once in a little Geo Tracker. I had just gone through the speed trap that is Waldo (population 825) and as I neared Jacksonville "the daily storm" blew in and I had to park that little car against the leeward wall of a Waffle House because the winds were pushing it sideways so bad. It felt like tornadic force winds.

To be on topic, I never stopped playing music...

Even more on topic, any tablet like a Fire that has an SD card slot will fill the bill for you. While it isn't 100% correct to say an Amazon Fire tabled runs Android because they run their own FireOS, it is so similar to Android that the Android apps will run fine. Semantics.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob,

I look at Miami radar or Key West Radar most every day before I ride my bike. Also outdoor gigs in the keys. I normally do that on my iPhone or Eva's Android phone. Real-time radar.

I have two tablets. One call a Dragon Touch and the smaller one is from Amazon. Fire. The Amazon one was sent to me as a gift from Amazon. The larger one is a little better to watch movies on but they both work the same. As far as speed is concerned who cares if surfing the internet is all you are doing. I had another expensive one from Apple but it failed so I tossed it in the trash. Anything serious and I am on my computer anyway.

Looking at Amazon 8" Fire $90 Better 10' Tablet $140
Anything in that range will do the job.

Billy

Last edited by Planobilly; 10/26/21 09:19 AM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Love your feet Billy.....

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly

Looking at Amazon 8" Fire $90 Better 10' Tablet $140
Anything in that range will do the job.

Billy

How much to get your toes done like that?

Ducking and running for cover grin grin grin grin grin grin

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
LOL Mario...I had to laugh when I saw the photo. Looks like I have been walking around in mud also but it is just a shadow.

My wife says I must have a large percent of aboriginal blood in me lol. Perhaps she is correct.

Like I always say "I like to sleep late in the morning, don't like to wear no shoes, make love to the women while I'm living, get drunk on a bottle of Booze"

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
Like I always say "I like to sleep late in the morning, don't like to wear no shoes, make love to the women while I'm living, get drunk on a bottle of Booze"

Billy

We have a lot in common my friend!

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I had a nook color as my first android DNA tablet and then a Samsung galaxy Tab3. Amazon fire tablets are the cheapest. At one time they wouldn’t let you side load apps but my guess is that limitation is gone now.

Here’s what I found with the Samsung: Android seems to obsolete devices more rapidly than Apple if you want the latest OS. So you have to be careful with that.

For the existing iPad you have, run battery health and if it is truly bad you will see it there. I’m assuming you are familiar with the regular clean out of lightning ports. If not, it’s diy and more often than not fuzz in there prevents good charging.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TheMaartian
<...snip...>

Isn't the Everglades the lightning capital of the U.S.?

<...>

One of the two different day jobs I had while investigating what it was to be normal (neither one lasted all that long) was working for the telephone company, back when all telephones were attached to wires.

In the engineering department there was a map of lighting strikes across North America. The 'lightning capital' was an oval shape from Tampa Bay to Palm Beach with the oval wider on the Tampa side. The most lightning strikes per year in North America. There were concentric ovals around that. It puts the Everglades (and where I live) in the #2 spot.

On an outdoor gig I frequently monitor the radar on my phone and I bring a huge tarp. Monitoring the radar lets me know if I need to get the tarp out and ready.

Whenever I leave the house or when I go to bed at night, every piece of electronics gear gets unplugged.

One day back in the 1980s Mrs. Notes and I went out for lunch. I forgot to unplug. One of those storms popped up out of nowhere while we were eating, and an Akai S900 hardware sampler plus a laser printer got fried. That was an expensive lunch, and I haven't forgotten to unplug since. In fact, I have a light connected to remind me that the gear is plugged in.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'm investigating, making a list of pros and cons (the best I can), and I'm going to leave the final decision to my dear wife. After all, she is going to be the one to use it.

Notes ♫

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,489
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195