Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beginners Forum
M
OP Offline
M
Greetings to forum members, I come through this medium to find out how do I convert a .mid audio file into .smf or the other way around. To meet the need for a Roland BK-9 musical keyboard here in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro). It can be software on Windows or Linux platform. Or even a website that converts online. Thank you in advance for any form of contribution through answering this question opened here in this forum.
Respectfully,
Miguel Archangel Ferreira Duarte Júnior.

Beginners Forum
S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
You have Midi4Fun.

It allows you to convert any MIDI or Karaoke song (*.mid or *.kar) to the MIDI SMF format.
In the version I installed, the installer is in Russian, but the main interface is in English.

Member of Gig Performer team
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Maybe I have a hole in my understanding, but I thought(!) .mid and .smf were just two different file extensions for the same file format.

Certainly if I run the Linux "file" command on some .mid files, they get reported thus:

$ file *.mid *.MID
drum_patterns.mid: Standard MIDI data (format 1) using 2 tracks at 1/480
thejourneyhome.mid: Standard MIDI data (format 1) using 11 tracks at 1/120
Moondance.MID: Standard MIDI data (format 1) using 9 tracks at 1/960

I've just run file $(find . -name "*.mid") on a file tree and I believe every file reported as "Standard MIDI data...". There are hundreds. I haven't found any .smf files on my machine to compare.

Maybe if you're on Windows, which relies on file extensions rather than file formats, it's just that it isn't recognising the file for what (I think) it is.

Try just changing the file extension.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Miguel Jr
Greetings to forum members, I come through this medium to find out how do I convert a .mid audio file into .smf or the other way around. To meet the need for a Roland BK-9 musical keyboard here in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro). It can be software on Windows or Linux platform. Or even a website that converts online. Thank you in advance for any form of contribution through answering this question opened here in this forum.
Respectfully,

Hi Miguel,

I am a little confused so maybe you can help me out. A .MID file is also called a .SMF; that is a Standard Midi File.

Also there is no such a thing as a .mid audio file. MIDI is just data that is sent to a receiving synth, both hard and soft synths, tell said synth what note to play, the note's duration, and sometimes how much reverb and what panning the note(s) settings.

There are two types of MIDI files, MIDI 0 and MIDI 1. A MIDI 0 file will have all data on one track while MIDI 1 will have the data on many tracks. Are you looking to convert one MIDI file to another?

Or are you looking to convert an audio track to a MIDI track?

More information would be very helpful.

PS - I just looked up your keyboard and it will accept SMFs and that means all MIDI files will play on it. Those MIDI files will have a .mid extension, for example songtitle.mid.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
M
OP Offline
M
Grato Mário, this extension is required for the standard electronic reading system of this keyboard. That is, the pendrive it recognizes must contain .smf format files. I also know smf, which means Standard Midi Files. It would be a midi file pattern as I understand it from my internet search. But from the little contact I had with this keyboard, that's what I understood. It's to help a professional music friend who plays at night. What I got was the page https://www.converthelper.net/smf-to-midi. But the conversion fails. In other words it doesn't work. But for you to see that there is a possibility to convert from .mid to .smf or the other way around. I also found out that the Apple Program converts midi to smf, Logic X. See what can help me in the form of answers in this topic. But I need help inside Windows or Linux. Did I get to enlighten you?
Respectfully,

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Gordon's suggestion is that conversion isn't necessary, just renaming the file from xxx.smf to xxx.mid (or vice versa.)

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 11/13/21 06:47 AM.
Beginners Forum
M
OP Offline
M
Are you sure about this? But I don't have the keyboard for the test, the owner is a cousin. And he is far from me. If you're sure that just changing the end of the extensions does it, I'll pass that on to him. But it doesn't seem very coherent to me. Reflect, please.

Beginners Forum
M
OP Offline
M
That's exactly what the other fellow forum member in this thread told me. But as I told him, you have to make sure that just changing the extension will work. You are the second one who tells me this. As I said to another colleague, the keyboard is not within my reach, it belongs to a cousin who lives far away. I'm doing you a favor to try to guide you in using these files so that it can work. That from what it seems to me, from what I remember when I was with him and had access to the keyboard, the keyboard only accepted .smf format. But for me to pass this guidance on to him, just change the extension of the .mid files to .smf and that way he'll do it, he needs to be sure. So he doesn't get disoriented. Please, I will ask you to be sure and to reflect on the answer you will give me. That's right ?

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Miguel, I have reflected on my incoherent answer, and in my heart, I must admit I cannot guarantee that your .mid files will work when renamed to .smf files. I mean, they could be JPEGs for all I know.

He should try it. But if that would be too "disorienting", what can I say.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 11/13/21 08:15 AM.
Beginners Forum
M
OP Offline
M
Got it, Mark. I ask for your understanding. I will try to inform you by alerting you to what you have told me. This might not work. But I'm already grateful. Whether you're sure or not, it helps.
Respectfully,
Miguel.

Last edited by Miguel Jr; 11/13/21 09:33 AM.
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Miguel Jr
Are you sure about this? But I don't have the keyboard for the test, the owner is a cousin. And he is far from me. If you're sure that just changing the end of the extensions does it, I'll pass that on to him. But it doesn't seem very coherent to me. Reflect, please.

I am not 100% certain, no.

What I would do is to first copy the file, then change the file extension, then try the file with the new extension.

Doing that means your original file is safe from any risk of damage.

I think the worst that might happen is that the keyboard refuses to use the file.

I think the most likely result is that it will work just fine.

Beginners Forum
M
OP Offline
M
I get it, Gordon. You are the second one who tells me this. I've already guided you to make the extension change. I will wait for the result. The most that can happen is that the keyboard doesn't recognize how you spoke. But grateful for the tip.
Miguel.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I don't have a "good" answer but I do have some answers.

Per +++ MIDI.ORG +++ the main distinction between MID and SMF files appear to be where the file originates.
Quote:
(SMF) files are typically created by a "MIDI sequencer" (software or hardware) and then played on some kind of MIDI synthesizer.
. I gather from this that SMF is somewhat hardware or software specific whereas a MID file is more device agnostic and computer orientated.

+++ THIS +++ site by the US Library of Congress indicates a SMF file can contain additional data not specified in the MID file specification.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Also, some keyboards require .SMF files to be MIDI Type 0. So just ranking may not work if it's Type 1.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I don't have a "good" answer but I do have some answers.

Per +++ MIDI.ORG +++ the main distinction between MID and SMF files appear to be where the file originates.
Quote:
(SMF) files are typically created by a "MIDI sequencer" (software or hardware) and then played on some kind of MIDI synthesizer.
. I gather from this that SMF is somewhat hardware or software specific whereas a MID file is more device agnostic and computer orientated.

+++ THIS +++ site by the US Library of Congress indicates a SMF file can contain additional data not specified in the MID file specification.

I don't interpret that midi.org document as distinguishing .smf files from .mid files.

As I read this stuff, "SMF" is used as an abbreviation for "Standard MIDI File" while .mid is specified as the extension for this format.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 11/14/21 10:36 AM.
Beginners Forum
M
OP Offline
M
Mark, so you mean that maybe just changing the extension isn't enough. You mean there is a difference between .smf and .mid? Won't simply changing the extensions make the keyboard e-reader read or recognize the newly renamed .mid files to .smf ?

PS : Still no response from the keyboard owner (about the extension change).

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
The MIDI.org file specification does not specify any file extension, just the formats that may be used within the file.

Ableton has this to say (rather ungrammatically):
"""
[Ableton] Live can import standard MIDI files in the three main formats (SMF0, SMF1 and SMF2) with either *.mid or *.smf file extensions.

[Ableton] Live exports MIDI files in the SMF0 format only, with the extension *.mid.

While MIDI files may have the same file extensions (*.mid or *.smf), from the outside, it's not possible to tell which format a specific MIDI file is actually using. This information is stored in its header chunk only and can be revealed by opening the file with a hex editor. The format of a MIDI file is initially defined by the device or software the file is created with.
"""
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209068169-Understanding-MIDI-files

All of which strongly suggests that the file extension is a local convention, but that any particular application may or may not accept all three types of content (SFM0, SMF1 or SMF2).

So whether or not the keyboard will accept the renamed file depends upon the content.

I have not tried very hard, but I have so far failed to find any .smf files to compare with a .mid file.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Here is the manual for the Roland BK-9:

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/BK-9_e3.pdf

On page 44, it says the device can handle Standard MIDI Files (SMF) with extensions .mid or .kar (I looked into .kar and it's an unofficial way to package lyrics with MIDI.)

The manual says not a word about .smf files. I am guessing they are mythical, having arisen in song and legend because "SMF files" could be misinterpreted to mean files with that extension.

Hey, here's a guy who thought he had the exact same problem, it turned out his .mid files were fine, he just needed to reformat his USB stick on the piano!
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3055662/re-have-mid-files-cant-play-on-keyboars-says-needs-smf.html

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 3.17.39 PM.PNG (104.23 KB, 90 downloads)
Last edited by Mark Hayes; 11/14/21 10:37 AM.
Beginners Forum
M
OP Offline
M
So Mark, in short, it might not be correct to say that changing the extensions from .mid to .smf means that it will work. Or will it work? Or do you also want to say that there is no mention of smf in the manual? Did not quite understand. Because from what I remember in the keyboard menu, when I was with it, it made reference on the pen drive to the need for .smf files as I remember.
I await the answer,
Miguel.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Miguel, remember, I do not possess a BK-9 keyboard myself.

I located and referred you to the manual. The manual says the files should be type SMF, extension .mid

The thread on the other forum suggests it might be wise to format the USB stick on the BK-9 itself, rather than a computer, before loading files.

Please read the manual and try something and see if it works.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 11/15/21 04:35 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,476
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195