Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Can we just agree that the song, production and performance are all stellar? Cool! I always comment on those aspects because y'all dominate in those areas. cool

That being said, did the video meet those same standards? In my opinion, it was @%&^'$ awesome! Hmmm...I got censored. Let me try this another way. That video @%&^'$ blew me away! Ok. Moving on I guess. cry

Seriously, that brought it to the next level on every level. Janice is a natural at everything; that's obvious. I don't think you can teach someone how to sing like OR connect with a camera like that. Sure you can mimic it, like butter and "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" (I can believe it's not) but there's always something missing that makes it "real," authentic, and genuine. Most people would categorize those as synonyms, but I do feel they have very subtle differences to me. She is every subtle variation.

Video-I loved the choice of going to the "black and white" and all the shades that come with that side of things. At times, I feel the use of color may dictate an emotion as much as anything else; without realizing it, possibly into an emotion you're not intending. Your choice added TO the emotion and emphasized the feel without dictating it. I believe you know that many time I prefer to listen to a song without seeing the video at the same time. I made an exception here knowing your goal. Amazing! To me, this added to the song in every way. It was subtle, but never boring. The angles, the use of motion, composition, all masterfully done. I don't know how much you had to pay the wind, but you even had that workin' for ya! Now, I'm not going claim to be even remotely educated in these areas; but I do have to frame drone shots often enough. All I can say is, I felt major connection to the song BECAUSE of the video!

"Nothing lasts forever" in the cemetery, then even more so by what was a VERY large tree that is no longer there strikes every aspect of that moment. Speechless! SO, powerful. I don't believe that is an image I will ever forget. I sincerely believe made into a print, that image would strike a chord with so many people. Truly amazing!

How crazy is it that we can do this with a little device we carry around with us...and this isn't even it's primary use? These are the parts of technology I love. Especially in the hands of people who strive to use it to connect people.

Well, I'll end it there for now. My daughter was just telling me if I put a period between each letter I can type pretty much anything and the bots won't censor it. So here we go with my earlier comments using this technique...
In my opinion, it was R.E.A.L.L.Y awesome!
That video R.E.A.L.L.Y blew me away!
What do you know...it worked! grin

"That being said, did the video meet those same standards? In my opinion, it was @%&^'$ awesome! Hmmm...I got censored. Let me try this another way. That video @%&^'$ blew me away! Ok. Moving on I guess. cry "
smile smile smile

"Sure you can mimic it, like butter and "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" (I can believe it's not) but there's always something missing that makes it "real," authentic, and genuine."

I (Bud) have always referred to her singing as coming from the method actor mode. It is very thoughtful of you to mention that.

"All I can say is, I felt major connection to the song BECAUSE of the video!"

Wow, thank you. We were assuredly winging it. Yeah it was a hassle hauling those fans and batteries to the scenes! Actually we simply got lucky as for several shots it was windy so we tried to take advantage of it.

"'Nothing lasts forever' in the cemetery, then even more so by what was a VERY large tree that is no longer there strikes every aspect of that moment. Speechless! SO, powerful. I don't believe that is an image I will ever forget. I sincerely believe made into a print, that image would strike a chord with so many people. Truly amazing!"

We counted around 150 rings on the tree. The sun was very bright but what the heck...thanks!

Thank you for the vote of confidence. We are particularly happy that the video engaged you. We feel so many vids are, to us, choppy and hard to follow thematically. So albeit "iPhone primitive" in production you made us feel it carried the lyric home.

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Where would I start? Extraordinary production values; not a single weakness. And that video work! So well displayed on Vimeo! My favorite scene was Janice on the stump next to the cemetary. B&W a great move. Congratulations.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Wow! What a major production. What a great mix on the song. I loved the slight reverb of it all. Well written tune. Vocals were outstanding. The video was so well done. The shot of Janice sitting on a cut tree at the cemetery while singing "nothing lasts" was very poignant and pure art. Peter's guitar work is always thrilling.

Bravo!

Great collaboration.

Thank you!! We much appreciate all you said and especially for mentioning the tree stump.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Oh, you already know I LOVE THIS, and the video is a great touch. What a great song. As always the mix is masterfully done, the playing is outstanding, and the vocals cannot be better. Great choices on the supporting cast as well. You guys are my favorite band.

Thanks Marty!! And your input during production was very much appreciated.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Janice, Bud and Peter.

This is incredible. The sound of the production is stunning and the video raises the bar somewhere out past Jupiter.

Janice's vocals are absolutely extraordinary and Peter's guitar solo is so smooth and so easy on the ears.

I compliment Bud's iphone and video editing skills, too. The final presentation is a one-hundred-percent engaging production.

Super super superb entertainment.

All the best,
Noel

Thank you Noel. We are happy you liked it! It has been quite the learning experience of late diving into this type of videos. But fun albeit at times a bit tedious. We appreciate your support.

J&B

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Janice has such a beautiful voice! And you really went the extra mile with the video work. Great job and thanks for sharing!

Best,
Chantelle
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I know that when you three get together I'm in for a real treat! Now to add to Janice's outstanding vocals, Bud's lyrics and production, and Peter's fantastic guitar chops you all added the perfect video. You all are outstanding.

Loved it!

Thanks Mario. It was a challenging project and we appreciate your comments.

J&B

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Janice, Bud & Peter,

It's a wonderful song with some melancholy.
The video is very nice. So professional.
Perfect for the song.
It's a very emotional building and landscape.
Guitar is tasteful and Janice's vocals shine as usual.
Enjoyed my listen and watch a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you Shigeki for watching and the supportive review!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musician17
One of your very best - and that's saying something. Wow.

Can't wait to see the video for "Emerald". This song's in the same vein as "Emerald" - and boy does it work. And Janice's voice is getting better, better and better with each song - which I genuinely did not think was possible, given her incredible high standard anyway. We're truly spoilt to have such musicians on here.

Superb video, too. Please, never ever stop creating - it's miraculous, what you do. Thanks.

Your thoughts on our video efforts make us feel that perhaps the “old dog new tricks” notion is working! Thank you very much for the time to listen and offer those very supportive remarks.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice and Bud,

This must be one of the most PROFESSIONAL productions you guys ever did.
As always Janice's vocals are outstanding, but we were also struck by the video. Peter's contribution adds another dimension to the song.

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Janice, Bud and Peter,

So nice to see Janice acting in this movie. I only think the house needs some repair.
And so sorry I am so late with my comment. Of course I have a lot of excuses, but still...

But let me say a few words on this beautiful song.
I can imagine you threw away those flowers, Janice. It's a bad thing what happened to you.
Leave that 'hometown' is my advise. The way you told this sad story is brilliant. And the band that helped you with it is also very, very good. Of course you are now used to get this kind of compliments, but these come from across the ocean and very sincere.

I saw some post to the latest song of Floyd. They said his song should be in a jukebox in some nice pub. Well, yours too!
If that's going to happen, I'll come to visit it!

Hans

Thank you Hans. We are excited you liked the imagery for the story. And thanks for noticing the flower toss. BTW, we often feel we should’ve moved to CO when we retired smile We MUCH appreciate your comments!

J&B

User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Dear Ms. Janice, Bud, & Peter...

I watched the video three times while listening closely to the lyrics, so I could understand what the song is about. With that said, I think 'Hometown Refugee' is one of the most tragic songs I've ever heard on the User's Forum. That's not a critique, only a testimonial to the lyricist's success in communicating the mood and tone he/she seemed to want to express to the listeners.

The black & white cinematography was so sharply black & white that the shades of gray in the images almost came across as colors! An intriguing effect, even if you didn't intend to achieve it.

Ms. Janice, your solitary physical presence, wandering aimlessly through the uninhabited landscape with your downcast eyes and your troubled facial expression, added dramatic weight to your heart-broken delivery of the seemingly hopeless-sounding lyrics.

Peter, at this stage of my familiarity with your performing talents, I experienced a sudden insight that you, sir, are the true instrument! The guitars you play 'know' you and your touch so well that they can't help but translate what you're feeling in the most direct and emotionally expressive way possible.

Bud, the whole package sounds and looks like the work of a person who knows what he wants, and gets it right. As a team of artists, all of you combine and share your gifts so completely that it makes each one of your productions as distinctive and accomplished as each of you obviously are.

If I was wearing a hat, I'd tip it toward you, but I'm not, so I'll just pretend I am and tip it, anyway laugh.

P.S. I thought the percussion track (bongos, perhaps?) was a good addition to the instrument set. It simply added another musical color to the production, and perhaps brightened the feel of it, too, like a heart that still beats with life even though the owner of it wishes that it didn't.

Last edited by bluage; 10/24/21 04:41 PM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Remixed version sounds fabulous and wow Bud, outstanding job on the video! Hope we'll be seeing more moving pictures in future.
Regards,
Leon

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very pretty song!!!! Very nicely played and produced (soulful guitar Peter!), and Janice just sings the hell out of it.....I could listen to her sing all day long!!! Love it guys!! Take care. Greg

Thanks y'all!!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: firesong
Janice, Bud and Peter...this was extraordinary...the vocals are exquisite....and the style and arrangement were apropos to say the least and so well done...if I had a say and I don't the percussion didn't fit the piece IMO...it seemed a bit too busy and kept stealing my ear from the gorgeous song...I thought just a rim shot on the first part or a jazz brush kit wouldn't be as competitive in nature as the perc you have...just one opinion and it really doesn't count...but guys this is SO good and the video absolutely perfect...Wow!...Dan

Thanks, glad you liked it! We’re good with the percussion. We find the juxtaposing of something slightly upbeat with a down tune to often work. Or maybe it’s because we’ve listened to it this way for three years smile

We appreciate your time to comment and watch. And your opinion does count.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Janice, Bud, Peter...

Once again, raising the bar with "as good as it gets".

A truly STUNNING mix. NOTHING out of place. Crisp, clean, clear, yet as Warm as it can get.

Janice's vocal is (as always) the highlight. She simply never misses.

Peter guitar work is wonderful.

A truly outstanding video. The best ever presented here. A great cohesive look to the entire video.
Camera work is excellent. Lip-syncing, too!!
Amazing that you were able to find a building with Peter's name AND "guitar". wink

LOVE how you got that bird to fly away in the last shot at JUST the right time! How'd you DO that??? smile

Stunning work all around. Looking forward to where you go from here...

fj

Wow! Thank you for the support. Your mentioning of the mix was special … heck everything you said was. We nearly ran off the road when we saw that bldg with Peter’s name on it. We paid a kid to hide behind a tree and release the bird when I raised my arm smile

Your comments me a LOT to us.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Wow! That was something else.

Fantastic song both musically and lyrically. One of my favorite vocal performances from Janice.

You have an eye for the poignant images that mesh with the song. I found the video almost just as gripping as the song.

Thank you for all. Images that mesh with the song was our hoped for goal. We much appreciate you mentioning that!

J&B

Originally Posted By: dcuny
I like this one a lot. Janice's vocals are stellar, as always. Peter's great on the guitar. Nice melody and lyrics.

I'm a bit on the fence about the drums, but I'm sure if I listened a few more times, I'd come around. wink

Excellent work!

Thank you David! Yep Peter’s performance was perfect for the lyric and melody.

J&B

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
You guys already know I really like this from seeing it over on FB.

First of all, a great song! Love the lyrics and the concept.

Janice is one of my favorite singers, ever, always a treat! And the super tasteful solo from Peter is perfect.

Great mix as usual, Bud!

Really enjoyed the video, love the stills you chose, and seeing Janice do her thing. Nice to see the shot of Peter also.

I gave it a "like" over there for what that's worth wink

We always look forward to and appreciate your comments. We’re happy the vid worked for you. Thanks for commenting and noting the fb post!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
what can i say that hasnt already been said ?
4T strikes again.
i always love janices vocs. always superb.

(sadly the video kept on cutting out here, i dont know why.
sometimes the net here isnt the greatest.)

always wishing you the very best.
om

Thanks! Sorry about the net issue.

Originally Posted By: Bawb
Janice, Bud and company:
3 words for you folks...
Uh...Maze...Zing!
It has become commonplace to expect something professional sounding from you folks (kind of like a Muscle Shoals thing!) I mean, what a soulful and forlorn render. But to have a video too? As someone who often feels as if he has been banned from his hometown, this song hit kind of a tender spot. As you were singing I could see some of the same images in my head that you had in the video. Old derelict buildings that were once bustling hubs of activity and places that held such fond memories now run down and dilapidated. Or even worse, demolished and turned into a parking lot.
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the listen...and watch.

Thank you so much! We had the same feelings about our town working on the video. We much appreciate you mentioning the imagery. Thanks for all!

J&B

Originally Posted By: edshaw
Where would I start? Extraordinary production values; not a single weakness. And that video work! So well displayed on Vimeo! My favorite scene was Janice on the stump next to the cemetary. B&W a great move. Congratulations.

Thank you Ed. We often walk around that historic cemetery and that huge stump seemed to say a lot. We really appreciate you mentioning the production as we are learning as we go along.

Glad you liked it!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music
Janice has such a beautiful voice! And you really went the extra mile with the video work. Great job and thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much. It's always special when we hear from PG Music team members!
J&B

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Janice and Bud,

This must be one of the most PROFESSIONAL productions you guys ever did.
As always Janice's vocals are outstanding, but we were also struck by the video. Peter's contribution adds another dimension to the song.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Hey guys...great to hear from you. Hope you are well and thanks for the nice words!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear Ms. Janice, Bud, & Peter...

I watched the video three times while listening closely to the lyrics, so I could understand what the song is about. With that said, I think 'Hometown Refugee' is one of the most tragic songs I've ever heard on the User's Forum. That's not a critique, only a testimonial to the lyricist's success in communicating the mood and tone he/she seemed to want to express to the listeners.

The black & white cinematography was so sharply black & white that the shades of gray in the images almost came across as colors! An intriguing effect, even if you didn't intend to achieve it.

Ms. Janice, your solitary physical presence, wandering aimlessly through the uninhabited landscape with your downcast eyes and your troubled facial expression, added dramatic weight to your heart-broken delivery of the seemingly hopeless-sounding lyrics.

Peter, at this stage of my familiarity with your performing talents, I experienced a sudden insight that you, sir, are the true instrument! The guitars you play 'know' you and your touch so well that they can't help but translate what you're feeling in the most direct and emotionally expressive way possible.

Bud, the whole package sounds and looks like the work of a person who knows what he wants, and gets it right. As a team of artists, all of you combine and share your gifts so completely that it makes each one of your productions as distinctive and accomplished as each of you obviously are.

If I was wearing a hat, I'd tip it toward you, but I'm not, so I'll just pretend I am and tip it, anyway laugh.

P.S. I thought the percussion track (bongos, perhaps?) was a good addition to the instrument set. It simply added another musical color to the production, and perhaps brightened the feel of it, too, like a heart that still beats with life even though the owner of it wishes that it didn't.

Wow! You just made all the effort worthwhile.

We are very pleased you felt the tragic aspects of the song...rarely can one go back and that feeling is what we had hoped to achieve.

Thanks you for mentioning the B&W choice. We both felt that it added to the mood but were not sure others would agree.

Janice very much appreciates your description of her presence. She tries to be a bit of a method actor when she sings and now Bud is giving her a chance to express it visually smile Being a bit shy (dating back to our stage days) we were both pleased at how this seemed to come naturally. And your remarks are most supportive.

Thanks also for your thoughts on the production. We were and are learning as we go. The percussion is a toms addition that do sound like bongos and resemble what Janice would have played on her cajon. The brightening of the feel seems perhaps counterintuitive but we thought it worked and are MOST pleased that you liked it.

We so much appreciate your review!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
J&B and Peter,

What a great video and audio track! Janice, you did an excellent job syncing that vocal and your "acting" with the different scenes totally works. As good as any Nashville artist doing their own videos! Peter's guitar sounds exceptionally good here! Bud your techniques with the production of both audio/video/photography cannot be praised enough! Great work! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
J&B and Peter,

What a great video and audio track! Janice, you did an excellent job syncing that vocal and your "acting" with the different scenes totally works. As good as any Nashville artist doing their own videos! Peter's guitar sounds exceptionally good here! Bud your techniques with the production of both audio/video/photography cannot be praised enough! Great work! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey, Janice much appreciates your comments on the syncing and role playing. She was making it up mostly on site. Comparing it to pro videos is high praise indeed. I feel like we have a lot to learn but it has been a fun journey so far. Bud thanks you big time for the production comments.

Your support means a lot.

J&B

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195