Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#68080 - 03/29/10 10:26 PM [Off-Topic] Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it?
Loc: WV, USA
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

I thought this was an interesting dialog. The TED talks are usually enlightening.

It's 23 mins, so you you are forewarned. LOL. But it is worth watching.

The link is:

http://wimp.com/moralquestions/

If you take time to watch it, please let me know your thoughts.

This isn't political, ideaological or religious, by the way, in any way shape or form.

I just found it very interesting. And for a musical note, "shave and a haircut,..........two bits".

Bob

#68081 - 03/29/10 11:30 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

And for those who may be interested, the home page for TED is:

http://www.ted.com/

Good stuff. Well worth taking time to watch.

Bob

Edited by bobcflatpicker (03/30/10 07:42 AM)

#68082 - 03/30/10 06:59 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Sorry, Off topic is supposed to be related to music or PG products and our use or thoughts.

I have a wide range of opinions on a whack of things, but have recently made a decision to stay on topic here, as much as possible, unless you start to attack my (and I used this word recently which got me a lot of PM's), ethnocentric POV.

#68083 - 03/30/10 08:55 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: John Conley]
Loc: Texas
Axegrinder01 Offline
Enthusiast

Off Topic is indeed supposed to be about music related items.

However, I have seen a lot of discussions here on marginally or non-music related subjects.

Perhaps an area for non-music discussions is warranted. There are a lot of pretty smart folks on this forum from many countries and backgrounds, so I always learn something when reading the various views and opinions expressed here.

#68084 - 03/30/10 08:55 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: John Conley]
Loc: Buford, GA
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Loc: Buford, GA
"Yeah"

Edited by MikeK (03/30/10 08:56 AM)

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2019

#68085 - 03/30/10 10:52 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: MikeK]
Wyndham Offline
Expert

Quote:

Robert Gupta, violinist with the LA Philharmonic, talks about a violin lesson he once gave to a brilliant, schizophrenic musician -- and what he learned. Called back onstage later, Gupta plays his own transcription of the prelude from Bach's Cello Suite No. 1.

Here is a discussion on music that is realy at the heart of who we are here whether we are proficient at this craft or simple love the emotions of music.
This is off the link:
http://www.ted.com/

#68086 - 03/30/10 11:45 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: John Conley]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Quote:

#270070 - Tue Mar 30 2010 03:59 AM
Sorry, Off topic is supposed to be related to music or PG products and our use or thoughts.

John,

It’s interesting that you posted that on my thread just 9 minutes after starting a non-musical thread of your own:

Quote:

Close all forums?
#270069 - Tue Mar 30 2010 03:50 AM
Quick Reply

Let's have at it, pros and cons.

This is not controversy for it's own sake, it's thinking outside the box.
Move the forums to Facebook.

Cons:
1. Leave things alone, change is bad.
2. We are comfortable here, stay in our neighbourhood. (Why does it insist I spell that word wrong?)
3. Hmm.

Pros:
1. You can easily post videos, photos and everyone hangs out there = sales.
2. More sales equals more development.
3. This type of forum is outdated, and makes communication harder.

I don't know, it was a hmm moment, maybe I'm way off base, maybe not. There is a facebook group, just it's quiet...they don't even post stuff like the last build there.

Have at it guys and gals.....

Maybe we should all try and do both...???

BTW, due to Canadian laws on privacy Facebook had to make a bunch of changes and allow you options.

--------------------
John Conley
The Best Backing Tracks at PGmusic!
www.plumbingfactorybrassband.com

That’s pretty hypocritical of you, don’t you think? Or is it a “do as I say, not as I do” type of thing?

The link I posted wasn’t contentious, just interesting. Since most of the PG’ers are a pretty open minded bunch, I thought they would enjoy it.

Bob

#68087 - 03/30/10 11:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: Wyndham]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Wyndham,

Thanks for the heads up on that on. I hadn't watched it before.

Robert Gupta: Music is medicine, music is sanity

http://www.ted.com/talks/robert_gupta.html

Bob

#68088 - 03/30/10 12:32 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Loc: NW corner of S. Nowhere
rubberball103 Offline
Apprentice

So, can music save your mortal soul?

#68089 - 03/30/10 12:41 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: rubberball103]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

The post about the forums is related to the mass marketing of a piece of music software. You are nit picking.

#68090 - 03/30/10 12:42 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: rubberball103]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

rubberball103,

Quote:

Nope.

Bob

#68091 - 03/30/10 12:44 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: John Conley]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

No Conley, you were "nit picking" when you chose to comment on this thread. I was simply pointing out your hypocrisy.

Bob

#68092 - 03/30/10 01:28 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Axegrinder01 Offline
Enthusiast

Maybe a sub-forum called 'Way, way Off Topic!' Non-music related rants and opinions...

Actually, I really enjoy the vast diversity of opinions expressed here, especially from the non-USA folks. We Yanks get too insular about ourselves too often, in my opinion, and I like to hear from some different perspectives. Note that we Texans don't cotten to being called 'Yanks' very much, but we are a laid-back bunch for the most part and take that moniker in stride...mostly.

#68093 - 03/30/10 03:53 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
rubberball103 Offline
Apprentice

Quote:

rubberball103,

Quote:

Nope.

Bob

Don McClean said so!

#68094 - 03/30/10 03:54 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: rubberball103]
rubberball103 Offline
Apprentice

Picnicing is better than nitpicking.

#68095 - 03/30/10 07:52 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: rubberball103]
Loc: Victoria BC home of PG Music
Glenn Kolot Offline
Veteran

Loc: Victoria BC home of PG Music
If one needs to "get into it" with political/religious/moral/etc topics, I would suggest this:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

They sure know how to get into it.

Glenn

#68096 - 03/31/10 08:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: Glenn Kolot]
Axegrinder01 Offline
Enthusiast

Glenn: I've been a registered Harmony Central forum member for quite some time now. Yes, they do 'get into it', but not in a very logical and rational way sometimes, and there is a lot of swearing and flaming, etc.

At least here we can discuss some things from our own viewpoints with a bit of self restraint and courtesy. I find the folks here to be a very talented and pretty well-informed group, so i almost always learn something new from these 'off topic' discussions, and that's why I read them. None of my opinions are carved into stone, so I can change them and have changed some of them. I especially like to hear from folks outside of North America to get a more global perspective.

In any event, I'd like to have a place here where some non-music related topics can be discussed civilly and rationally. I don't see this getting out of hand or becoming a flame war, and it would be very informative and educational in my opinion.

#68097 - 03/31/10 11:12 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: Axegrinder01]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Something that puzzled me about this thread is there's nothing contentious about the original link.

There's no side to take. It's simply thought provoking. I just wonder how many people actually watched the link.

Maybe I shouldn't have said it was 23 mins long! LOL.

Bob

#68098 - 04/01/10 02:43 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Wyndham Offline
Expert

Bob I watched several minutes of the video and formed an opinion that was neither in favor or against his opening statements.
My thought was that again we have differences on language and the assumptions that are drawn as the basis for the discussion. There again this is neither pro or con, but the use of a subset of a language(science) to frame a context that for the speaker is valid but not to everyone in the extended group.
I wish to point out that even if every thing that he said was a valid argument the other video that I referred to about music and the communication with someone that the baseline of society disallows as a member shows that for mentally disabled, his language context can not be reconciled with the moral/science debate. My conclusion is that as most things like that it sounds interesting but is revelation's to a select group is like a tree falling in the forest, only if the tree hits me in the head does it matter.
Wyndham

#68099 - 04/01/10 05:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: rubberball103]
RickeG Offline
Journeyman

Hey rubberball, we would have to ask Buddy Holly that question since he was the one Don had in mind when he wrote the day the music died.

BTW, did anyone ever see Nacho Libre when Jack Black's tag team partner would say when asked abuot his beliefs is "I believe in science." Then, Nacho fills a little basin and dunks his team mates head in it to baptize him. Too funny! You had to see it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

Forum Stats
28434 Members
58 Forums
55224 Topics
459908 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Coskun, sbroach, GEORGES SCHIRO, Yellowkey, Hagglui78

28434 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 351
Pipeline 319